Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So now that my ISP has introduced a 2 A.M. to 8 A.M. unlimited download Window, I want to exploit the hell out of it. I had a look around for some FTP software with scheduling but I can't seem to track down a free solution (or at least cheaper than $40); FileZilla doesn't have scheduling. I might also be keen for some kind of application that sets system-wide network speed limits that I can turn on and off as needed, so I can queue up some downloads that will go at 20 kilobytes per second or something until 2 A.M. when it rams up. That might be too system-intrusive of a solution, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Atltais posted:

Have you tried WinSCP? I mostly use it for SCP transfers but it's perfectly servicable for FTP as well. Here's a guide on scheduling.

Sweet, took some scripting but got the job done. Thank you!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

How do I get Win7 to show Korean/Chinese fonts correctly? I remember selecting at whole bunch of stuff in Win XP but I can't find the same in Win7.

Since we're no longer in the days when hard drives come in 10-20 gig sizes, Vista and 7 should install these automatically. However, some software in those languages may expect your "Language for non-Unicode programs" setting to be changed (this is in Control Panel\Region and Language\Administrative).

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 28, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've had a bit of a spat of clients accidentally deleting files from their network shares at an inopportune time, and them not being content with whatever file is recovered from Previous Versions because they still lose the last 2-3 hours of work if their timing sucks. Is there a good write-up, hopefully directly from Microsoft, as to why there's no Recycle Bin functionality for server shares (I'm aware that there's technical reasons for it, I just have no idea how to explain it)?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Regular Windows CD will not work with the Acer Windows key.

This actually hasn't been a problem for a really long time. Installing from ANY Home Premium disc should work; he might have to call Microsoft to fully activate, but it should work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

I'm a fan of Virtual CloneDrive.

This gets my vote as well.

On another note, is there such thing as software that will intelligently impose network rules when you're travelling? My dad often goes to remote parts of the world with only data-limited satellite internet and Windows will still try and pull monthly updates in those circumstances; I'd rather not lower the rules if I can help it because the updates will never get installed then. At the very least something with an on/off switch that'll change the Microsoft Update settings, and having support for other software with auto-updates would be a plus too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure what the future of this thread will be but I gave the OP a long-overdue update and cleanup.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mik posted:

Home and Business: "1 User / 2 PCs" - how do they know/enforce the 'same user' bit? I've seen them say for Home and Business has is ostensibly for 1 home PC and 1 portable PC, but surely they don't actually care if it's two regular PCs?

This is not something they enforce in the software but it IS something you can get burned on in a software audit. The basic rule with Microsoft is "if you did something the license agreement doesn't agree with and we find out you're in trouble," no matter how successful you are with multiple activations.

If you're a company with 7 devices used by different people you will need 7 copies, period. You basically have two options:

- Straight-up buying 7 copies. You can buy the version that only comes with a product key (no install media) and save $700.

- Subscribing to Office 365, which has some optional plans that include licenses for Office Professional Plus 2010; cost is something like $25 per user per month.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sub $40 it's not happening.

Blu-ray encryption is constantly updated, and ripping software likewise has to keep up in the DRM arms race which is a pretty significant challenge requiring a lot of man hours. The best software I'm aware of that does this is AnyDVD HD, but they stopped offering lifetime subscriptions a while back, and their cheapest plan is 63 Euros for one year. DVDFab has similar software for $60/year or $105/lifetime but I can't vouch for it specifically.

Once you have a decrypted rip, you can throw the files into RipBot264, which is free and has iPhone-compatible presets.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have a feeling the protection being less efficient has more to do with all the virus programmers dealing with MSE being the new king of the block, in a way. It happened with Norton, it happened with AVG...I think it's just not possible to be the number one AV solution for very long just by nature of the industry. Probably not enough of an issue right now to worry about changing your family members' PCs over or whatever, but might be worth exploring for yourself. ZoneAlarm seemed to have the highest rating out of the free antivirus solutions, and Bitdefender had the highest overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

qBittorrent was great.

Except it literally forgot where it was in every torrent loaded into it after a crash. Sure, it might be just fine rechecking things (I can't speak for people who run torrents the size of a five-year-old hard drive), but it's hard to trust a piece of software after an incident like that.

uTorrent has done this to me pretty much every time it's crashed.