Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat
Small question, although not likely anyone will know until actual release. I got windows 7 professional from my school (private license, not a VLK) and am curious if I'll be able to use the windows anytime upgrade or whatever to just pay the difference (20 bucks) to upgrade to ultimate, or if it won't be available due to something configured differently in the software. Maybe I should try and install off the RTM ISO instead of the one they provided with my key and see if it's interchangeable.

On a side note, a few questions about the anytime upgrade (assuming it's the same as vista, which I don't have). When you buy it, you can only immediately upgrade in-place on the computer you just bought it on? So if I have it installed to my two desktops and laptop, I'd need to buy it three times? Or does it give you a new (ultimate) key or upgrade your old key that you could just install off an ultimate edition ISO with? Or, is there any way to actually have a disc mailed to you after you purchase an upgraded version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat
I got my copy of Win7 Pro off the MSDN before my account ended about two weeks before retail release, but just got around to installing it on a new computer. Built and posted fine, everything checks out, pop in the DVD and after it winds up... I get:

Not sure what the issue is here, but looking around online a few others had it back on the RC. System is using LITE-ON optical drives, and installation is RTM x64. Kinda weird, since I installed x86 fine on my laptop a month ago twice without issues. If you need a full system spec I'll write it out, in the meantime I guess I can try to find another image of the disc or something.

Kuroneko fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 19, 2009

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat

thrawn86 posted:

I have this exact same problem on a friends machine, using an MSDN x64pro iso on a flash drive (system has no dvd drive). its maddening. I've tried two different copies now. the same iso has successfully installed win7 on 3 other machines with no issue.

Well, I solved my issue by bothering a friend who still has his MSDN account to provide me with a fresh copy of the ISO. It was a different size, 3.0GB vs 2.75GB, but after burning it it installed flawlessly with no issues. I'm just gonna guess that the ISO I downloaded was incomplete or corrupted in some manner which is odd since it passed the verification check at the end. Oh well.