Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For some reason, MS Word decided to make itself the default program for opening HTML shortcuts and .URL links in my system directory. I managed to change the .HTML back to Firefox with the 'Open with always' setting.

However, .url extensions(like when I click 'Launch Dropbox website') still open with MS Word. Any idea on how to change that? Clicking properties on .URL files doesn't give me an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Excellent! Worked great, thanks!

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone know why Windows 7 is randomly giving me issues installing software and/or updates?

Recently, when installing, for example, Dropbox or VLC updates, it'll give me a dialog box. It'll say to install for the current user "RovingReporter-PC\Roving Reporter" or run the program as the following user:, to which it will have Administrator typed in for the username and password dialog box empty.

The thing is, my account is set up as an Admin account with no login password, and only another limited account on the PC. Messing with the user settings so far hasn't yielded anything.

Virus or malware maybe?

Ideas?

Edit: Cancelling it gets "unable to elevate, error 6".

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 22, 2011

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I guess this is the closest (active) thread to ask about a random VPN. I need a proxy/VPN for only 4-5 times per month at most, and then, not even every month. Bandwidth would vary based on HD, etc but I'm just curious on who to use.

Any suggestions?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I didn't see any replies to this: OpenVPN has been very good for me - I did a basic tutorial on how to get it set up and running some time back, so let me know if you need it.

If you could link me to the post/article on that, that'd be awesome. I tried HideMyAss VPN before posting earlier and I was pulling down a mere 500kbps from the UK. Thankfully, they refunded my money.

Basically, I would like to watch MLB.tv during blackout games or times. Since they have same blackout policy as the US, I can't use servers there either. So finding a non-US/Canadian server that allows me to stream fast enough for HD is what I'm hoping for.

StrongVPN seems to have OpenVPN but they're pricey. Would it be better/cheaper to set up OpenVPN on my own or is there something I'm just not getting?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So, this may be one of those "I'm an idiot" moments and if so, make fun.

My friend told me that, for security, I should password protect the the default Win7 Admin account and disable it, which I did. However, I later find out on my 2 standard accounts can't elevate to admin privileges at all nor can I re-enable the default admin account thru CMD, etc.

Should I just wipe clean and reinstall Win7? All of my stuff is backed up on an external, so that's not a big deal, I'm more just irritated I didn't think it all the way through if it is the case.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Masked Pumpkin posted:

UBCD is probably your best bet - you can use the 'Offline NT password editor' under Data Recovery to reset your admin password, and enable it if it's been blocked or locked out. The Win7 admin account should be disabled, and is by default - you'll need to confirm your UAC is set up correctly.

Awesome tool, thanks for the suggestion. Worked very well! :)

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

So as a follow up to my previous posts, I created a a recovery partition using syslinux for my USB drive.

Now Windows 7 says "unrecognizable device" anytime I plug it in. Going to Disk Management to format, along with trying OSX or Linux VMs have failed.

How would I go about formatting my USB disk back to NTFS?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

c0burn posted:

Start > cmd > Run as admin

Then use the diskpart tool on the command line, the "clean" command is probably what you need. Be careful

Thanks. Unfortunately it has been appearing/disappearing both as a volume and a disk. Both efforts to clean the disk or delete the partition have failed.

Hopefully messing around with diskpart a bit more will fix it after a few restarts.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 24, 2011

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Crisis posted:

I'm about to start building a PC for the first time, after several years of being Mac-exclusive. I'm in the market for some anti-virus software. In the OP it mentions that NOD32 is "the undisputed king of commercial anti-virus solutions", but doesn't explain the reasoning behind it. My family are all running Norton, would somebody care to elaborate on how NOD32 is different?

Much lighter footprint and higher detection rate. I switched a few years back and couldn't be more pleased. That, along with Malwarebytes and the occasional CCleaner run work fine.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone know of a software solution that will scan X directory along with its sub-directories and convert new video files into MP4 format?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for video conversion software that can do some basic editing? It doesn't matter if it is paid, as I can write it off as an expense.

Some nice things would be:

-CUDA/multiple processor support
-able to deal with multiple formats such as mov, avi, mkw, etc
-ability to do some light editing such as rotating

I'm sick of dealing with MOV files from my iPhone, such as having the rotation pain in the rear end unless it's in QuickTime.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

On the subject of Outlook, is there no way to make Gmail and it(or any desktop email client) work the same way Exchange/Google Sync on iPhone works? Instantly sync all calendars and mail with notifications? Or is IMAP the best that can be done?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Does anyone have advice on how to speed up scanning time? I've tried both the HP Scan software and Adobe Acrobat, which makes me think its more of a hardware limitation than software.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I love snarky customer service when you decide to stop using their product. Granted, these people are an ESET reseller it looks like but still. Short story, I received a reminder that my NOD32 license was about to expire and respectfully replied that I couldn't justify it anymore.

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for the reminder about my subscription. However, as a student, I cannot justify paying $30 a year when MS Security Essentials is just as good and free of charge.

Thank you.

To what I received this morning

quote:

Really Roving Reporter? Just as good?

Microsoft Security Essentials does VERY poorly in tests of antiviruses:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/compare?id=70&id2=14

In the RAP scores - MSE scores about 79% on detection of reactive (meaning known threats from databases) - and 76% on proactive - this is HORRIBLE in terms of how "protected" you are...

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug-Feb12-850.jpg

good luck though...

kind regards
XXXX

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well most threads/test reports in the last year here seem to indicate that MSE is fine and there's no reason to pay for an AV solution, ESP with Malwarebytes as well.

Regardless, that sort of snarky response rubbed me the wrong way.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

CHARLES posted:

That's the thing that shocks me the most

Yeah, it was the third one I got asking/begging me to renew. Should have spammed it but I guess work has me brainwashed with "REPLY TO EMAIL" syndrome. :eng99:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I recently started using em Client and really like it. Its free for home users but has a limit of 2 email accounts. It has native support for google calendar, tasks, contacts though.

I'm debating on whether or not to get a paid, $50 license. Right now I only have my high priority email accounts set up while I test it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For those of you willing to drop :10bux:, ninite updater is pretty awesome. I've been using it for about a month and it seamlessly updates all the programs you have installed.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

glasnost toyboy posted:

Is there a decent 'modern' irc client? I don't need much in the way of scripting or configuration, just something lightweight that doesn't look quite as 90's as mIRC and it's clones.

I wish something like Textual for Mac was available for Windows. Thing is spiffy like no other.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Check out launchy. It's like Alfred/Spotlight on Mac.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Not sure if I'm late to the party on this but Microsoft just killed Technet, announced today.

Sad, sad day. :ohdear:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

It's really amazing how poo poo AV vendors are at creating consumer-facing software.

I've been using NOD32 for the past 4 years and never found it to hinder me or be resource heavy. Certainly staying clear of McAfee or Norton obviously. Maybe I'm just foolish? :shrug:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I was wondering why I could no longer connect to my VPS after upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04.1 x64, to which I found these results.

CuteFTP posted:

It is unknown at this time if CuteFTP 9 will be revisited for supporting newer ciphers and MACS.

Anyone have suggestions for a good Windows client that supports segmented downloading via SFTP?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'll check both out, thanks. The problem is hat downloading from my server in Europe rarely maxes out my connection (West Coast US). Terrible routing and distance are likely a factor I can do little about.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Reading about Windows 10 and auto-restart fuckery the last few pages. I'll try to fix it when I'm home but I'm pissed.

- I did TeamViewer Easy Access, worked after restart

- Nope, decided to restart on me after 2-3 days of being gone.
- WakeonLAN? Nope

If LogMeIn weren't such money grubbing fucks, we could (hopefully) get that same thing. Even better as a group deal.

tl;dr I'm locked out of home til the 7th.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

How does this compare to Divvy? I've purchased it for Mac and works well but I've never heard of TidyTab or AquaSnap.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

After using 1Password for about a week now, both the Mac App and extensions are much more polished than LastPass. The Windows version still has some work to do but isn't too bad if you're on the beta builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

hooah posted:

I recently switched to MusicBee from foobar and have been pretty happy.

I'm pretty happy with MusicBee as well due to not liking the PITA of foobar.