Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Is there a way to clear the jump lists for explorer and ie8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

kode54 posted:

Right click on item, "Remove from this list" ? Works for Explorer, at least.

That's really not the best way. Its annoying as IE8 jumplist populate even when in stealth mode will still populate.

Anyway, I found if your trying to clear all the pron you viewed [or other embarrassing things] you can right click on your start menu and unselect the option that says keep pinned items jumplists. Hit apply, then reselect it. Now no one will know!

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Nope. Windows 7 has built in codecs for AVC,VC1, and Mpeg2 the 3 codecs used in blu-rays. These codecs are written with hardware acceleration in mind. There is also a codec for standard Mp4 [not divx? Not too sure haven't tested].

These codec work well for most well-spec/encoded videos. But some poorly encoded ones it'll have difficulty playing the files. FFDshow is a lot more flexible, but isn't DXVA compatible.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I think if I'm going to go to Windows 7 on my media center PC, I will probably have to go with 32bit if only because of the annoyance with the codec situation.

In the RC 64 bit I had the following issue that I could never figure out.
1. Switch media player to 64. Use command line thing and registry switch.
2. Try to play an Mp3 and open taskman, notice how WMPlayer has a * next to it :(.

I also couldn't get resampling of audio working in FFDShow in x64, and my crappy realtek integrated audio wouldn't send 44hz through SPDIF it would send garbage.

This wouldn't be so bad but the codec situation was a nightmare in that you needed both a 64 bit and a 32 bit codecs, sometimes Media Center would use FFDShow x64 audio, sometime x32 and my favorite is sometime it didn't use either and I would get no sound. WMPlayer would never used FFDshow video.
Also Arcsoft TMT3 seem to crash more on x64 using the media center plugin. [which also didn't downmix but thats a different issue...]

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Xenomorph posted:

Ditto.

I've been running 64-bit Windows for a long time now. I didn't switch because I wanted to start using 64-bit-EVERYTHING, I switched so all of my 32-bit applications had more breathing room. I have 8 Gigs RAM, and all my 32-bit apps are pleased as punch, as they all get to grab their 2 Gigs or whatever and not have to fight.

When I try to think of any disadvantage of 64-bit Windows, the driver-signing requirement is the only thing I can think of.

I think WinRAR is the only 64-bit application I've bothered downloading. I know 64-bit would help something like that.

If you can't find 64-bit Codecs, then how the hell will switching to 32-bit Windows make things better???
Using all your 32-bit stuff on 64-bit Windows is better than using it under 32-bit Windows.
I can find 64 bit codecs that's not the problem! Its the inconsistent usage of them. If you switch WMP to 64 bit it will randomly decide to run in 32 bit mode. It also may decide to play back certain things in 32 bit mode, and sometimes simultaneously. Having both FFDShow 32 and 64 bit installed can lead to really hosed up results like 2 FFDShow audio decoding something [and butchering my ears in the process]. The "best" you can hope for is that it will play video in 64 and audio in 32 and even that is sketchy at best. Plus in x64 using WMP in 32bit mode it doesn't resample my audio. In Vista 32 I never had this problem. My Media center PC can only support 2 gigs of ram and a 512 meg video card so I don't need the extra address space. I'm not even sure I will update it despite my company granting me a MSDN subscription.

Yes, I can use MPC-HC x64 and that works pretty well, but I like media center and the built-in codecs for windows 7 sometimes choke on files that FFDshow will play fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Greenfield posted:

Isn't Windows Media Center only 64bit on Windows 7 64bit? I can play .mkv on WMP, but I can't play them in WMC because I don't have 64bit codecs installed.

Maybe I am wrong though.

Not quiet. its a WPF app in x64, but the playback engine is still WMP and so it can switch down to 32bit for some illogical reason.

And before you say don't install 64 bit codecs if you use MC you sort of need to or else [sometimes] it won't be able to split an MKV. At minimum you need a splitter for MKVs in 64bit and potentially other things if your need is there, like audio mixing.