Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

A little bit off topic, but does anyone know if Windows Vista Ultimate Retail keys are both 32-bit/64-bit or limited to either?

I don't have the CD, but I have a valid genuine CD-key that I won in a contest. Contest was limited to the US so I had it sent to someone else who emailed me the key. My currently installed version of Windows Vista Ultimate is 32-bit, so I don't know if it's limited to that or if I can flatten and install 64-bit with the same key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit no problem.

If I upgrade to Windows 7 RC 64-bit 7100 now, will I have to reinstall Vista Ultimate 64-bit and do an anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium when it's officially released?

Or something.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Goddamn, Windows 7 is slick as gently caress. I particularly like the new taskbar and Aero Peek function, though I had to switch it to small icons as it was a bit large for my tastes. It's seriously more awesome than I expected.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

If you're in the UK, can you preorder from Amazon.com? I've never needed to before, but co.uk isn't doing the promotion.

EDIT: Nevermind "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

These EU rulings are the biggest bullshit I've ever seen. Take out Internet Explorer? Well ok no problem. Only now theres no way to download an alternative browser... :psyduck:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

There's really no legal basis to force one computer company to bundle someone else's product, in Europe or otherwise. That's why Microsoft decided to remove the browser in Europe.

But that makes people hate Microsoft more. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Now people in Europe have to jump through a bunch of hoops to put a browser on their computer.

They wouldn't blame the EU for it, they'd just be pissed at Microsoft that their product needs hoop jumping to work. It's a terrible idea shipping an OS with no inbuilt way to download any browser at all.

It's horrible business sense to choose nothing instead of offering alternatives.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

Home premium suits me loving fine. I just want an affordable windows :(

I'm kind of annoyed on the fast turnaround between windows Vista and 7, I only just got vista a year ago goddam. I can't keep dropping shitloads of cash on a new OS every year.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Considering that Vista hit GA in January of '07, and 7 is going to hit GA toward the end of October (that's just shy of 3 years of GA in case your calculator's broken), your argument is full of poo poo.

Just because you waited 1.5 years to get with the program doesn't mean they're forcing things on you at a pace you can't handle.

Three years just seems pretty short, especially in light of the fact that XP had an official lifetime of twice that (2001-2007), and thats completely ignoring the vast subset of users who haven't even bothered upgrading to Vista for the last 2 years.

Besides, when did I say it was a pace I couldn't handle? :confused: . It's just annoyingly expensive if you bothered upgrading to Vista lately. The OS market never really struck me as being cut-throat state of the loving art industry. Three year turnaround is shorter than the lifetime of most game consoles. And games consoles are exhibit A for a constant upgrading market.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

So basically, you're mad because they're... back on their regular release schedule, seeing as vista was 3 years late?

Since when did being annoyed become being mad? But yeah, I guess I am a lil' annoyed that their regular release schedule is so short.

Sorry for having a differing opinion? :ohdear:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

WizardShotFood posted:

Yeah I tried amazon and they had a Pre-Order Now button and it was in my basket but now its gone again, so I think I'll wait till tomorrow when the dust has settled. Hope everyone doesnt go nuts and the 350 units or however many stores have sell out overnight...

Do they only have 350 units available under the preorder promo?

gently caress, I'm waiting till I get a job sometime in the next month before buying it. Leaving it to the last minute. drat, I hope I can scrouge up enough money before they run out - I dont wanna pay double.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

kapinga posted:

If its anything like the American sales (it should be) your card won't be charged until the product ships.

Thanks! I tried pre-ordering it, my debit card doesn't have the cash right now but I'll undoubtedly be able to get the money in before it officially ships.

Seems to have been successful, thanks man. Probably saved me over £100.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

univbee posted:

I just tried Windows 7 on my first generation Asus EEE PC, but unfortunately the results were pretty lackluster. Even after using vLite, it's near-impossible to get it down to a size where the 4 gig main hard drive is useable, plus I don't think disabling the physical pagefile was an option. I messed around with it for a while and ultimately went back to Windows XP on it. I think 7 should work fine on netbooks that had Vista on them, and any modern netbook should be fine, particularly if it doesn't use a solid state drive (or has a very large one, like a single 16 gig drive or larger) and has a minimum of 1 gig of RAM. Looks like at least one of my computers will be stuck on XP.

They make computers with 4GB hard-drives? My USB thumb drive is twice that and cost me a fiver.

Probably a bad idea to run Win 7 on a 4GB hard drive.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Gah, try as hard as I may, I cannot get HDMI audio to work with Windows 7.

I have a Dell XPS M1330, running Windows 7 RC 7100. The TV is a Panasonic Viera 37" HDTV. All drivers are up to date as I could get them.

When I switch the TV to HDMI input and then connect the laptop, it switches the video fine, 1050p, no problems with video. But the sound only comes from the laptops speakers, not the TV's considerably stronger onboard speakers. The common fix online is to set the HDMI TV as the default playback device, but I can't.

When I rightclick the volume icon and select Playback Devices, the only option I have is laptop speakers. This is true even if I rightclick and check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

I've googled around and tried every possible method of making it work, restarting while connected to HDMI, setting HDMI on the TV before connecting it, I've gone to the TV's Sound menu and set 'HDMI audio' to Digital or Analogue (neither make any difference).

I'm thinking of just going back to Vista if I can't get this working, see if that does it. It will probably still be broken, but I might rule out Win 7 RC as a factor.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Maybe your laptop's HDMI port is video only.

I've checked about actually, and it seems to do both video and audio most of the time. But like fishmech says it's a bit dodgy even with Vista and XP.

I found a pair of speakers, though, and I'm just using them in conjunction with the HDMI. It seems to work fairly well so far, probably better than the TV speaker to be honest. I might upgrade the speakers to a properly decent set in future if I have the cash.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'm glad I'll be able to keep windows 7, I like it a lot for most anything else.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I posted earlier about HDMI sound being non-existent on the 7100 RC. I'm very happy to report that there is no longer any issue with the RTM version. Sound and video both play perfectly fine through HDMI now.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Hey is this the best deal for a legit copy of Windows, if you have access to an EDU account:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

Well there are CD-Key only sites like G2A where you can get it a bit cheaper (its $23.63 here for example) if you obtain the installation CD/files from elsewhere.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I can't vouch for how legit the keys are. They're usually resold keys from cheaper regions like Russia but not specifically locked to that region/language. I've never had any issues with them in the past but that's no guarantee.

It's cheap but not without potential risk. I'm only pointing it out because it's cheaper than that student deal. Otherwise the student deal is probably the cheapest you're gonna get it directly from Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Is Windows 10 Good you guys?

It's not bad. Does the job, things work, look's OK, cost me nothing. I don't use Cortana or Edge browser so it may as well be Windows 7 with a custom theme for me.