Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So is there any reason not to just grab Windows 7 via a TechNet subscription, other than Microsoft's "please stop using this when your membership expires" thing? Me and a friend both have multiple machines we'd like to upgrade, and splitting a TechNet membership with him is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying four or five seperate full copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Ryokurin posted:

only 10 activations.

per CD-Key, or per account?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Lenins Potato posted:

People in the tech-net thread said you get 10 activations per key, but after 10 you get a prompt to call into MS for the automated system to clear you.

OK, I can't imagine ever needing to activate 10 times on the same machine anyway. Thanks!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Welp, installed RTM on both desktop and laptop today. I'm shocked at two things: number one, it installed in less than half an hour on both, and number two, it's the first new version of Windows I've ever used where I didn't run up against a bunch of obnoxious quirks on day one

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

My drat internet connection just dies every so often. I don't know whether it's Win7, or nVidia's fault.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I'm having a very strange problem on my laptop now...every so often, while typing, my cursor will just shoot to some random spot in the document, usually magically appearing a few columns back or a row or two up or down. What the hell? It never did this in Vista

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Harry Totterbottom posted:

Do you have a touch pad? If so it might have the tap = click feature enabled.

Yup...where can I disable that feature? Windows just seems to see it as a generic PS/2 mouse. For actual pointing, I use a wireless mouse, but I don't want to disable the pad if I don't have to.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

I thought, based on 10 minutes with the beta, I would hate it.

Within 30 minutes of installing the RTM, it was the most natural thing in the world.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

On the screensaver tip, is there ANY free Windows clone of OS X's Mosaic screensaver?

Joe Don Baker posted:

A couple pages ago there were some users having issues with Nvidia board NICs. I had this same issue today after installing the RTM. Instead of using the Win7 drivers from Nvidia, I'm using their Vista x64 driver and it works fine so far. I'm not sure why, as I bet they are the same exact thing.

My problem went away when I switched my local network IP from a DHCP-issued IP to a static one (which I had done on Vista for port-forwarding and hadn't done it in 7 yet)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

kevdude posted:

The nForce drivers for my 680i that automatically installed were from April. I updated from the nVidia site to drivers from May and the disconnects still happen. I'm assuming that new proper Windows 7 drivers will be released soon, so I guess I'll suffer until then.

Mine started doing this again (nForce 570) after I thought I'd solved the problem. Since then I've turned off IPv6 and discovered that for some utterly insane reason Windows is set to turn it "off" to save power. After fixing those it seems to be more stable.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I think I FINALLY got a working fix for this stupid nForce disconnection bug; going under "advanced" for your networking controller, disabling Receive Side Scaling finally made it so I could stay connected for more than a couple of hours at best

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

fishmech posted:

You should basically never do a clean install of Windows unless it gets hosed over by virtumonde-type poo poo. If you're doing clean installs of Windows every few months the time that costs you is more than however small amount you save from things being "faster".

someone make this guy gas chamber only again, tia

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Man-Eating Cow posted:

So if I get a Blu-ray drive I won't be able to get full resolution through VGA for Blu-ray?

If said Blu-Ray is HDCP-protected, no. On the other hand, there ain't a whole lot that actually is HDCP-protected, I don't think.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Half the reason most people who hated Vista and DID try it was because anything new or different in the computing world, in Windows especially, is greeted with hatred and scorn. See also the complete and utter shitfits everyone I know had over the Ribbon interface in Office 2007.

:confused: What's the problem? The organization makes a lot more sense than a bunch of random dinky unintuitive buttons
:cry: BAWWWW I KNEW WHERE EVERYTHING WAS IN 2003, THIS loving SUCKS
:confused: But...it makes sense. It's like a drawer full of neatly labelled files to 97-03's shoebox full of junk
:cry: I FEAR CHANGE, AND I SHALL KEEP MY SHOEBOX

I liked Vista alot, to the point where I didn't even complain about buying it for a ridiculous sum, but Win7 really does slap the poo poo out of it for me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Twiin posted:

I had to uninstall it after it was using 40%-80% CPU any time I was doing anything. Like using Winamp.

As an aside, why are there no media players that deal well with hundreds of gigs of music? Windows Media Player was doing so well until most of the music vanished from the library. (Every time I try to get into foobar I just bash my head against a wall until I feel better.)

Have you tried the Zune software? Granted I'm only using about 60GB for my music library, but after it initially looks over everything it's just peachy

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Footboy posted:

just in case Creative gets their heads out of their asses

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahha

EDIT: Does ninite let you choose what drive or folders it installs everything to? I keep Windows+drivers on a seperate partition from apps

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

dMastri posted:

So any gadgets that aren't worthless/tacky?

Magic Folder, The Weather Channel, and your wireless gadget of choice

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Why the hell is UMonit.exe constantly pegging one of my cores at or near 100%? From what I can find online it monitors your USB ports but this drat thing shouldn't be eating up one of my cores.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

Looks like you get yourself a trojan there.

Googling basically turned up a bunch of "it's part of a card reader driver" descriptions/explanations, and exactly one "it's a trojan that somehow no one else has ever noticed and OEMs ship it on driver CDs and somehow UAC, the firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus software all overlook it".

Uh...yeah. Still killing the process anyway.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

krushgroove posted:

I like that god mode thing, lots of stuff easily found. I pinned the shortcut for the folder to my start menu.

I have a question about Super Audio CDs - I haven't found anything that says clearly one program or another will play it in 7, is anyone aware of something like Winamp, VLC, etc., that will play my one and only SACD?

Most of Sony's own A/V equipment won't even read SACD; it's a format that's pretty much been dead on arrival

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for that, there was me hoping I could listen to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1! Looks like it's finally time to get an HDMI upscaling DVD player, many of them have SACD capabilities. Thanks everyone who answered.

Some kind soul dumped the 5.1 layer to DTS a few years back, and it's still floating around out there somewhere.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

SRQ posted:

Cough.
Does Win95 work fully with VPC 2007?

Win95 and 98 can be made to work with it. Ubuntu too for that matter, though Kubuntu never seems to want to work.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Landerig posted:

Right now I see Aero as a gimmick, UAC as annoying and insulting to my intelligence

what is wrong with you

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Landerig posted:

For me the Win 2000 theme is familiar. I know how it works.

Do you really consider the learning curve that steep? Seriously?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Landerig posted:

I bitterly clung to 98 until about a month before MS dropped all support for it

I'm sure the many hours you wasted on restarting/reinstalling that unstable piece of garbage was worth it

Landerig posted:

I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm just trying to make you guys see it from my point of view.

So are creationists, what's your point?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Landerig posted:

I got to admit finding images in my folders is pretty neat with the icons showing as images. I know XP had this feature, but at the time I found it slow, it made my hard drive churn, and the thumbs.db file took up more room then I wanted it to. Hm, I don't know where Win 7 is storing its thumbnail database. That's kinda annoying, but...

Yeah, I think I can afford the space for thumbnails now

I can't imagine anytime after, say, 1995 that the space taken up by thumbs.db would actually be an issue.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Landerig posted:

Hm, just noticed this:

Mouseover to show basic play controls? I don't know if that's Win 7 or Winamp, but I kinda like it.

how's your winsock doing, is it pretty good

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

It seems 7/2008R2 SP1 is now final, and should be turning up in the next few days. This is why that previously mentioned patch from october suddenly became required.

Final build number: 7601.17514.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850

Any chance of having links to legit ISOs with SP1 already slipstreamed when they emerge? I could have sworn the OP used to have exactly that, but it seems to have disappeared or been modded off

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

How long is it usually until SP1-integrated install ISOs would go up?

When a Service Pack comes out I prefer to be ridiculously anal about it and do a fresh integrated install, rather than just install the service pack.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

iRoNgHosT posted:

Anyone else have problems after SP1 installed? My computer poo poo itself bad. It doesn't like my hardware I'm guessing. It seems people with EVGA video cards are having the same problem. Guess I'm gonna reinstall tomorrow and do manual updates as to avoid the SP1 install.

Only one I've noticed is XP Mode refusing to run due to a lack of hardware virtualization on my laptop. It had no problem doing so prior to my SP1 flatten/reinstall.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

fishmech posted:

would have broken a lot of poorly coded stuff.

That one partial sentence explains almost every shortcoming Windows still has.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

baxate posted:

It's just disgusting that I even had this problem with Vista and Microsoft has done gently caress all to fix it in the last 3 years.

:argh: MIKKKRO$HAFT :argh:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Someone tell me why the gently caress people want to stay with XP again?

MY MEGAHURTZ

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Lum posted:

Now I need some help. My GF is playing about with stitching photos together and the software she's using (Hoogin, or something like that) was refusing to work, except for this one time where it spat out a 3GB uncompressed TIFF file.

Windows can display a thumbnail of this thing, but nothing she's tried can open it (so far I think that's GIMP in both 32 and 64 bit forms, Windows Image Preview and Irfanview)

Know of anything else she can try? OS is 64bit Windows 7 but we also have XP and Linux available.

Windows Live Photo Gallery does a pretty decent job of stitching together panoramas. It's what I use for stuff like this anyway

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Speaking of photos, I have a little quandry. I have two folders...let's say folder 1 has 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, 04.jpg, 05.jpg, etc.

Now let's say folder 2 has some photos from folder 1, resized smaller, with the same names...say, 01.jpg, 03.jpg and 04.jpg. These photos are geotagged, captioned, and tagged, while the pictures in folder 1 are not.

Is there any easy way to apply the metadata for the pictures in folder 2 to the corresponding pictures in folder 1?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Any idea why my Office 2010 keys would suddenly stop activating, whether by internet or robophone?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

dpbjinc posted:

You can only activate Office on two computers, one of which has to be a portable device (though I doubt it checks that). If you're trying to transfer Office to a new computer, you'll have to call support and get them to activate it for you.

The key in question has only ever been activated on my laptop, which is where I'm currently trying to activate it, which has had no hardware changes aside from a RAM upgrade since the last time I installed it.

It does bear pointing out that this is a technet key; do those ever expire or something?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Well I found out why my Office 2010 won't activate, apparently. The email account I used to sign up for TechNet had an email from a week ago saying that my trial for Office 2010 was over. Seeing as how they were retail keys from TechNet circa April/May 2010, I don't see how that's a trial, but whatever.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

MeKeV posted:

Although I use the http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ fork of openoffice.

This. From what I've seen, OpenOffice doesn't really get much support anymore, most of it has shifted over to LibreOffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone recommend me a free program that is similar to Digsby?

I want something that consolidates my AOL and Google chat clients, and can access my gmail as well.

Instantbird, son