Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Is there any way to get a toolbar set to use small icons to wrap into a second row or at least center itself in the taskbar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Nam Taf posted:

When I shrink my icons to small the taskbar itself shrinks. (right click, properties, tick 'use small icons').

If this is what you've done, perhaps move it around the screen to see if it resets it. Otherwise, no idea what's going on, but it should reduce to the smaller, thinner taskbar when small icons are used.

That was my problem, I didn't see that you could use small icons for the open programs on the taskbar. It doesn't like mixing large and small icons.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

queztal posted:

I just got Windows 7 Professional x64 from MSDNAA. It's been awesome so far, but one major problem for me is that I cannot connect to my campus's WPA-Enterprise secured wireless network. When I choose the option 'WPA-Enterprise' and method 'Microsoft PEAP', I am not even prompted for a username/password/domain. When I choose the method 'Cisco: PEAP', I am also unable to connect because it only allows me to enter a username/password, but no domain (I tried 'DOMAIN\username' with no luck).

When you click setting next to PEAP does everything look alright? Do you need to authenticate against a different server? Is your authenication method set to what your school uses? Do you have it set to automatically use your windows login?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I don't know if it's an issue just with my computer, but since moving to windows 7 I've noticed that a few seconds after logging back in from a hibernation, my laptop becomes largely unresponsive for about 45 seconds. The CPU usage is not high, but the disk usage is pegged. According to the resource monitor, svchost is using the time to play with the pagefile. I have 4G of ram on windows 7 64bit. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I went to a talk today and the presenter powered on their laptop, got a pop-up that asked them to restart their computer to finish installing updates, and they clicked OK.
It then proceeded to reboot and setup W7 SP1 while everyone was sitting there waiting.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
This is probably the best place to ask this, but has anyone tried using Symlinks to sync folders through the new Skydrive application for windows? I've tried both mklink /d and mklink /j and both will create a symlink that skydrive will sync once, but not update. I can force the update by closing the skydrive program and reopening it, but it doesn't do it automatically? Is there any way around moving things into the skydrive folder?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Factor Mystic posted:

You can invert the locations, if you really really want to. Eg, put the actual files in Skydrive and symlink the old location to the skydrive location. This assumes that whatever apps that are going to use those files don't also rely on file update notifications.

Dropbox is the same way, but at least Skydrive picked up my new symlinks immediately without a restart, whereas I find myself restarting Dropbox all the time.

It's probably easier just to periodically restart the app.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I deleted the symlinks, moved the folders and recreated the symlinks in the opposite direction in about 5 minutes, and now syncing appears to be working well. I just tested and synctoy seems to be tolerant of the new symlinked structure without modification as well. I ended up using junctions /j but I don't know if they're preferable to /d. Thanks.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Toothy posted:

Hi, I was wondering if any of you fine people know what the best free transcription software is for Windows 7? I don't need a high level of accuracy, but this is a one-time favor for a friend so I can't afford to buy any software. I want to try to avoid malware if at all possible.

It isn't windows software but if you happen to have an android tablet for smartphone that is new I have to have teeth google voice keyboard then you might be able to use it voice recognition to do short bits of transcribing work it seems to be limited to only 1 or 2 minutes of recording but that might fit the bill for you if he out of equality is sufficient. I recorded this post and I'm going to post it unedited but with our notes so you can figure out whether it does a good enough job.

translation:
It isn't windows software but if you happen to have an android tablet or smartphone that is new enough to have google voice keyboard than you might be able to use its voice recognition to do short bits of transcribing work. It seems to be limited to only 1 or 2 minutes of recording but that might fit the bill for you if the output quality is sufficient. I recorded this post and I'm going to post it unedited but with notes so you can figure out whether it does a good enough job.

Edit:
Just noticed there is also a dictation feature built into windows Vista and Seven. You can find it in the control panel under ease of access.

Sample: Apparently Windows Vista and seven also have dictation features built in. I am currently using it it to author this portion of the post if you speak like a robot it seems to work much better. If I see normally however as if I'm having a conversation like grass if you are courting something they doesn't work through

Naffer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 14, 2012

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

WastedJoker posted:

No idea but I just took advantage of the Home Use Program through my employer and the Office 2013 Pro Plus installer isn't an iso - it's an .exe which downloads the file structure direct to your drive.

Bloody annoying 'cause I want the iso as a back up.

Edit: offline installer's here: http://superuser.com/questions/449923/office-2013-offline-installer

Your timing was excellent. I just came to this thread to ask where I could get the 64-bit installer for 2013 ProfPlus because my university's select agreement only provides the 32 bit installer.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

WorkingStiff posted:

9 times out of 10 hangs are caused by incompatible drivers or sometimes overheating.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts that it's your graphics card and associated drivers. Make sure your graphics card drivers are updated.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Im_Special posted:

Can anyone recommend me a program that can rename files in bulk, I need something that can delete things I have in brackets like Filename(delete).txt, and have them end up looking like Filename.txt. I've looked on Google and there are hundreds of batch renamers but are any of them good?

Strangely enough, irfanview can do this. Files don't have to be readable images to use the bulk rename feature that's built in.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Does anyone know if there is a less expensive way to get Media Center in Windows 8 than the $10 pack? I have an HDHomeRun Prime and my two laptops can't play live TV from it without using DLNA and finding an MPEG2 codec. I don't really want to shell out $20 for two copies when they gave it away for free last year and with every copy of Windows 7.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Read the PDF again. It assumes both a Windows 7 SP1 that has literally never been updated and the dumbest, most indecisive possible user.

I just updated an unpatched XP (pre SP1) box to SP3 and installed MSE. It's got to be better off now than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Anjow posted:

I have a failing 1TB system drive in my Windows Home Server (2007 version), can I clone this to a 2TB and it still work?

I did this with clonezilla recently, but it was a failing 80gb to a 250gb. I had to grow the copied partition after but that was the easy part. Clonezilla with the rescue flag is very forgiving of disc problems.