Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

So then today I thought I would test out creating a generic Windows 7 image for my company (with lots of different models of PC's (Dell tosh etc)). I installed W7, updated it and put all the software on there that we needed then I sysprepped it. I did all this on a dell. I then imaged the drive using ghost.

I put the image back on another Dell and it worked perfectly. I put the image on a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop and it bluescreened. What am I doing wrong? I thought Windows 7 had no HAL so this was possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Is there any tool that I can run on a Windows 7 machine that will simply fully update it, quietly, until it is happy and fully upto date?. From a standard build of even 7 with SP1 the update needs to be run over 9-10 times recursively until you get all the updates. WSUS is no good for us we are an MSP building laptops for clients.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

deong posted:

Can I post stupid outlook issues here?
I work IT for a lawfirm, and one of my attorneys is wanting a header when sending out emails. But he wants to be able to turn it off/on when ever, and to be able to use it when sending replies/forwards/new email. I'm not sure if I'm the idiot, or if outlook just does not work with signature files/stationary in the way that he wants. Wondering if anyone here has a suggestion?

His :airquote: needs.
  • Header at the top of the email with a confidentiality statement. (signature file sucks for this obviously)
  • Ability to enable/disable when needed. (New, RE:, FWD:) (Stationary can't do this?)
  • Word wrapping at the edge of the window; not a fixed width table etc. (I've created a few different sig/stationary files but tables screw me up)
  • Will allow for spell checking the body of the email. (Spell check does not check sig files I believe?)
  • His standard signature file at the bottom, which has the company logo as a pic; fonts and colors (ie not plain text). (plain text seems to solve the table/word wrapping issue).
  • Ease is essential. Aging attorneys do not learn quick. At least not this one..

edit: I'm not sure yet; but while typing this up I just had the thought of maybe using auto text correction to do P&C -> Private Confidential BLAH BLAH Lawyer speak automagically.

I am so, so, sorry. Persuade him out of it. Tell him that even if you manage to make something like that chances are it is going to display poo poo in everything else other than Outlook and will potentially make his e-mail unreadable.