Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Thermopyle posted:

I knew that, damnit.

I think the fixed version is more like "Sun was poo poo, and Oracle is poo poo."

I have a friend who worked for Sun/Oracle for over ten years and refused to have java installed on any of his personal computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Is there a way to get a script-based rule to run automatically in Outlook (2013)? I just want any email with a specific "To: " field to be converted to plain text. I created a rule that is:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
sent to [distribution group]
and on this computer only
run [my script that is just Item.BodyFormat = olFormatPlain, Item.Save]

When I manually go into Rules and run the rule, it does what I want. But I want it to just automatically do this on without my prompting. In Trust Center, I have the "Allow script in..." options checked, but under Macro Settings I have it set to "Notifications for all macros". Do I need to set it to "Enable all macros" just to get this rule to work?

edit: welp, in case anyone else is interested in this, this was the answer to my question (I want the script to run on Shared Mailbox items, which I didn't mention above):
https://jpaloma.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/workaround-outlook-rules-dont-run-on-additional-mapi-mailboxes/

Papercut fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 14, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

My company has a problem with people accidentally dragging and dropping project folders into other folders. Everyone needs full modify permissions on the entire project directory, though. So I had the idea of creating a dummy file in the base directory that has all permissions denied (to everyone but admins). Is this a really bad idea?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Wouldn't that just let people move everything in the folder except for that one file?

A quick test seemed like it stopped the whole move. Maybe only because the file was first alphabetically in the directory.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Avulsion posted:

With Ninite, an SSD and all your files and settings backed up to the cloud or external hard drives, reinstalling windows is probably faster and easier than going through and cleaning out all the poo poo you don't use any more.

I just had to reinstall Win7 on an SSD and it took 3-4 days to get everything up and running. Windows had to download and install over 300 updates, not including service packs. How do you quickly get Sickbeard/SABnzbd/search provider all up and running again? Ninite looks nice, but it only seems to cover the tiny programs that take a minute to install anyway (where is Visual Studio? AutoCAD? Acrobat? Office?) That's not even getting into all of the customization within Windows and those individual programs (I guess you could back some of the config files up, but that still takes its own time). I also had to redo some of my router settings (static routes, port forwarding) because it identified my PC as a different device even though all I changed was the SSD.

Contrast this with just occasionally scrolling through your installed programs list and hitting uninstall while you multitask with other stuff.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I built a new rig since it was time and used the product key from my old build for my Windows install and the "Reserve Windows 10" icon isn't popping up. I know Windows ties itself to the mobo now so I'm assuming Windows might be having a tiff with authenticating the product but it hasn't given me any bullshit about the key being in use or not Genuine or whatever the message would be. Any suggestions?

2 things since I just did this:

1. Make sure you've actually installed all updates. The check for updates button didn't actually work to that effect for me, I had to install SP1 manually.

2. If your key is more than 5 years old, it may not count as a valid copy. I had to call MS support to get them to activate mine, even though it was a valid key. After that, the icon showed up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ethanol posted:

win 10 is a no brainer for tablets and ultrabooks. I'd say it was a no brainer for desktops too if grognards didn't care so much about their video card drivers although i personally haven't had issues on my gaming desktop since I updated when the xbone streaming came out at e3

The Synaptics issues are a much bigger deal than graphics card issues, there's no way I would install it on anything with a trackpad.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Since the Windows tablet thread is dead, guess I'll ask here. In Win8.1 IE Metro, InPrivate tabs still seem to create cookies that persist after closing tabs (e.g. I login to Gmail InPrivate, close the tab, when I then open Gmail in a regular tab it automatically logs me in). Also when I try to delete history, the "deleting" message just seems to hang. Any fixes for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Deeters posted:

I used to have a program that let me delete files regardless of the owner, permissions, or if another program was using them. Anyone have a suggestion for something like that?

I upgraded to 10 and I'm trying to delete stuff from the old windows installs and it doesn't look like I can change permissions through the regular properties menu.

Having had to deal with this recently, I honestly think the simplest thing is to just install Linux on another drive/partition, or even just boot into Linux from a USB drive. Linux gives no fucks about Windows' permissions and just lets you delete whatever you want.

In my case, I had installed Win7 fresh, then unpacked an image of a previous Windows partition to one of my drives. Windows just would not let me delete some of the old OS folders no matter how many times I tried to take ownership, change permissions, etc.