Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wcagizmo posted:

I've got a D-Link DWA-142 running Netgear drivers on my Windows 7 64 bit build. Works perfectly fine. They can be found at TigerDirect.com and I just googled the drivers.

I had already gone back to Best Buy before you responded and got a Netgear WPN111NA, which worked fine for a while. Then I went away for about 24 hours and left my computer running, to come back and find that it had broken as well - the Network and Sharing Center was telling me that I was connected to the network, but had no Internet access. Downloaded the "newest" (October 2008) software/driver update from their website, which installed fine. However, as soon as I finished setting up the network connection with the wizard, the window disappeared, and there was no icon in my tray (though it was still running according to Task Manager). I have since killed the process and it's working ok (about an hour so far).

So, I guess something to add to the OP would be that the following drivers don't work with Windows 7 (x64):
Netgear driver 2.2.0.27 for WPN111.
Dynex driver for DX-BUSB.
IOgear GWU523 (although they claim they just don't have x64 drivers for it at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For lack of a better place to put this:
I'm going through my windows.old folder and deleting everything I either don't need or have already moved over. However, I've run into a problem with the SecureROM folder in \AppData\Roaming. There are two files there with ridiculous names (a string of non-Latin characters) that Explorer says are no longer in that location when I try to delete them. I've taken ownership, but when I try to apply full privileges to the files, I get an error that the file can't be found. How can I get rid of these things?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone tried to get Guitar Pro 5 working? The setup program runs and I get the UAC alert, but nothing more happens. I've tried running it with and without XP and Vista compatibilities and as an administrator/not.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Has anyone tried to get Guitar Pro 5 working? The setup program runs and I get the UAC alert, but nothing more happens. I've tried running it with and without XP and Vista compatibilities and as an administrator/not.

New page. Also, I've been having issues installing other things. This time, it's the Zinio reader for my PC Magazine digital sub. I get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." What gives?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zuffox posted:

Yes. :P

Just don't choose AVG.

Why is this? I used it for a few years, and only switched to Avira just recently because someone else in the thread mentioned it (and not to use AVG, but again without any reason) and I figured I'd check it out since I haven't. I didn't have any problems with AVG, but after only a few days with Avira, I've had two pop-ups wanting me to upgrade, which are pretty annoying.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Casao posted:

AVG is slowing down Windows 7 a lot at the moment.

Huh. I didn't even notice, but that's good to know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When I play video on my netbook, both the video and the audio will have a little seizure every 30 seconds. It doesn't seem to matter how I'm playing the video (youtube, vlc, WMP) or if it's full-screen or not. What's going on? Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there not a first party (or at least non-evil, at least not any more than Facebook itself) Facebook Windows program that puts an icon in the notification area? There are a million browser extensions and stuff for it, but not just one for Windows that I can find.

Digsby can do this (in addition to other stuff, if you wish).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I used to use Digsby but it pissed me off by suddenly starting to publish on my facebook wall without me asking it to, I switched to Pidgin. It can do FB chat, but not any other kind of notifications as far as I know. Am I wrong?

I honestly haven't used Pidgin since I messed around with Ubuntu a few years ago. Are you sure you didn't somehow change any settings (or forget to change them on a re-install) on Digsby? I turned them off when I first installed it, and except for changing my status, it doesn't post anything. Also, they were recently bought by someone, so they don't include any shady stuff in the installation anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to share a folder in my Program Files (x86) folder with my homegroup, but that option doesn't seem to be available when I right-click the folder. I can choose "Advanced sharing..." which seems to work somewhat, in that I can type in \\[computer name]\[share name], but it doesn't show up in the homegroup on another computer. Is this something that just can't be done due to the restrictions on Program Files?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

rolleyes posted:

Following up on this, I'd be interested to know why he's trying to achieve this as there may be an alternative solution.

Mostly because I'm lazy. I've got a folder in there that I want to share with my netbook, but I don't feel like moving it somewhere else (it's there because it's hidden :ninja:)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cuntpunch posted:

Is there any fix for the weird random taskbar mouse issue that has existed forever and ever? Sometimes my taskbar just seems to catch the mouse and continue thinking its there, even after I have moved the cursor elsewhere.
To explain what I'm talking about :
-I'll have icons on the taskbar for all the applications I have open
-If I hover the cursor over the the leftmost(for instance) it highlights normally
-If I then move the cursor rightwards over the rest of them, they highlight in turn
-EXCEPT, if the cursor hits any black space between the rightmost icon and the tray, the rightmost icon remains highlighted(and will, with delay, pop up a window preview as if the cursor were still there)
-AND, if I move the cursor away from the taskbar while on any icon, that icon remains lit up and will, after a delay show a window preview

Win7-64, for reference.

I've had something similar happen from time to time, but without the preview pop-up. That is, the color highlighting on the icons won't go away, I can just move it to different icons.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cuntpunch posted:

I presume you have previewing disabled?

In digging around, found this brief video showing exactly what I'm experiencing: http://screencast.com/t/l5LhJ2uM

No, I haven't turned that off. I thought it was a little weird, since otherwise my problem is exactly like yours.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I updated VLC the other day, and now it won't deinterlace DVDs. Any idea why, or what I can do to fix it (roll back, yeah, but what else)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So my job (USMC field band) just got something like 10 new HP computers, and they all STILL HAVE XP on them. Did Microsoft change its mind about not allowing OEM installs of XP anymore, did some government IT guys install it 'cause, or can the government get around that decree of Microsoft?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Daynab posted:

I'm looking for a good desktop RSS reader. Any suggestions? I don't mind barebones too much although I wouldn't mind if it looked good or brought more than just the title text too. I've never even looked into them and for a few reasons don't want to use a web service like google Reader or Feedly.
Thanks in advance!

I've been using FeedDemon for several months now and quite like it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since the last time I updated VLC (to 1.1.10 The Luggage), it no longer will de-interlace DVDs that I play through it. The options aren't grayed out or anything, it just doesn't work. What happened/what can I do/where could I find better information on this (the Video LAN website isn't too helpful).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have a favorite typing program?

I am starting full time study in CS next semester and want to get my typing up to speed. I'm not to bad but I only really use like 4-5 fingers combined which isn't ideal. Also having high accuracy will pay off in the long run regardless.

I think my parents have Mavis Beacon around somewhere. Will that be okay?

Honestly, my parents tried to get my sisters and I to use Mavis Beacon when I was in elementary/middle school, but it never really stuck. What got my typing skills up was when they finally let us get AIM. I suppose it helped that my friends were as grammatically conscious as I am, so I didn't want to disappoint them with bad typing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry for the double post, but now I need help.

I just updated some stuff from Windows Update on Secunia's recommendation, and now my desktop is (for the most part) running extremely slowly. To the point where I can hardly do anything. I've run MSE and MalwareBytes with no results. Task Manager doesn't show anything eating CPU cycles or RAM. What should I start looking at next?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thrawn86 posted:

disk activity in the performance monitor. windows is probably just indexing itself or something.

The major problem seemed to be getting Digsby to start. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, and things seem to be back to normal. Lesson learned? Computers are weird, and I need to get around to rebuilding mine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hamburglar posted:

About a year and a half ago I had a Windows Mobile phone and I found out it had Remote Desktop. I know the concept is old to a lot of you but my mind was blown at the prospect of controlling a desktop from a cellphone. I had my laptop connect to it, too, so I could get tasks done at work if I needed.

Since then, I got a new cellphone (Android), a new laptop, and a new Verizon FiOS router. I remember setting this remote desktop stuff up was a complete nightmare; having to change stuff in my router, and other stuff that consumed the better half of a weekend.

Is there any easier way to do this now? The computer I want to remote into is a Windows 7 machine. Considering how disturbingly easy it was to set up AirPlay on my iPad which connects to my Windows 7 machine, I would imagine it got a little better, but I'd like to know before I google for instructions that are going to make me tear my hair out.

Thanks! :*

Check out Wyse PocketCloud. There's a free version in the Android Marketplace, and you just have to download and set up a program on your computer which is fairly straight-forward. After that, you simply use your Google credentials to sign in, and there's your computer. Warning: it doesn't always work well for me on my phone. My tablet seems to be more cooperative, however.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Galler posted:

I do. I don't really know if it's necessary but I like to start clean every now and then. Also since all I have on my OS drive (60gb ssd) is the OS and a handful of programs it doesn't take much time to wipe and reload (~2 hours to be completely back to normal).

I'm considering doing something like this when I rebuild in a month or two, but have a question for if I feel like re-installing a year or from then: what happens to programs that aren't installed on the OS drive when you re-install Windows? Obviously all their registry entries will be gone, so how do you not need to re-install them as well as the ones on the same drive?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've enjoyed feeddemon for a while now. Although it's just synched to my Google reader account, so maybe that's not exactly what you want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mobn posted:

I had thought that Win7 had brought things to the point that flatten and reinstalls were no longer necessary, but my system has been so sluggish and unresponsive lately that I'm thinking about doing it. I've been running this guy for about 2 years on 7 at this point and it's time for a clean start.

Are there any common performance culprits that I can check first? I figured old XP gremlins like temp files and defragging don't really do much anymore.

I'd like to know this as well. I also thought that W7 was supposed to have done away with needing to restart after updates, but that's obviously a lie as well. How come?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone recommend me a free program that is similar to Digsby?

I want something that consolidates my AOL and Google chat clients, and can access my gmail as well.

What's wrong with Digsby itself?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hughmoris posted:

I've heard the old rumors of Digsby installing bloatware along with the client. I just did a fresh install of Windows and I'm trying to avoid that. Did they iron out that issue or is it still a problem?

It was always pretty obvious opt-out stuff during the installation, but a month or so ago they announced that they would be (already were?) bought, so that stuff should be gone now. Just a note that the facebook feed is currently not connecting; it might have something to do with the recent facebook changes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Instantbird, son

I gave this a try since I'm always willing to check out new IM programs, but this thing is really not ready for the big-time. Want to move your Facebook buddies to a different group? Too bad. You can combine contacts, yeah, but both versions still just chill out in the buddy list. Unless there's an extension that fixes these two issues?

Also, no Facebook feed. Boo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Toast Museum posted:

For initial setup purposes, I'd just peruse the options on Ninite. As for PDF viewing, Foxit has worked well for me, but I haven't tried the competition.

I've kept my eye on Ninite for the next time I build a computer, but is there any way to specify where things get installed? I'll probably be putting in an SSD and don't want to fill it with unnecessary crap.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Seconding this - got fed up with the million passable official clients (and the lovely Skype client) I was running all at once, and switched to Trillian. A word of warning; the new Trillian versions look great, but have goddam annoying popups both in the message window and the desktop (!) unless you pay. I'm against subscription software to get rid of ads on principle, but for $12 a year gave it a go and it's been great. Latest client does Skype pretty well, but for some reason doesn't play any ringtone when I get a call and just displays a silent popup.

I've been using Trillian for about a week now, and haven't ran into any popups. I'll occasionally see an ad in my chat window, but it's pretty unobtrusive. I'm also blown away by how lightweight it is. Digsby was using at least 50,000 kb, but Trillian does the same stuff, and never gets above 10,000 kb.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using DriverMax for a while now to keep drivers up to date, but have recently run into a problem on my Asus netbook. The DriverMax website says that the Nvidia ION driver is from 2010, so I download the most recent one from April of this year. However, when I reboot, Windows automatically "updates" to the older driver. How can I prevent this from happening?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'll be building a new computer in the next couple days. Is there a way to ensure the computer doesn't try to boot from the old Windows drive when I plug it back in to use as storage? I can't format it right off the bat because I plan to move some stuff over to the new system disk.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just built a new desktop with 8 GB of RAM and an Intel i5. However, I can't get Windows 7 to install the 64-bit version. I have a Home Premium OEM disc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently built a new computer (Windows 7) and from time to time it seems to forget about my old HD that's still connected. A simple reboot fixes this, but how can I go about figuring out why it's doing it at all?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

deong posted:

I basically want to be able to use my mouse wheel similar to the way it works within ubuntu. I can have window 1 in focus, with key control (so I can type notes) and being able to use the mouse wheel in window 2 without giving window2 focus.

A program called KatMouse will do this great for an actual mouse. I've found it doesn't work so well with a track pad. It can also do other things with windows' focus, but I haven't really looked into that part of the program.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Something like this will make it a lot faster and less focus-intensive.

I tried this, and it couldn't move the duplicate files to the recycle bin because they were open in the very same program! :lol:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a tool that will let me see what's making my CPU spike? It just started today and it's pretty worrying. I first noticed it when foobar started stuttering pretty badly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Shy posted:

Task Manager maybe? Sort the processes tab by the CPU usage and see what tops it.

That's the first thing I tried, but TM freezes when the issue happens. I can later see the spike under the performance tab, but don't have a way of seeing what caused it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Drox posted:

If you have a widescreen monitor, turn the bar vertical!

Most applications/websites are set up to be read vertically, so during general usage the extra horizontal on a widescreen is wasted.

Why would you make your taskbar so wide, though?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to tell a Windows 7 desktop to hibernate, software-wise? I know I can set the power button to do that, but I'm going to be gone for 6 weeks, and would like to be able to RDP in, then tell the computer to go back to hibernating when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Guy Axlerod posted:

How do you plan on turning it back on when you are done?

By logging in to my router and giving the computer a WOL command.