Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/

The Holy Mountain is written and directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky, who is a very strange type of genius. The movie follows a thief on his quest for enlightenment. Along the way he meets Jodorowsky, who leads him and others in the quest. The movie DOES have a plot and you cannot skip ANY of it unless you want to be confused beyond belief. (You might be anyway.) The movie does seem like nonstop random stuff if you don't pay attention.

The sets are over the top and completely weird, as is everything else in the movie. Because it's a (high budget) arthouse film, it's up to the viewer to decide what it means. My opinion is if you "get" internet trolling you will like this movie. You absolutely do not need drugs to enjoy this no matter what anyone tells you. I was sober and I think it's possibly the greatest movie ever made. Only problem is there's a lot of nudity. That's not really a problem but I thought it was a bit unnecessary.

Definite 5/5, probably the best movie I have ever seen.

Best scene: Spanish war reenacted by colorfully dressed frogs and chameleons

Best line: My sanctuary of 1000 testicles is now complete.

What I think it was about (massive spoiler): I watched this with a friend and we agreed it was basically a huge troll of the art community. There is a massive buildup of weird stuff with the promise that some sort of enlightenment lies at the end. There's a ton of symbolism that you expect to mean something then it simply doesn't. When it gets to the end, what he does is basically says "gently caress you, it was just a movie" Also Jodorowsky wanted to pet all the animals in the zoo.

OMGWTFWALLHACK fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MulhollandDream
Nov 18, 2007
I remember watching this movie a while ago and not really knowing what was going on. I mean i understood someparts but other parts i was speechless. Nonetheless, I still loved it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If you know even a little about Alejandro Jodorowsky, you know that he has his roots in stage productions, "Theatre of the Absurd" and so on. I would consider this movie to be the work most representative of Jodorowsky's style, his madness and his genius. It's really the perfect introduction to Jodorowsky's work, but I wouldn't consider it as much of a perfect movie as his earlier film El Topo. Beautifully twisted, completely absurd, with some of the most disturbing scenes and imagery in any "art house" (this film is hard to categorize, so that'll do) film out there.

4/5, only because I can't rate it quite as high as El Topo.

markehed
Jul 17, 2009
I absolutely loved the scene with the Spanish war re-enacted by colourfully dressed frogs and chameleons. Over all the whole film is just an orgy in strangeness. I can't really decide if this movie takes itself seriously or not. Is there actually a point or is it meant just to be absurd? One other thing I have to credit it with is that it's almost perfectly paced. I don't think I lost interest once. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that I thought it was a bit arty for my taste. A bit more story couldn't have hurt.

4/5

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I recently saw this after it was recommended by Netflix, and was blown away. I was expecting a grungy, low-budget art movie, and was surprised by how beautiful and interesting the whole thing was. There was hardly anything at all that seemed dated, I wouldn't be surprised if I had found out it was made 20 years after it actually was.

I saw it as a science-fantasy satire of the way religion and politics intermingled in South America, and you could see it as an extrapolation of trends where religious spectacle was a commodity. I loved the blending of different religious traditions to make something that seemed alien yet familiar. I was also reminded of Idiocracy for some reason. It also tied in to a question I've been playing with lately, which is what things do we do now that will be seen as barbaric and disgusting a hundred years from now, and what might be considered commonplace in the future that we would find barbaric and disgusting? It may be one of the most realistic depictions of the future that I've ever seen, in that there are many things that are offensive and incomprehensible, yet you can see ties to our present in most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 15, 2014