Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cross posted from electronic music production, as I only just clocked that there's an Ableton thread:

In Live 9, other than using the Looper plugin, is there any way of recording a loop on the fly and having Ableton set the session tempo based on the length? It's really handy for what I"m doing, but the audio in the Looper pedal doesn't save with the session, and to get the audio into a clip you have to drag it out of the plugin, I can't find a way of doing it from my controller.

Also, any general tips for using Ableton for live looping would be appreciated, particularly with an Axiom Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Cross posted from electronic music production, as I only just clocked that there's an Ableton thread:

In Live 9, other than using the Looper plugin, is there any way of recording a loop on the fly and having Ableton set the session tempo based on the length? It's really handy for what I"m doing, but the audio in the Looper pedal doesn't save with the session, and to get the audio into a clip you have to drag it out of the plugin, I can't find a way of doing it from my controller.

Also, any general tips for using Ableton for live looping would be appreciated, particularly with an Axiom Pro.

Is that a no then?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

19 o'clock posted:

Hello.

My DJ template I built in some M4L code that builds loops on the fly without using the looper device. I have four buttons on each of my decks set to loop at 4, 8, 16, and 32 beats. It's great for on-the-fly mixing and the like. I guess I don't understand how you would use loop length to re-establish session tempo? Can you give an example of this behavior?

Thank you for the responses.

Basically, I start off a lot of things off with some beatboxing which is then looped. Obviously it's very hard to get that exactly on tempo and I don't really want to use a click track because that would involve wearing an eaerpiece, so what you can do is, whack Looper into an audio channel. Tell if you're going to play 1, 2, 4, or 8 bars (or leave it to work it out itself which it does a pretty good job at). Then your beabotx your poo poo, hitting the multi purpose button on the looper pedal at the start and end points of your loop, like you would with a dedicated hardware looper. The clever bit is, when you end your loop, if Looper knows you played 2 bars in 2.3 seconds (or whatever), it's a simple sum to work out the BPM. It then continues to loop your audio, but also sets the session to that tempo and launches it, so the other audio channels can them be used to lay down extra layers, and anything else already in the sessions (drum breaks, etc.) is synced to your beatboxing.

This works great but Looper has a couple of drawbacks, so some other way of achieving this is what I'm looking for. I make take a look at Beatseeker, it does sound like it might be useful, although it also sounds like it needs your drummer/beatboxer or whatever you're using for rhythmic input to be playing consistently through the track, whereas I only want to play for a short while and loop it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Also, is there a way to start a clip recording, but have it automatically stop recording and play the clip after a fixed amount of bars? From what I'm reading you should at least be able to have it record a fixed length by setting the session quantitization, but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

e: Also how does one go about having tap tempo start recording rather than just playing?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 2, 2015

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks for all your input. I'm not 100% sure I've explained myself that well, so just to be clear. This is what I'm doing:

1. Stick Looper in an audio track.
2. Beatbox 1-4 bars into Looper, hitting the button at the start and end points.
3. Looper calculates the BPM and kicks off the session at that tempo.
4. I can then beatbox, play instruments, or kick off precorded stuff in the other tracks, and it's all synced.

So basically, just using Ableton as a glorified hardware looper. This all actually works pretty well, but does have a couple of minor drawbacks.

The problems with this:

1. The original loop continues to play from Looper but the audio isn't inserted into a clip in the session view, so I can't manipulate it along with all the other clips.
2. This also means that the looper just contains to play regardless of what scene is playing.
3. Other obvious consequences of point 1.

19 o'clock, I see what you're saying (I think) about live drummers not being perfect etc., but this is exactly how you would use a hardware loop pedal and it works fine. I'm not sure what you mean by "sample my beat boxing, warp it live in front of the audience, then start building my set off of that" - I guess I'm not understanding, but that's exactly what I'm trying to do really, I just want to get the session tempo sit to my initial loop without having to use a click track, or tapping in the tempo (which, to be fair, might work, I haven't really attempted it properly).

ynohtna, Sooperloop looks interesting, it says there's no Windows version - although it says if works with anything that supports JACK and I'm sure JACK works on Windows.

Anyway, there's a similar program called Mobius for Windows with MIDI sync and stuff. It's still going to have a similar problem in that the looper will still be playing outside the ableton session - but if I'm piping the audio into Ableton (if you can do that with Morpheus), then I guess once the audio is in a clip in Ableton, and the BPM is set, I can stop the external looper program. Although, I suppose that would stop the session if Ableton is synced to its clock. Hmm, maybe this won't work. But thanks, you've at least given me an avenue for investigation.

The crux of this is that my loop pedal is really lovely and I don't have the money for a new one, but I do have Ableton and an Axiom Pro so I'm essentially trying to replicate the funcionality there, but with a bit of extra Ableton magic.

BeatSeeker also seems like it might potentially work, if it can record the audio as well as just syncing to it. I can just get the session going and then disable the syncing I guess. But I'm still on my free trial of Ableton at the moment so I'm not sure I want to pay for an add-on yet (because I can't afford to pay for it when my trial runs out :( ).

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 4, 2015

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

19 o'clock posted:

I use a hardware looper (Boss RC20XL and RC2 as a backup) when playing guitar. If you are recording a few measures of beatboxing/drums then it may loop fine by itself, but may be metered inaccurately for mixing purposes. I can record four measures of drums, for example, and while it will loop well when I start mixing in other clips it likely won't mesh well.

Warping is how you fix that in Ableton. You are mapping the beats of your recorded clip to the master tempo (click track) of the Live set. So I would record the clip, have it playing, and then map it to the overall tempo of the set so that each 1,2,3,4 hits on the same spot as the rest of the project. Lots of times when I'm DJing I get a request for a song I don't have, so I download, warp, and mix into the existing set so that everything flows nicely.

In terms of making the recording work as a clip, I think you will have to jump into Arrangement View to do this, although maybe it's possible to record clips in the Session View? I'll have to try it sometime. Good luck!

OK, right, I see what you're saying. So say I tapped the tempo and then recorded my first loop as accurately as I could to that, is there a quick way of then mapping/warping to that to the tempo? Or is it fiddly mouse work? Because that the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid on stage. Really I'm aiming to drive everything from my Axiom Pro. I've set up the numpad up to send arrows so I can navigate around the grid and launch clips from there, but every time I use the mouse to interact with a plug in or something I have to remember to click back into the grid so that the arrows work.

You can most definitely record clips in session view by the way. The little round button that you have in empty slots on armed tracks does it, it works the same as launching them, in that it uses the quantization setting to start/stop then on beat.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 5, 2015

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Urgh, can anyone tell me how to set up my Axiom Pro with Ableton Live so that I can map the pads to things like tap tempo, trigger clips, etc., but have it send something other than note data - MIDI CC messages maybe? Is that I want? I'm finding the manual horrendously confusing and not being overly familiar with either Ableton or MIDI terminology in general is not helping. It seems like it can be done but I'm not overly sure how.

My basic aim is to be able to play synths with my band, switch between instruments, sync wobbles and stuff with the tempo by tapping it, and occasionally maybe trigger a drum loop or sample. I guess my best bet would be to turn off HyperControl altoghether and map everything manually?

By the way, I know that playing to a click would be much easier than tapping the tempo, but the whole band seem pretty resistant to this idea, and I don't think our beatboxer (we don't have a drummer) would be very good at it. Plus we have quick a few tempo/time signature changes.

I'm thinking of getting launchpad with the aim of just using User Mode 2 to make all this mapping stuff easier, would that be a good idea/work/make this any easier?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 5, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
e: wrong thread!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I'm willing to make similar allowances. For now I really just want to know how to set the goddamn Axiom up so that the pads send something other than note data! I know it can be done, as the manual says it can be done, but I can't find the bit where it says *how* it can be done.

I've had this thing for bloody years and I've never quite got my head around using it properly. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a launchpad, it seems like it would be a lot easier to configure. Then I can just ditch the pads and use the Axiom for actually playing on, and using the rotary encoders, which I can at least work out how to use properly.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

colonp posted:

Why do you want them to send CC so much? idgi.

Well, at first it was because I couldn't work out how to map notes to the things I wanted, Ableton seemed to ignore them when I was trying to set the mappings. Then I realised I needed to turn on Remote in the MIDI settings, but then I found when I was playing piano parts, I kept hitting keys that I had mapped to other stuff, which is very annoying. I suppose I could remap the pads to send really low notes or something, something I'm unlikely to want to play, if that's even possible? Or get it to send them on a different channel or something? You'd think the combination of being a musician and a software developer would make MIDI fairly easy for me to understand but no, it confuses the poo poo out of me.

quote:

As for how, youtube helped me with my zero sl mkii.

Launchpad is nice, and the pads there are a lot more useful for just triggering stuff - I've always had issues with getting drumpads to trigger right on my equipment. If you don't need all the new fancy features, I bet you could get a 1st gen one for cheap. Mine has crashed in the past, but never while actually playing, only when editing the MIDI settings in Live or when I hosed around with it (like sending it 64 notes).

It does look like it'd be really useful. I've actually got enough in Amazon gift vouchers to get a Mk II, and I'm really tempted. In part just for the copy of Live Lite, as my trial is going to run out really soon anyway. Unless there's a better way of getting it? I kind of like the idea of getting into finger drumming though, so I keep wondering if I should put in the extra to get a Pro with velocity sensitive pads. Although I suppose there's always the pads on the Axiom for that! ;)

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I bought an axiom pro 49 about 4 years ago and it's been a long, slow realization that I made a big mistake.

Yeah I've always struggled with it. It never worked that well for me with Cubase either.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dessert Rose posted:

If you're going to get into finger drumming, and you're already bought into Live, I can't recommend the Push enough.

The Push looks amazing but it's way out of my budget, sadly

Thanks for your input everyone, I ended up using my Amazon credit to get a Launchpad. Set it up and had a very brief play yesterday and it seems awesome, but all I did was fiddle about with the demo session so far. I look forward to having some fun with it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That looks pretty cool, thanks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Along the same lines, did you select it as a control surface in the top part of the window as well as turning on the remote, sync etc. channels? I only ask because you say it showed up as a control service but you didn't explicitly say you set it as one. Do you have access to the laptop it's working on still? You could do a side-by-side comparison of the setup screens.

Also, I don't know if the Launchpad starts up in the mode it was last in, but I don't think anything lights up in User 1 or User 2 mode.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

MrSargent posted:

Using a Lenovo Y50. The only indication that power is going to the launchpad is that the device shows up in the computers device manager so it's being recognized.

Tried a different USB port and no luck. I don't have another cable but it's the same one I use to connect my keyboard to my laptop and no issues there.

I did select it as a control surface as well. I don't have a way to look at the old computer settings because I uninstalled Live already. Even if the launchpad doesn't light up, I should be getting some response in the midi signal, but I'm not.

I've got a Launchpad MkII, not an S, but if you want I can post a screenshot of my MIDI setup screen so you can make sure you got it right. If you used to have it working you and followed the manual I'm sure you probably got it right though.

e:

Nearly forgot, I've got a Launchpad question too. Is it possible to map buttons on the Launchpad to set a parameter to a specific value using User 2? So, for example could I set it up so a specific row of buttons to quickly change a delay time or tempo locked oscillator to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc?

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2016

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

colonp posted:

Hold one button then hit the button at the end of the range - then set up the right values in the MIDI mappings screen. It doesn't work for Live's native delay devices when they are synced, as that parameter only let's you bind 1 button, but you could get out the calculator and figure out which ms-values you need. One 16th note is 15/BPM seconds long. Or just use a non-native delay plugin, I guess :)

e: btw setting up Beat Repeat on the launchpad is tonnes of fun. works with midi keyboards too!

Nice one, thanks! I'll give this a go. Shame about the native delay plugins, that what I've been using. I can't use the specific ms values because I'm actually using tap tempo to sync delay/wobbles/etc with the band I'm playing with.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So regarding the pricing ... if you have a copy of Live 9 now, you pay the upgrade price, but if you buy one between now and 10's release at the 20% off price, you get a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out? Is that right?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Plavski posted:

Seems to be, yeah.

They just don't want people holding off paying them money until 10 comes out.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm only wondering since I bought a copy of Live Suite with the education discount only a couple of months ago. Just weighing up my options for an upgrade - there's no student prices for an upgrade to 10 currently if you already own 9... I guess there might be if it launches but I suppose once it launches the 20% pre-order upgrade discount won't be available. Just trying to decide whether to upgrade now or hope there's a student discount on the upgrade once it launches. Think I'll probably just do the pre-order upgrade, it's pretty reasonable.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm, interesting. I might give that a go, thank you.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Actually, looks like my question is pretty comprehensively answered here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001575210?input_string=ableton+live+10+upgrade+-+education+discount%3F

It looks as though the current pre-order offer is going to be the cheapest way for me.

e: Sent a support email anyway just in case someone is feeling generous.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 2, 2017

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Radiapathy posted:

ALSO...
I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but I ordered the Suite 9->Suite 10 upgrade to get the discount pricing and chose Paypal for the funding and they didn't charge me. They said I'd get a payment link when Live 10 comes out. I am a USA resident in case that matters. (Do they charge you now if you choose a credit card instead?)

No, they don't. I ordered the upgrade on a credit card (in the UK), and they just charged £1 to verify the card. They will take payment when it comes out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Plavski posted:

Live 10 is out now - I just authorized my pre-order.

Do we have to do anything? I got an order confirmation and an invoice, but the invoice just says they'll take payment within 7 days. Am I supposed to authorise that somewhere too?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I provided my credit card details, but it said it wouldn't take payment until release. I've been able to download and authorize it, so I guess they'll just be taking payment.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

uXs posted:

The online authorization didn't work for me, kept forwarding me to an "ableton://"-address which didn't work. I was able to do the offline auth thing, even if I had to try twice because I made a mistake typing in the hardware code the first time.

Those links are meant to be handled by Live, not the browser, that's why. When mine did that part, Chrome asked me if I was happy for an external program to handle the link, and then essentially passed it back to Ableton.

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 6, 2018

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Proper noob Live 10 question here.

I'm trying to follow this: https://sonicstate.com/news/2013/11/18/blog-drum-slicing-and-layering-in-ableton-live/

I've run into trouble almost immediately. I dropped a click in an audio track, looped it, set warp to re-pitch and it's looping fine. Then the article tells you to right click and 'consolidate' the clip like it says to. If I right click on the click in the pane at the bottom of the screen there's no consolidate option. If I do it on the clip in the session view there's no consolidate option. There's a consolidate option in the Edit menu, but it remains greyed out whatever I do.

The help text for consolidate says that it 'replaces the clip in the arrangment view selection with one new clip per track'.

That doesn't really sound like what the tutorial wants me to do. Am I being an idiot or it it just really out of date?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm clearly misunderstanding something about warping and slicing. I've imported a clip, 4 bars of a live klezmer band. Warped it very slightly just to get it bang on, and it's looping perfectly and staying in sync with the click/drum pattern. However, when I slice it to a new MIDI track, if I try and loop any of the slices individually, they seem to drift out of sync with the tempo. It's not just that the looping isn't clean, the start of the loop drifts further and further away from the first beat of the bar, as though the clip is a different length or playing at a different temp.

I am using the default preset, and ticking the 'preserve warped timing' option. I've tryed slicing by warp markers, 1/4 notes, 1/2 notes, all with similar results. The clips are set to Warp in the drum rack that's created when I slice them.

It seems as though the culprit may be the fact that the 'Loop Length' macro parameter is set to 90%, but I can't turn it up to 100%. Is this the problem, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

chippy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 12, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
How exactly do I do that? I've seen a couple of people mention this, but all the instructions I can find mention selecting multiple clips first, and this is just one clip.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm, so unmapping the loop length from the macro control and setting to 100% seems to have sorted it! I really don't understand why it's set to 90% by default though, and why it's limited to 90% in the Macro Control area. Wtf.

edit: Even weirder: Just discovered that if you un-map then re-map Loop Length to the macro knob it'll go to 100%!

chippy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Mister Speaker posted:

I've only gotten good results with 'Slice to New Drum Rack' if I consolidate the clip first so there's no warped timing to worry about.

I've seen a few people say this, but according to the manual, this is exactly what the "preserved warped timing" setting when slicing to MIDI is for. It says "with 'Preserve warped timing' enabled, the clip will be sliced in such a way that timing alterations as a result of warping are preserved. With this option disabled, any changes that result from warping will not be reflected in the sliced clip; the sliced version will instead sound like the original, “raw” audio.

This is Live 10, if it makes a difference. Could this be something that changed between 9 and 10?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Mister Speaker posted:

The manual might say that, but is that the result you're getting?

Now that I've worked out to change the Loop Length from 90% to 100% in the resulting slices: yes, it does seem to be the result I'm getting. But I've only slightly warped the clip I'm working slightly with so it's hard to tell. later on when I"m not at work I'm going to try something more obvious, like moving a snare to a completely different beat, and see if that's retained after slicing.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
OK, another question. Why I can't I select just a range of an unwarped clip to play? It seems once you turn off Warp, this option becomes unavailable?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

d0grent posted:

you can turn warp mode on without actually affecting the clip in any way if you want, so just leave it on.

Oh ok, I thought that would automatically try to warp the clip to match the tempo of the session.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Ok so. The situation is: I've got a song, which has a tempo change in it. I've got a wav file which is a couple of minutes of spoken word, and I want to have some brief, individual sections of this spoken word available in different clips in session view so that I can trigger them off with my Launchpad while the track is playing.

I thought I could just drag the wav file into a few different slots in a track in session view, and then edit each of those those clips to just play a different range from the source wav file. But it seems as if you can't do this until you turn on warping for the clip, which has two problems:

1. It seems as though the start and stop points of the clip snap to beats or subdivisions of beats, you can't just set them anywhere (although perhaps there is a way to turn off the snapping to grid that I'm not seeing?)

2. Because I've turned Warp on, surely when the tempo of the track increases, the samples are going to play faster?

So, at the moment it seems like I have to pre-prepare my sections of audio in something else, chop them into the sections I want, and then put them in session view clips, but that doesn't really feel like the non-destructive, Ableton-y way of doing things. Or, I guess I could set up a drum rack with the clips in, but then I would have to switch to that to play them instead of being able to launch them in session view.

So am I missing something? Are there some better ways of going about this?

chippy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 15, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, you absolutely should be able to just drag the samples to clips on an audio track and modify their start and end markers to select what part you want to play from the sample. The start and end markers are the little triangles above the waveform but below the loop markers. Warping doesn't have an effect on the functionality of the start/end markers but looping is (IIRC) only available with warp enabled so maybe you haven't noticed the other pair of markers below the loop?

Bttw, just for future reference right clicking on the waveform lets you turn off the grid to disable snapping. You can also use the shortcut ctrl+4 for toggling it and try the shortcuts ctrl+1..3 too for modifying the grid, they're handy to know.

Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't even notice the markers, I was just trying to drag to select a range. I should probably finish reading the manual. Thanks!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there anything that can stop scrubbing working?

I've got an unlooped, unwarped clip. I've got permanent scrub areas turned on, and I know I've got the mouse in the right place because the info box says "Scrub Area - click here to make playback jump to this point." But the mouse pointer hasn't turned to the speaker icon and when I click, nothing happens. What am I missing here?

Also, is there any way of selecting a range of an audio clip without dragging the start/end markers? Like by dragging on the waveform itself? It's quite annoying when you're zoomed right in to have to zoom out to find the markers, and lose your place.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Turns out you can't scrub an unwarped clip. :rolleyes:

Another question! I've had an Axiom Pro for years, used it for live performance and recording and I'm pretty fond of it. But recently it's been crashing and rebooting a lot, and when it does it seems to make my Launchpad stop working too and I have to reboot everything to get it working again. So I'm in the market for a replacement. I was looking at the M-Audio Code and it looks great, but it seems to be missing something that the Axiom Pro has which is a feature called HyperControl. This automatically maps MIDI parameters which means when you select a track in live, if it has an instrument, the 8 rotary encoders automatically get mapped to the macro knobs on Live's instrument rack. This is really useful for live performance.
It doesn't seem like the Code has this auto-mapping feature, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way of getting this behaviour with the Code and Live, with custom scripts or similar? If so, how hard is it to do and how well does it work?
2. Are there other models of controller that have something like this out of the box?

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 26, 2019

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Oldstench posted:

Found this link which explains how to do what I think you want.
This link goes into working with remote controller scripts.

Push 2 of course.

Thanks! This looks like the stuff. Surprised it doesn't do this out of the box, seems like a step backwards from earlier models, but if it can be added then it's all good.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it just me or is Splice Projects just not that game changing compared to simply storing your sets in Dropbox?

Not really as far as I can tell, and it's been super flaky for me so far.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dantheman650 posted:

I answered some of my own questions since I asked this:

1) in session view, sometimes a track shows a record button in every empty clip slot instead of a stop button. I have no idea why and I don’t know how to stop the currently playing clip on the track without it.

dantheman650 posted:

1) this appears to be a feature that’s enabled when you have a Push (or other midi controller?) connected. You can use the Push’s Stop Clip button with the track selected. Not sure how to do this with a mouse still but that’s ok.

I think this is just the case for any track that's record armed (see 16.2 here: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/recording-new-clips/), regardless of what controller is connected. I just tried this out on my laptop which is currently not connected to any controller and when I arm the track, all stop clip buttons turn into record clip buttons.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm a bit confused about some of the presets that come with Live. Some of them, for example Vocosyn under 'Sounds', seem to be a set of macro controls and nothing else. That's all I can see in the rack. Surely there must be some sort of device chain making the noise, but I can't seem to see it. Is there any way to?

chippy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

d0grent posted:

click this button

Ahhhh cheers, I'll try that later!