Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i would really be into ableton having something similar to cv toolkit built into the software. retro hardware and modular love is still going strong. custom voltages for things like mini20s and tuning memory would really help taking all the boring setup of hardware out of the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Supersonic posted:

Ended up giving in and picking up the Chord player and its super cool. Was able to play the main riff of ELO's Evil Woman with only 3 buttons and coming up with chord progressions is a blast compared to remembering all the chord shapes (some of which I find awkward on push). My friend ended up picking it up too after seeing me mess around with it and its pretty intuitive to use and easy to setup.

As someone who can barely play twinkle twinkle little star, yay.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure this out but I am having an issue with the audio output on my new Roland TR-8. I currently have it connected to my computer via USB and have the Audio routed into my Scarlett 18i8 via the 7/8 Line Inputs on the back. The problem I am running into is I seem to hear 2 sets of audio coming out of my monitors. One set of audio is coming out of Ableton, but the 2nd set appears to be simply playing directly from TR-8 -> Scarlett -> Monitors without hitting Ableton. I feel like there has to be a way to disable the non-ableton audio but I am a dumb.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure this out but I am having an issue with the audio output on my new Roland TR-8. I currently have it connected to my computer via USB and have the Audio routed into my Scarlett 18i8 via the 7/8 Line Inputs on the back. The problem I am running into is I seem to hear 2 sets of audio coming out of my monitors. One set of audio is coming out of Ableton, but the 2nd set appears to be simply playing directly from TR-8 -> Scarlett -> Monitors without hitting Ableton. I feel like there has to be a way to disable the non-ableton audio but I am a dumb.

It's been ages since I've used a Scarlett but you should be able to disable direct monitoring in the MixControl software for any of the inputs. Or disable input monitoring in Live until you need it. Kinda depends on how much you care about latency at any given moment.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MockingQuantum posted:

It's been ages since I've used a Scarlett but you should be able to disable direct monitoring in the MixControl software for any of the inputs. Or disable input monitoring in Live until you need it. Kinda depends on how much you care about latency at any given moment.

loving hell, I should have known that. My old 2i2 had an actual "Direct Monitoring" button on the front but my new 18i8 does not. I will have to check when I get home but maybe it is an option on the scarlett's mixer settings on the computer.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

MrSargent posted:

loving hell, I should have known that. My old 2i2 had an actual "Direct Monitoring" button on the front but my new 18i8 does not. I will have to check when I get home but maybe it is an option on the scarlett's mixer settings on the computer.

It is, but it's a bit more complex than a switch - you'll need to set up a mixer scene that sets the inputs you're recording/don't want direct monitored to -inf volume on the output mixer.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

HandlingByJebus posted:

It is, but it's a bit more complex than a switch - you'll need to set up a mixer scene that sets the inputs you're recording/don't want direct monitored to -inf volume on the output mixer.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I am assuming it would be a good idea to do this with my Minilogue as well so it doesn't do direct monitoring either?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I really do not want a new UI regardless of what it is. not because the current one is perfect but it works well enough and I just dont want to spend any time learning how to navigate some new poo poo. tbh there's nothing I'm really hoping for in 10 other than some fun new instruments to play with

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

10 desperately needs the ability to put an LFO on any control on its native plugins and 3rd party plugin parameters as well. If you can automate it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to put an LFO on it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the tips. I am assuming it would be a good idea to do this with my Minilogue as well so it doesn't do direct monitoring either?

Yup :) or you can turn off monitoring on that track in Live and leave the direct monitoring, but that's fucky if you're using effects.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

d0grent posted:

10 desperately needs the ability to put an LFO on any control on its native plugins and 3rd party plugin parameters as well. If you can automate it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to put an LFO on it.

yeah true, it's already a part of Max4Live but should definitely be a basic native Ableton thing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Reading about the Mixing Music Jamboree thread gave me an idea for another interactive thread that I thought could be fun. In that thread, they are all going to decide on a set of stems from a project that they will all take a shot at mixing and share their finished mixes.

I feel like we need more goon collaborations in this forum and it seems like we have a good amount of Ableton users in this thread. I would like to organize a "Beat Roulette" thread and wanted to gauge interest. I have included some preliminary details below so you have an idea of how I would like to execute the project.

-Essentially, we will all collaborate on a single track via scheduling "slots" where each person "owns" the project for a certain period of time and can use their time however they like
-A few details will be decided up-front to guide everyone so we aren't completely clashing (bpm, genre, maybe other things)
-We would decide on an overall time limit for the project.
-We could use Splice to easily collaborate and version control the project
-The person to "start" the track will lay down their ideas in the time they have and at the end of their time, they will "submit" the project by uploading the latest version to Splice (this is handled automatically if you are using Splice)
-The submission will include a post in this thread that details all of the changes / additions that were made. This is the part I hope people would participate in because I think there is a lot we could learn from each other.
-We would also come up with some guidelines for what extent you can change someone else's submission. I think we could be reasonable with this where people won't straight up delete an entire track someone wrote, but on the other hand if most agree that something doesn't fit, we shouldn't be forced to keep it.
-Possibly once we are done with the writing/production phase, we could each take a pass at mixing the track and compare mixes and notes.

I really think this would be fun and would have no problem setting this up if there is enough interest. I am hoping for at least 4 people to join in but the more the merrier.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be keen to try and participate, as long as there's long or flexible time limits - my schedule will be a bit erratic for the next few months.

Did you watch the Collab Alliance video series on youtube? A bunch of really great musicians teamed up and made like a 7 minute dubstep, glitch, dnb orchestral wtf of a track. I think ultimately it was a bit of a case of too-many-cooks, though.

As far as deciding up-front, I think picking a genre minute 1 is the only way to do it. If it was just 125bpm, house/electro rather than having people add in dnb sections and disco breakdowns that'd be a lot easier to wrangle, long term.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

well why not posted:

I'd be keen to try and participate, as long as there's long or flexible time limits - my schedule will be a bit erratic for the next few months.

Did you watch the Collab Alliance video series on youtube? A bunch of really great musicians teamed up and made like a 7 minute dubstep, glitch, dnb orchestral wtf of a track. I think ultimately it was a bit of a case of too-many-cooks, though.

As far as deciding up-front, I think picking a genre minute 1 is the only way to do it. If it was just 125bpm, house/electro rather than having people add in dnb sections and disco breakdowns that'd be a lot easier to wrangle, long term.

Yah I was definitely thinking we would have longer time limits. My thought was at least a week and maybe two weeks per person. I never watched the collab alliance video but I will have to check it out.

As I thought about it more, I completely agree that we would need to pick a genre and bpm to stick with so we don't end up with some Frankensong. If there are a few more people interested, I can put together a thread and get the ball rolling. As far as genre, I am thinking I want to stick with either House (or variations) or Hip-Hop since those are the ones I am most familiar with.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Upgraded to 10.13 on release, Ableton Live 9.7.4 crashed on startup, finally dealt with it this morning. Preferences.cfg deletion worked to reset Live, now everything's working fine. Haven't noticed any AU plugin issues. Follow instructions at https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209070609-How-to-reset-Live

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 26, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

well why not posted:

Ok since no one else wants to run the gauntlet, do you have any interest in making this a duo project? I didn't see that you had PMs so let me know if you are interested and we can exchange info or something. I mostly do house/electro/hip-hop stuff if any of that works for you.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MrSargent posted:

Ok since no one else wants to run the gauntlet, do you have any interest in making this a duo project? I didn't see that you had PMs so let me know if you are interested and we can exchange info or something. I mostly do house/electro/hip-hop stuff if any of that works for you.

yeah man, cool. I do house/electro/whatever, I love everything basically. I have splice all setup and my profile is here:

https://splice.com/glxe

I'll add some stuff to it in the next few days.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Live 10 info is out and it's a big one!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wavetable looks lovely, multi-clip editing and groups within groups are great and built in max4live means I might actually use it! There's a lot to like in this new version. Gonna be well worth the 200 notes to upgrade from live 9 suite to 10 suite.

Oh, and the Push2 improvements look insanely good. Roll on 2018...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

subgroups and multiclip would be enough for me, everything past that is basically gravy

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So regarding the pricing ... if you have a copy of Live 9 now, you pay the upgrade price, but if you buy one between now and 10's release at the 20% off price, you get a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out? Is that right?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chippy posted:

So regarding the pricing ... if you have a copy of Live 9 now, you pay the upgrade price, but if you buy one between now and 10's release at the 20% off price, you get a free upgrade to 10 when it comes out? Is that right?

Seems to be, yeah.

They just don't want people holding off paying them money until 10 comes out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Plavski posted:

Seems to be, yeah.

They just don't want people holding off paying them money until 10 comes out.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm only wondering since I bought a copy of Live Suite with the education discount only a couple of months ago. Just weighing up my options for an upgrade - there's no student prices for an upgrade to 10 currently if you already own 9... I guess there might be if it launches but I suppose once it launches the 20% pre-order upgrade discount won't be available. Just trying to decide whether to upgrade now or hope there's a student discount on the upgrade once it launches. Think I'll probably just do the pre-order upgrade, it's pretty reasonable.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

built in max4live means I might actually use it!

Same, didn’t even bother installing it on my current computer.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

chippy posted:

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'm only wondering since I bought a copy of Live Suite with the education discount only a couple of months ago. Just weighing up my options for an upgrade - there's no student prices for an upgrade to 10 currently if you already own 9... I guess there might be if it launches but I suppose once it launches the 20% pre-order upgrade discount won't be available. Just trying to decide whether to upgrade now or hope there's a student discount on the upgrade once it launches. Think I'll probably just do the pre-order upgrade, it's pretty reasonable.

You should email them and see what they can do for you. They're really good at helping people out like that. I missed a 30% sale by a week and told them I was going to buy a push 2 and suite upgrade and they gave me a 30% off voucher.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm, interesting. I might give that a go, thank you.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPGuqOQ_uEY

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Plavski posted:

You should email them and see what they can do for you. They're really good at helping people out like that. I missed a 30% sale by a week and told them I was going to buy a push 2 and suite upgrade and they gave me a 30% off voucher.

+1 - Ableton is very good this way.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Actually, looks like my question is pretty comprehensively answered here: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001575210?input_string=ableton+live+10+upgrade+-+education+discount%3F

It looks as though the current pre-order offer is going to be the cheapest way for me.

e: Sent a support email anyway just in case someone is feeling generous.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 2, 2017

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Tom Cosm has been streaming all the new stuff in Live 10 Beta here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1ce7ehfRI

Still going as of time of posting

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

wayfinder posted:

Tom Cosm has been streaming all the new stuff in Live 10 Beta here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1ce7ehfRI

Still going as of time of posting

Man, someone posted Tom Cosm's Ableton Tutorial videos here years ago and that was my introduction to production. Learned quite a lot from them!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

MrSargent posted:

Man, someone posted Tom Cosm's Ableton Tutorial videos here years ago and that was my introduction to production. Learned quite a lot from them!

Have a link to the tutorial playlist?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

khysanth posted:

Have a link to the tutorial playlist?

Unfortunately they are behind a paywall and I didn't see them on his youtube channel. But, you can subscribe to his website for a month, download all of the videos and then cancel the membership if you want. The videos cover so much of Ableton though that I think it is worth it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The first video in Tom's series is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I didn't actually realise that Live 10 will output MP3 until I watched Slynk's video. Holy poo poo that'll be awesome for quick demos and stuff. I abhor rendering poo poo out and having to transcode it to a smaller filesize.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

literally the best feature is the recording without recording. i've lost so much cool improv because i don't bother pressing record until i've "got something" which inevitably ends up worse than the ideas that lead there

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, 'Capture'. Can't wait to see how that works. It's such an "Ableton" feature - something that doesn't really fit the 'tape recorder' metaphor that other DAWs adhere to.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
At another forum some peopel were quick to point out to me that both Cubase and Logic could do this already, and I think one of the Roland Fantoms also had something like it (Skip Back sampling)

But it's neat to have in Live as well :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Oh cool, that's nice it's available in more places, I had no idea. Q1 can't come soon enough.