Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TrenchMaul
Mar 9, 2009

Victor Surge posted:

The asset I used for a couple of the pictures was the creepy tall guy from Phantasm.

Holy Crap, that's exactly what I thought of! I hope you didn't mind me using him for my pic, the whole thing just really reminded me of Dyatlov pass for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

21stCentury posted:

Say, Victor, have you ever played any of the Chzo mythos games? (5 days a stranger, 7 days a skeptic, Trillby's Notes and 6 days a sacrifice)

Nope. Never even heard of them. v:shobon:v
I will check it up on wiki though.

^^no big deal, the other poster who did some Slender Man pics used him too.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax

quote:

THE RAKE AND THE SLENDER MAN

Oh my christ, gently caress you guys fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

I'm going back to TFR and never ever coming back.

edit: The only movie that ever scared me was the mothman prophecies and this is just like it and it's horrifying

TrenchMaul
Mar 9, 2009

Sgt. Shaved Balls posted:

edit: The only movie that ever scared me was the mothman prophecies and this is just like it and it's horrifying

You know that movie left me scared of mirrors for about 2 years, because of that one line:

quote:

Last night I woke up... with the worst headache I've ever had in my life. And I... I went into the bathroom to get some aspirin... And I happened to look in the mirror... and... I swear to God, I see something I cant describe. But it sure as hell ain't my reflection. And then I hear this weird howl coming out of the sink. And there's a voice. It's a voice and it's saying: "Do not be afraid. Ninety-nine will die. Denver Nine". I even wrote it down.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
Mothman is one of my favorite movies for sure. Sometimes late at night after using the bathroom sink I look up at the mirror and half expect to see a horrible creature instead of my reflection thanks to that movie.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I'm a big fan of the big organic collaborative creative horror thing that's going on in this thread. Reminds me of the SCP series.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Think I might hammer out a short story about Slender Man tonight, as words are my area of relative expertise. Should I base it on one of the pictures, or no?

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Oh! Do your own and try to get somebody to do a picture based off of the story.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Hope this is up to Slender Man quality.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

Ejiehi posted:

Oh kay... That is creepy. Where did the slender man come from? Did his idea spontaneously come to us on SAF?

Bushwhacked
Oct 4, 2008

Ah-cha-ch-ch-cha-cha...

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Ejiehi posted:

I must be missing it, or is that him outside of the window?

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Machismo posted:

Oh kay... That is creepy. Where did the slender man come from? Did his idea spontaneously come to us on SAF?

I've been following the signs for quite some time.

There are woodcuts dated back to the 16th century in Germany featuring a tall, disfigured man with only white spheres where his eyes should be. They called him "Der Großmann"[Sic], the tall man. He was a fairy who lived in the Black Forest. Bad children who crept into the woods at night would be chased by the slender man, and he wouldn't leave them alone until he caught them, or the child told the parents what he or she had done. Even then, there is this chilling account from an old journal, dating around 1702:
(Translated from German, some words may be innaccurate)

"My child, my Lars...He is gone. Taken, from his bed. The only thing that we found was a scrap of black clothing. It feels like cotton, but it is softer...thicker. Lars came into my bedroom yesterday, screaming at the top of his lungs that "The angel is outside!", I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me some nonsense fairy story about Der Großmann. He said he went into the groves by our village and found one of my cows dead, hanging from a tree. I thought nothing of it at first...But now, he is gone. We must find Lars, and my family must leave before we are killed. I am sorry my son...I should have listened. May God forgive me."

There is more evidence of the slender man, but this is one of the oldest translatable accounts. Anyone else in the thread found anything like this?

Gerogerigegege
May 1, 2009

Here's my Slender Man contribution:

Asset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78428166@N00/121659313/sizes/o/

Story tellers, you're more than welcome to write a backstory for this one.

Gerogerigegege fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 15, 2009

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I know of an old Romanian fairy tale, highly unpopular even in its earliest iterations. It might be based on a particular event, or perhaps it is an extrapolation from existing Slender Man stories. The translation I'm most familiar with goes a bit like this:

Once upon a time there were twin girls, Stela and Sorina. They were brave little girls, and had no fear of the dark, nor of spiders and other crawling things. Where other young ladies and even young boys would cower, Stela and Sorina would walk with their heads held high. They were good girls, obedient to their mother and father and to the word of God. They were the best children a mother could ask for, and this was their undoing.

One day, Stela and Sorina were out with their mother gathering berries from the forest. Their mother bid them stay close to her, and they listened, as they were good children. The day was bright and clear, and even as they walked closer to the center of the forest the light barely dimmed. It was nearly bright as noon when they found the tall man.

The tall man stood in a clearing, dressed as a nobleman, all in black. Shadows lay over him, dark as a cloudy midnight. He had many arms, all long and boneless as snakes, all sharp as swords, and they writhed like worms on nails. He did not speak, but made his intentions known.

Their mother tried not to listen, but she could no more disobey the tall man than she could forget how to breathe. She walked into the clearing, her daughters shortly behind her. "Stela," she said, "take my knife, and cut a circle on the ground big enough to lie in." Stela, who was not afraid of the tall man, nor afraid of the quiver in her mother's voice, obeyed what her mother said. "Sorina," the mother said, "take the berries and spread them in the circle, and crush them underfoot until the juice stains the earth." Though Sorina wondered why her mother asked her to do such a thing, she obeyed, because she was a good girl.

"Stela," the mother said, "lie in the circle."

Stela, though she worried she might stain her clothes, did as her mother asked.

"Sorina," the mother said, and bid Sorina cut her sister open with the knife.

Sorina could not; would not.

"Please," her mother said. "If you don't, it will be worse. So much worse."

But Sorina could not, and she threw the knife away and ran home, crying. She hid under her bed, afraid for the first time in her life. She waited until her father came home from the fields, and told him of the terrible thing she had found in the woods. Her father comforted her, and told her she would be safe. He went to the woods, his axe in hand, and as he commanded, she stayed by the hearth, waiting for his return.

After some time she fell asleep. When she woke, it was to the sound of knocking on her door at the darkest hour of the night. "Who is there?" she said.

"It is your father," the knocker said.

"I don't believe you!" said Sorina.

"It is your sister," the knocker said.

"It cannot be!" said Sorina.

"I am your mother," said the knocker, "and I told you it would be worse." And the door, locked tight before her father left, fell open as if it had been left ajar. And her mother stepped in, her sister's head clutched in one bloody hand, her father's in the other.

"Why?" wept Sorina.

"Because," said her mother, "there is no reward for goodness; there is no respite for faith; there is nothing but cold steel teeth and scourging fire for all of us. And it's coming for you now."

And the tall man slid from the fire, and clenched Sorina in his burning embrace. And that was the end of her.

MooseyFate
May 20, 2007

Yes, that's right
I LOVE this type of thing. Something just feels satisfying about causing mass hysteria. I think we could roll with this slender man thing. Maybe if we make enough images and maybe if some talents can make fake videos, it could grow to ARG proportions (minus the advertising). Consider me on board, I can do some sound design things.

TrenchMaul
Mar 9, 2009

MooseyFate posted:

I LOVE this type of thing. Something just feels satisfying about causing mass hysteria. I think we could roll with this slender man thing. Maybe if we make enough images and maybe if some talents can make fake videos, it could grow to ARG proportions (minus the advertising). Consider me on board, I can do some sound design things.

I can see this happening, the whole thing seems like perfect material for a hypertext fiction (think Dionaea House). I'm not really digging these folklore backstories though.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Thoreau-Up posted:

I've been following the signs for quite some time.

There are woodcuts dated back to the 16th century in Germany featuring a tall, disfigured man with only white spheres where his eyes should be.

Oooooh someone should make woodcuts or old illustrations for the that folktale. I'd try, but my parents are visiting for the week, so I'm not going to be able to devote anytime to this for a little while.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

I think a more modern thing would be best. You know like kids start disappearing in the 50's. More contemporary with less of a back story or explanation. I dunno it seems creepier if he just shows up out of no where.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Slender Man.

He exists because you thought of him.

Now try and not think of him.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Am I the only one getting "unfolder" vibes from Slender Man? Something about the way his arms seem unspooled, and lurking in the background of photos with children.

Mattslox
Jan 11, 2004

LIVE IN TREATMENT OK?
The Slender Man stuff is creepy as hell. It's like Phantasm meets Blair Witch.

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
heres an attempt at a ghost pic:

and a slender man attempt for good measure ;)

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Dr. Sanchez posted:

Am I the only one getting "unfolder" vibes from Slender Man? Something about the way his arms seem unspooled, and lurking in the background of photos with children.

Hey, I thought so too. That and, coincidentally, of an old superhero/villain (he was a bit ambiguous) I created, only his tentacles grew out of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

MooseyFate
May 20, 2007

Yes, that's right
The Slender Man should appear in seemingly innocent pictures (bright colors, happy people, etc) somewhere in the background for realism.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to sleep now and I'm scared the slender man will get me

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Dr. Sanchez posted:

Am I the only one getting "unfolder" vibes from Slender Man?
Nope; I was just too chickenshit to mention it until someone else said it.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Victor Surge posted:

"we didn't want to go, we didn't want to kill them, but its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time..."

1983, photographer unknown, presumed dead.

One of two recovered photographs from the Stirling City Library blaze. Notable for being taken the day which fourteen children vanished and for what is referred to as "The Slender Man". Deformities cited as film defects by officials. Fire at library occurred one week later. Actual photograph confiscated as evidence.

1986, photographer: Mary Thomas, missing since June 13th, 1986.

Body of Missing Child Recovered Five Months After Stirling City Library Disappearance

AP, Kingston Falls - Slain toddler Joseph Pertman was discovered yesterday in the Great Swamp Nature Preserve, where passing hunters noticed his body in an unlikely hiding spot.

...Though Joseph, along with thirteen other children, had vanished over 5 months ago, his body was recovered in early stages of decay, suggesting he was alive until very recently, said Deputy Sheriff Jim Stolz.

Stolz told the Associated Press that the body was found in a state of “bizarre contortion”, although the cause of death is pending investigation.

Coroner Patricia Clark did provide comment.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Thoreau-Up posted:

There are woodcuts dated back to the 16th century in Germany featuring a tall, disfigured man with only white spheres where his eyes should be.

From Brandenburg Circa 1550:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Schlankwald
by: Unknown
Translated (poorly) by: James Rossi

They say that monsters come only at night,
That light will drive them away.
But not all creatures follow this rule,
Safety not certain during the day.

He hides on the fringes of your vision,
Brief glimpses of the distorted.
He slithers and writhes behind your eyes,
Reaching for you, limbs contorted.

Before you know it your children are taken,
And now it's come down to you.
His breath is oppressive, his presence acidic,
He feels pity is undue.

Suddenly, trapped in his grasp so tight,
You struggle to break yourself free.
He laughs and he gurgles and he screeches with glee,
He turns your head for you to see.

Your children are crying though their eyes are removed,
They collapse, still and silent.
His arms and legs bend pulling you closer,
The man's eyes dark and violent.

He strikes and he cuts, your skin flays open,
Your soul to weak to resist.
This should not have happened, if only you had listened,
Never go into his forest.

Coincidentally I kind of hate poetry so sorry for the suck...

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 15, 2009

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009

Happy Go Lumpy
Sep 17, 2007

Yes, very wondering.

Clockspider
Oct 10, 2007

I'm loving all this Slender Man stuff. Maybe it should be its own thread.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I like this idea alot, and the slender man is fun. How about some adding him to various historical shots?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Kitten Cakes posted:

You should seriously consider submitting this and the back-story to https://www.ghoststudy.com

I promise I'll be F5'ing for replies. What you've got in that picture is just a camera strap... oh poo poo ...oh poo poo ;) Well done.

Bonus points if you create fake EXIF metatags.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 15, 2009

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Gerogerigegege posted:

Here's my Slender Man contribution:

Asset: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78428166@N00/121659313/sizes/o/

Story tellers, you're more than welcome to write a backstory for this one.

Photo: Henderson Horse Farm, 1954

Case: The Hederson Family owned the farm and land since the mid 1800s. The owners were Ted Wilcox Henderson(age 41), Judi Henderson (wife, age 36) and Tracy Henderson (daughter, age 6).

On the morning of June 15th (about 8 days after picture was taken) neighbors called the local police, complaing of screams, and the sounds of gun fire.

Sheriff Clint Denterman (age 54) and two deputies, Dan Parks (age 24) and Chris Fines (age 33) came to the farm at 8:34 am. The horses in the barn were torn apart, almost as if attacked by wild animals. Inside the main house reports said that there was blood all over the living room, kitchen, and hall way.

Ted was found in the bed room, barricaded behind some furniture. next to him was the body of his wife, killed by a shotgun blast to the chest. Ted still had the weapon in his hands.

From Dan Parks' report:
"Ted had a freaked out, far off look in his eyes. He seemed to not realize that we were in the room. We asked what happened. Where was his daughter. But he didn't answer."

Ted was charged with the murder of his wife. Due to his mental state he was sent to Jenkins Mental Hospital.

For almost a year and a half Ted did not speak. On the 3rd anniversary of the murder Dr. Dauton called the Sheriff. Ted was speaking.

From the recoding of Dr. Dauton, June 15th, 1956 8:30pm

DAUTON: Ok Ted... go ahead

TED: (almost out of breath) It's on? Am I safe?

DAUTON: Yes, you are safe. Now tell me what happened that night.

TED: The horses.... horses actin up... the horses...

DAUTON: Go on

TED: W...went out there... dead... all dead... the eyes... no.... no eyes

DAUTON: What did you see?

TED: Ran... ran inside... got gun... Tracy crying... Judi screaming... r...ran to them... He had them... was holding them...

DAUTON: Who had them?

TED: Skinny fella... suite... Looking at me... Judi screaming... shoot me... SHOOOT ME SHOOT MEEEE!

(Ted starts screaming for a period, then slams hands onto table)

DAUTON: You shot Judi?

TED: Saved her... saved her...

DAUTON: Did you shoot Tracy?

TED: No... It went after me... They went after me... shot them... shot them... keep shooting... Tracy... let Tracy go... drat it LET HER GO!

(Ted started to had a yelling fit, suddenly starts slamming his face into the steel table. Two orderlies grabbed Ted and Dr. Dauton injected him with some tranquilizers.)

END OF TAPE

Ted Henderson was found dead in his room at 3 am on June 16th. Ted was somehow able to get out of his retrants and chew through his wrist, bleeding to death.

The picture was studied several times. The experts agree that the man in the suit may be the one that Ted was saying was the one who attacked his farm and stole his child.

Tracy Henderson was never found.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
I work in a radio newsroom, and I saw this come down a few months back. Didn't think much of it then, but all this "Slender Man" stuff made me think of it.

I copy and pasted this from the wire copy,

Alta-Missing-Skiers
received: Feb 12, 2009 at 07:49 PM

INDEX: Mountains, Environment
20-year-old skier found dead after month-long search.

JASPER, Alta. - The body of a 20-year-old woman has been found after a month-long search in the Rockies west of Jasper.
RCMP and park officials confirm the body to be that of missing skier Amanda Fischer, who has not been seen since leaving on a trip with three friends in early January.
Her remains were discovered today by park officials. Reports suggest her body was found contorted, and in an advanced state of decay, high in a tree. Investigators have refused to comment how her body could have been left in such a condition.
On January 10th, Fischer, along with boyfriend Douglas Bellanger, 21, and friend Natasha Pierce, 20, left their cabin at Mica Mountains Resort. That was the last time they were seen alive.
A second friend, 22-year-old Thomas Chambers left them a day before the disappearance, to return to Calgary, allegedly due to health concerns. He was questioned by RCMP two days after the other three were declared missing.
During questioning Chambers allegedly told officers that he had left the other three and returned home due to recurring night-terrors featuring a tall man in black peering in through his cabin's window.
Investigators confirmed they had ruled Chambers out as a possible suspect, but considered him a key witness. A source within the RCMP, who spoke on condition of anonymity, revealed to the Calgary Sun that officers had confiscated a digital camera and a camcorder at the time of the interview, which were never returned.
RCMP have been unable to question Chambers further, as he himself has been missing since January 21st. His home was found ransacked that morning, and he has not been seen since.
The hunt continues for information or clues that could lead investigators to the location, or bodies, of Bellanger, Pierce and Chambers. The disappearances are considered linked, but RCMP refuse to comment further.(Cal Sun)(The Canadian Press)

Eerie similarities? Or maybe there's something more going on here? I'll poke around and see if I can find other stories that might be linked to this.

Man... if anyone could find copies of whatever was on the digital camera... or the camcorder... that was confiscated, that would be pretty sweet.

The Psyentist
Apr 7, 2008
I'm not scared of The Rake or the Slender Man.

:smug:

The concept is pretty cool though. I might attempt a couple images when I get home.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Master
Jan 12, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Buseycabra - horror of the Mexican lowlands!

Seriously, this Slender Man stuff not good for bedtime reading... yet I can't stop. drat you, for enthralling me while at the same time ensuring my nightmares will be freakish and awful.