Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to configure my Wordpress E-Commerce store to offer a shipping discount to customers who buy 3 or more products; so, regardless of total shipping price, if you buy >=3 items your shipping cost will only be $5.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this before? Is there a shipping plugin that can help with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a Wordpress site with a store. When I put something in my cart and checkout, the state in the shipping area is static text instead of a field I can fill out. Any ideas about why this is happening?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I've seen from SEO people are either obvious things (mod_rewrite, use alt text for images, type a description, sitemap, meaningful links, headers) or superstition (change the class names in your CSS, change Javascript comments)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's SEO plugins for every CMS. Probably couldn't hurt to install one and make sure it's configured well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
probably

! ( is_single() && (in_category('464') || in_category('473')))

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a Wordpress user who isn't getting the bar at the top of the control panel and other important UI elements on the Dashboard or the Edit Post page. On the post listing page, for example, everything seems fine. According to Firebug, most of the Javascript from the other pages isn't being loaded from the server when I'm on the Dashboard. There's no errors in the console.

Anyone seen this before? It only affects some users, but not admins.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's probably something in your theme

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
1. Copy all the files.
2. Dump the database.
3. Use the mysql bundled program "replace" to find and replace the old URL with the new URL on your SQL file.
4. Upload your files and import the database. Nothing else to worry about, typically.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Running a Wordpress multisite will let you manage users, posts, and code across multiple sites with their own domains, I think

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does WP provide a function to deactivate a plugin by name?

I ask because one of the people I work with has a local setup that for some reason sends tons of email via WP Better Security until it gets deactivated. What I'd like to do is to add something in functions.php that'll detect if we're running on "localhost" and then deactivate that plugin.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a lovely poster posted:

Is there an easy way to figure out which template files are being used for a particular page being viewed?

This ought to eliminate the guesswork
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy#Visual_Overview

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about listing the posts in a template or in the control panel?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you get extraneous output after your Posts2Posts loop, remember to add wp_reset_postdata() after it finishes

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you make a diagnostic section on a template and check the output of get_settings('home')?
Is there any cache that ought to be cleared in your browser or the server?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the W3 Total Cache plugin?

Yeah, it's a beast. What's up?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You'll either need to use mod_rewrite to accommodate the URL or write a custom walker function for your menu template.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Comparing date('N') to see if it's >=6 (Saturday) ought to get what you need

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not hard, but you'll need to do a little development in your theme to make it happen.

Make a custom post type for your software project and add new fields (about, publications, repo, bug tracker) with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin. Then, create archive and single templates for your custom post type with your new fields on it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind, I'm totally wrong about all of what I just asked

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 9, 2013

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could fetch the attached images in your template (or use Advanced Custom Fields) instead of inserting the images into the post body.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_children
http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/field-types/image/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you're actually paying income tax on a $25/hr contract rate, that's pretty lovely

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Advanced Custom Fields is really the way to go

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could partially automate upgrades to a specific version with wp-cli

http://wp-cli.org/commands/core/update/

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely start with static HTML and have Wordpress fill in the gaps. It will look exactly the way you want it to look. What you need to do is create a theme, which is basically all the elements of a regular static HTML site with Wordpress parts that get filled in by the CMS. If you already know PHP, it probably won't be difficult.

There's a theme development page in the Wordpress Codex that ought to tell you exactly how to get started. Once you've got the basics of the theme set up, come ask more specific questions and you'll be headed toward a finished site before you know it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry about it unless the extra stuff is confusing you. Your database system is made to handle tables much, much larger than that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's probably generating CSS automatically. You'll save yourself lots of trouble by creating a child theme and editing your own style.css inside the child theme.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Set a cookie and skip the animation if it's there?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chris! posted:

What would be the process to get this back online, onto a new, fresh host, with all the old data (there were tons of posts and uploads he wants to keep)? Can I just edit wp-config.php and copy the files to the server, create a database with the same name then import the database content later?

1. Copy the files to the new server
  2. Create an empty database and the user
  3. Import that database dump
  4. Install wp-cli
  5. Use wp-cli to search and replace the old filesystem path with the new one
  6. Use wp-cli to search and replace the old domain name with the new one if it's changed

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it's not hard. Post again if you get lost!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

Like /var/www/mysite with /var/www/mysite2? How come that path is even in the db?

Yes, exactly like that.
As for why, Wordpress leaves me wondering that about a lot of things.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

down with slavery posted:

You shouldn't need to replace to filesystem path.

That's what I thought too, until I worked on some sites that used those awkward abstract themes that stores all kinds of random poo poo in serialized arrays in the DB. All the widgets and a ton of custom CSS just disappeared upon migration! It took me way too much effort to figure out what had actually happened.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The point of using wp-cli is that it keeps you from loving up serialized arrays that are in the database. You can lose widget positions and theme configuration options like that. It doesn't matter for custom development that's done by hand, but those abstract "site building" type of themes will lose your whole setup.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

I deleted the inactive plugins just in case (is there any risk that an inactive plugin could still be up to something? I've always wondered this)

Yes. The plugin class itself may not be loaded, but the webserver still honors requests to the files in those directories. It's a huge problem and, to my mind, a good indication against ever starting a new project with Wordpress.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It depends. Nothing that I know of will meet the fast/cheap/easy balance that Wordpress strikes for users with all of its available themes and plugins. Drupal 8 will probably be the closest thing once it's released, but it still lacks in theme availability compared to Wordpress. For sites with custom design (or an available pile of HTML) Craft is probably the best bet. It's simple and easy to use, once you understand the multiple post and field set concept.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right, they won't see it until their browser requests a new version of it. Clearing the cache comes down to a browser-server interaction that I can't explain here. Read this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/460389/browser-caching-of-css-files

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been asked to add a new user to a site that I completed a couple weeks ago. I made an account and sent the credentials to the user. Done it a hundred times before; should be no problem. He replies with screenshots showing unknown username/email on both the login and forgot password pages.

To assess the situation, I try the forgot password feature with his email address. The site reports that it was sent. I try again with my own email and receive the forgot password link in my inbox immediately. He claims, however, that he never received the forgot password email I had sent to him, even in his spam folder.

The only things I can possibly imagine happening here are that either he's got a DNS problem (perhaps a hosts entry pointing to an old site?) along with with an email problem or that he's just lying to me for no clear reason. Am I overlooking any possibilities here? Are there any hiccups with Wordpress user registration I may have forgotten?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I managed to talk him through nslookup and found out that his IT company has a special (and now incorrect) DNS record for the domain pointing to an old server that also happens to be running Wordpress. Fun!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

I've just started helping an NGO with their current WordPress website. My first thought was to backup everything so that if I mess anything up I can recover and also to have a locally hosted copy that I could mess around with first before uploading changes. Is there anything else I should definitely focus on doing? Otherwise, I was going to start working on getting the plugins/news/etc updated and then start working on improving the theme (which they asked me to work on).

Version control. Setting up a local git repo is trivial, so do it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to inherit hosting and maintenance contracts for a bunch of Wordpress sites from a design shop that doesn't want to deal with Wordpress anymore. The prospect of upgrading the core and plugins of a dozen poorly built sites doesn't exactly appeal to me, though.

Is there any reason I shouldn't migrate all of them into a single WPMU installation? It seems like this would save me a lot of trouble, but I want to make sure I'm not going to be causing even more of a headache. Any reflections from someone who's done this before will be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's in the error logs? In my experience, Wordpress inconsistently doing a silent failure of any kind tends to mean you're running out of memory.