Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lead out in cuffs posted:

A first look at the upcoming transit/cycling/anti-congestion funding referendum in Metro Vancouver:

https://twitter.com/BoardofTrade/status/543120582401736705/photo/1

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. That looks like the Board of Trade is supportive, and I know quite a lot of other organisations are also in favour. It's also a bit sad that they dropped the idea of usage charging in favour of a sales tax increase.

A good majority of transportation referendums will get passed - even if it's for a facility that the majority won't be using. Most people understand that funding directly into infrastructure is a good idea, even if their perception of taxes overall is heavily negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

A good majority of transportation referendums will get passed - even if it's for a facility that the majority won't be using. Most people understand that funding directly into infrastructure is a good idea, even if their perception of taxes overall is heavily negative.

... unless you're in Florida. :negative:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Varance posted:

... unless you're in Florida. :negative:

Weren't they on the ballot essentially as :siren::siren: 1% SALES TAX INCREASE :siren::siren: for transportation infrastructure which spooked the conservative midterm electorate?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Weren't they on the ballot essentially as :siren::siren: 1% SALES TAX INCREASE :siren::siren: for transportation infrastructure which spooked the conservative midterm electorate?

Both Pinellas and Polk went down in flames because old people don't want to spend more of their precious retirement money, even if it's for good cause. You see, they still need to be able to afford to pay for their own gas and car insurance. PSTA management is also horrible and managed to have some pretty large blunders in the run-up to the vote, including misusing Homeland Security money to advertise the referendum instead of advertising security awareness on-board public transit. PSTA's union steals from its members, allegations of vehicle maintenance sabotage, etc.. That last one was a doozy... they had to cancel all morning service because they found missing lugs on multiple vehicles, and then subsequently royally screwed up the "compensation period" of free fares. Yeah, let people ride for free from 5AM to 1PM when the only thing you sell at the farebox is a day pass.

Pinellas is funny in that they already have a full cent for roads that could legally be used for transit. But the county has already committed to spending every last cent the tax generates on roads. Pinellas is also shrinking because of how backwards things are over there. Younger generations prefer to move to Hillsborough in droves, as Pinellas is stuck in the 1950s. Combined with the slow passing of its senior citizens, population growth is negative... in one of the fastest growing states.

Anyway, in regard to the ballot measure, wording is defined in the Florida statues as:
pre:
The following question shall be placed on the ballot:

FOR the	 -cent sales tax
 AGAINST the	 -cent sales tax
Not much you can do about that.

----------------

Edit: Across the bay, HART's transparency stuff is up now. The documents in that section describe every financial transaction of the agency, all the way down to the exact dollar amounts of everyone's paychecks.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2014

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

dupersaurus posted:

I've always assumed, with that memorial at the rest stop they wanted it to be accessible to both directions, and having the them crossover was cheaper than having it on one side, and giving the other side some big exit/overpass.

That's exactly why it was done. Both sides of the freeway get right-side exits.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Except that they had to build two overpasses instead of one, so I'm not seeing the benefit..?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Choadmaster posted:

Except that they had to build two overpasses instead of one, so I'm not seeing the benefit..?

They would've needed two overpasses over two barrels of traffic otherwise, so they cut their number of bridge spans in half.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If space isn't a constraint, you can easily do it with one bridge:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

If space isn't a constraint, you can easily do it with one bridge:

If space is a constraint, underpasses also work. We did this in Florida for the Sunshine Skyway Bridge rest areas, when the old Sunshine Skyway approaches were converted into fishing piers. These are also used as turn-arounds/waiting areas, when the bridge is closed due to high winds.

North end: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6494797,-82.6742437,769m/data=!3m1!1e3

South end: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.583924,-82.6128184,327m/data=!3m1!1e3

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 14, 2014

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
There's also this method which eliminates any conflicts and also has one of the few non-DDI instances of traffic driving on the left in the US. No turnarounds, though, as that portion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike is a closed-system toll road.

Dominus Vobiscum fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 14, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Funny you should say that. I actually did stay at a hotel in Russia this summer I would describe as "earplugs mandatory".

All I can say regarding that Massachusetts situation in Cichlidae's post is that I think freeways and interstates used to be a bit of a tourist attraction. At least in the UK I know I've seen documentaries (linked from this thread, even!) that showed people gathering to eat and relax overlooking them. Depending how old that hotel really is it might have been built during an equivalent era of novelty here in the US.
The Merritt Parkway in CT originally had picnic areas on the median and deer hunting from the shoulders was popular enough in the '30s and '40s that the state ran a PR and advertising campaign to get people to stop because of safety. The road is a traffic and safety nightmare, but when traffic is light it is a nice drive and the bridges are great, if not well preserved, examples of Art Deco architecture (I really want to see the White Oak Shade Road bridge, which is structurally deficient and visibly falling apart, rebuilt and painted with the original bright white.)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

The Merritt Parkway in CT originally had picnic areas on the median and deer hunting from the shoulders was popular enough in the '30s and '40s that the state ran a PR and advertising campaign to get people to stop because of safety. The road is a traffic and safety nightmare, but when traffic is light it is a nice drive and the bridges are great, if not well preserved, examples of Art Deco architecture (I really want to see the White Oak Shade Road bridge, which is structurally deficient and visibly falling apart, rebuilt and painted with the original bright white.)

I drove down the Merritt yesterday, and some of the bridges are in reeeeally bad shape. They're a pain to repair since the clearance is so low and because they have to be replaced pretty much identically to the original. I saw one overpass where the concrete on the fascia had almost completely spalled off, so even replacing it with a new (and equally beautiful) design would be an improvement.

By the way, the state's going to complete the 7/15 interchange soon. The design's been finalized, the money's allocated, and now it's time to bid.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I don't know how I feel about the new MassDoT. All over the state, they've been re-painting and adding signs and generally trying to make driving safer and easier. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Now they're adding flashing yellow arrows to make permissive lefts safer. This seems inimical to the Masshole way.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Jethro posted:

I don't know how I feel about the new MassDoT. All over the state, they've been re-painting and adding signs and generally trying to make driving safer and easier. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Now they're adding flashing yellow arrows to make permissive lefts safer. This seems inimical to the Masshole way.

Would this make Mass the second state (after SC, I believe) to adopt the flashing yellow left?

Man I would KILL to get repainted lines on Route 3, 495, and most of 128. It seems the state never restripes roads unless it repaves them, which is nonsense.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

kefkafloyd posted:

Would this make Mass the second state (after SC, I believe) to adopt the flashing yellow left?

Man I would KILL to get repainted lines on Route 3, 495, and most of 128. It seems the state never restripes roads unless it repaves them, which is nonsense.

We've had them in NC for a few years now. In fact, I just saw a new variation where it's just three lights: the flashing arrow and no green.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

dupersaurus posted:

We've had them in NC for a few years now. In fact, I just saw a new variation where it's just three lights: the flashing arrow and no green.

NC, that's it. Forgive me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What do you call those short dashes in big intersections usually with multiple left turn lanes to help guide cars? Cat tracks? An intersection I saw recently got flashing ones, they flash in a row like airport landing lights. I think a lot of people were turning left into the wrong lane or oncoming lane so the whole road flashes to direct them to the correct lane when the left turn signal is active. Never seen that before!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Baronjutter posted:

What do you call those short dashes in big intersections usually with multiple left turn lanes to help guide cars? Cat tracks? An intersection I saw recently got flashing ones, they flash in a row like airport landing lights. I think a lot of people were turning left into the wrong lane or oncoming lane so the whole road flashes to direct them to the correct lane when the left turn signal is active. Never seen that before!

The I-95 South exit to FL SR84 West has something like those, to prevent people from accidentally turning head-on into westbound traffic. It's hilarious looking at night.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

They've been widespread in Florida for a couple years now. Mass is actually a bit slow to get on that bandwagon.

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMjZOXt8MtU

MrYenko posted:

The I-95 South exit to FL SR84 West has something like those, to prevent people from accidentally turning head-on into westbound traffic. It's hilarious looking at night.

Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-j2rngB3_8

Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toPS-16pjiA

Varance fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 16, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Varance, did you some how know the exact intersection I was talking about or is that an amazing coincidence that the video you posted happened to be the exact intersection by where my wife works that I was talking about?? My mind is a bit blown right now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
If turning lane lights are a pretty new thing then it's quite likely the company just used that as it's one of the first and only examples in the wild.

No need for the :tinfoil:!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Deadly Hume posted:

If turning lane lights are a pretty new thing then it's quite likely the company just used that as it's one of the first and only examples in the wild.

No need for the :tinfoil:!

Exactly. Pilot programs usually consist of only one or two installations until the tech is studied and approved for wider use. The company pushing the tech always makes a big deal out of them.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Jethro posted:

Are there any explanatory signs at these intersections? It seems intuitive to me, but I'm sure plenty of people will be confused the first time they pull up.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Kakairo posted:

Are there any explanatory signs at these intersections? It seems intuitive to me, but I'm sure plenty of people will be confused the first time they pull up.

Minnesota has been putting in flashing yellows as well. All of the older ones and most of the newer (last 1/2 year) ones have signs. Maybe they're hoping people have it figured out by now.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Flashing yellow is a lot more popular than I thought, wow.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I have seen a good deal of flashing yellow used down here in southwest Virginia, though I still don't see what benefit it has over 5 light setups where end of protected left turns to just a green.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen a flashing yellow arrow in many years of driving around CT, MA, and RI. I guess I will soon enough.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Flashing yellow arrows for permissive lefts are a thing here in southern Oregon as well.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have seen a good deal of flashing yellow used down here in southwest Virginia, though I still don't see what benefit it has over 5 light setups where end of protected left turns to just a green.

The 5-light setup doesn't allow you to give a permissive left while holding back thru-traffic on the same direction. Maybe not a huge deal. But I've seen them installed on two-left-lane intersections, which is great since those never used to get permissive lefts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.citylab.com/cityfixer/2014/12/a-widely-used-planning-manual-tends-to-recommend-building-far-more-roads-than-needed/383759/
Usin' bad metrics and buildin' too many roads!

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Silver95280 posted:

Minnesota has been putting in flashing yellows as well. All of the older ones and most of the newer (last 1/2 year) ones have signs. Maybe they're hoping people have it figured out by now.

If they're common across the state now, then the need for signs is diminished. Still, I would put signs at intersections near state borders and Interstate off-ramps to inform out-of-staters. I've never seen a flashing yellow arrow in IL, WI, or IN.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've rarely seen an intersection with a left arrow without a sign. All the old ones around me have the standard "Left turn yield on green" and the new ones have "Left turn must yield on flashing yellow."

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen a flashing yellow arrow in many years of driving around CT, MA, and RI. I guess I will soon enough.

Yeah but we've got flashing greens around Boston. A flashing yellow wouldn't be the least intuitive traffic control device I've seen by far.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I lived in Christiansburg/Blacksburg from 2001 to 2010 or so, and I don't recall any of these. Are they recent?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ConfusedUs posted:

I lived in Christiansburg/Blacksburg from 2001 to 2010 or so, and I don't recall any of these. Are they recent?

Must be, I've only been here since 2013. There's several on South Main from the intersection just before the Kroger coming from town down to the interchange with the bypass, and then a few are present on 11 and a few roads over in Roanoke. Then there's two on University City Boulevard.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kakairo posted:

If they're common across the state now, then the need for signs is diminished. Still, I would put signs at intersections near state borders and Interstate off-ramps to inform out-of-staters. I've never seen a flashing yellow arrow in IL, WI, or IN.

They've been in Wisconsin for a few years now. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/flashing-yellow.htm - dated March 2011.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

I drove down the Merritt yesterday, and some of the bridges are in reeeeally bad shape. They're a pain to repair since the clearance is so low and because they have to be replaced pretty much identically to the original. I saw one overpass where the concrete on the fascia had almost completely spalled off, so even replacing it with a new (and equally beautiful) design would be an improvement.
Nah, they're perfectly fine
https://goo.gl/maps/Dj1hK (the repaired section has since fallen off or hopefully been intentionally removed by the DOT)
https://goo.gl/maps/ZXurr (it's been like that for 10+ years)
https://goo.gl/maps/aV2eV (probably won't actually split in half and fall to both sides cartoon-style)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/major-chicago-study-finds-red-light-cameras-not-safer-cause-more-rear-end-injuries/

quote:

Major Chicago study finds red light cameras not safer, cause more rear-end injuries
(...)
But recently, administrators trotted out a seemingly redeeming statistic: that the introduction of the cameras had created a 47 percent reduction in the rate of right angle, or “T-bone,” injury crashes.

The Chicago Tribune in response commissioned a scientific study by two well-regarded transportation researchers, who found that the statistics promoted by the mayor's office were misleading. According to the Tribune, the authors of the study found a statistically significant, but still smaller, reduction in angle and turning injury crashes by 15 percent, as well as “a statistically significant increase of 22 percent in rear-end injury collisions.” Overall, there was “a non-significant increase of 5 percent in the total number of injury crashes” that happened at intersections with red light cameras when comparing the injury crashes that occurred there before and after the cameras were present.

Anyone surprised?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 20, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not at all. The closest calls I've had driving were all because of people jamming on the breaks on the highway or freaking out / getting distracted after noticing a police speed trap or special enforcement area. I think we really need a better traffic and safety enforcement ideology other than just catching speeders. But they're the lowest hanging fruit and very profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
All this complaining about red light cameras seems bizarre to me and I never heard of it outside of these forums. In the Netherlands they're a pretty standard feature, hardly anyone complains about them because everyone pretty much agrees that running a red light is bad. Of course, we do have sane yellow times...
I haven't heard of accidents from people seeing them either, I guess because it's quite common to see them.