Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Booblord Sagat posted:

Another question, what exactly constitutes "Nature Boy" wrestling style? I always thought it was just a dumb nickname for Flair but that does not seem to be the case.

No I'm pretty sure that's the case. Well, other than the fact that Buddy Rogers had the nickname first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

:siren: Big Show talks about the moonsault :siren:

quote:

In the beginning, times were fun, according to the Show, but also not without their pitfalls, as he relates in a humorous story about performing a moonsault.

"It was pretty goofy. The only problem was that I don't think anybody wanted to lay underneath of me when I landed. We were screwing around with it, and one of the upper-echelon in WCW at the time pretty much reamed my rear end out for doing that. I was a rookie at the time, and didn't really know how to stand up for myself. Basically, they told me I had no business being on the top rope at all; I was a ground attacker, and I was a tank, so stay off the tope rope. Dallas (Page) and Terry Taylor (put him up to it), and it was one of those collective 'you've got so much athleticism show it.' So I did, and I got my rear end chewed out right after it. I haven't actually hit somebody with it, but it was a glorified miss."

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBiosW/wight_08may01-can.html

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Here's a blog post with some recommended Henry matches. Haven't seen them so I can't personally vouch for the quality, but these guys usually know their stuff (although calling him "an elite worker" is silly).

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Remember when he wrestled as Billy G? Had to be one of the most nonsensical name changes of all time. They didn't even give him a Kenny G gimmick.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Rankine Over Gash posted:

What is the general PSP consensus about Bret Hart? is there an aknowledgement he is/was the best ever or are there non believers?

Not even close to the best ever, probably not even the best WWF wrestler ever (I might put Austin and Eddie ahead of him, to name two), but yeah, he was pretty great.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I probably shouldn't have said "not even close" as if there was no discussion to be had. For what it's worth, Bret vs. Owen at WMX was the first match to plant the idea in my head that pro wrestling could be something resembling an art form. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Vader's ring name doesn't come from Star Wars, actually. It was the name of some legendary samurai and Inoki gave it to him in New Japan. Vader said this in an interview, although I don't have a link.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

Did anyone here ever eat at WWE New York? And was it as bad as I imagine?

Chicken fingers were pretty good IIRC.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

What is the general consensus of Backlash 2000? I loved that main event and wonder if I'm the only one who has that opinion. It kind of sucks HHH got the belt back at Judgment Day, but whatever. It may just be nostalgia, as I had just gotten into WWF/E in December of 99 and really liked the Rock, so seeing the Rock with the title for the first time was really cool for a 12 year old me.

It was considered one of the WWF's best shows ever when it aired. Not sure how it would hold up now. I watched the Scotty/Malenko finish recently and it is still sickening.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Just a reminder to people that the OP does have several links to sources of information, including star ratings, the sleazy stories link and witty/funny quotes regarding WCW from (or at least credited to) the Observer.

Star ratings link is dead.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Talking about "swerves" in the WWE thread makes me wonder... what was the best swerve you can think of? One where you were honestly surprised, and it helped the story?

I can think of a double whammy, a great swerve and a nonsensical one. Wasn't it the same night that ECW surprisingly reformed during the Invasion, that Stephanie McMahon was revealed as the new ECW owner?

First part was amazing, second completely killed it for me.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

All this XFL talk reminds me of one of my favorite Onion articles.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

There's an asian woman that I've seen at all the NY Chikara shows that I've been to. Who is she? I'm kinda of lead to believe that she has some ties to Chikara instead of just being a random fan.

Similarly, I've always wondered about the old lady in the front row of nearly every early 90s CMLL show. I assume she's now deceased as she'd surely be well over 100 today.

EDIT: This site mentions a similar old lady being there as recently as 2007.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 3, 2012

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Perdido posted:

I had completely forgotten about this match and also think that the statement that people tend to forget about a lot of his bigger matches rings true.

I still find him to be a boring worker, although I know he isn't a bad worker, if that makes sense.

To me, his matches are like his promos: heavy-handed essays that are usually a chore to sit through. He's had some great ones, sure. Did he add that much to them? I watched the cage match with Flair recently and it was awesome, but almost everything I liked about it came from Flair. Even a 50-year-old Tenryu seems a better choice for best in the world during Trips' peak.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Bearnt! posted:

Has anyone ever won a 2/3 falls match 2-0?

If we're including lucha, this match went two falls and is arguably the best match of 2012 so far.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

I'm having a hard time trying to think of someone his age who was as good a worker and as good a promo.

Christian was a better worker and probably a better promo, but I guess he was in TNA when Edge got his big push.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the Necro vs. Vader match that happened on the 14th?

Sounds like it was decent but short.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

93-96 was probably the absolute peak.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I think WWE is at a higher level of PG for a while now, not quite PG 13 though, even then they get close to blurring that line.

If Cena/Lesnar was in a movie it would probably get an R rating.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

So what's a Ryback? Like, what does that name even mean? I don't get it.

It's just a cook.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Austin was really pissed about that and being stuck on the undercard in a match against Scott Hall.

On the other hand, it led to the greatest Stunner of all time.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Scott Keith once said that Angle carried Rey Mysterio to a good match. I think he even said Edge carried Undertaker at Mania 24.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I don't think Taker was ever billed as being that tall. He and Kane are both around 6'8" in reality. Big Show might have been 7'1" at his peak but he's no more than 7' now, which is how he's billed.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Big Show has talked about doing the moonsault in interviews.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

This is my favorite ECW match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sGSPnUy1Sw

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Maybe, but there are plenty of matches I've enjoyed more on the second or third viewing.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

My, this is some stupid poo poo. Ross spent most of late 90s - early 00s talking about what a great athlete Billy Gunn was.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Remember when he was called Billy G? Doing that and not giving him a Kenny G gimmick may be the biggest missed opportunity of all time.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

What's a good example of a strong style match?

Please watch this match. You're welcome.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The simplest way to put it would be:

Strong Style = NJ heavies
King's Road = AJ heavies

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

What frankensteiners/hurricanranas are you seeing?

Maybe this one.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Apparently there was a false report earlier, but they made a deal in July after negotiating since Mania.

I guess Bryan has gotten too big to actually wrestle Finlay on Superstars like he did Regal, which is a shame. It could be an incredible match even now.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Come on, the guy was 7'7".

Pirata Morgan may have carried Vampiro to a decent match once. If anyone could do it, he could. Yes, they definitely had a match, and while Pirata is one of my favorite wrestlers, I've never actually watched that match, because Vampiro was in it.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 16, 2012

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

Not only did Triple H get a WWE title match at Wrestlemania that year anyway, his match went on last with crazy entrance theatrics, whereas Rey's match only got like nine minutes.

And he didn't even pin the champ to win.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Funk is probably the best wrestler that ever lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9W-io5xUJE

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The street fight is probably HHH's best match. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he did everything right in that one. Top five for Foley as well.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

beaverseatwood posted:

Octagon was probably the biggest star in Mexico in the 90s

What?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I know who he is. It doesn't say anywhere on the Wiki page that he was the biggest star of the nineties.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

As lovely as his revenge was (it wasn't until a month later, Superbrawl was yet another Hogan win) it felt so good to see Flair beat Hogan. I don't care if it took outside help in a barbed wire first blood cage match that Flair won by pinfall, it felt gooooooooooooood.

Don't forget he got the pinfall with a Figure Four. Flair literally pinned Hogan with a submission hold to win a first blood cage match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Other way around.