Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a consensus on how to clean the low pass filter on DSLR cameras? I seem to be limited on what I can find on the internet related to my specific camera (sony a380). By that I mean, the rocket blower isn't doing poo poo, and I want to take a brush to it but I am fairly sure it has to be a specific kind of brush and I'm not sure that the one that came with the rocket blower fits the bill. I have taken numerous test photos with the camera to see what results I got from the rocket blower and I'm still seeing pretty pronounced particles.

Also, the camera has a cleaning function to shake the dust off, but I am not aware of any function allowing me to raise the mirror to get at the sensor's filter. Basically I have to hold the mirror up as it doesn't seem to lock in the up position, and holding the camera body downward while simultaneously holding the mirror up and blowing off the sensor filter is highly difficult.

I wouldn't be trying this myself if I had time to leave the camera with a specialty shop and have it professionally cleaned (they said the turnaround is 3-5 business days since there are a lot of people ahead of me in line). But I use this camera almost every day in my profession and can't afford to be without it long enough.

Am I okay to use the brush that came with the blower or am I basically hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
"Sony a380" and "professional" are two terms you don't often see together.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

HPL posted:

"Sony a380" and "professional" are two terms you don't often see together.

It's photographs of houses for real estate, and I do it exclusively. I mean I have no illusions about the camera, it's not the best out there by a long shot and I'm ready for a new one, but until that time I have to work with what I've got. I edit the photos so much that most of our clients who don't know anything about photography aren't sitting there wondering why I couldn't have used a better camera.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

life is killing me posted:

It's photographs of houses for real estate, and I do it exclusively. I mean I have no illusions about the camera, it's not the best out there by a long shot and I'm ready for a new one, but until that time I have to work with what I've got. I edit the photos so much that most of our clients who don't know anything about photography aren't sitting there wondering why I couldn't have used a better camera.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cbt-tut/shared/how-to-clean-alpha/DSLR-A380

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Is there a consensus on how to clean the low pass filter on DSLR cameras? I seem to be limited on what I can find on the internet related to my specific camera (sony a380). By that I mean, the rocket blower isn't doing poo poo, and I want to take a brush to it but I am fairly sure it has to be a specific kind of brush and I'm not sure that the one that came with the rocket blower fits the bill. I have taken numerous test photos with the camera to see what results I got from the rocket blower and I'm still seeing pretty pronounced particles.

Also, the camera has a cleaning function to shake the dust off, but I am not aware of any function allowing me to raise the mirror to get at the sensor's filter. Basically I have to hold the mirror up as it doesn't seem to lock in the up position, and holding the camera body downward while simultaneously holding the mirror up and blowing off the sensor filter is highly difficult.

I wouldn't be trying this myself if I had time to leave the camera with a specialty shop and have it professionally cleaned (they said the turnaround is 3-5 business days since there are a lot of people ahead of me in line). But I use this camera almost every day in my profession and can't afford to be without it long enough.

Am I okay to use the brush that came with the blower or am I basically hosed?

Rent a back up Sony, send dirty Sony to be cleaned?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Well anyways, like others have said, sensors are tougher than they seem. You're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. As long as you exercise due care, you should be all right. If you have a soft, clean brush and it's only dust you're going for, and you use very light strokes, you'll be all right. The worst is when you get greasy crap on the sensor because then you're in for a fight.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Should be noted also DON'T TOUCH THE WALLS AROUND THE SENSOR when you're cleaning it as they usually have some poo poo on them you don't want on your sensor.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

HPL posted:

Well anyways, like others have said, sensors are tougher than they seem. You're not actually cleaning the sensor, you're cleaning a piece of glass in front of the sensor. As long as you exercise due care, you should be all right. If you have a soft, clean brush and it's only dust you're going for, and you use very light strokes, you'll be all right. The worst is when you get greasy crap on the sensor because then you're in for a fight.

Sensor cleaning is serious business and is the sole reason I keep CPS every year. I can't stress enough that you can gently caress this up and ruin every photo you ever take in the future. You really should send it in to sony/nikon/canon.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the link, but I was looking at that website before and the blower isn't doing the job. The dust particles seem to be clinging a little more than the rocket blower can handle. The camera doesn't have a feature that I know of where you can keep the mirror flipped up to get at the sensor, so it's either take it in and rent a camera as one poster suggested, or do it myself.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, as I can edit out the spots (depending on the photo) but when I'm on a time constraint it's a pain in the rear end.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can duplicate your clonestamps in lightroom FYI.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Thanks for the link, but I was looking at that website before and the blower isn't doing the job. The dust particles seem to be clinging a little more than the rocket blower can handle. The camera doesn't have a feature that I know of where you can keep the mirror flipped up to get at the sensor, so it's either take it in and rent a camera as one poster suggested, or do it myself.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, as I can edit out the spots (depending on the photo) but when I'm on a time constraint it's a pain in the rear end.

REAd the whole thing again:

In order to reach the sensor, the mirror needs to be flipped up. Use your fingertip to gently press the mirror lock lever to make the mirror flip up.

There is even a picture that shows you a small switch you need to use to lock the mirror up.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Musket posted:

REAd the whole thing again:

In order to reach the sensor, the mirror needs to be flipped up. Use your fingertip to gently press the mirror lock lever to make the mirror flip up.

There is even a picture that shows you a small switch you need to use to lock the mirror up.

I know I've got to flip the mirror up, but it's nearly impossible to flip up the mirror to get to the sensor, hold the camera with the lens mount downward, and use the blower. This camera does not have a function to lock it up.

Not that it matters anyway, I'm probably going to take your suggestion and rent a camera while I have mine cleaned.

e: the article seems to be for just whatever camera, as it mentions the a380 nowhere. I haven't seen a lock lever

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Put mirror up, press lever, mirror is locked up.

RTFM, Page 33.

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 19, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I know I've got to flip the mirror up, but it's nearly impossible to flip up the mirror to get to the sensor, hold the camera with the lens mount downward, and use the blower. This camera does not have a function to lock it up.

Not that it matters anyway, I'm probably going to take your suggestion and rent a camera while I have mine cleaned.

e: the article seems to be for just whatever camera, as it mentions the a380 nowhere. I haven't seen a lock lever

https://docs.sony.com/release/dslra330.pdf
page 33

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Musket posted:

Put mirror up, press lever, mirror is locked up.

That lever is not there. IF there is a lever to lock the mirror up, it's not in that location. Maybe I'm just blind?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

the article seems to be for just whatever camera, as it mentions the a380 nowhere. I haven't seen a lock lever

Sony's actual DSLR's tend to just have a cleaning mode that does the mirror lock in software, charge it to at least 90% battery and hit cleaning mode, the mirror should lock up until you toggle power again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Sony's actual DSLR's tend to just have a cleaning mode that does the mirror lock in software, charge it to at least 90% battery and hit cleaning mode, the mirror should lock up until you toggle power again.

From what I understood that was just to vibrate dust off it, but I'll look further into it. I have been afraid to do that because I don't want to gently caress it up by doing something I'm not supposed to.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It vibrates the dust off, then it flips the mirror up so you can get bigger stuff and let the vibrated dust out.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

There's definitely a smudge on the sensor itself. I didn't see any dust. Not gonna continue trying to clean this myself.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

There's definitely a smudge on the sensor itself. I didn't see any dust. Not gonna continue trying to clean this myself.

Its very easy. But if you fear cleaning it, then yea send it off. I used to be scared of cleaning mine until I did it and it was easy. Also you can just take your time in LR5 with the dust tool and play a drinking game. Take a shot every time you have to clone/heal a dust spot.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Musket posted:

Its very easy. But if you fear cleaning it, then yea send it off. I used to be scared of cleaning mine until I did it and it was easy. Also you can just take your time in LR5 with the dust tool and play a drinking game. Take a shot every time you have to clone/heal a dust spot.

If I went past f/8 I would need my stomach pumped.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pootiebigwang posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel, however I really don't know what to do when I have class on Monday and my professor wants to see and have me talk about it. Do I tell her no and that the entire project was hosed to begin with or do I show them for the sake of my grade?

That's really hard. In your shoes I would probably pussy out and compromise by showing them but complaining loudly that the whole thing was ethically bankrupt all the while.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm watching random video tutorials and such and one guy was spraying flowers with a spray bottle to get that, "just after sunrise effect" and another guy kept dragging a piece of driftwood along the beach in a sunset over the ocean shot to get it nicely placed in the picture. What the gently caress? Why do people do this poo poo?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

huhu posted:

I'm watching random video tutorials and such and one guy was spraying flowers with a spray bottle to get that, "just after sunrise effect" and another guy kept dragging a piece of driftwood along the beach in a sunset over the ocean shot to get it nicely placed in the picture. What the gently caress? Why do people do this poo poo?

It's easier than moving the driftwood in post.

But seriously there's nothing wrong with finding a scene that's ALMOST exactly what you want it to look like, and loving with it until it is, at least not unless you're doing photojournalism (in that case, do it anyways but be real careful.)

If you think that's bad you should see people shooting film/TV outdoors... "yeah, that's exactly what we're looking for. that boulder's gotta go though, but make sure you mark where it was so you can put it back later or we'll get fined."

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

How do you deal with really bad fogging? I was shooting a wedding a couple weeks ago, and inside the reception the AC was cranked but outside it was hot and muggy. All day long people kept pulling me out of the reception to take group photos on the veranda. Every single time I knew exactly what was going to happen, but it's not like I'm going to be like "sorry grandpa Joe, you can't get photos with your nieces on the veranda, it's too loving muggy". All I could do is stand there with a microfiber cloth and a rocket blower looking like a douchebag going "hold on, just a minute". I considered just leaving a camera set up outside to deal with the issue, but that would be a really easy way to lose a camera. It's such a frustrating problem.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Wooten posted:

How do you deal with really bad fogging? I was shooting a wedding a couple weeks ago, and inside the reception the AC was cranked but outside it was hot and muggy. All day long people kept pulling me out of the reception to take group photos on the veranda. Every single time I knew exactly what was going to happen, but it's not like I'm going to be like "sorry grandpa Joe, you can't get photos with your nieces on the veranda, it's too loving muggy". All I could do is stand there with a microfiber cloth and a rocket blower looking like a douchebag going "hold on, just a minute". I considered just leaving a camera set up outside to deal with the issue, but that would be a really easy way to lose a camera. It's such a frustrating problem.

There really isn't a way around that besides having two cameras and getting one to the temp outside and leaving it in your bag in hopes that it doesn't cool down too much. I would have just told Grandpa Joe that we can't take pictures outside though, I wouldn't want to risk the integrity of the photos for the rest of the night. If the rear element of your lens fogs, it's going to be hosed for a while.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

huhu posted:

If you were painting a picture, you probably have a mental vision of the final product, and you're not going to include something that doesn't fit that vision. Similarly, when I go out and shoot, I already know the kinds of compositions and aesthetics that I'm trying to create. If that involves adding or removing something from a scene where I'm able to do so, then yeah, I'm going to do it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

huhu posted:

Unless it's editorial, I guess I don't see the issue with it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
As photographers we're just lazy painters anyways, go for it.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Mightaswell posted:

As photographers we're just lazy painters anyways, go for it.

new forum name please.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Need some help with a speedlite here. I'm at a wedding and got a 580ex2 from a friend but it won't work with my 550d. The flash is recognized and I can configure it through the menu, but when shooting the camera doesn't expose for the flash and shoots without it firing. The pilot led is red and it follows the zoom so I'm clueless as to what might be the missing piece.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I feel like the last few posts are an appropriate segway to posting this:

Which was the result after a "professional" cleaning, by a local company that shall remain nameless. Needless to say, I'm looking for other options now. The last time I cleaned a sensor myself, I left a smear of the cleaning fluid on it, and had to have it re-cleaned professionally. I'm more than a little hesitant to do it myself again.

Just out of curiousity, does this look like something that a wet cleaning would be able to take care of on its own?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Need some help with a speedlite here. I'm at a wedding and got a 580ex2 from a friend but it won't work with my 550d. The flash is recognized and I can configure it through the menu, but when shooting the camera doesn't expose for the flash and shoots without it firing. The pilot led is red and it follows the zoom so I'm clueless as to what might be the missing piece.

Just hit the mode button until it says M and mess with it until you're comfortable. If its not firing it might not be seated correctly on the hotshoe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there any way to get a flickr without having a Yahoo account? I don't object to Yahoo but I seem to be completely unable to sign up because the phone verification part is broken.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Is there any way to get a flickr without having a Yahoo account? I don't object to Yahoo but I seem to be completely unable to sign up because the phone verification part is broken.

nope

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Y'all a bunch of pussies when it comes to dust.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right. Are there any decent alternatives to flickr that do the same thing?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

500px

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Right. Are there any decent alternatives to flickr that do the same thing?

I like 500px a lot. Easier to find great photos for inspiration and the spam "CONGRATS PLEASE LIKE MY PHOTOS" doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
The alternative to Flickr is to glue your fp100c prints to the bathroom wall at your favorite bar.