Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Rick posted:

Hello, I'm a beginner. I have a Nikon d60 I got from my mom. I had a pretty good time loving with my settings to take pictures of the super moon a couple months ago, and then fireworks. However, I've had trouble getting my manual settings back to a point where my daytime pictures don't look like poo poo. I've tried to restore the ISO, shutter speed and white balance but everything looks kind of overexposed still.

I know this is pretty stupid, but I don't want to use the auto settings since I don't really learn anything like that.

Mr. Despair posted:

Find a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure and read it so that you understand what the light meter on your camera is trying to tell you.

I have a similar question. I recently inherited a Leica M9 from my uncle, and I really haven't even touched a camera that isn't a cellphone or a point and shoot. I'd like to get into "street photography" partly because I've always loved looking at that type of photography and partly in memory of my uncle. But I really haven't the foggiest where to start. I'm currently reading the tutorials on photo.net, are there any other (free or paid) resources I can look into, particularly about how to use this monstrosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Did the M come with a lens, and do you know how to focus a rangefinder?

3 lenses and a flash, and no, not really, I understand that it has something to do with turning the focusing ring until the image in the small square of the rangefinder lines up with the rest of the image?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

ExecuDork posted:

I'll be entering some photos from last summer into a photo contest at the conference I'm going to in April (European Geophysical Union, Vienna, April 27-May 2, anybody else going?). They describe the judging criteria on the contest website:

I think the last part, about the metadata including the "appropriate title" is interesting in the context of this discussion about cheesiness. Also, does anybody know what they mean by "golden cuts"?

Probably the intersecting lines on rule of thirds or that golden ratio spiral thing? I have that being described as "golden sections".

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Mine has auto, macro, auto with some settings you can change (looks like a camera with a P next to it), A, S and M. And then on top of that a scene mode that you can then digitally choose between various scene settings. But it's old and (apparently) weird, so who knows!

P is for program
A is for Aperture Priority
S is for Shutter Priority
M is for Manual

That's my guess anyway. Your camera is old and weird.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

So I'm having a bit of a problem with purple fringing on the M9 I inherited from my uncle. I looked it up online and it seems like it's not an unheard of problem, but no one seemed to agree whether it's a sensor issue or a lens issue.

Examples:

Lots of it on the top left

Around the tree trunks

It's pretty easy issue to fix up in lightroom, but I'd like to know why it's happening in the first place. Camera broked? Lens funny? User is an idiot?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

For these ones it's the Summilux 35mm/1.4 ASPH. I've also noticed a bit of it on the 90nm/2 Summicron but it's not quite as bad though I don't use it as much as the 35.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But we're all agreed Instagram can die in a fire right?

I think somewhere between what Kenny Loggins and Jeffers were saying is the idea that using a sepia filter because it complements the mood of an already competently composed shot is valid use, but using it on a badly framed picture of your coffee to 'save' a lovely snap or "because FILTERZ :byodood:" is really not the way to be going about things.

The Instagram filters are pretty garbage but I think as a service it's great. Just have to follow the right people, if you don't want to see your friends' pictures of food don't follow them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

DILLIGAF posted:

Ok, I'll bite. And no, I am not being sarcastic here.

Why are any of those interesting enough to take a photo? What am I missing?

While I don't personally enjoy it, I think I can understand the motivation behind the first. What I notice is the contrast between the vent stripe vs. no vent stripe; grey top wall vs. white top wall; door vs. no door, etc. I'm no art student but that's my layman's view of it.

The second I do like in it's simplicity. The arrow says, "hey, look over there" and there is in fact something to look at there. I can't quite explain why it appeals to me but it does.

The third is a dumpster.

All of them have that je ne sais quoi that film and particularly instant film adds. Something about it is just inherently appealing for no explicable reason.

Everyone has different tastes in media, and certainly even within the small sample of DR posters you're bound to see things that you like and dislike.

While you could say dukeku and whitezombi do similar work because they both do a lot of work in (instant) film and have somewhat similar subjects, even as a layman I can see the differences in style and thus I don't think DR suffers from the homogeneity problem at all.

But really, the solution to all arguments that may arise in DR is this:

grack posted:

You're right. Catte pictures forever

I'm also drunk.

edit: for shameful french :canada:

Geektox fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 4, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

dashKADE posted:

Alright, I've had a Lumix GH3 for a few months and things have been going great. However, I noticed my photos were suddenly ending up very blurry if I wasn't using my tripod. Looking through my settings, the Stabilization has been turned off and it won't allow me to turn it back on. I tried to Google a fix but I can't quite find any. I feel it's some simple as dirt thing that I'm just not thinking of. Any ideas?

Point me in the direction of a better place to ask if there is one, most of the links I tried in the OP were dead.

Also, what kind of photos are you taking? Unless you're in low-light, your pictures shouldn't be turning out blurry. Do you understand how shutter speed, aperture etc. works?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

red19fire posted:

With new lithium batteries, are you supposed to cycle them a few times to get them to reach their full power/potential? Some say they have to be deliberately drained and recharged a few times, others say they're fine out of the box and with normal use will 'mature'.

No, don't do this. That was only a thing in lovely NiCad and NiMH batteries. Lithium cells just have a potential lifespan of a certain number of full cycles, meaning doing this would only serve to kill your battery quicker.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Nope. Ask yourself this; can I buy a ticket? Then it's a public event.

Do I have to be invited? It's a private event.

As for the land. Just because it is inside a building doesn't mean photography is verboten. Most places that host cons are public. Convention centers, hotels and such.

So unless it specifically says "PRIVATE EVENT" you are allowed to picture areas that are accessible to the general public that are admitted to the event.

Now when the regular CON photographer tries to get you to "Oh there is this place that'll give you great pictures, oh it's back here." Refuse.

Are you serious? By what logic are convention centres and hotels public property?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Are there cameras in the convention hall? Does the convention hall own said camera? What right do you have to rent the space from them and then limit them, without prior consent? Even then, How is "entity here" able to assuage it's security concerns, without a basic tool, on its own property?

Because the terms you agreed to when you buy a ticket isn't the same thing as the rental contract between the venue and the event-holder? How are those two things even remotely comparable?

VendaGoat posted:

If they don't want a photographer, they can tell me to get lost. Same as an individual who doesn't give me permission.

Hey, that's exactly what this means:

torgeaux posted:

Conventions and the like that limit entry via tickets can impose and do impose restrictions that can legally limit photography.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

feigning interest posted:

You live in canada so you should have access to actual glaciers

Yeah just stick your usb drive in the wall of your summer igloo

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

So I'm going to NYC tomorrow, other than B&H, what are some cool camera stores? Mostly looking for used stuff.

I'm also thinking about bringing a film camera, but checking film seems like such a pain in the rear end, and me being such a photoscrublord I don't know if it will be worth it. Maybe I'll bring the XA2 with no film and just get some there?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

8th-snype posted:

...the cellphone thread is like instagram except slightly more annoying...

sorry

Dorkopotamis posted:

This isn't strictly a photo/video question, but I was looking for condenser mics in the price range of 200-300 dollars for some dubbing work. Strictly for spoken word recording. Any recommendations?

USB or XLR input? The podcasting thread in that podcasting forum or the musician's lounge might have good advice.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 12, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

8th-snype posted:

Oh no, your instagram is good and cool.

Hey thanks, I appreciate that. It was in my Canadian nature to apologize.

On a different topic, I'm going to Disney World in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering how much gear to bring and how best to carry it. I'm interested in getting photos of the parades and fireworks and pictures of my little brother with the costumed people, so I was thinking I'd have the X-T1 with 2-3 primes and my RX100, if I'm going to do nighttime shots I'd have my small Benro tripod as well. Is that too much poo poo to carry on rides? I figure it could all fit in a small sling type bag.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 12, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Alright, the question sounded pretty stupid even as I was typing it, thanks for the wakeup call. I'll just stuff the RX100 in my jorts and I'll be good to go.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

How does film handle x-ray scanners?

Unexposed low ISO film is generally fine, but you can ask the TSA to hand check the film instead of going through a scanner.

Spedman posted:

Olympus XA or Stylus Epic and Portra 400 :colbert:

That's actually not a bad idea, but I can't find any local stores with Portra in stock. Wonder if there's any photo shops down in Florida. Alternatively, any places in :canada: with Portra and relatively fast delivery?

That's good advice. I'll also have a rental car so if by the end of the night I'm not too tuckered out I could also leave my night-time stuff in the trunk and grab it.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 13, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

art is also never made in square crops, noob

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Also the Dutchier the angle, the better.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Depends on how much processing you usually do I guess? I mean theoretically yeah it's all just stuff you could do your own, but one click vs. 20 over the course of my photography career or whenever it stops being supported is worth the money for me even if it's just as a starting point. But if you prefer "the SOOC look" or whatever then maybe you should reconsider.

I will say though that I personally don't like their BW presets much but I also don't really have experience with what those films are supposed to look like.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It genuinely can't be that much more complicated than that. The software that can deal with 24, 36mp etc source images and gives you a drop down of various formats to export to already has the routines there, they just didn't implement it for whatever reason. Other than 'Adobe', of course.

Part of the programmer's job is to make the jumbled hodgepodge of code that's behind a piece of software to seem easy and intuitive to the user. Working with other people's libraries and codecs and whatnot make poo poo even harder. Whenever you think "oh, it can't be that hard" it 100% is very hard.

Pivo posted:

I didn't take the photo, someone else did. She's 5000km away at the moment. She sent me a composite and I was like "that's not that good, I could probably do better" so she emailed me the files. Like "lol ok do better then"

I did OK but no, there's no way to light her from behind which is clearly where the sun (suns) are. All I could do was darken her and do a nice crop.

I'm not an artist. I write software. I think I did OK, I guess, maybe, probably not.

Darkening it uniformly made it much worse I think. Now she's neither as bright as the lit areas nor as dark as the dark ones and that makes her look even more out of place. Fixing it would require some crazy amount of retouching. If you can't retake the picture maybe find a different background?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Grandmaster.flv posted:

The only problem is the flash is stuck open. Is that an expensive fix? I've just been holding it down and it throws the zap (?). Is that acceptable?

Google the manual, it's probably available online in PDF form. See if you can just disable the flash via a button even if the flash is up. Otherwise, the repair, depending on what is wrong with it, might not be worth it considering how old the d40 is.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thinking it might be time to get a flash unit for my ME Super because indoors in the evening it's hard to get an acceptable exposure. Any recommendations for something relatively inexpensive, preferably that would also be useful on my K50 too? I don't know jack or poo poo about flashes.

There's a lighting thread but for something cheap and manual can't really go wrong with whatever the newest model of Yongnuo is these days, or go and pick up like an old Vivitar at a thrift shop or something.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Doesn't goon David Pratt live in Iceland somewhere? I'm sure he'll know of good photo stores.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Ultrawides are typically used in landscapes where you wouldn't need a fast shutter anyway so the smaller aperture isn't an issue, plus in an ultrawide the DOF is huge you're never gonna get much ~bokeh~ out of them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Depends on how heavy your camera is. I have their DSLR model which I use for my RX-100 and my film stuff and it's never quite as sturdy as a real tripod but it works well for spontaneous walkabout type of situations. I also wouldn't trust anything heavy to it.

Just get a good tripod first if you don't have one. Gorillapods are more of a gimmicky thing.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Landscapes can be indoors :ssh:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Haggins posted:

I guess I'm thinking more of reviewers. I agree critique is important.

On a side note, I wish PAD was as popular as it used to be. I learned a lot giving and receiving critique there.

My problem with PAD is that because it's a bunch of beginners critiquing beginners, it's real easy to get into the circlejerky self-congratulatory bullshit that we hate on places like flickr for. A lot of the critique is just a lot of words wasted saying nothing substantial about an average to middling photo when the shooter's and the critic's time would be better spent looking at better photos and learning from them instead of trying to find the few good elements of a bad photo.

Sometimes somebody more experienced will wander in and say something along the lines of "this sucks" in exactly so many words and people get all huffy and throws out the "if your critique of ~my art~ isn't an essay you just don't get it." But in reality because there's so little to say is part of the reason why it sucks. If you can't lurk a little and find out for yourself what's good and what's bad then any critique you give or get is totally pointless.

That's not to say all the photos posted to PAD is bad or that those offering critique isn't doing it with the best intentions, but I really don't find it useful as a venue for improvement personally.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Just don't make the mistake I did and follow way too many at once because hell, it's way more work to unfollow than to follow.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Do you guys actually use the "social" bits of tumblr with hashtags and whatnot? I'd like to get more ~exposure~ for some of the stuff I'm actually proud of but never really got into it before.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

quote:

By entering the Contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to the VIPF, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: Display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; publication in the 2015 VIPF Event Programme Guide or online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest. Entrants consent to the Host doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant's "moral rights" in their entries.

Is this pretty standard terms for a photo contest?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Echoing what everyone said, unfortunately no sensor can capture a huge variation in lighting. The only way to counteract is not to take pictures in the middle of the day when it's brightest and directly overhead.

Rodney Chops posted:

I cranked the hell out of vibrancy slider in lightroom

Also never do this, it makes the photo look like rear end 100% of the time.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

I have one of these and I like it a lot

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

The OP doesn't say anything about filters and why wouldn't he need all those filters? You're probably thinking of the gear thread's OP which says you don't need UV filters. The ones InternetJunky wants are specialized filters with a specific purpose.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

How about this for a lens?

https://jet.com/product/detail/f5ff77b2e5d6458a9836ff08e651b7de

This seems like a horrible idea, but I'm tempted to try it just to see how terrible it could be

I have that exact lens, only it's black and branded Vivitar. Mine didn't come with a teleconverter though. I can't actually tell from the description whether it comes with a T-mount->EF mount adapter, but my just came with a ring that changed the threaded bit at the end to a t-mount, so I had to use a t-mount -> k-mount adapter then adapted the k-mount to x-mount.

Here's the only photo I have ever actually taken using this lens.

DSCF4883.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

I was researching what it would take to attach a telescope to my camera, since I thought it would be fun to get some space pictures while I'm out camping.

Has anyone here tried any astronomy pictures with their camera and a telescope, and has some recommendations on what equipment to buy?

We used to have a astrophotography somewhere either here or elsewhere in CC, but I think the gist of it is, you get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Adapter-Barlow-Universal-T-Ring/dp/B00009X3UV

Which goes in the eyepiece hole, get a T-mount ring for whatever camera mount you have, attach camera and go nutz.

Mr. Despair would probably know more about this stuff than anyone.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

PFlats posted:

I got some for my wife for an anniversary present. They're pretty slick in design but all of mine had a serious yellow cast to them. Which isn't nice when you've got white wedding dress as the focal point. I called them up, they refunded me in full and told me to keep them. So we put them on the wall on in our stairwell where the light sucks and you can't really tell that the colors are hosed.

They said they were updating their machines and that it might be better in the future, so maybe I'll try again somewhere down the line. We do get compliments on them; they look cool.

Unrelated:

I finally got a dslr for christmas after all these years, and immediately hooked up my non-AF lenses to it. Uh, I suck at manually focusing without a split ring. Any advice?

Depending on the DSLR, use live view or focus peaking, maybe? Or learn hyperfocals?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've not watched that particular vid, but I'll always give Peterson the benefit just because he's the author of the single most recommended book I've seen. His videos are usually fine but a bit brief.

He's technically competent and able to relay that competency effectively, but his photography is pretty meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

"actually the best" is pretty debatable, 500px definitely has an aesthetic that tends to be popular and maybe less prone to maxgor style gaming the system