Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How feasible is taking a panorama handheld? I have a tripod, but it's pretty terrible at keeping a consistent horizontal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

While on the subject, I imagine it's better to shoot panaromas from a longer focal length to minimize barrel distortion?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I just opened my Flickr page in Internet Explorer, something I pretty much never do and all my colours are shifted to look like barf. Is this a problem with IE or have I been doing something very wrong when saving images in Photoshop?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

She looks terrified.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How so? I've been chased off of plenty of places for taking photos (private property) and I see no reason why they couldn't detain me if I didn't comply. It's trespassing if they ask you to leave and you refuse.

He said detained. I assume that means being held against your will.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're in a rut, then you need to change what you're doing or at the very least how you're approaching doing it. Find someone whose work inspires you (it doesn't even have to be a photographer), try to emulate what you enjoy about their work and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

If you're downtown, try taking walks with your camera around sunrise or sunset. If you have a car, take a drive. Drive anywhere, drive somewhere you haven't been before. Try to imagine what the things you find would look like at different hours of the day and come back later if the light isn't good. Take some self-portraits, play with lighting. Step outside your comfort zone.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 5, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

wolves in the dorkroom

Try playing with the curves for the individual RGB channels. Kill most of the blue, yellow highlights, red shadows and not too much of any midtones.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think drinking is probably the best advice you usually don't hear going into street photography, or at least for someone like myself who is pretty shy. By virtue of doing street photography, you're in an urban area, so walk 50 feet to the nearest bar and have a couple drinks and then get to work.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Maybe? Sometimes Flickr fucks up your uploads and doesn't convert the image to certain sizes. Try reuploading it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HookShot posted:

So after getting into a photography rut and kicking myself out of it by shooting three rolls on my Nishika, I've decided I want a film camera because I like it for snapshots.

Obviously I'm considering getting a Pentax ME or ME Super, but are there any other cameras in the <$100 price range that I should be looking at? Bonus points if it's easy to get lenses for them.

I can't recommend the Nikon FM2 enough. It's light, gives you full manual control, it'll fire without a battery and meters up to 6400. Old Nikon AI lenses are built like tanks and joy to use. They'll work on newer DSLRs as well. That said, you can't really go wrong with most semi pro or pro 70's era SLRs. Just make sure you get something with a split prism viewfinder if you go down the SLR route.

There are also a lot of fantastically built rangefinders from the late 60s that will give you a bit of a different experience from shooting a DSLR that you might be looking for. I usually look for deals first and then research the camera to see if it's something I want. It's very possible to get a fantastic film body for under $30.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Try to keep the breath backlit. That's about it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with entering your max bid and walking away. Sniping has been absolutely unnecessary since what, 2001? Move into the future and be patient instead of letting the anxiety of someone being willing to pay 25¢ more than you winning rule your life

I do this but with 2 seconds left. I know what I'm willing to pay, but bidding early only drives the price/demand up. At least if I wait to enter my maximum bid, I likely won't pay more than I had to. Apart from having to remember when the auction ends, it's win-win. Also, a lot of people will avoid first time sellers, but if you direct message them with some questions about the item or shipping, you can feel them out pretty well and usually end up with a good deal. There's no reason to pay market price for used gear. At least if you don't like what you bought, you'll break even when you go to sell it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Comrade Red posted:

Couldn't tell which thread I should ask this in, but I've been looking into getting into 35mm photography. A friend recommended to start with a Minolta SRT-101, is this a good starting out camera, only experience I have with with your regular cheaper point and click type stuff. Eventually I would like to get a Contax II, anyone know if the two of these have a similar feel to them?

Nikon FM2 is probably the best bang for your buck fully manual SLR. It's small, well built, has a mechanical shutter, an easy to read light meter, meters up to ISO 6400, shutter speeds up to 1/4000s, split-focus prism, plus you get a huge library of lenses to choose from. That said, most 70s/80s SLRs you can get for cheap will treat you just fine.

Rangefinders of note:
Olympus 35RC
Olympus 35SP
Yashica Lynx 14E

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, but maybe go buy some offline books instead.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ahahahahaha

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

no way, do the thing where you sell everything and enjoy your daydreams instead :angel:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

I have ideas, I just feel my eye for a potentially good shot is a lot better than my ability to take it.

I've got dreams. Big Dreams.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Buy a shitload of gas and start driving alone. Photoclubs can suck a fat dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Being in an unfamiliar place, regardless of how prosaic or banal, can be one of the most creatively rewarding states in photography. Especially if you're a little drunk.