Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not targeting people on freep. The presence of freep as a feedback and reinforcement mechanism puts people in its orbit out of reach for conventional persuasion. I'm targeting those more amenable to persuasive methods. That said, as Wanamingo indicates, the goals and methods involved with changing beliefs and ideology are different from the ones people are asserting against me. Tone arguments are invalid only when that disconnect, or miscommunication, about goals persists.

Oh my god. Vox? Shut up.
Shut the gently caress up. Shut the gently caress up because you are literally implying that we'd already have our rights if only we were loving pretending to be straight.
I don't give a gently caress what any bigot says about me. They can be as bigoted as they loving want, but the instant they harm me, or try and stop me from being who I am, I'm going to fight for my rights. If people in this day and age refuse to get unbigoted, then gently caress them. We don't care what they say. We care what we do, and we care how we feel, not how a bunch of bass-ackwards bigots in the middle of rural kentucky or alabama or texas feel. gently caress them. They do not matter. We do not care what they think. They are going to die out in a generation or two, and that will be the end of it.

But you sir are legitimizing and enabling their hateful screed by saying 'You know guys, maybe the truth is in the middle, maybe you could tone down that gayness thing just a bit'.

I like you Vox. I do. I think you're at the very least trying to keep things from becoming an explosive cluster gently caress on this board at times. So believe me when I tell you that this is one time you need to stop, say you're sorry for implying that we should *EVER* try and appease bigots that hate the fact that we ever loving existed, and shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not targeting people on freep. The presence of freep as a feedback and reinforcement mechanism puts people in its orbit out of reach for conventional persuasion. I'm targeting those more amenable to persuasive methods. That said, as Wanamingo indicates, the goals and methods involved with changing beliefs and ideology are different from the ones people are asserting against me. Tone arguments are invalid only when that disconnect, or miscommunication, about goals persists.

I'm still waiting for concrete historical examples of your strategy of playing to bigotry and blaming the victims ever working.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You would think that people who are terrified of being hit on by someone of the same gender would want clearly defined cultural signifiers to let everyone know their orientation.

Hell, you'd think most people would want that. It makes life so much easier.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else getting anything from the old guy who shot the two robbers in CA? I'm amazed I haven't seen the gun nuts come out in full force yet, but then again, it is Friday.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

That's what I've been getting from this. That regardless of how justified our cultural expression in an ideal world may be, in some circumstances it can reinforce homophobic thoughts.

That's a fairly uncontroversial statement and I think is all Vox is really saying. Mind you, I utterly disagree with catering to bigots by amending our behaviour - it's our culture and we deserve the right to practice our expressions of it. But regardless of how much I disagree with it, it's a rather more reasonable (if still completely unworkable both morally and practically) argument than a lot of you are making out.

Well so what? Even if it's completely right, it's a morally reprehensible option that shouldn't even be on the table.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wanamingo posted:

Well so what? Even if it's completely right, it's a morally reprehensible option that shouldn't even be on the table.

I know? That's exactly what I said. It's a completely immoral option that I will have no part of. I like my pride parades and dykes on bikes, thank you very much :colbert:.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

botany posted:

I'm still waiting for concrete historical examples of your strategy of playing to bigotry and blaming the victims ever working.

I'm waiting for him to tell me in what setting it is appropriate to expect someone, especially an oppressed minority, to cater to the whims and sensibilities of bigots.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

I know? That's exactly what I said. It's a completely immoral option that I will have no part of. I like my pride parades and dykes on bikes, thank you very much :colbert:.

Oh, alright then. I thought you were looking for an answer about why we're dogpiling on Vox, but I jumped the gun there. Sorry about that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else getting anything from the old guy who shot the two robbers in CA? I'm amazed I haven't seen the gun nuts come out in full force yet, but then again, it is Friday.

Wasn't one of the robbers pregnant?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
See, I think gay marriage would have happened years earlier if instead of restricting leather daddies making out with each other to gay pride parades, they had started doing it in front of churches on Sunday mornings.

"Give us gay marriage and we'll be too busy at weddings to bother anymore."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Radish posted:

Wasn't one of the robbers pregnant?

And she said so and he killed her anyway. Coldly, and without remorse.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Iron Rose posted:

And she said so and he killed her anyway. Coldly, and without remorse.

After not only chasing her off of his property but also after already hitting her once, causing her to collapse on the ground. Regardless of whether she was pregnant she was no longer a threat, if she ever was.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Guy was ancient, had broken bones from the attempted robbery, and was weird in the head.
It's a thoroughly hosed-up situation. :smith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Guy was ancient, had broken bones from the attempted robbery, and was weird in the head.
It's a thoroughly hosed-up situation. :smith:

One news report said he was beaten to the point the robbers thought he was dead or unconscious. It was the third robbery on his house.

Here's what I don't get: say he hadn't shot the second time and the lady survived. She could sue him for shooting her, or any kind of trauma if she had miscarried? There's so much poo poo flung around when it comes to 'I was robbed and when I shot the robber he survived and sued me and I owe him millions!' STDH stories.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowslips Warren posted:

One news report said he was beaten to the point the robbers thought he was dead or unconscious. It was the third robbery on his house.

Here's what I don't get: say he hadn't shot the second time and the lady survived. She could sue him for shooting her, or any kind of trauma if she had miscarried? There's so much poo poo flung around when it comes to 'I was robbed and when I shot the robber he survived and sued me and I owe him millions!' STDH stories.

Well he was white and she was black soooooooooo...

:smith:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Who What Now posted:

Well he was white and she was black soooooooooo...

:smith:

Not that it should matter (though I realize it often does), but she wasn't. She was white.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/man-80-killed-pregnant-burglar-face-charges-cops-article-1.1879554

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I had heard wrong then. Or this is another case of an old man shooting a pregnant woman. Probably the former.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
There were enough complicating factors here that this one falls more under "awful, tragic mess" than "infuriating miscarriage of justice."

How depressing that these kind of incidents are common enough that I've begun to categorize them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

seiferguy posted:

Let's stop arguing with Vox, I just saw the most Ayn Randsian link on why you shouldn't teach your kids to share from an ex-girlfriend:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/365/This-Mom-Perfectly-Explains-Why-She-Does-Not-Teach-Her-Kids-To-Share#ApkVWCZuH03FyoVz.01

The premise is flawed because the author saw an older kid demand to use a toy from a kid he didn't know.

Choice quotes:
Her premise is flawed because "gently caress YOU, I WAS HERE FIRST!" is not acceptable behavior from children OR adults. She's the dickhead on the bus who refuses to give up her seat for a little old lady with a cane and 2 bags of groceries.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fionnoula posted:

She's the dickhead on the bus who refuses to give up her seat for a little old lady with a cane and 2 bags of groceries.

She's the one that when there's only one line open at the grocery store and you've got a dozen eggs and exact change, she rushes to cut you off with her cart that's filled to the brim with clothes and assorted cat food.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think that's her opinion. I think she's speaking for people who hold that belief as an example as to why labels are bad.

It's a good message, about how labels are just creating little boxes instead of acknowledging a spectrum of millions of possibilities in gender/sexuality, but really awkwardly conveyed and ignoring a lot of context that we need those labels the way society is at this point.

So I asked her what she was talking about and she replied:

quote:

I took labels that people need to fit others into neat little packages and got pissed about them. We have LGBT rights, womens right, etc. while I wish we could just stick with human rights. I'm about equality regardless of gender, ethnicity, and orientation. We are all people. I try to ignore the ignorant, bigoted(bigotted?), prejudice things people say because it's usually not me that is their problem. Think what you will of my post, but I would rather you adjust your perspective to seeing this post from a label rejection point of view. And also, people in general suck. I like animals better.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oddly enough, someone posted the article in a goon facebook group a few days back and I got dog piled on for not saying the old man was hero for chasing down and executing a begging pregnant woman in an alley.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The discussion with DV might be the worst thing that ever happened in this thread. There's been so many terrible opinions posted, but it's somehow worse when someone is completely self-aware, doesn't think they're being hateful and just doesn't get how hosed up their opinions are. The idiots on Facebook people post about who say they were just joking or delete people's comments or unfriend posters in this thread, or the awful people who respond to criticism of their forwards who say they just 'thought that was interesting' they lack a degree of a self-awareness that DV seems to have. Dude is just living in a version of non-reality that is very depressing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My first post in this thread was 1735 days ago. Please don't think I'm threadshitting. I was honestly disturbed by the derail.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I should be enjoying myself now. I'm with friends, at a LAN competition. And yet here I am, putting myself through pain, for you people.

...no, thats a lie. I don't do it for you. I do it for me. On some level, I know I deserve it.

This week in LL101!

More death threats than any other president in American history? Whatever, ypou thin skinned baby.

Yes, I remember when all those kids in Sandy Hook were shot with an abortion.

Bill is a greedy rear end in a top hat who won't help anyone. He is te conservative hero here.

"So Burger King named a burger after a sex act?"

"What?!? No, you goddamn moron. What kind of braindead idiot would think that?"

Oops I forgot to make a point or tell a joke.

Oh, what'd you know, Here's an easy resource on Polish asylumn laws

Typical white person. He'l get out of bed but won't leave the sheets.

...what the actual gently caress?

They're seriously gonna try this poo poo?

Why won't you listen to these things that all coincidentally happened more than 50 years ago?

Cuba - as dangerous as Honduras, according to Republicans.

But Israel warned the civilians they were going to massacre them. What more could Israel do, NOT massacre the women and children?

And if that person had been incapable of living outside of their mothers womb, they would have a case. And one of the loving weirdest robberies ever.

They're not even trying to justify it as preventing fraud anymore, now its "Denying Minorities voting rights builds their character".

Racist shithead fired for being a racist shithead - oh, I mean for TELLIN' IT LIKE IT IS!

...I can't even begin to grasp this.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

They're seriously gonna try this poo poo?

How does someone even come to this conclusion? Are you somehow joined at the hip to your corporation? The individual is a person, a brick and mortar building or a coded website is not a person. How is that hard to grasp?

quote:

Cuba - as dangerous as Honduras, according to Republicans.

...Did they literally just admit that they are fine with Cubans because they vote republican?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Reverse racism doesn't exist because it's just racism...

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

I should be enjoying myself now. I'm with friends, at a LAN competition. And yet here I am, putting myself through pain, for you people.

...no, thats a lie. I don't do it for you. I do it for me. On some level, I know I deserve it.

This week in LL101!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-microagressions-you-hear-on-a-daily-basis

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Breadallelogram posted:

Reverse racism doesn't exist because it's just racism...

Racism against whites does exist in a systemic and institutionalized form, which means that for practical purposes it doesn't exist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Uh, well done.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Racism against whites does exist in a systemic and institutionalized form, which means that for practical purposes it doesn't exist.

You mean does not exist, I hope?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

darthbob88 posted:

You mean does not exist, I hope?

Yes. :downs:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

gatesealer posted:

How does someone even come to this conclusion? Are you somehow joined at the hip to your corporation? The individual is a person, a brick and mortar building or a coded website is not a person. How is that hard to grasp?
They don't know what a corporation actually is. As in, they're not aware that corporations exist to legally separate the owner from the business, so if your business goes tits up, you don't lose everything. You, the business owner, are allowed to have whatever crazy beliefs you want. Your business, on the other hand, is not allowed to--say--discriminate. You, personally, are allowed to be a bigoted poo poo, but your business isn't...yet.

:laffo:

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, I remember when all those kids in Sandy Hook were shot with an abortion.

:colbert:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

lmao I'm sure she's thrilled about being used by a site that posts racist memes then complains about the racism white people face.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

gatesealer posted:

...Did they literally just admit that they are fine with Cubans because they vote republican?

No, that liberals hate Cubans because they vote Republican (Not actually true).

In the back of my head I was thinking "I feel like the picked an Asian woman because not having her be white proves their point somehow" but that's pretty amazing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gatesealer posted:

No see, the Cubans are okay because they make it to dry land. People from Central America don't set foot on American soil when they enter without documentation, they just swim into our huge border moat and tread water there until an Obamaboat pulls them up and gives them their SSN and free house.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Also Cubans are about to vote Democratic
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/08/3087889/poll-obama-got-big-share-of-cuban.html

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I'm pretty sure the LL101 guy is just cynically appealing to conservatives' lizard brains at this point, but if he were trying to make people think that conservatives are dumb on purpose he wouldn't have to change a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Cubans are ok because they're refugees escaping the horrors of socialized healthcare that has comparable outcomes to the US at 1/40th the cost. The Mexicans, on the other hand, are just leaving an easy carefree life of napping under sombreros, stealing american jobs in the process.