Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, that's why I was asking (google turned up nothing.)

EDIT:

I think I'm not doing to well on this one.

Your first mistake was moving away from the nuclear issue. Iran has never had the capacity to build a bomb, and refining uranium isn't the only reason they want nuclear power. Hell, it's probably not even the main reason. The MAIN reason they want nuclear power is to wean themselves off dependence on imported refined fuels--they have plenty of oil and gas in the country, but none of the refinery infrastructure, since all of that was destroyed back in the Iran-Iraq War. Lest we forget, that lasted for a full decade.

So Iran is EXTREMELY vulnerable to outside sanctions on gasoline and other such things, which is why they want nuclear power--they can supply that themselves for much less of a comparative cost. Now, of course, the reason they want it is to be no longer vulnerable to sanctions and thus able to act more freely in the Middle East, but one thing at a time.

EDIT: Also, geopolitically speaking, if Iran DID acquire a nuclear bomb they have A. no method to deliver it as far as the US, and B. Why would they want to? Iran isn't a terrorist organization writ large, they're a relatively well-functioning nation-state, albeit one which has had an extreme bent to it since the coup (but, again, we have no-one to blame for that but ourselves). Iran has no reason to want to bomb DC or Los Angeles like Ted Cruz wants you to be terrified of. They know as well as anyone that that would provoke retaliation in kind, and indeed in more than kind.

Tel Aviv is theoretically possible, but personally I doubt that even if it came down to war between the two Iran would fire the first nuclear shot. Iran is more sane than North Korea, who have been building nukes like crazy and have had no end of cheap excuses they could have used to use them. Given that Seoul isn't currently a radioactive crater...

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Well, my first and biggest problem is that his whole argument is centered around the traditional paranoia of "GOVERNMENT GONNA TAKE MY GUNS!" which implies they are literally going to go into your house and destroy your things, while you are held down by no less than three burly cops and forced to watch. No, fucker, that's not what I advocate at all. If you have a functioning M-60 machine gun I might call that excessive, but if you can secure a proper license for that thing and demonstrate to a regulatory body that you're not a lunatic who's going to set up position in a shopping mall and mow down a crowd of people, by all means, keep the thing. I might ask to come over and see it sometime, old guns are cool.

The concept is regulation, which is currently extremely lax in this country. As it stands, a dude can go into a gun shop, buy a gun, and use that gun to kill seventeen people at school or in a movie theater, and you know what'll have been done to check and cross-check that he wasn't going to do that? Virtually nothing. You know what's saying he can't have an MP5 or an AK-74 since the Assault Weapons Ban expired? Nothing--there's a federal law, but the number of states that don't adhere to that law is larger than the number of ones that do. In thirty-one out of fifty states there is no licensing requirement AT ALL to walk down the street with a pistol swinging at your hip like a cowboy. In more places than not, there is no effort made at all to make sure that people aren't going to buy weapons so they can then use those weapons to destroy an ex-significant other, or the teacher they don't like, or a crowd of completely random people for no reason whatsoever.

I consider THAT problematic. That's what I want in terms of gun legislation. I don't want to take your guns away. I just want you to prove to me that I don't have to be afraid of you if I see you walking around with a gun--that I don't have to worry about you shooting me because I wouldn't stop texting during the movie. While you may think that's unfair, you're the one carrying the device that's designed to kill.

EDIT: Jesus, that got out of hand. I'm sorry for preaching to the choir.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 19, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Interlude posted:

Most reasonable gun owners want that too. Problem is, how do you implement it? If you walk into a gun shop, they perform a background check on you before handing over that gun. If you have a clean record, what else can be done to ensure you're not going to kill seventeen people in a school? What if you prefer to kill your mother and use her gun to kill people in a school, like Newtown?

The time for compromise on this issue expired years ago, because for every reasonable person who just wants to reduce violence, there's someone else who wants to ban guns entirely, and another person that focuses on dumb things like assault weapons bans and microstamping that accomplish nothing of value other than to piss off gun owners, who then oppose anything reasonable because the well has been poisoned.

Yeah, I don't see any way short of extreme population control to prevent a Newtown situation. But situations like that SHOULD be the outlier, not virtually indistinguishable from a biweekly occurrence. Legislation of this sort isn't designed to cover every possible scenario where a gun might find its way into the hands of the populace, it's meant to reduce the chances by covering up the most likely trouble spots.

What can be done is restricting gun sales to literal lunatics, people with backgrounds disposed to violence, and otherwise obvious axe-grinders. Some kind of firearms training can be made mandatory for gun ownership--after all, the law mandates a "well-regulated" militia, which is far different from an untrained mob. Carrying guns around is a mixed bag for me--open carry goes beyond being armed into making a statement, in my opinion, but so long as the person isn't going to be pulling their gun on anyone they disagree with or firing wildly after a purse-snatcher, I can live with it. My own state, Minnesota, requires a permit to carry handguns, but anyone who has that permit to carry is allowed to carry openly. This also applies to long guns, which don't require a permit to carry. I think that's a sensible arrangement. Minnesota's permit to carry also serves as a permit to purchase handguns and "military-style assault weapons", while long guns require no purchase permit--that I think could use some tweaking, but just because I can't imagine a situation where you need an assault weapon in civilian life. I'm sure other people have reasons or they wouldn't own the things.

If the question was put to me, I would implement a system relatively like that. Establish a permit system for gun ownership and use, including a minimum age. This permit is only issued after a firearms safety/use training course and background check (maybe include a psychiatric evaluation? I'm not sure how you'd implement such a thing, though). The cost of the course is included in the permit fee, and the permit has to be renewed every X years. Once you have that permit, though, it serves as a license to carry concealed or open, and a license to purchase guns.

If this seems too big-government for people, it could be divested down to the state level. Have the federal government require that all states have this standard of licensure in place, in the interest of a well-regulated militia, but leave the actual implementation up to the states.

Something else that can be done right now is requiring all guns sold to United States citizens to go through a licensed operator--that's currently the case with brick and mortar stores, but online distributors aren't under such a mandate as last I heard.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I know that you're trying to argue in good faith, so please interpret any perceived argumentative tone in this post as an artifact of my just being blunt about the facts of the matter.

The only case in which a firearm can be legally sold by an unlicensed person to another unlicensed person without the use of an FFL is the private sale of a firearm to a resident of the same state as the seller. Long guns must be purchased out-of-state through an FFL, and direct possession can only be taken if such sale complies with the laws regarding purchase of a long gun in both the seller's and recipient's home state (meaning that if the seller's state denies sale to a non-resident, or the recipient's state denies direct receipt of a firearm from out-of-state, the sale must go through an FFL in the recipient's state of residence). Interstate handgun sales must always go through an FFL in the recipient's home state, no exceptions. I'm neither disagreeing nor agreeing with the concept of requiring that all firearm sales go through an FFL, just pointing out that there's only one case in which not doing so is legal to begin with by Federal law.

As far as "assault weapons" go, the biggest problem a lot of pro-gun people have with that term is that it's often defined by form and not function (as in, two firearms of the same caliber and magazine size may be in a situation where one is legal and the other illegal based on features that may only impact accuracy or ease of use, rather than the oft-stated "lethality" claim). Of course, if a lot of gun control were targeted at the guns most used in criminal acts, the primary target would be handguns (and Heller has already made that kind of targeting problematic).

For background checks, we have NICS. The problem with NICS is that it's only usable by FFLs (which wouldn't be an issue if all firearm sales went through FFLs), only gives a "go"/"delay"/"no go" response (so an FFL can't easily take action such as referring the purchaser to law enforcement), and relies on reporting of things that would prohibit someone from possessing a firearm by the states. Many states have failed both to implement their own background check system and to report indicators of prohibited possession (such as adjudication of mental deficiency or being involuntarily committed to a mental institution) to the Federal government. That's one of the biggest things that pro-gun people are talking about when they say "enforce the existing laws first".

Regarding training/safety courses, the primary concern is that it would be handled much the same way Voter ID laws have been implemented in some states (like having the course be held at one location, during one day each month, at hours that would require taking time off from one's job to go, if such location can be reached without undue burden by the person at all). If it were required that the implementation of such were done in a way that the training imposed neither an undue financial burden nor an undue burden of travel, it would be seen as a less problematic solution.

Again, I'm not pushing any position in either direction in response to what you're saying, only trying to get the facts out in the open, and point out the existing objections/problems that would have to be shored up before those solutions would be workable.

I appreciate the idea of trying to balance liberty with licentiousness when discussing what's currently a Constitutional right. It's a pity that so many people think that "sensible gun control" just means "make more types of guns illegal", "make it harder/more expensive for people to obtain firearms", or "only celebrities/politicians should be able to afford and/or navigate the system required to own/carry a firearm". And that's if people are even aware of the existing laws in the first place - I can't tell you how many people I've seen say "we need to make it illegal for someone who's involuntarily committed to own a firearm", when that's already in the laws.

Nah, you weren't overly blunt at all. I appreciate the information--gun control is one of the issues where I always feel undereducated since I don't use or own any guns myself. I did go through firearm safety training, but that was back in my Boy Scout days so if I remember any of it it's buried deep. Thanks a bunch for being straight with me.

I especially thank you for the clarification on "assault weapons" and gun licensing--I'm not immune to media hype, much as I might wish otherwise, so it's good and important to learn that's a contentious term and probably not related to the point I'm trying to make or the solution I'm trying to formulate. I'm going to take note of what you said if I bring this up to someone in the future.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

hamster_style posted:

Cousin re-posted this from the Tea Party page. I've already hammered on the Hitler gun control thing every other time he's re-posted a "Hitler == Barack HUSSEIN Obama" and it never seems to sink in. Was King George III really in favor of gun control?

Edit: Beaten to the punch, hard.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

To credit Jim Davis, his callous phoning in of it was impeccably executed, which requires a different sort of skill, and he hasn't used it to forward horrible ideas, or do anything proactive to destroy he medium. It would be interesting to find out what his favorite comics are.

Worth noting that when Garfield Minus Garfield started taking off at first (or Realfield--one of the 'net-based parodies), Jim Davis was made aware of it and gave it his wholehearted approval.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

You don't think it's a human condition that people will look out for their own interests?

Nah, I think it's perfectly logical. When I get an e-mail asking for money, I'm always agonizing over the fact that being in grad school and unemployed means I have none. Thus far it always comes down to me.

But the difference is that I agonize, is what he's talking about. I'm actively thinking about the other person. Certainly I'm not trying to argue that nobody with a right-wing mentality thinks about the well-being of others, but I think it could be argued that conservative philosophy in the modern era hews much more strongly towards selfishness in the extreme. Hence all these memes and tropes and poo poo like gently caress You, Got Mine. Or the whole Bootstraps argument. Or denying that inherent sociological bias is a thing when trying to justify stripping away minority advancement programs.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 24, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

He has an all-5s review from '07, which says he was a hell of a lot more courteous than he was to either of those two. What happened?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Theyr'e pretty loving happy in Indonesia, the largest Muslim population on Earth.

Isn't it amazing how all these talks about Muslim countries miss the worlds biggest Muslim country?

They prefer to focus on the countries which are wracked by civil war, or regular war, or which have varying levels of despotism in the government. Because then it's easy to ignore the various underlying causes and reasons for those statuses--especially in the cases where Western countries might well be complicit in causing them, like in the Gaza. Nope, nosiree, it's all because they're the wrong religion!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why do middle aged family members always insist on tagging everyone they know in unrelated pictures/statuses

I got a notification and thought someone wanted to talk to me :(

:sympathy:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Folding Bear posted:

Everything can be about Obummer. If only you try hard enough.

Also, how many of the people complaining about Obama taking vacations were also complaining when Bush Jr. spent an entire YEAR of his presidency (cumulative) on vacation? I'd like to see those numbers, because that was ridiculous.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

On the other hand, it's nice when people admit the American Revolution was more about taxes than FREEDOM

FREEDOM FROM TAXES THEREFORE :suicide:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

For the record, here's the actual fact sheet as presented in somewhat tragic formatting by Archive.org.

http://archive.org/stream/ArmyTalkOrientationFactSheet64-Fascism/Fascism64_djvu.txt

Edit: You're welcome! I've been led up the river enough times by reading things on the Internet and knee-jerking that now I reflexively check my sources, no matter what side is providing the information. History major reflexes I suppose.

It's not too weird an idea, the sheet there is discussing how fascists come to power--Hitler and the Nazis rose to power using that exact textbook slate (see also: Reichstag fire, Night of the Long Knives, Pastor Martin Neimoller). Very similar strategies were used in Italy, and to a more divergent extent in Japan (the militarists there divided the nation, turned it on its own moderate elements, downplayed international cooperation (see also: Japan leaves the League of Nations)). Once IN power, it notes, fascists will quickly discard their coats of many colors and set about enforcing those promises they think will benefit them the most, which usually involves breaking the ability to resist among those who are most vulnerable to government attack--the working-class, the poor, religious and racial minorities.

You can see extremely similar strategies and outright plotting in a lot of far-right parties today, such as the British BNP.

Edit Edit: Defining Japan's regime in that time period as "fascist" IS a little outlier compared to how Germany and Italy were run, and perhaps skewing the term some, but the similarities ARE quite high. "Militarist" is almost certainly better.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

vyelkin posted:

He's a Minnesota State Representative, I believe. Still elected, but hardly on the same level.

Oh, Christ. Wonder what his district is...

Edit: 58B, which is apparently the very fringe of the south Minneapolis metro and adjunct farmlands. Mostly rural, the edge of "Minneapolis" proper is just a ways north of there around Burnsville.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

I saw this billboard on the way to work today:

And apparently the same organization has a few of these ones around, too:

So, of course, I gotta check that website out.

I'm pretty sure, like, none of those are true. So basically this Council for Health Freedom is encouraging people to go without or pay more for health insurance... for freedom? They really are grasping at straws trying to defeat Obamacare at this point.

Ah, geez. Where was this exactly? I'm sick enough of the pro-lifer billboards, the last thing I need is to come home to this drivel and lies plastered up everywhere.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Elder Postsman posted:

The one I saw was on 94 West, right after 280. That's definitely not Bachmann territory.

Jesus, you're not lyin'. That's in walking distance of my college--within walking distance of the OFA headquarters in 2012, even.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Forget about putting armed guards in schools, just give the school librarians guns. The mass-shooters will never see it coming.

And remember, this is due back in two hours. Reserves can't be taken out of the library-- *ch-chink* --or else.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I hope that school does okay.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

You have to move the actual sourcing to where it can't be easily cropped out. Probably over the photo, too.

Curl it around some part of Cosby's head, where most Photoshop attempts are going to become really obvious thanks to loss.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I think anyone taking that paper seriously is ignoring the fact that it's taped to a paneled door, which I've never seen in any hospital I've been in but which I have seen as the front door of plenty of houses across America.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

McDowell posted:

I'm also curious what they mean by immigrants 'grazing' on the nation.

It's just another stupid wrapping of "Immigrants here illegally on MY tax dollars!!! Being fed and clothed and housed by the government with MY MONEY!!!"

Stupid. Many ways it could be understood as stupid.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's a fairly common meme to either massively cut or straight remove salaries for lawmakers yea. The logic behind it is that lawmaking should never be seen as a way to make a living but should be some noble calling, which totally works as long as Congress got renamed to The Monastic Order Of Law or whatever and I didn't hear about it.

This worked out really well for England, as I recall. Though to be fair, we pay our lawmakers and we have most of the problems they got from NOT paying their lawmakers, so.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Other horrible examples from there include Samus' Other M incarnation, which is an absolutely disastrous interpretation of a character, and Chun-li, who while definitely a strong and independently capable character has been completely sexualized from day one. Also, how does he think Kaine is a viable example when he explicitly notes he's not a woman? Maybe I'm not remembering the details of Neir properly.

Many of the other examples they're giving are excellent examples of strong females in video games (and Jade from B:GE does not get nearly enough love these days), but the fact remains that I could name many times as many characters who are men. This would be acceptable if there were many times as many men as women, which there are not. This might even be acceptable if there were many times as many male gamers as there are female. This may have been true at one point--it is not true now.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

SedanChair posted:

How many of those characters have pointlessly colossal tits?

Bayonetta and Chun-li absolutely do. Samus as mentioned was given stupidly large tits in Other M, which don't really jibe with prior depictions. Faith and Jade are built for their careers, though. Off the top of my head I can't speak on the others--that image is just hard to look at for some reason.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Sadly, I believe that in many cases the tits in question are in fact quite pointed.

Lara Croft's got ridiculous for a while (and indeed may always have been, I'm not a Tomb Raider expert by any means), but I decided not to bring her up because her recent reboot game had her at completely reasonable proportions. That game had its own weird, disturbing problems (I.E. the sheer number of startlingly detailed death animations from the QTEs), but objectification of women at least was not one of them. Which is a nice thing to be able to say about a Tomb Raider game of all things.

EDIT: This is probably enough of a derail, though. Unless we get another VIDEO GAMES CORRUPTING MY KIDS letter.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 22, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I can't speak for what the rates will look like five years or ten years from now, sir, but with certainty I can say that thirty or thirty-five years from now, you will see a remarkable upswing in native-born Canadians again.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 22, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

This is a stupid argument--the point is that Samus of all people should not be wearing heels. Certainly not five-inch heels. They ABSOLUTELY should not be built into her loving combat/parkour suit. It's beyond stupid. It also doesn't really fit with what personality she has. She shreds planets and criminal organizations for a living, and her reaction to having had her DNA rebonded with not one, but two alien species was apparently a lot more subdued than what I'd expect if I was in that situation (which would be screaming. Probably lots of it).

The only reason I can come up with is that the heels work like Chell's Long Fall Boots from Portal--allowing her to land safely from any height, which is a proven Metroid trait. But Chell's boots were designed with utility in mind, and built from that goal in the design process--this design is blatantly invoking the kind of fancy heels you see at a formal reception, and it doesn't function as a normal shoe when not absorbing shock, as the Long Fall Boot can and does.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 23, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Are you referring to the Metroid vaccine? That was more like just getting a cowpox shot.

Does a cowpox shot make the vaccinated person subsequently susceptible to the same environmental weaknesses as cowpox? Because the Metroid vaccine absolutely gave her susceptibility to ice, that was a major plot point of Fusion. Her biological structure had been significantly altered to be more like a Metroid's, which was why she became extremely vulnerable to ice and why the SA-X fought her using the exact methods you use to fight Metroids--ice beam, followed by missile.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

The whole Ukraine thing is bitching for the sake of bitching. Realistically, what are the US's options? Start a hot war? Threaten to bomb anyone who disagrees with us?

Quite frankly, why do you even want to let Russia get the satisfaction of thinking they are a global power anymore by playing their game of making them look bigger than they are? Conservative foreign policy just makes no sense to me and I can't even figure out the logic.

They want the president to be a white male Republican. There's really no other underlying logic I can figure out.

Also, it's pretty clear to me that guy didn't ask any Aussies what they think about ANZAC Day, because that celebration has changed dramatically in the last thirty years or so.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 2, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Fortunately, those people are not in charge of the justice system in Minnesota. That fucker is going somewhere he can't hurt anyone else for a really, really long time.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm all for 'Supportin' the Troops"™ but I don't think that even the loss of a limb should unconditionally mean that you never have to work for the rest of your life.
Sure, we should continue to cover medical expense, sure we can continue to pay some sort of compensation payment, but at some point you need to put down the Pacifico and enter the workforce.

To some extent I agree, but I really don't think that point is at $12690 a year. That's abysmal, barely above minimum wage, and it is a proven fact that surviving on one minimum wage job is, at best, extremely uncomfortable. I already live at $200 a month in food expenses, if I had also lost a leg and served several years in the military I would goddamn well expect to live better than that.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Really the only thing it's missing is driving home the point that in all these post-apocalyptic gunscape fantasies the bad guys getting shot are all American servicemen.

For a moment I thought this was Fallout discussion, because the same theme runs through there, too.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I would endorse use of America the Beautiful instead, personally.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

It even has GOD in it!

Yeah, my big qualm with it honestly. I had a hard time thinking of a song of similar stature that didn't, though, and I love the rest of the message. This Land doesn't but honestly I don't feel it's a good national anthem. Awesome song, though.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

While This Land is Your Land would own as the national anthem, the actual Correct choice is The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

It actually kind of sucks that so much American patriotic music just so lovely. Like, The Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful and God Bless America just aren't good songs and wouldn't be good even if they were about patriotic American peasants rising up to eat the rich and institute full communism.

I disagree about America the Beautiful, but in general, yes, there's a real bizarre dearth of GOOD American patriotic music. It doesn't help that all the stuff that gets made nowadays will drown you in sap.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

LeJackal posted:

I think that she works better. We even have some preliminary artwork for the album cover!

It's really a question of how to replace God in the cadence of some of these. I can't think of an appropriate single-syllable replacement for America the Beautiful so fairly extensive rewriting might be required.

I'm in support of bringing Columbia back, though.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

E-Tank posted:

Prick for much of his life or not, a senile old man is a senile old man.

I lived with my grandmother who suffered from dementia for years. She said things that I don't understand, and she at times didn't even know where she was. The real her was long gone, only showing up in fragments of lucidity. Even *if* Charlton Heston was lucid at that moment, it was still a bit of a dick move.

That said, if he was still president of NRA at the time and they hadn't quietly had him resign or something, he sort of had it coming. :sigh: I'm not sure how to stand on the issue.

It could have been a dick move, but he was still apparently lucid enough to think to run for a fifth term and win.

Charlton Heston was extremely pro-gun for the entirety of his life, right up to the end, regardless of whatever happened. It would be impossible to discuss Columbine WITHOUT at least talking about the NRA, which was and is the largest gun lobbying machine in the country and for better or worse serves as the poster-plasterer of the gun rights movement. Charlton Heston was their poster boy, and their president--the debate could not have ignored him and it would have been wrong to do so. I definitely agree with what you're saying about dementia--my great-grandmother went out the same way and I really, really would not have wanted to expose her to the public in that condition. But Heston didn't turn into this pro-gun nut when he started going senile, it was who he was all the way.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

This part made me double take. It's seriously disturbing that an American patriot could write this unironically. "Support the junta or go before a firing squad" -conservative American values

Edit: I wonder if these military fetishists realize that B. Hussein Obama is the commander in chief of the military. He's the number one military guy. Super king of the military. Every soldier from top to bottom has the ultimate duty to enact the will of our Marxist Muslim Emperor.

I'm pretty sure the actual military does recognize it.

http://terminallance.com/2013/05/17/terminal-lance-presidential-service/

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

http://youtu.be/A5ra9cXx1-o

Also, why does no one ever use any of the actual Confederate flags? Like, is there any particular reason their naval ensign became a rightist political symbol but their real flag didn't?

The Confederate naval ensign is a much better flag than any of the actual Confederate flags, is the thing. It's got a better-looking design, it uses its colors better, and overall is much more memorable than any of the proper flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Took me a read or two, but yeah, that's a great one in my book.