Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Immortal Defense. That game owns.

For future reference, there's (for some reason) two threads for helping people remember the names of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

There's (for some reason) two threads ...

:doh:

HMS Boromir posted:

Immortal Defense

Thank you! Muchas gracias, amigo.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

Hm yes don't discount this game until you've played 20-40 hours of it, and don't you dare summon help for probably the most heavily co-oped boss, lest you play the game wrong and end up with the wrong opinions.

A lot of people bounce off Dark Souls and end up loving it when they come back to it later but "Don't give up until two thirds of the way through the game, and make sure you fight the hardest boss solo" is pretty laughable.

I didn't say solo, I said without player summons. Solair is right there. I needed him. O&S was a brick wall. I threw the player summons comment out there because if you get the right guy who throws really strong lightning bolts and trivializes the boss, you'll probably wind up just being confused as to what all the fuss is about. Unless exploration and fluff is what he's almost entirely interested in, in which case sure, get a friend to stomp everything and let him take his time.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 13, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WaltherFeng posted:

Can anyone recommend me good 3rd person tactical shooters for PS3/4. After my MGS marathon I've been wanting some games where you plan your own course of action.

Not QUITE the same, but Assassin Creeds Unity and Syndicate let you carry out the big assassination missions out however you want with multiple approaches to each target. Even occasionally showing you how to set up a Hitman-esque unique approach for some, like hiding in place of a cadaver to get delivered right to the doctor you'd come to assassinate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Can anyone recommend me good 3rd person tactical shooters for PS3/4. After my MGS marathon I've been wanting some games where you plan your own course of action.

I only played a bit of it but really liked The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. That's the tactical squad-based third person shooter that came out and was quickly forgotten. It's like $5 occasionally and reminded me of Freedom Fighters one of my favorite games.

Speaking of which, find yourself a PC copy of Freedom Fighters.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 13, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

al-azad posted:

I only played a bit of it but really liked The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. That's the tactical squad-based third person shooter that came out and was quickly forgotten. It's like $5 occasionally and reminded me of Freedom Force one of my favorite games.

Speaking of which, find yourself a PC copy of Freedom Force.

Didn't Brothers in Arms play the same way

al-azad
May 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Didn't Brothers in Arms play the same way

More or less. It's kind of a simulation game than a straight first person shooter. Enemies in cover are basically invulnerable so you have to flank them or scare them away to hit. I can see it being frustrated to someone looking for a traditional shooter but yeah I'd call the series tactical.

To a lesser extent there's Full Spectrum Warrior and Valkyria Chronicles which are straight tactical games but are played from the third person.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved and still love freedom fighters. Does anyone know of any other games that were that good?

What I liked most was the branching campaign where you had a list of missions and depending the order you did them in, it would be easier or harder. This married nicely with the TPS gameplay there were hidden spots you could explore to find dudes who would fight with you. The commands you could give them were sliding but the AI was really good at picking the optimal thing to not die.

The story was silly and dumb as hell, and I loved it. You were a Brooklyn plumber who is in the middle of Manhattan when Russia invades the East coast. You save yourself by bashing in a guys skull with a plumbers wrench. Your brother escapes into sewers, and at some point you follow him to find this whole sewer based resistance, because Americans flush guns or something lol.

Anyways more like that please.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

al-azad posted:

Speaking of which, find yourself a PC copy of Freedom Force.

I think you're referring to Freedom Fighters? Wasn't Freedom Force the superhero themed RTS? But yeah Freedom Fighters owns and I wish EA and Io would come to an agreement and put it in some digital distribution platforms.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Right, Freedom Fighters. There was another PS2 era squad-based tactical puzzle-y game called Project Eden which I really liked. It's up on GOG.

Turtlicious posted:

I loved and still love freedom fighters. Does anyone know of any other games that were that good?

What I liked most was the branching campaign where you had a list of missions and depending the order you did them in, it would be easier or harder.

Alpha Protocol and that's about it.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Anything similar to Solomon's Boneyard/Keep on iOS where you have different characters with different play styles and level up and gain perks as you go? I was also really into Crimsonland. Not as into Minigore for some reason, maybe because the combat isn't that interesting.

Trillest Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 13, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A while ago I bought all 3 of the old impressions games' City Builders - Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon and Caesar 3.

I only played Pharaoh but never finished its campaign - of these, which would you say is the "best", well-rounded city builder?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Caesar 3 had a bigger following, but I was more fond of Pharoh, if only for the atmosphere. I only played a demo of Zeus (although I may own it now from some bundle. Not sure.)

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I think Zeus/Poseidon is generally considered the best.

They're all pretty much the same game with different skins and incremental refinements though. If you like one aesthetic or historical era more than the others, play that one.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Seconding Zeus/Poseidon. Probably the most up to date.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I know it wasn't one of the options but I want to give a shoutout to Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom as it's my personal favorite and nobody seems to remember it exists whenever the city building series comes up. Just needs an easily applied widescreen patch and it's still great fun.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Any suggestions for some good narrative based games that require very little actual gameplay? I'm pretty much looking for visual novels except not anime and well written/emotional. I just got through Firewatch it and I did enjoy it a great deal but the trekking through the woods and tossing pinecones around and poo poo took away something for me. The very beginning where you're just making very simple choices resonated well with me.

I don't really like the telltale games. I did enjoy Kentucky Route Zero immensely.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

punch drunk posted:

Any suggestions for some good narrative based games that require very little actual gameplay? I'm pretty much looking for visual novels except not anime and well written/emotional. I just got through Firewatch it and I did enjoy it a great deal but the trekking through the woods and tossing pinecones around and poo poo took away something for me. The very beginning where you're just making very simple choices resonated well with me.

I don't really like the telltale games. I did enjoy Kentucky Route Zero immensely.
If you don't mind going super minimalist (literally text on a screen with choices) the Choice of Games CYOAs are generally really good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

double nine posted:

A while ago I bought all 3 of the old impressions games' City Builders - Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon and Caesar 3.

I only played Pharaoh but never finished its campaign - of these, which would you say is the "best", well-rounded city builder?

I think Caesar is the most popular and best balanced overall, but Zeus/Poseidon is more fun because you can battle Hydras and poo poo while you're managing your kingdom.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

double nine posted:

They scratch pretty different itches. Caesar 3 is Rome, which is fun, but it's the oldest of those three and the least sophisticated mechanically.

Pharaoh/Cleopatra has by far the best monument building component of the whole series, and an interesting mechanism with the river-based farming, but has pretty weird mechanics for the walker logic when makes you end up with somewhat weird city layouts.

Zeus/Poseidon is the quirkiest and has the most polished mechanics, with an emphasis on heroes and monsters and on building colonies. A lot of people really liked it, but I found the "humor" pretty irritating and distracting and never enjoyed it that much.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom can be hard to find because it's not in the same bundle, but is by far the most polished graphically and mechanically as it was the last one they made. It has a nice mix of monument building, resource gathering, international diplomacy, and a little military stuff. The feng shui mechanic is a little tacked-on but not a big deal. This is my strongest recommendation, but it's also the hardest to find.

If you want to play one of the three from that pack, I'd put it like this: if you want cool Roman stuff, go Caesar 3; if you want awesome monument projects that require careful logistics and planning, go Pharaoh; if you want story-driven stuff with polished mechanics, go Zeus/Poseidon.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Children of the Nile is pretty, hth

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punch drunk posted:

Seconding Choice of Games published games. Choice of Robots is a recommended place to start.

Look into Ether One. At the surface it's an atmospheric "walking game" but there are optional puzzles to complete to get a better understanding of the plot. It's a game about healing someone with dimentia by going into their memories with a futuristic machine and piecing together their past.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Back To 99 posted:

Children of the Nile is pretty, hth

Yeah Children of the Nile is the better version of Cleopatra / Pharoh, the pathing is more complex and interesting. Its early 3D art which gives you a good view but the graphics aren't quite as impressive as the 2D Cleopatra, but if you can get past that its a lot of fun. Although with the focus on people agents makes it closer to the latest Sim City than to a Caesar style building game. And the agents had some problems just like in SimCity, but its not nearly as broken as SimCity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also, Caesar 4 was a shitshow. Don't play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

punch drunk posted:

Gone Home, 80 Days, Stanley Parable, and Her Story.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you don't mind going super minimalist (literally text on a screen with choices) the Choice of Games CYOAs are generally really good.

al-azad posted:

Seconding Choice of Games published games. Choice of Robots is a recommended place to start.

Look into Ether One. At the surface it's an atmospheric "walking game" but there are optional puzzles to complete to get a better understanding of the plot. It's a game about healing someone with dimentia by going into their memories with a futuristic machine and piecing together their past.

Accordion Man posted:

Gone Home, 80 Days, Stanley Parable, and Her Story.

Thanks for these suggestions. Looking at this list and checking out some of them it seems like I'm definitely interested in whats considered the CYOA genre. For example, while I like the story in Gone Home I don't particularly care for the walking about the house and doing the actual piecing together of it by finding a paper in a drawer. Same thing as in Firewatch.

I really like the Choice of Games stuff I've checked out so far but a little bit of art and contextual music/ambient noises would go a long way to immerse me even more. 80 Days and Her Story look pretty good too.

I really wish I liked the Telltale games but something just takes me out of it. I think they may just be too lighthearted or the cartoony graphics taking me out of it.

I also found a game called Oxenfree that seems pretty cool if anyone is looking for something similar to me.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 17, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

punch drunk posted:

I also found a game called Oxenfree that seems pretty cool if anyone is looking for something similar to me.
While its also a real good adventure game Oxenfree has exploration like Firewatch and Gone Home, so it may not be what you're looking for.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

While its also a real good adventure game Oxenfree has exploration like Firewatch and Gone Home, so it may not be what you're looking for.

For my dumb brain Oxenfree actually works a little better because of its character perspective in addition to the art style. Something like watching the characters go exploring and the amount of dialogue choices click with me a bit better. I know I sound like a total sperg with this poo poo but I really appreciate the suggestions so far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
While I haven't yet played it, I think Consortium may fit your description. If we're really stretching it, I'd say Alpha Protocol on Easy Mode might suffice. Just due to the sheer amount of dialogue choices, and the fact that you can pretty much breeze through the game on Easy. Still stretching it, but This War of Mine might also scratch the itch you're trying to describe, though that game is pretty hard.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 17, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punch drunk posted:

Thanks for these suggestions. Looking at this list and checking out some of them it seems like I'm definitely interested in whats considered the CYOA genre. For example, while I like the story in Gone Home I don't particularly care for the walking about the house and doing the actual piecing together of it by finding a paper in a drawer. Same thing as in Firewatch.

I really like the Choice of Games stuff I've checked out so far but a little bit of art and contextual music/ambient noises would go a long way to immerse me even more. 80 Days and Her Story look pretty good too.

I really wish I liked the Telltale games but something just takes me out of it. I think they may just be too lighthearted or the cartoony graphics taking me out of it.

If you have a tablet then check out the Steve Jackson gamebooks like Fighting Fantasy. There's also Sorcery on Steam. These are direct adaptions of like 40 year old CYOA books and they're even better in video game form.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Easily one of my all time favorite CYOA series was the Lone Wolf books, which are on both Steam and iOS now as app/game/gamebook things.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279440/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/joe-devers-lone-wolf/id670180785?mt=8

its also available for free as a nintendo DS game, but you'll need a flashcart obviously

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

punch drunk posted:

The Last Express (made in 1997):

Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252710/
GOG link: http://www.gog.com/game/last_express_the

Easily one of the best p&c adventures of all time, you are a stowaway on the Orient express where you are to meet with your friend, but when you open his compartment, you find he has been murdered. Somehow you need to find out who killed him and why, while impersonating your friend to keeping conductors and the police from discovering you. Important detail: the game never pauses. Life on the train goes on, other characters on the train will eat, sleep, chat with each other whether you're there or not. Meaning it is quite possible to miss clues for (sub)plots because you were on the other side of the train when [event] happened.

Also the game is made with beautiful rotoscope animations.

fakeedit: ach drat, here's the GOG description, it's better written:

quote:

about : Paris, 1914. The world is on the brink of war and this train could push it over the edge. You are Robert Cath, a young American urgently summoned by your old friend Tyler Whitney to join him aboard the Paris-Constantinople express, departing from the Gare de l'Est on July 24th. Arriving late, you discover something has gone terribly wrong. Now you must untangle a complex web of political intrigue, suspense, romance, and betrayal. Every move you make could bring you closer to the truth or your own demise. Bon voyage!
*Unique Art Nouveau graphics achieved through rotoscoping.
*One of only a few adventure games played in real-time, among AI-controlled characters with their own goals and means with which to achieve them.
*Incredible playability with many endings thanks to a complex, adaptive storyline.

Pushes Up Roses made a video if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QBeiIfGGw

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh bringing up GOG reminded me of Spycraft. Spycraft is a FMV adventure game where you play as a CIA agent recruited into a taskforce that's mission is to stop the assassination of the president during nuclear disarmament talks in Russia. It's actually pretty unique and fun and while there are FPS segments and a tactical segment where you led a raid, its mostly just investigation puzzles and stuff like that.

Unlike Last Express though its GOG only.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

punch drunk posted:

I wanted to thank you for reminding me about Firewatch. I played through the entire thing last night.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I'm trying to find something similar to Warship Gunner (2). I really enjoy the combo of the research and ship design metagame along with the actual campaign itself. Attemping to min-max my battleship by fitting the biggest guns and as many CWIS guns on it as possible was really fun. I don't necessarily need another naval themed one, space ship or whatnot would work too. But the vehicle building/design metagame and singleplayer is what I really enjoy! Any suggestions?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bishop Beo posted:

I'm trying to find something similar to Warship Gunner (2). I really enjoy the combo of the research and ship design metagame along with the actual campaign itself. Attemping to min-max my battleship by fitting the biggest guns and as many CWIS guns on it as possible was really fun. I don't necessarily need another naval themed one, space ship or whatnot would work too. But the vehicle building/design metagame and singleplayer is what I really enjoy! Any suggestions?

I've been asking this for a while and haven't really found any besides robot games. Armored Core, Mechwarrior 2/3/4, Robot Arena 2 (a really spergy and detailed Battlebots/Robot Wars simulator).

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Bishop Beo posted:

Definitely try the Armored Core series if you haven't. I like For Answer the most!

Im looking for something i can play on lan with my partner, no trustworthy internet. Borderlands and diablo 2 were favorites - something with loot and character builds. Cant need too highend a pc. Thanks!

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like playing some kind of single-player game similar to board/card games, fun but shortish and relaxing/chill. Paced like Weird Worlds or Runespell. Guild of Dungeoneering sounded perfect until I read some reviews. Any suggestions?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Bishop Beo posted:

Front Mission is kinda like this, a turn based rpg with customizable giant robots. The original SNES/DS one is still very good, 3 and 4 for the PS1 and PS2 respectively are solid as well, don't know about the rest. Also kinda similar but more obscure and weirder is the Metal Max series. Looks like a typical jrpg, but you drive customizable tanks into battle. Most of them haven't been translated to english though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

field balm posted:

Definitely try the Armored Core series if you haven't. I like For Answer the most!

Im looking for something i can play on lan with my partner, no trustworthy internet. Borderlands and diablo 2 were favorites - something with loot and character builds. Cant need too highend a pc. Thanks!

Torchlight 2 supports LAN play, and has loot and character builds. If you can run borderlands you can probably run TL2.