Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What's my next best option for a crafting/exploration/combat style game? I know this has sorta been asked recently but I'm not necessarily tied to the survival style elements.

I've played Subnautica, Stardew, Terraria, Time at Portia (although I do need to finish this one), Don't Starve and Dragon Quest Builder. I'm not interested in a management/colony game (like Rimworld, Stonehearth, etc...). Just want something with a progression system that steadly opens up new stuff. As far as I can tell my options are:

Conan Exiles - But is there enough content to enjoy solo?
Minecraft with mods - I haven't played Minecraft in 5+ years and watching videos of it now just makes it seem like most mods are just complex for complexity's sake rather than providing an enjoyable progression experience.
Portal Knights - Which just seems like why not just play Minecraft with mods?
7 Days to Die - Just seems like a bit too janky and the latest update appears to turn up the grind to extreme. Also doesn't really feel like you see a lot new, just upgrade the materials you can work with to kill/mine/gather faster.

Is there a better option I've missed?

nessin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Astroneer, it's all crafting and exploration but no combat that I've seen.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

nessin posted:

What's my next best option for a crafting/exploration/combat style game? I know this has sorta been asked recently but I'm not necessarily tied to the survival style elements.

I've played Subnautica, Stardew, Terraria, Time at Portia (although I do need to finish this one), Don't Starve and Dragon Quest Builder. I'm not interested in a management/colony game (like Rimworld, Stonehearth, etc...). Just want something with a progression system that steadly opens up new stuff. As far as I can tell my options are:

Minecraft with mods - I haven't played Minecraft in 5+ years and watching videos of it now just makes it seem like most mods are just complex for complexity's sake rather than providing an enjoyable progression experience.
7 Days to Die - Just seems like a bit too janky and the latest update appears to turn up the grind to extreme. Also doesn't really feel like you see a lot new, just upgrade the materials you can work with to kill/mine/gather faster.

If you're interested in minecraft I can suggest Sevtech Ages. There's a bit of a hump at the start where you have to kill mobs at night for shadow gems but it's otherwise a pretty smooth experience, and not that complex.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

nessin posted:

No Man's Sky :v:

I'd recommend Miasmata for straight-up exploration, but the jank factor is pretty high. There's also no crafting (some potions, I guess, but not gear or bases) but the exploration and cartography is pretty unique.

Conan's content might even last you longer if you're solo, but you might want to mod the gathering rates to compensate for the lack of help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking for a modern game where mooshing monsters together to make bigger better monsters is a big part. Ideally the resultant monsters are generated from the inputs rather than being a tech tree deal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If it's just the feeling of progressing through trees of get X to be able to make Y to finally make Z and unlock the next tier of things to make, I'd still recommend Minecraft Sky Factory. You start with nothing (and nowhere to explore) but you steadily build out everything to build higher and higher tiers of things. You still kind of have to choose what higher tiers you really want to shoot for, which is sort of making your own goals, but you can get really far before running out of steam.

There's also Evolve, which is 7 Days to Die but with Dinosaurs instead of Zombies, and no ruins to explore.

Mayveena posted:

Astroneer, it's all crafting and exploration but no combat that I've seen.

I'd second this as well. Technically some plants will fight you, but it doesn't mean much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Splicer posted:

Looking for a modern game where mooshing monsters together to make bigger better monsters is a big part. Ideally the resultant monsters are generated from the inputs rather than being a tech tree deal.

http://demon.ferretdev.org/

It's free and amazing, go go go

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

nessin posted:

If you're okay with crafting being for your character and not a home base, check Outward. It is sort of a survival Skyrim with more emphasis on exploration and better combat, and less on narrative. It's fairly difficult but you can prepare for the harder content.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

If you're okay with crafting being for your character and not a home base, check Outward. It is sort of a survival Skyrim with more emphasis on exploration and better combat, and less on narrative. It's fairly difficult but you can prepare for the harder content.

I heard Outward was balanced for co-op, but didn't give quest progress to anyone but the host. Has that been fixed yet?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

nessin posted:

Graveyard Keeper?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nessin posted:

I honestly believe that Fallout 76 could possibly fit this description. 7 Days to Die is without a doubt jankier than Fallout 76. Conan Exiles felt like... I dunno. It felt weird. There's also Ark but that's a love it or hate it type of game and even though I have 500+ hours in it I can't recommend it to anyone in good faith. Portal Knights is just way too simple to be fun, imo. It's a game for little kids I think.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nessin posted:

Signs of Life is goon made and good. It's early access if that puts you off and there's a big ol' patch due sometime soonish (tm), but it is actually happening and there's a ton of progress updates in their discord.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The other game that comes to mind is Craft the World. They’ve worked on it since it was released and it’s better for it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh yeah Craft the World was pretty good when I tried it. It had an annoying pathing AI glitch related to water, and dwarves would sometimes have problems using minecarts properly but that's about it I think.

...looks like they added some stuff since I played.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 8, 2019

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Depending how actiony you want, and if we're counting Fallout then Dying Light could fit the bill.
There's a lot tucked away in the world if you do side quests and the combat system is heavily reliant on scavenging and crafting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mayveena posted:

The other game that comes to mind is Craft the World. They’ve worked on it since it was released and it’s better for it.

Craft the World is fine but it is more like Rimworld or Stonehearth than the other games on that list. OP, you probably won't be interested in it if you weren't interested in Oxygen Not Included.

nessin posted:

I'd normally recommend Factorio but while not a colony manager since there's just your avatar that you control, it's still pretty colony manager-ish since you're building up a factory.

Serious recommendations:
Opus Magnum a puzzle/crafting game
Infinifactory a puzzle/crafting game
SpaceChem

I assume you're aware of Starbound by the same company that made Terraria?

edit: There was also a really popular action/crafting game that reminded me of Zelda except you had to craft all your own weapons more than anything awhile back. Sadly I can't remember the name of it, but it came out on tablet so someone in the mobile threads might remember it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 8, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The dwarves in Craft the World have no personality so I would disagree it was like Rimworld. Nor does Craft the World have the kind of technical challenges that Oxygen Not Included has, nothing the same. It’s far simpler than either of those.

Factorio has a demo, try it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'm looking for games where you can massively change the world, for better or worse. Things that change the landscape, or upgrade towns or whatever you pass through, through sidequesting or grinding or bonus objectives on boss fights. I'm less interested in games that change automatically as the plot progresses without your input.

Genre isn't super important.

Games that have fit this mold recently (Even if some are terrible):

Tyrrany
Mass Effect Andromeda
Okami
Vampyr

Games where you can massively improve a squad in a variety of ways (and risk them dying permanently) are also of interest to me. I'd pick up XCOM2 + all the DLC if it was on sale.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I heard Outward was balanced for co-op, but didn't give quest progress to anyone but the host. Has that been fixed yet?

I don't think so, but it's perfectly playable solo. You just have to prep for things and be willing to abandon a dungeon to go prep for it now that you know more about what's in it. That's in contrast to co-op play where almost everything can be brute forced without engaging in the survival/crafting/preparing side of it.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 9, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Vadun posted:

I'm looking for games where you can massively change the world, for better or worse. Things that change the landscape, or upgrade towns or whatever you pass through, through sidequesting or grinding or bonus objectives on boss fights. I'm less interested in games that change automatically as the plot progresses without your input.

Tyrrany
Mass Effect Andromeda
Okami
Vampyr

Games where you can massively improve a squad in a variety of ways (and risk them dying permanently) are also of interest to me. I'd pick up XCOM2 + all the DLC if it was on sale.

Zombasite
Space Rangers

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Vadun posted:

Tyrrany
Mass Effect Andromeda
Okami
Vampyr

Mount and Blade or any of its various spinoffs (like Caribbean if you'd rather be a pirate than a knight)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, the first thing that pops into mind when you say that is Fate of the World. Also Paradox Games might count.

Assassin's Creed 2 has a pretty neat thing where you build up a town, but I guess there's a lot of games that throw that in as a side game. If Okami scratched that itch for you, maybe Twilight Princess?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vadun posted:

Tyrrany
Mass Effect Andromeda
Okami
Vampyr

Sid Meier's Pirates. You can conquer and convert every single city to the nationality of your choosing.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Thanks everyone.

Pirates and Zombasite look interesting. I look forward to Bannerlord in a decade when it comes out too.

I'll take another crack at Crusader Kings 2 and Stellaris, which I already own. I just have the bad habit of making myself bored because I'm playing on settings with non-aggressive AI. I need to switch that up and start from scratch on higher difficulties now that I know the systems.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any recommendations for a modern MMO that has the smallest amount of grinding possible (hopefully zero) with a lot of exploration potential, fun mobility options, that isn't weird anime? Bonus points if there are actually fun non-combat activities that don't involve collecting things for the sake of collecting things.

The Elder Scrolls Online is the last MMO I played and I bounced off it pretty hard since it felt like WoW with fake action combat, but I might be willing to try it again if there are no other options.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

kedo posted:

Any recommendations for a modern MMO that has the smallest amount of grinding possible (hopefully zero) with a lot of exploration potential, fun mobility options, that isn't weird anime? Bonus points if there are actually fun non-combat activities that don't involve collecting things for the sake of collecting things.

The Elder Scrolls Online is the last MMO I played and I bounced off it pretty hard since it felt like WoW with fake action combat, but I might be willing to try it again if there are no other options.

Ummm... Guild Wars 2? Not actually many mobility options but you can glide.
Warframe has maximum mobility but not so much on the exploration or lack of grind.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Ummm... Guild Wars 2?

Ugh, should have mentioned I played that one and enjoyed the exploration in it! So good recommendation, bad job kedo.

\/ \/ :doh: Sorry, but thank you too!

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 9, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kedo posted:

I'm gonna say Guild Wars 2. It has the best implementation of mounts I've seen in an MMO. The downside to this is they are locked behind the Path of Fire expansion. The map is gorgeous and there are actually things to find out in the world, for instance you may stumble across an unmarked jumping puzzle with a treasure chest at the end. It's really combat based so there aren't really any non-combat activities.

As for a more off the wall suggestion, perhaps check out Sea of Thieves? It's not an MMO but it's an always online type of game. The game is somewhat simple, but only because they have boiled down their gameplay loop to only the fun parts and got rid of every bit of chaff that did not contribute to that vision of fun. The upside to this is that the entire game experience is available to you from minute one. The downside to this is that the entire game experience is available to you from minute one. Some people need progression in their games to stay interested and while there are factions to 'grind', there's really not much of a reason to do so, other than be happy at seeing the bars go up. Some people bounce of the game feeling like there isn't any depth to it, while others (like myself) are amazed by the potential for player interactions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kedo posted:

Rift. It's free to play, there's at least (exactly? I forget) one puzzle and cairn per zone, two of the races have movement abilities (and dwarves take half damage on falls), and while there is grind available you can ignore it and hit max level just loving about doing world events and the eponymous rifts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I have to played since nightmare tide though so I'm nervously waiting for someone to tell me why it's crap now :ohdear:

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Vadun posted:

This reminds me we need Magic Carpet 3.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

This reminds me we need Magic Carpet 3.

If only Arcane Worlds had actually been completed.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'd like a game where you can build up a farm, or town, or even an entire civilization, possibly with multiple tech trees, barbarians, etc. But I'd like it to be EASY. It can be turn based or real time. But I don't want to be steamrolled in the late game. Just something I can play to relax while listening to podcasts or half watching shows.

It can be old. I have tons of games on steam that I haven't given much of a chance over the last ten years or so. Anno maybe? Crusader Kings?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chinook posted:

I'd like a game where you can build up a farm, or town, or even an entire civilization, possibly with multiple tech trees, barbarians, etc. But I'd like it to be EASY. It can be turn based or real time. But I don't want to be steamrolled in the late game. Just something I can play to relax while listening to podcasts or half watching shows.

It can be old. I have tons of games on steam that I haven't given much of a chance over the last ten years or so. Anno maybe? Crusader Kings?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/704640/Evolution_of_Ages_Settlements/

Settlements is what you're looking for. It's got a weird antique UI but it's very absorbing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Play any Civilization game on Settler difficulty?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Colonization (either the original or the Civ 4 remake) on the easiest mode I found to be a nice slow paced game where you get to watch your stuff grow.

Anno and Crusader Kings have a relatively high knowledge floor in order to understand why you would pull any of the dozens of levers they give you, but after you get there it can be relaxing as long as you don't mind occasional bullshit from something you didn't realize you needed to pay attention to.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Settlements is what you're looking for. It's got a weird antique UI but it's very absorbing.

That might be the ugliest game I have ever seen.

Speaking of ugly games

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573060/LOGistICAL/

You deliver raw materials to processing plants to make other materials to deliver them elsewhere to make other prodcuts to deliver them to towns for cheevos. The UI is bad and clunky, the game is ugly, but you can't lose and the projects to build roads and complete cities gets bigger and more complex. I wouldn't call it hard, but you'll have to (clunkily) recall your fleet of trucks and give it a few minutes of thought on how to complete some of your objectives.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

i wanted to like this game but it is hideous and has the worst ui i've ever seen

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Factorio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Looking for RPGs with good character/class customization. I've liked neverwinter 2, divinity original sin 1/2, elder scrolls, mass effect, path of exile, grim dawn. Similarly class based jrpgs like bravely default, ff5, octopath sort of fit this itch as well but I'm looking most western right now.

Tried getting into dungeon crawlers which are close to what I want, but I get tired of them mid way through. like grimrock, EO series, and darkest dungeon. To clarify I somewhat like these games they just feel tedious.