Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can someone recommend some co-op games for 2-3 players that are easy to play?
My friend just got his first gaming PC and we're looking for games to play together but he is struggling with most of the games that we try because he's not really a gamer and he is really bad at video games. Anything where has has to take in a lot of information very quickly or that requires quick reaction times is giving him a hard time.

Games that have worked:
Magicka - We made it through the game and had fun but I think it was more frustrating than anything, because he never really accomplished anything except killing me and whenever I was dead it would take him like 5 minutes of walking in circles before he figured out how to resurrect me.
Endless Space/Civ 5 - Turn-based stuff seems to be easier and once he got over the initial learning curve these went pretty smoothly but his turns take a really, really long time which made it less fun for me.
Trine/2 - because who doesn't love Trine? He had fun but he was also pretty much incompetent through the game and never did anything on his own, he just kind of tagged along while I played through the game.
Portal 2

Games that didn't work:
Borderlands 2 - He died constantly and spent most of the playtime running back to where I was when I couldn't pick him up in time.
Dawn of War 2 - He had a hard time managing multiple units, and the way that units are assigned was causing us some problems (e.g. he would buy a bunch of units and they would just sit there for the entire map because he wouldn't select them)
Risk of Rain - was a little too hard for him on the easiest difficulty

Basically we are looking for "Baby's First Co-Op Videogame" kind of stuff. He's a smart guy but hilariously inept at playing video games (even though he's really in to it). He's extremely bad at reading on-screen text unless it's a big in-your-face popup that you can't ignore/skip and one of the biggest hurdles I have been getting over is getting him to figure out the controls for whatever game we're playing (because he doesn't read the on-screen indicators or whatever and doesn't have the experience playing games necessary to just sit down in a new game and know how to play it) so something with very simple/intuitive controls that are clearly and obviously explained in-game would be ideal. Back in the day (~13+ years ago) he used to play RTS (C&C and Total Annihilation) and Unreal Tournament games but I think whatever know-how or skill he had has entirely faded at this point. I don't think we really have any restrictions on genre, we just want things that are easy for someone who is a non-gamer while simultaneously fulfilling for 1-2 other players that are Good At Video Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've tried to sell him on both Monaco and Starbound. I think he was kind of interested in Monaco but it was a bad time so I'll bring that back up and see if he's interested. I've told him about Starbound a few times and he's either not interested and not telling me or he just keeps forgetting. I think it might be a little advanced for him at the moment with all of the unintuitive menu screens (if goons in the game forum were confused by the starmap screen he definitely will be) but I have a feeling he would like it once he gets used to moving around virtual worlds and navigating menus. Monaco is definitely a great suggestion that could be used right now, though!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 23, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any 4X-Style games where instead of competing against other 'player' entities which are more or less the equivalent to myself, I'm competing against the equivalent of the independents in most 4x games, but more fleshed out and made in to a full entity? I don't really know how to explain what I'm looking for but I had a dream about a fantasy 4X game like this where I played as a civilization settling an untamed wilderness and instead of dealing with other players the opponent was the wilderness itself, big roaming monsters and tribal villages and things like that. The idea interested me and I'd like to play something like that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing a lot of AoW3 lately and while I enjoy it the big thing preventing it from being what I'm looking for here is that all of the adventuring leads to eventually warring with the other player civilizations. I liked Warlock 1's Armageddon DLC which was a lot like this, except it did have other players growing in tandem with me warring against both me and the big evil threat taking over the world, does Warlock 2 have something similar built-in?

e: vv That sounds great, I'll check it out!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 18, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WayneCampbell posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for turn based Tactical RPGs/SRPGs on the PC. Preferably on Steam. I'm almost done with the new XCOM (Loving it) and loved the fire emblem/final fantasy tactics (advanced) games. I've played through the HOMM games and Kings bounty games and while I enjoyed them I didn't like them as much as the previously mentioned games. Also, I bought the old XCOM games in a pack ages ago and still can't get past the god awful UI.

If you're okay with something that's not a traditional SRPG but has turn-based tactical RPG combat, try Divinity: Original Sin

You can get it in Early Access now which is packed with content (I haven't seen it all) but saves are not compatible with future versions, so you may want to wait until the official release in the next couple months. It's a party-based CRPG with turn-based combat and a lot of tactical and strategic options, as well as doing some really cool things with dialog (especially if you want to play mutliplayer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYaPnmQQK1g

Don't be fooled by all of the overwhelmingly positive review snippets in this video: the game really is that good.

Similarly you might want to check out Wasteland 2, also a CRPG and with good old grid-based X-Com combat, also currently in Early Access.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 12, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that has lots of unique minor characters? I've recently been playing State of Decay, and what I love most about it is the sheer randomness/individuality of the non-hero characters you encounter. It made me think back to XCOM: EU, with unique characters being given life beyond their dullness through the experiences you go through with them (the constant threat of losing them definitely helps). I love playing games with characters that seem to contribute little-to-nothing to the story, yet are either full of character or are unique enough that I unconsciously fill in the blanks.

My preferences for this kind of request are pretty wide. Besides SoD and XCom, I've enjoyed The Last Remnant/SaGa Frontier (wide range of unique party characters), Crusader Kings (goofy looking people for me to feel bad about murdering), Evil Genius (Samurai/Afroman/Witchdoctor/etc.), and Telltale's The Walking Dead (self-explanatory). These games seem to have little in common, but they have that oomph of character(s) that just spices up the game.

TLDR: Give me games with characters for me to dote on.

Xenonauts is an incredible game and definitely worth checking out if you're interested in another X-Com (thread - check out the goon impressions, they're very positive, this game is pretty stellar). Don't let the Early Access tag fool you, the game is feature-complete and will be officially leaving Early Access in the next couple weeks when the devs finish up some promotional/marketing stuff. Liberal Crime Squad is great for this if you're okay with ASCII graphics and text, it's not as complicated as it looks and it's pretty much entirely about recruiting ridiculous characters in to your Arch-Liberal Crime Organization, giving them code names, and assigning them to tasks ranging from kidnapping and stealing cars to prostitution and murder - the whole thing is very tongue-in-cheek and pokes equal fun at both sides of the political spectrum.

You might want to check out the NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. It gets a bad rap on these forums but I thought it was great and you might like it - it's basically a D&D rules dungeon crawl with a world map that you explore and find random encounters/hidden dungeons/etc, but it's focused on creating your own party of six characters instead of recruiting fleshed-out NPC companions with dialog. Don't expect much from the story or dialog, but if you like D&D combat/character building and like the idea of creating your own adventuring party, it's my favorite game of the type. Temple of Elemental Evil is another great (if you download unofficial patches) game in a similar style, but it can be pretty brutal if you're not familiar with D&D. Icewind Dale 2 (I never played the first) is another great game like this if you want something in the Infinity Engine.

FTL is a spaceship roguelike (with graphics) where you recruit a crew who really have no personality other than being different alien species, and they often die. You can get pretty attached to them anyway.

E: Maybe Cart Life which is basically a Poor Person Simulator where you run a small business like a newspaper stand, you'll have regular customers who you'll get to know by name and you chat with them every day when they come by and learn about them, but they're not the focus of the game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 12, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The Uncharted series is really well liked on the PS3. I'm not sure which ones in particular are the best though.

I can only speak for the first, but this really sounds like exactly what he's not looking for. Lots of cutscenes peppered by a few mediocre, linear action sequences here and there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any decent single player games with MMO type combat? And by MMO combat, I mean WoW style, real-time-with-global-cooldown combat.

You might like Aarklash: Legacy. It plays like WoW except you control the entire party (of four characters) and can pause the game to issue orders. Here's a video that shows what the combat is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-N0M5zFh8

It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for, except it's fairly challenging and since you control the entire party, it's not quite real-time because you will have to pause.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Not really sure if this is the best place to post this (and if it's :files: I'll delete it) But does anyone know a good place/way to play Drugwars? I don't have a TI-82 anymore and playing it through DOSBox is annoying.

Here's a rom of the original direct from the website of the guy who made it to go along with an Emulator from the bottom of this page if that's your kind of thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Outside of the big series like Halo, not really. The only game I've ever wished I had a 360 for was Shadow Complex.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Crysis 2 or 3.

Seconding Crysis 2, that game made me feel like the Predator. I never played 3, it might be just as good at the same shtick.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't actually played it, but there's a mobile City Builder series named Virtual City that was supposed to be more of a 'real' city builder and not a microtransaction-laden waiting-game. From what I understand, VC1 had a Sandbox mode which was a classic City Builder kind of game, and also a bunch of missions. The second game didn't have the sandbox mode. The third game (Virtual City Playground) did, and as some sort of marketing bullshit they removed Sandbox mode from the first game to promote the third. If you can track down an old copy of VC1 and it doesn't auto-update, I think it's more or less exactly what you're looking for. I don't know anything about Virtual City Playground other than some app store reviews say it's "not as good as VC1 Sandbox".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is great. The first game was "ok". It's not a bad series, the only bad entry was The Cartel which wasn't even a real Call of Juarez game and was instead about modern day drug wars or something.

Bound in Blood is one of the best singleplayer FPS ever, it came out at a time when the singleplayer FPS was dying down and being replaced by the COD4-era multiplayer shooter and I feel like it was the last "great" singleplayer FPS. I liked BiB even more than Gunslinger (or rather; I was disappointed with Gunslinger because it wasn't another BiB). If you liked anything about Gunslinger beyond the narration mechanic (which doesn't appear in BiB) you should play Bound in Blood. It did pretty much everything except the presentation of the story better than Gunslinger did.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for singleplayer PC games that can be played with minimal input over a long period of time.

A good example of what I'm looking for is Defcon on its real-time mode; a game that's played start to finish over the course of an entire real-time day that doesn't slow down or pause when you're not actually playing.

I would love some kind of extremely-slow paced city-builder. I'm not really looking for "idle" games, more of a real game that I can run in to the background while working on other tasks. Any ideas that aren't completely input-free like Progress Quest?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have Godus and while I guess it's true that I could leave it running all day, there's not anything to do in the game besides what you manually do; place houses, move terrain around, etc. The only thing that happens while you're not actually touching the game is that resources go up. Your villages don't expand or grow on their own, your population doesn't actually do anything. Anno is a great game but it has the same problem for me as Godus. I guess what I really want is a game where things happen even when I'm not playing - not just negative things, but positive things too - that I can tab over to and make some long-term decisions or something from time to time.

Browser games like OGame are kind of cool and close to what I want, but my major concern with them is that they're focused around PVP/diplomacy metagame. I would prefer something singleplayer where I don't have to worry about other players.

CK2 is a great suggestion. I have it but I've never been able to get in to it because of the learning curve, this sounds like a good opportunity to learn it.

I thought of another great example of what I'm looking for: Distant Worlds, the real-time 4x space game where you can automate every facet of your empire. I can leave it running in the background and tab in every once in a while to make a decision about what planet to colonize, who to trade with, who to attack, or where to explore and let the AI handle the rest.

I'm have a hard time explaining exactly what I'm looking for. I just started a new job and I'm working from home doing relatively easy, mundane work and I want something singleplayer that I can play absentmindedly throughout the day for a few seconds at a time when I need a break, something that still progresses when I'm away but that isn't completely idle/zeroplayer. A roguelike that plays itself but I make decisions about how the character levels up, a citybuilder where the city expands on its own and I just make high-level policy changes, an RPG where I manage the party and their equipment but they adventure on their own. Something like that would be ideal.

As much as it might complicate things I'm looking for a 'real' game that does this, not a mobile/browser game full of microtransactions to speed things up.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 4, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

^^^ Screen Cheat is the only second-person game I've ever seen. Well, some parts of Siren I guess.

We're losing steam on Diablo 3. We need a game to catch us in the same way - local coop, dolly dressup, super long challenge curve, stuff like that. Like a local MMO kind of. Or hell, any other type of games too as long as they're local and have some sort of character persistence. Anything out there?

Since you like D3, how about games like it? D3 has the most satisfying combat, but Marvel Heroes and Path of Exile are the other top tier choices. Marvel Heroes has the best character design, you get to play as all kinds of superheroes and supervillains and they all actually feel like the character they're based on, it's a lot of fun to unlock a new hero and see how they play. Path of Exile is the best as far as itemization, currency and barter go - it's got the economy of D2 over a solid ARPG skeleton and is the most like D2 out of the three, but character building may be too complex for a group and the dull visuals don't help. Both MH and PoE are free to play.

e: I really can't stress enough that Marvel Heroes is a good game now. It was rough and rocky at launch but has undergone a few complete overhauls and has a few years of patching and added content now. Anyone who likes ARPGs or superheroes owes it to themselves to try it out. It's my favorite of the Big 3 ARPGs and I say that as someone with hundreds of hours logged in D3. It even has WoW-esque raids at the end-game if your group is dedicated enough for that, but I haven't done them so I can't comment on if they're any fun.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 5, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Len posted:

Anyone know anything about this game Deadnaut? It looks like it could be neat. The website has a demo but everytime I download it I get "The installation files are corrupt" and that makes me feel wary about giving the guy money (although it could just be my end)

This game is incredibly unique and it's going to be hard to write any kind of easy explanation. I haven't tried the demo, not sure about your technical issues.

It's kind of cool, but I've really struggled with it and haven't even completed the first (randomly generated) mission yet. If you played the dev's previous game, Zafehouse Diaries, you should kind of know what to expect. It plays more like an RTS than Zafehouse, where you are moving your five crew members around derelict ships in real-time. You have limited control over the actual combat - your role in combat is generally about setting up ambushes and moving to better positions, and using special abilities (shields, rockets, and... something else, I forget).

It's overwhelmingly a game about oppressive atmosphere and tension, the whole thing is designed to make you feel like some kind of sci-fi special teams "handler" using ancient, malfunctioning technology to guide your team through derelict, alien-filled spaceships - the inefficiencies of your tools (e.g. your screen loses reception and floods with white noise, you might lose contact with your team for a couple minutes, you don't have good visual feedback on what's going on, etc.) are really your main antagonist, and I think the game does a great job of really making the distinction that you are not intended to be playing the boots on the ground, but rather some kind of commander sitting at base and sending your soldiers off on what you know are suicide missions.

You creep through derelicts, investigating corpses to gather Knowledge (currency), fighting aliens (I'll I've seen are Xenomorph-type melee aliens, but I know there are others that are more intelligent and tactical), hacking the ship to control doors and power level for rooms (e.g. reroute power to the greenhouse so there is less power available for the turrets in the next room - and the hacking does have its own AI sysadmin opponents working against you), destroying alien objects and trying to achieve some kind of mission (e.g. reach the Bridge and download the Ship's Log, then escape).

It has what seems like a very steep learning curve and I've barely scratched the surface, but if it sounds interesting and you're willing to put in the time, it should be a good purchase for $9. I never really got in to Zafehouse but I know that it was rather well received around here and I'm pretty sure this game will be too. Be prepared to die constantly, treat it like a Roguelike in that regard.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 12, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone name more games with power curves similar to Binding of Isaac, where you can either be pitifully weak or absurdly powerful and cover the screen in lasers and explosions?

I'm not looking for a game where I just ramp up in power, but some kind of roguelike or rogue-lite where I end up at a different power level with different abilities available to me each time I play (preferably not chosen by me, otherwise I will always pick the 'strongest' option). I want each playthrough to be feast or famine and when I'm feasting, I want it to be because I got a whole lot of dazzling powers that aren't normally available to me.

I've played a handful of Rogue-Lites and the only one I found that matches Isaac's ridiculous power fluctuation is Risk of Rain. I've been playing Teleglitch lately and really enjoying it, but you seem to always get the same items in the same place, eliminating the randomization of the power curve.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played a little bit of Ziggurat and from what I can remember It didn't emulate the aspects of Isaac that I'm going for here: there were only a handful of weapons, none of them seemed absurdly powerful, you feel pretty much the same between one playthrough and the next.

I don't really understand the Isaac comparison; it's more of a straight-up arcade FPS with balanced weapons and dungeon-style arenas. If that's changed I'll check it out again but it still looks the same as when I played it.

e: That being said, I'm not necessarily looking for games that play similarly to Binding of Isaac, I'm just looking for games with wildly fluctuating levels of player power that I'm in limited control over in the same way BoI handled it. I'm looking for games where the way my character behaves changes drastically from playthrough to playthrough, or level to level or whatnot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 13, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think FTL is a good fit either. There are only a handful of weapon types (laser, bomb, missile, beam, laser that shoots more times, missile that shoots more times, etc) , the weapon types I have don't change the way I approach combat, there are no big changes in gameplay or the player unit's behavior between one game and the next. I like FTL but it doesn't scratch the itch I'm looking for in the same way that BoI or Risk of Rain do.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

aarstar posted:

Any recommendations for a game that's like an offline MMORPG (e.g. WoW). I've played a bit of Xenoblade but was wondering what else is out there for PC or last gen consoles (and WiiU). Thanks.

Edit: I guess I mean open world RPG that has leveling, crafting, bosses and such.

The new Dragon Age is exactly that, with bonus optional multiplayer dungeon crawls (completely separate from the singleplayer component in every way other than storyline tie-ins). It's actually a fun game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681488

e: I completely slept on it until a few days ago because I figured there was no way a new Dragon Age could be good.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 18, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks for reminding me about Alter Ego, I can't wait to die of malaria at the age of 6 again.

e: Wait, Alter Ego's not the one I was thinking of. I was thinking of a game where you're born in to a random family in a random part of the world and you live out your life based on real (I think?) data about your homeland, finding love, getting married, getting a job, making investments and maybe going to school, having children, etc. all in tune with what someone really born in to that family would do. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Found it, it was Real Lives:
http://www.educationalsimulations.com/

It costs $30 and there doesn't seem to be a demo for the newest version (RealLives2010), but I found a fileplanet link to an old version of the demo:
http://www.fileplanet.com/120606/download/Real-Lives-Demo
(will not run on a modern OS, but the website says 2010 will)

I remember the demo itself being a lot of fun and I think it was almost feature complete, with some stuff like being able to choose where you're born only being available if you played. You should check it out if you have any interest in Life Sim games but also everyone should play it because it's fun and educational.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

I need a space combat game where I can control a big fuckoff battleship. I tried X3 and the busywork to explosions ratio is a little high for my tastes.

May not be exactly what you're looking for but I love both of these games because you get to control spaceships with increasingly devastating armaments. Your battleships in both of these games are big in the sense that they have massively overwhelming firepower rather than physical size of the ship. They're also both 2D and top-down so sorry if that's not what you're looking for!

Starsector is an incredibly fun game with tons of cool weapons to customize your ship with and an active modding scene adding in new ships and weapons. You start off with a small ship and build/upgrade a fleet as you go along, and some of the bigger ships can get relatively enormous with tons of weapon mounts:

Boss Constructor is currently 25% off on Steam ($13.50) and is a slower-paced top-down single-ship space where every ship is made of modular blocks which can be shot off, collected, and added to your own ship. The ships don't get completely enormous (yet?) but you can balance energy generation/firepower/armor/movement/etc. however you want. My ship is pretty much a big armored Borg cube that vomits missiles in every direction. The editor is very easy to use and allows you to modify keybinds on the fly while editing your ship, so you can tie specific functions or group of functions to any key you want. There's a whole lot of possible depth in the editor but not enough content yet to make it necessary.

Fair warning: Both of these games are still in development, but both are completely playable. Starsector was a little short on content last time I played but an active modding community had addressed that. Boss Constructor is very short on content but it has received over 50 updates since EA started 3 months ago - they're small but rapid. I'm not sure if I would say Boss Constructor has enough content to buy if you're looking for a game to sink dozens of hours in to right now, but Starsector is definitely worth the price if you look in to mods.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2015

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend some good, recent (2010+) PC games that aren't and haven't been on Steam? I haven't even looked at non-steam PC releases for years. I have 7 games on my Desura account and most of them are on Steam, too.

Genre isn't important, I'm just looking for standout games that I've missed by only looking at Steam for new releases.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for PC Party-based RPGs that meet these criteria:

• Full party customization (all custom, player-made characters)
  • Minimal storytelling/"questing" (I'm serious, even Temple of Elemental Evil has more text than I want to wade through)
  • Character development with lots of choices - ideally with some skills that benefit the party outside of combat. Lots of classes, races, skills etc. to pick from.
  • Lots of (or interesting) loot
  • Some dungeons and poo poo I can crawl through, I don't know
  • Interface isn't too archaic/clumsy

I don't really care about perspective/battle system (I'm fine with anything in the style of Wizardry, Infinity Engine, Fire Emblem, JRPGs... whatever). I'm mostly after the aspect of creating a team and then getting progressively stronger while delving into progressively more dangerous dungeons, finding loot and deciding who gets to equip it. I'm okay with some dialog but I feel like it should serve a functional purpose (unlock a door, reveal something on the map, progress a quest mechanically, provide an opportunity for skill checks) and avoid exposition as much as possible. I don't want to have to think about and figure out quests or track down the right person to talk to about something or spend long periods of time running across a map so I can talk to them, I want to bash skeletons' heads in, collect experience and loot, and face more challenging foes. I don't want to ever have to think about where I need to head next because the answer should always be "deeper into the dungeon" or "on to the next dungeon".

Games like this I like:
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (Yeah, the expansion that everyone else hated. It's the perfect example of what I'm looking for)
Etrian Odyssey
Heroes of a Broken Land

Games that are sort of a little bit like this that I like:
X-Com (no character development)
XCOM (really limited character development/loot)
FTL (no character development for the little dudes, I guess I can develop my ship but then the game's not party-based)
Darkest Dungeon (no choices to make in character development/bad loot system)
All roguelikes ever (not party-based)

Games that would be perfect if they had less dialog/story/quests:
Temple of Elemental Evil
Divinity: Original Sin
Icewind Dale
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Fallout 1/2
Dragon Age Origins

Games that sound right but I just don't like:
Jagged Alliance 2 - I can't get in to the aesthetic or setting, too much story/walking around talking to people, just doesn't click with me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

All of this guy's games are exactly this. You should at least download the demo of Demise: Ascension.

Hell yes, many hours spent playing Mordor in my childhood were what got me always looking for more games like this. I'm just going to outright buy Demise, I haven't heard of it before.

I've always wanted to like Wizardry but the games always felt so esoteric and offputting, I always read about how confusing they are and how you kind of need a guide (I prefer to play these games without any kind of guide on how to build my party). I have Wizardry 8 on GOG and it's already installed so I'll consider putting the effort in to it if nothing else sticks.

Dragons Dogma is a good game that I liked enough to beat but doesn't really scratch the itch I'm looking for, I like the tactical complexity that comes from having a large party with lots of decisions to make during character growth, DD only let me develop two of my characters and was also very limited in how unique I could actually make their builds.

I like Aarklash Legacy, the battles are perfect (I really like the whole singleplayer, pausable MMO combat thing), I never beat it and forgot about it so I'll have to give it a go again sometime soon!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have and really like Battle Brothers but I put it down a couple months ago until it's been updated a bit more - not because it needs it but because the updates are coming so drat fast!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Sounds a lot like Legend of Grimrock. There are a lot of puzzles and some pixel-hunting, but there's really no dialogue other than pieces of paper and writing on the walls (both of which are usually clues to puzzles). Grimrock 2 has some lore stuff associated with it, but it's a massive game compared to the first, with an expansive overworld. The bundle for both of them is currently 70% off for 9½ more hours!

The game controls almost exactly like Eye of the Beholder, so I guess it's archaic/clumsy. :shrug:

I played and liked the first LoG but I remember being a little underwhelmed in the amount/variety of loot, does the second one spice it up a little in that regard? I've been on the fence about picking it up for a while.

Also while we're at it, I played and loved Might and Magic X already.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's also Hero Siege, which is basically Twinstick Binding of Diablo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVPNluWO84I

I've probably got more hours played per dollar spent out of this game than just about anything else.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone recommend games that are cheap (Like $5-10 or less) for 3-player internet co-op on PC?

Either something designed for 3 players or where we won't be disadvantaged without a 4th.

Nothing competitive or where we play against other players.

The two friends I'm playing with are not big gamers but we're not looking for 'casual' games, one is bad at videogames and the other is okay, nothing that's super hard or complex.

Has to be pausable or turn-based or have plenty of downtime

No traditional MMOs

We can only voice chat sometimes

Games we've played:
Trine (great)
Civilization (fun, but too much time spent waiting on the one guy who's hella slow to make decisions)
Alien Swarm (cool)
Hero Siege (fun)
Risk of Rain (fun)
Dawn of War 2
Magicka (It was fun but one of the players is so bad at videogames that he mostly just killed us over and over and felt bad)
Diablo 3 (and we're burned out on ARPGs now)
Starbound (had lots of issues getting multiplayer working when we tried yesterday and gave up)
Don't Starve Together (none of us are in to these survival-type games)

Games we're considering (we're cheap and can only afford 1-2)
Terraria
Monaco
Running with Rifles

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a similar game called Dreadnought that might fit the bill but it doesn't take place entirely in space (actually last time I played there were no space maps in but they're in the trailers and stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3AVXth73A

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is that really all? Nothing more free-form? There ought to be way more out there other than that and the Gangsters series.

The mafia genre is kind of like westerns; really underrepresented in video games and I don't know why. Strategy games are also unfortunately a pretty niche genre these days. Mafia 2 is worth checking out if you're really in to the setting but it's by no means a strategy game and is mostly a period-appropriate driving simulator with a storyline and occasional shooting. Outside of Omerta and Gangsters I don't think you'll find a mafia-themed strategy game but if you have a playstation and can handle wacky japanese things you might like the Yakuza series which is really more of a life simulator of a guy in a japanese mafia anime and a (good) roleplaying game with beat-em-up combat. If you can handle simple graphics and obtuse mechanics there's also Liberal Crime Squad which is an incredible, if esoteric roguelike about managing an extremist left-wing crime syndicate, there's a ton of freedom and it's a rather in-depth strategy game, but instead of using a mafia setting it uses goofy arch-liberal hippie hackers to steal money from banks while an army of hired prostitutes with their own backstories and influences sell mushrooms for you at the park and your squad of elite anarcho-street-punks kidnap rich conservatives, hold them hostage and 'interrogate' them for nefarious purposes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To stretch it a bit further, have you played the Genesis Shadowrun game?

It's sort of a single-unit RTS RPG (with two AI-controlled allied units), and it's about cyberpunk crime. It's also one of the best games of all time :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's my best PC option if I just want to be a lonely space merchant? Elite looks cool but I'm more interested in trading than flight and combat, I want something more like Pirates!, except in space.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The X series is kind of notorious for its learning curve and that always scared me off, how much of that would I have to deal with if I just want to be a space trucker?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battle Brothers freakin' rules, for the record.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played all of the classic Infinity Engine games, NWN 1&2, Divinity:OS, and Wasteland 2. What are my other options for party-based RPGs with complex character development? I love the perk overload of D&D and I want games where there's a million choices I can make with multiple party members as they level up. I've also played Might & Magic X, both Grimrock games, and Starcrawlers.

I can't really get in to Pillars of Eternity, I'm more interested in character development and combat than story and PoE's combat and levelups feel bland and underwhelming.

I always go back to the NWN2 expansion Storm of Zehir as my ideal game because there are tons of character development choices that you can make for purely roleplaying reasons that find ways to manifest in the gameplay, you have a billion classes and feats because it's NWN2 and it's the kind of story-lite explore-the-dungeons D&D I played with my friends instead of the narrative-focused book-with-gameplay-attached D&D that most PC RPGs emulate.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

johnny park posted:

What are some games that have good exploration and really reward that exploration by finding interesting/rare/unique items or materials or a really tough enemy or whatever? The Witcher 3 does this phenomenally, and so does the STALKER series. I'm not looking for like a loot grind or dungeon crawler necessarily. I've played most of the big modern RPGs (Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, etc). It doesn't have to be fantasy or even an RPG, as long as it encourages and rewards fun exploration.

Grim Dawn is full of this but it is a loot-based dungeon crawler. The world is enormous and full of little twists and turns and dead ends that hide optional dungeons, bosses, treasure chests that explode into loot showers, NPCs that can be rescued and sent to live in the villages and optional quests. It's pretty story-heavy for an ARPG and a a fair amount of the rewards are lore-related (picking up audio logs kind of stuff), but there's also a separate character progression system based entirely on finding shrines hidden in the world.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 26, 2016

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any games that are like XCOM or Darkest Dungeon except I don't actually have to play out the combat? Something like just the Geoscape from XCOM where I manage my bases and resources and research and put together squads of soldiers to send on missions which they complete on their own would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ulio posted:

total war

Total War is cool and this is how I usually play them (auto-resolve combat) but so much of the focus of those games is on the actual combat that they always end up feeling a little shallow as purely empire management games.

Malt posted:

It's old, but Majesty sounds like what you're looking for. You manage a town and collect resources why setting up quest for NPC's to complete.

I love Majesty and have played a lot of Majesty 1, but I heard mixed things about Majesty 2. Ideally I'd like something that plays out as a long campaign instead of individual missions, though.

A big part of what I'm looking for is developing, equipping and getting attached to my characters, and getting sad when I lose them. I love games like XCOM/X-Com, Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, etc. and I even enjoy the combat in them, but I always find myself saving and exiting when I have to do a third combat segment in a row without much geoscape/overworld interaction, and I always find myself wanting to continue on the geoscape a little longer when a mission pops up. I like the macro management of a squad of soldiers but would prefer it without the micro management of what they do each turn in battle.

Cantorsdust posted:

For XCOM look into XcomUtil which does have an AutoCombat feature to automatically resolve combat. I've been arguing that Open XCOM needs to implement such a feature for a long time, but no one's interested in doing so.

Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 patches also have an auto resolve feature.

Hell yeah, I had no idea that either JA2 or X-Com had auto-resolve combat. That's the stuff. Are they actually viable to play with automatic combat or is it the kind of thing that's intended to be used sparingly when you just don't feel like doing a mission?