Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I was posting in the Before I Play thread about Pillars of Eternity (it's my first old school-esque CRPG), and got some lukewarm responses about it like:

quote:

That might just be the only way to enjoy it, sad as it is. Pillars is designed to be exactly like the kind of game that people loved when it was new in the 90s. It has no appreciation whatsoever for the fact that literally 90% of people who will ever play the game have seen absolutely all of this before.

Which is totally fair, PoE is fun.. but good not great. I'm looking for the Greatest Hits of CRPGs to add to my pile of poo poo to play during COVID times. I've looked through reddit and some IGN type "best of the best" lists.

So far on my schedule is:
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)
  • Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • new(ish) Shadowrun series
  • UnderRail
  • Baldur's Gate 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)

I don't mind older games as long as they run properly on Windows 10. Preferably fantasy but any genre is fine. Any others stand out that should be in this pile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I actually prefer turn based stuff rather than the real time that PoE has. RT combat felt sloppy and chaotic in an unfun way.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Fruits of the sea posted:

That’s a pretty good list, and yeah the Fallout games should probably be in it. It’s not old school, but Disco Elysium is already the classic successor to Planescape.

Played it several times, loved it. It's essentially a perfect game but I was looking for something with more crunchy gameplay over narrative.

Adding all the stuff that gets recommended here to Isthereanydeal and going to snap them up when on sale, thanks to all who reply!

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, Geneforge is good, and frankly I preferred the Avernum games over Avadon too. But all of Spiderweb Software's output is oldschool-style CRPGs, so if you see something in there that looks interesting, you might well want to snap it up. There's also a dedicated thread for that company, where you can ask for recommendations.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I assumed these were all old timey 90s-rear end games that were ported to work with steam. But the guy is stuck in a time warp, churning out ancient style RPGs for decades with the same formula. Sold!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're doing yourself dirty here. Just read a plot synopsis and move on

WRT to this, can I just jump into BG2 and DOS2 in the same way and not really feel like I missed much at all?

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Any recommendations for games like Nioh 1/2?

Specifically - I'm in the mood for something (preferably an Adventure/RPG) with absurd systems on systems on systems.

Things like this that I enjoyed:
  • Nioh 1/2
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Infinity Engine RPGs and their modern -alikes (although I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
  • Good Immersive Sims (I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
Things like this I didn't enjoy:
  • Path of Exile
  • Crusader Kings/Stellaris/Grand Strategy in general
  • Thigs that are complicated because they aren't explained (looking at you, Deadly Premonition, Hellpoint, etc)

Complex system games I've liked but don't really fit the bill as actiony/rpg: Dwarf Fortress, Qud, Eve online.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

grate deceiver posted:

There was this jrpg with absurd gun kata acrobatics, gun crafting and a weird tile-laying system on the world map, someone help me out with a name?

Also, Persona games? Front Mission?

I think Japanese games in general tend to have a lot more layered mechanics and weird gameplay ideas

Good call, there's an ocean of JRPGs out there I havent really dug into!

e: was it Resonance of Fate?

Yup - has to be, that's way too specific. Just took a while to find the gameplay trailer. FWIW that game is what comes up if you start googling things like "games with absurd systems" or something to that effect, so it rang a bell :v:

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 25, 2021

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

deep dish peat moss posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/924070/Arboria/
Left Early Access this year and currently on sale for $15
That looks cool as hell, thanks. Price is right, too!

& thanks to the other suggestions up-thread, got Heat Sig, Resonance of Fate, and Troubleshooter.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I really liked Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldur's gate 3. This has caused me to dip into a genre that I have never really played before: Turn Based Tactics. It's essentially bite-sized turn based CRPG fights. Gimme that distilled CRPG battle.

My first abortive attempt into this a few years back was with Into the Breach. It almost felt like it was too tightly designed if that makes sense. It felt like playing a game of Solitaire and making sure that I was ensuring the BEST turns each round. It put me off the genre until I played BG3.

I'm looking for TBT games that allow for improvisation, customization or have flexible enough systems that allow for such. Preferably with a 3D \ multidimensional battleground.

the ones I've tried that I really love have been:
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Persona 5 Tactica
  • TROUBLESHOOTER - Abandoned Children - this one is tightly designed but the absurd amount of systems involved allowed for crazy customization

Ones that I've like the mechanics of, but wish weren't the genre they are \ have no space to navigate within the battlefield:
  • Darkest Dungeon - like Into the Breach, too tightly constructed and no depth of positioning
  • Monster Train - mechanically perfect, but a deckbuilder
  • Trails of Cold Steel - loved the combat, do not want a hundred hour RPG attached
  • Nu-Shadowrun series - see above WRT RPG

Please let me know what other, if any TBT games fit this bill!

E: i'm okay with any vintage of game given that it's not heinous to interact with. Preferably PC, but i have an Ipad and PS5 as well.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 28, 2024

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Kennel posted:

While I don't necessarily agree all design choices with XCOM Chimera Squad, it's neat to have an XCOM game where you can focus only on the tactical battles and the home base strategy doesn't matter all that much (you have choices, but they can't really ruin your campaign). It's also different enough to make it worth playing even if it's not as good as the main series.

I didn't mind the Base-Building mechanics in Troubleshooter or XCOM, in the former, it allowed for even more flexibility during the battles

E: Invisible Inc looks cool as hell

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 28, 2024

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Thank you for all the recs, I'll plug them into ITAD and look through them. Much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Awesome thanks!

Of these, which would you recommend as a first try to gauge whether I'll like the dev's stuff?