Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Are there any games that have a campaign with a meta-map like Rise of Nations and Dark Crusade? RTSes or turn based stuff are both fine. I just want something where I can play individual maps and gain persistent advantages as I conquer more territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yes, yes, absolutely yes.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone. Company of Heroes isn't really my thing but I've never played a Total War game so this might be a good time to try one.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Does God Hand count?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you've ever played Caesar or Pharaoh or Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, it feels a lot like those.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm probably the only person that thinks this but you shouldn't play the director's cut version if you happen to own the old one. The director's cut inserts the DLC into the game as a mandatory section and the DLC is abysmal.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you played Skulls of the Shogun? It's turn based tactics and I had a lot of fun with it. Many of the missions are probably beatable in 15 minutes if you play fast, and you can save at any time so multiple sessions per mission isn't a problem. Plus, nothing carries over between levels so if you put it down halfway through a battle and pick it up a few days later, all you need to do to get back up to speed is survey the map for a minute and see where you left it. Also it's in a bundle right now so you can get it on the cheapo!

Frozen Synapse is also a very good turn based tactics game. Similarly self-contained battles. Single player turns go by reasonably quickly and the multiplayer is asynchronous, seems like a good fit for short sessions.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 29, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most people in the SA thread seem to like it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not a Minecraft guy myself but this definitely sounds like a job for Minecraft.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It can do 6, so that's also a good choice.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Left 4 Dead 2, that is. You can play the first game's campaigns in it, so there's basically no point to the original anymore.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you want some stuff in the vein of Bejeweled, Gyromancer and Might & Magic Clash of Heroes are both pretty fun thing-matchers. The former is like Bejeweled Twist but with monster fights, the latter is like... AstroPop I guess?

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky and such are good for podcasts too, though they require a bit too much visual attention for you to be able to watch TV.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ahundredbux posted:

also its party based

Really, in this sort of game, you're not so much playing a party as you are playing one dude with several dicks, some of which are wizards.

Video Games Hot Dog taught me that and it helped me get over my aversion to controlling a party all at once in first person like that.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Splatoon.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Do you happen to have a relatively recent nVidia graphics card? GeForce Experience has a streaming function that you can set up to let people send inputs like that.

It's hot garbage, but so is anything else that'll let you do this in my experience.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have an urge to play a shop/merchant game, a la Recettear. Any suggestions?

This is more of a stretch than the other stuff people have suggested so far, but Cook, Serve, Delicious.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Valkyria Chronicles is also pretty good, though it has some mission design problems, and I've heard a lot of praise for Divinity: Original Sin.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jehde posted:

UT4 is in what seems like an eternal alpha

It's good though! Kind of low on players in the US compared to the EU from what I've heard, and most of the maps have placeholder graphics, but it's Unreal Tournament through and through.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

New Vegas is only good if you like poo poo design and cover for it calling it "the classic rpg experience". gently caress Cazadores. If all Obsidian did was make quests, they'd make a great Fallout game.

New Vegas is good if you don't run off like a dipshit and only go places where you have a reason to go and aren't "straight to Vegas" since that's... impractical. That's why I didn't really like it the first time I played it, as Fallout 3 had recently instilled in me a strong desire to run off like a dipshit. Cazadores are an awkward way to railroad you but as long as you don't try to resist the railroading too hard, New Vegas is a fun time. I paid a man to spread flattering lies about me and ever since then Elvis impersonators flag me down in the street every five minutes to hand me corn.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sleeping Dogs is a great game and has some good Triad action if he doesn't mind being an undercover cop.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I rather like the crowded underground settlements and desolate surface in the Metro series, if you haven't played those. They're definitely interspersed with some less than interesting subway tunnels, though.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Hm yes don't discount this game until you've played 20-40 hours of it, and don't you dare summon help for probably the most heavily co-oped boss, lest you play the game wrong and end up with the wrong opinions.

A lot of people bounce off Dark Souls and end up loving it when they come back to it later but "Don't give up until two thirds of the way through the game, and make sure you fight the hardest boss solo" is pretty laughable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you do give Dark Souls another shot, see if you can find a patient friend who's really good at the game and have them join you for coop. It's a lot trickier to coordinate coop with friends in DS1 than it should be but they could tear the game in half for you while you focus on exploration and items.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

You're focusing on the fact that dark souls has lots of world lore and details in its loot, but that's not at all what he's asking for as far as I can tell.

Perhaps more to the point, I'm focusing on "I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.", and that plus Fashion Souls and weapons with different movesets might be enough to qualify. Mostly I can't think of any other games that fit that quote, at least not ones that aren't made by Taro Yoko and thus not fit for human consumption.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Immortal Defense. That game owns.

For future reference, there's (for some reason) two threads for helping people remember the names of games.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I know it wasn't one of the options but I want to give a shoutout to Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom as it's my personal favorite and nobody seems to remember it exists whenever the city building series comes up. Just needs an easily applied widescreen patch and it's still great fun.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Are you into arena shooters at all? The new Unreal Tournament that's in development (but perfectly playable) is great if you liked the old UTs.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ahundredbux posted:

Hots gets you (at the very least at lower levels of play) straight into fighting other dudes which is the real fun part of any moba

rip bloodline champions

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

too good for this world

APPARENTLY NOT. We summoned it!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Seconding Metal Gear Rising, with two pieces of advice that it's good to have when first playing that game:

- Make sure to buy the dodge move ("Defensive Offense") as soon as you're out of the prologue
- Take the game seriously when it says parrying is important. If you're having trouble with it, make sure you're letting the stick go to neutral before doing towards+light attack

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Like hampig said if you're into a digital CCG then hearthstone is the way to go, I don't play much but its essentially digital magic the gathering and its very slick. The collecting is very strong.

If you want literal Magic the Gathering you could play Magic Duels, the new(ish) free to play version of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games. The presentation and engine are abysmal compared to Hearthstone, though, so I wouldn't recommend it until you're already bored of that.

Honorable mention goes to Spellweaver which is a genuinely good card game that nobody plays. It's got the more complex, satisfying mechanics of a Magic the Gathering combined with the generous free to play and Arena mode of Hearthstone.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Last Expr-EDIT: Dangit

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you don't mind it being old and really low-rent, I had my fun with Typer Shark as a kid. Most of the game is just typing random words to stop sharks from getting you but it's cartoony, not really violent. There are also typing tests where you have to type longer paragraphs and such. I remember it having a good spread of difficulty settings too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

khy posted:

Easier said than done because A) His mother's an ultra-devout mormon, B) His father died a bit over a week ago and so the whole family is walking around on eggshells, and C) His uncle (Me) is a horrible person who games too much and has set a bad example by not getting married before 30.

Well for what it's worth I booted up Typer Shark again since being reminded of it made me nostalgic and it has a bunch of typing tutorials that try to teach you where to put your fingers, as well as the wide array of difficulty settings I remembered it having. As long as he doesn't have a severe shark phobia it's very kid-appropriate, the worst violence in it is a cartoon dust cloud and some biting sounds.

Also I had just sort of assumed it wouldn't be on Steam for some reason but it totally is. Even has a demo.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 28, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's still Armageddon. Going on 17 years.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Keep em coming. Anything good that has little to no story in the last decade.

Downwell is a very fun game to just pick up and play. Fall down a well, stomp on enemies, shoot guns outcha boots.

Devil Daggers didn't seem like my thing so I can't vouch for it but it's a similar sort of instant action and people seem to like it. It's kind of like if Quake was an arcade game.

Völgarr the Viking is a fun but rather difficult action platformer with the only story I recall being a page of text in the credits.

Similarly I think all of the story in Rogue Legacy up to the final boss is in journal entries you can find and promptly ignore. It's also an action platformer but the levels are randomly generated and you get to switch to a descendant every time you die, with persistent upgrades.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, if we're recommending bullet hells, Crimzon Clover is a great one. No plot, also has an easy mode.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is also rather Soulsy.

Brainamp posted:

1. Beat Soma recently, any other good horror games in that vein that aren't amnesia or outlast?

If you don't mind the unimpressive graphics you could go back and play Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague, they're what the Amnesia devs made before Amnesia.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Downwell.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know but you should play Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
There's a mod for the new Shadowrun games called Shadowrun Unlimited that does endless missions. Haven't played it but it seems expansive and well-received.