Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Forgedbow posted:

Also, LA Noire, which feels like a low-key GTA clone written by Joseph Wambaugh James Ellroy.

I'm not so sure it holds much in common with GTA. It is a much more directed experience, with simple driving sections and brief action scenes.

It's more of an 'open' world adventure game, with light point and click style mechanics and an interesting interview system. Nonetheless, it contains some fantastic narrative arcs (which are way better than most GTA), and a nice level of characterization, which is further emphasised by the superb production values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I really love games that I can complete within a few hours and not feel cheated. I'm often strapped for time and I can't see the benefit of plugging hours into a game nowadays. Sad, but true. :( I'm on the hunt for narrative focused, complete experiences that can be played in an evening. (3/4 hours.)

Here's the games I've played - and loved - in this style:

• Bastion
  • Brothers
  • Gone Home
  • Hotline Miami
  • Portal
  • Telltale games

Any suggestions? I'm not too fussed by genre at all.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

You can now play FTL in a browser... Sounds like that might hit the spot for you?

(I'm sure you're familiar with FTL as you mentioned rogue likes!)

I'm looking for some games that I can play while listening to podcasts? Any genre, really. I'm looking for that sweet spot where I can be just engaged enough to be having fun, but not mindlessly swiping / clicking at stuff.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, Viscrea Cleanup Detail looks INSANE. I'm loving their website too.

Locked in. Thanks for the recommendation.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm on a 7hr flight to New York next week and would like to get stuck into a meaty game on my iPad. My favoured genres are RPGs, turn based strategies and adventure games. (All games that lend themselves well to touchscreen.)

I've been out of the loop for a while on the gaming scene, but have previously enjoyed The Banner Saga, FTL and Xcom.

I'm using a second generation iPad Air, so has to be fairly low-fi in terms of graphics.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks guys! So, I picked up Invisible Inc, Ticket to Earth and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Should keep me occupied there and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

5thMouseButton posted:

XBOX One recommendations family & never-played-a-console-game-before-types can play? Preferably coop.

Think grandma that hasn't played anything since Mario on the NES and even then she was awful.

You can get all of the Jackbox Party Packs on XBox. They're essentially party games where everybody logs in on their phones. I'd say Drawful and Fibbage from the first pack are the highlights.

Also, Overcooked may work well. It's a simple co-op arcade game where you have to work together to cook food. Yup.