Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for something like Minecraft or Terraria but isn't. I want the building stuff, but more focus on grinding and mining and what not. I've tried the Technic pack and loved it, but after 200 hours, I've gotten bored, I really hope someone can recommend something better.

Afterthought: Also, are there any games that allow you to play a kind of FPS/RTS hybrid? Like there is a commander, but the units and stuff he commands are actual people?

rizuhbull posted:

I love the idea of rogue-likes, and want to start getting into them but I'm terrible with learning curves. What are some games I should try? I'd love to be able to ultimately play some zombie-survival, castle-building/defense and maybe even some dungeon crawler roguelikes eventually. Games like Cataclysm, Kamyran's Eye 2 and Dwarf Fortress.

Already played FTL and Day Z. Really terrible at remembering hotkeys, (I rarely play RTS because of it). Preferably looking for turn-based or at least the ability to pause the action to set commands.

Dungeons of Dredmor will be right up your alley.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to do an LP with my girlfriend.

Does anyone know of a game that would be fun for two people to play? We've done a few, but I always lose interest because of how different my girl and I are. (She likes to explore every nook and cranny. I like to smash things, with a warhammer if possible.) She's never played a shooter before, but seems open to the idea, (which would be pretty awesome,) but really anything, even going as far back as the original nintendo if need be.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am looking for a pc game like DND, in that I have full control (in game) to do DM things, but multiplayer, meaning that I could start a game, have random people join, create characters, and run them through my campaign. I could talk as NPC's, and the only things I had to do before hand was find the maps... Sometimes. Does anyone know the game I'm talking about?

(I know about Neverwinter Nights, but I was looking for something more active/simple. Something I could convince my friends to buy (so cheap)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chinook posted:

Take a look at this:
http://roll20.net/

I know there's something else LIKE it, too, but I can't recall the name.

I already use Roll20, and I'm thinking of an actual program/game. I'm thinking about something vaguely real time, with like hit boxes. Have you ever played NWN multiplayer? Or Icewind Daggerdale? Or Baldur's Gate? I'm looking for something like that but you could use the mod tool real time, in game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scambl posted:

I really wanna play a game with awesome speechcraft. Where you can manipulate people and change the way they think. Like KotoR 2 when you can manipulate your teammates, allies, and enemies. Please tell me there's a game like this!

Jade Empire
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Deus Ex HR
Alpha Protocol
The Walking Dead

There's more, I will post again when I think of them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have a lot of friends / constant internet connection, can I enjoy the Killing Floor in singleplayer? Is there a game that is like L4D or BlOps Zombies but for one person? The only one I can think of is Dead Rising.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it doesn't have to be space, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons is on DosBox and is considered abandon-ware.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dis astranagant posted:

There's a PC version of that? I thought it was only on SNES and Genesis.

The PC version has more ships and an extra card game :3:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stark Fist posted:

I'm looking for a game to pick out for my mother that suits these requirements:

-Runs on an old laptop (WinXP, 1 gb(maybe less) of RAM, no dedicated graphics card); basically any 3D graphics are out of the question
-Has some kind of level progression - she liked the flow of Plants vs. Zombies quite a bit
-Preferably tower defense, but she likes puzzle games too
-Not especially hardcore/complex
-Flash games are fine, especially if they let you save your game
-Free is preferable, but games under 5 or 10 bucks are alright

Plants vs. Zombies runs well enough on the system in question, and I've since provided her with Kingdom Rush and Immortal Defense (which is awesome and worth checking out if you don't know it). Any suggestions?

Fairy Solitaire is addicting as hell and incredibly fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, now I want more games like New Horizons, it can be in space but I'd prefer if it wasn't, does anyone know if port royale 3 pirates is any good? Also Pirates! is so easy it's boring, so Goons please help :(

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can someone recommend me a good action RTS? Looking for something more like Age of Empires, Warcraft III then something like Civilization or Total Wars, like uhh.. how do I explain this? Basically more fast paced, build your stuff, get resources, etc. Not really slow-paced like Civ games. Also preferably the game be more recent.

StarCraft II

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geektox posted:

Any games that are a bit like Dwarf Fortress, but just ever so slightly easier? I like the micromanagement, but all the systems it dumps on you at once (army-raising, food-growing, city-planning etc.) can get a bit overwhelming. Just something that does a couple of those things is fine.

e: doesn't have to be ascii based, but roguelike-likes are preferred.

Seconding Gnomoria for graphics, ease, and still having Gnome Home Management.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully this isn't out of place here, I was just wondering if you could recommend some mods for Mount & Blade and Mount & Blade: Warband

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played my first game of M & B so I'm neither burnt out, or know what the hell I'm doing holy crap.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.fastgames.com/pixellegions.html/

Is there a game on the market that runs something like this? Or am I wasting my time? (For those who don't want to play, it's a flash game where you guard a moving base that constantly spawns units, you move those units around to attack other bases. Then there's enviromental stuff like bombs and power up gates and things that add strategy to the game.

William Bear posted:

I hear Neverwinter Nights 2 has something like that, is that any good? Are there any other games like that?
I really didn't get any base building in NWN2 I might of course just be misremembering but it played like Baldur's Gate if Baldur's Gates combat system was based on 3.5e.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Bear posted:

I want a game with tight integration of base-building and exploration. The ideal is, you go out into the world, return with some resources or things for your base that improve it, which in turn improve your personal combat ability.

It just hit me like a ton of bricks, Fallout New Vegas has 2 mods that do exactly this, and Skyrim has one. New Vegas has real time settler, and stronghold (or something similar.) Skyrim has Tundra defense.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mafia or Western PC games.

Alternatively: "The PC Markets reply to Red Dead Redemption."

Omerta is a LOT of fun, and I like the voice acting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Garland posted:

Guys, here's one from me:

I'm looking for the sandboxiest game possible but mimicking real world, as in more like GTA than, say... I don't know, LEGO games or stuff like that. Basically, I want a game that gives me a character or w/e to control and as many ways I can do poo poo with him as possible. I'm expecting many suggestions to browse through because I've been always having a hard time specifying what I want from a game so yeah. Thanks in advance.

G-Mod

Kronikle posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a great deal of party building/customization. Sorta like Final Fantasy Tactics where you could assemble a squad a million different ways with a million different skill loadouts.

Battle For Wesnoth?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know of a good free MUD with a large goon presence and is actually fun?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need some good 2 player games that are LAN possible, we both have gaming Laptops, so it's not so much an issue of "Can I Run It?" As it is, "Can I play it with my friend online in the back of a car, and a Cabin with no internet" Thanks in advance mates.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey My girl and I were playing hot seat mode at her house, but now we can't play anymore because the netcode is just ball slappingly awful, does anyone know of some good 4x's we could play together?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I have a strangely specific itch and I can't think of any games that scratch it.

I want a party-based RPG that's focused on a dungeon with as little story as possible. Furthermore, this game would ideally have lots of non-combat skills, strong character customization, and deep combat. ToEE should fit the bill perfectly but I've never been able to get in to it because I really do not like having to walk around and talk to people and read quests. I would prefer something like a roguelike with permadeath, random unidentified items/level generation, turn-based combat, and grid-based movement.

The closest thing I can think of is Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol which is too dated for me these days (that game came out 18 years ago, holy poo poo!), does anyone have any ideas?

Dungeons of Dredmor sounds like that would be right up your alley honestly.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Yeah, I love Dredmor but I really want something party-based. I remembered another game that fit the mold really well: The second NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. You know, the one that no one liked. I loved that game! I guess it doesn't need to be focused on a single dungeon because SoZ had a world map littered with small dungeons and I had a blast wandering around and finding hidden areas and random encounters.

I'll have to give ToEE another try, I never made it very far past the second town, never reached the Temple itself.

Hmmm... What about Legend of Grimrok, I've heard good things about it, while it only has 1 dungeon, it's huge you get a party of 4, and the story is non-existant.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Bear posted:

Name some more games where you are a single guy and the game involves leading, ordering, and upgrading an army.

Games I have played:

Brutal Legend (Didn't like it.)
Overlord Series (Enjoyed)
Mount and Blade (Enjoyed)
Viking Battle for Asgard (Enjoyed)

Seconding this, also, have you tried...

Fire Emblem?
X-Com?
Omerta?
Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great Zombie Roguelike for $15 that isn't Project Zomboid.

Or really any good game with both decent survival mechanics, and fight mechanics. I want to build a farm and try not to fall to a tide of enemies.

Bonus points if it's co-op and I can buy 2

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a F2P MMO with an active combat system that isn't "push button, auto-attack mans." Also, Not having to sit in two hour long instances to advance my character is a must.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdh1975 posted:

Have you looked at TERA?

Isn't that the game with all the pedos? Is there a Tera Goon Griefing Group? That might be fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davoren posted:

Anyone know any good PC games with a heavy focus on exploration? I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the parts in between gunfights, where you're just poking around in these cool places looking for resources are really enjoyable to me. I get the same thing from games like STALKER and Bioshock when there's no enemies around, and RPGs like Deus Ex when you're in like a hub area or something and you just rob everyones house. There's probably not a game built around this kind of thing, but maybe there's another game I haven't tried yet that also contains a lot of this stuff.

Dishonored
Thief
Miasmata

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

I want a game like Mercenaries 2 to play with my girlfriend, does anyone know a good game like that?

(Cross Posted from the Steam Thread.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a game that is the equivalent of like a CoD Zombie mode. I want to defend a base with traps and poo poo while blowing away with weapons at hordes of creatures.

I've already played Sanctum
OMD & OMD2
and Sang Froid

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrBims posted:

I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a hard drive in my gaming computer.

Sounds like you need to move on Sega Genesis games.

Ok, well let me tell you about Phantasy Star IV. I know what you're thinking right now 4? What about the other 3? gently caress'em this game is so great it eats the other 3 and shits them out for breakfast. It's a game that transcends fuckin' everything so hard that time and space itself folds in on itself, and math professors just go "I don't know, call it 4 gently caress man I'm stoned." It's even got the Ph spellin, because it's Phat. That's how cool this game is, it fucks off math AND spelling. Let that sink in.

Done?

This poo poo has all your RPG needs, it's crazy in depth. You get 5 dudes and you wail on like, aliens and monsters and poo poo. Also there's an evil guy. Everyone is an anime but it's ok, because there is this dude with blue hair who will make you just go, "drat, blue haired dude is a fuckin' beast" and while the main dude is some blonde wimp, you still see him kick rear end too. This story goes every-fuckin where. Move over Walkin Dead, this poo poo will make you shed more tears than Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Story is off the chain, and the whole time you'll just be alll agape and poo poo with your jaw hangin' out like "Whaaa?"

What about combat? Man this thing has got combat, this thing has got combat up the fuckin' balls, it's got this system where you can queue up special abilities and poo poo and then unleash them for combo's. No other RPG got combos like that, even chrono trigger you had to learn them. Nah these? Can do most of them from the beginning, just got to find them, their sneaky like Charlie in the trees.

In short, Phantasy Star IV is JRPG the game, but it's fun as gently caress.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khy posted:

Is there a game like dwarf fortress that isn't quite so :spergin: ? I mean an open sandbox builder game where you control (Directly or indirectly) a group of people to build up a settlement from scratch.

I really like DF but the military part of it (Training schedules, patrol schedules, managing outfits, etc etc etc) always manages to aggravate me to the point where I give up on a game and start over.

I want something in between Settlers 4 and Dwarf Fortress. Does such a thing exist?

Gnomoria

http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500/

Less than a hamburger.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a fun Turn Based Strategy Game, I kind of want it to be like Swat 4 where you can queue up take down maneuvers, or synchronized shots or reaction fire, and everything just kind of meshes and works. I'd also be ok with like a Tom Clancy TBS. Does this thing exist.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a bunch of Free TBS games to play with my girlfriend. Do you guys know of any awesome ones?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any RPG's that are reminiscent of The Godfather or Boardwalk Empire? That kind of organized crime, romanticised. Non-rpgs are ok, but I didn't like the Godfather game because it became really repetitive really quick, and Omerta was a lovely buggy mess. I've already played LA: Noire.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some fun fighting games with INSANE levels of Character Customization, and the ability to do computer v computer battles. I have a good idea for an internet thing, but I don't know what game would really work.

E: For the PC

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 28, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Soulcalibur 3/4/5?

For the PC?

(I just thought to edit this in as I read your post.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I assumed Turtlicious was making some kind of joke about Saltybet but the number of sincere responses makes me think I was mistaken...?

I wasn't, I wanted to do something like salty bet but just for me and a couple of friends as a joke. The character customization was so they could make their own characters, then I was going to throw $10 Steambux at the winner.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a Free to play game to play with my girlfriend over the internet, the only rule is no MMO's unless they are VASTLY different from MMO's like Age of Wushu, or World of Warcraft. I really really like Phantasy Star Online, but I don't think I'll be able to get her to put up with the japanese interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zwabu posted:

I think most people want to be able to take the fight to the baddies more directly, but I think a zombie RPG type game could be really cool if you had to spend a LONG time building up resources and fortifying your cave before you could find, scrape together or build weaponry and ammo badass enough to bring the pain. It would make the asskicking phase a lot more meaningful and satisfying, especially if you had to find or develop weapon tech in long phases.

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

Thank me later. This is what you want almost exactly.