Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for an rpg with dark-souls type of design. What I mean is 1. great range for customisation of character, 2. large world to explore in different directions, some of which will be impossible if attempted too early. 3. Fixed item locations with fixed stats, in other words no borderlands/diablo-style randomisation of stats and/or effects. 4. Is Not a sandbox. Basically I mean that the game is still level-based rather than open terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

exotarih posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a visual novel type of game, with a fair share of decisions that influence the overall progression and give the game some replay value. According to her, it would be great if the game included some RPG elements (levelling, status points, equipment, things like that) but it shouldn't be too heavy on the combat-side of things. She recently played Cinders which she enjoyed but for her taste it was a bit 'too much' of a visual novel (i.e. much text, not many things happening). She greatly enjoyed Long Live the Queen, especially with the different classes and character skills.

Accordingly, something along the lines of Long Live the Queen would be great, maybe with some more RPG and decision 'elements'. The visuals shouldn't be too dated. She also enjoyed the Rune Factory/Harvest Moon series.

http://www.theyawhg.com/

The Yawhg is a short game (20 mins per full 'story') that can be played with 1 to 4 players. Your character lives in a city. In 6 (?) days the city will be destroyed by the Yawhg. Each day, the player(s) must choose where in the city their character will spend the day - there are about 10 locations, and each location has 2 options (the alchemy tower: will you clean up the mess those drat alchemists made, or will you try and brew your own concoctions? The bar: tend bar, or drink the day away?) and usually has 1 player choice and/or a skill check. Regardless, your actions will benefit your character in some respect - although there are dangerous encounters.

There are a buttload of events, and these all influence and are influenced by your character's stats. Now my question to you is this: What will your characters do, when the Yawhg arrives?

Give your girlfriend this game, play it together, I guarantee you'll both have a lot of fun. It's dirtcheap too.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 10, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

DaS's predecessor King's Field: the Ancient City on PS2 is a possibility, as is Demon's Souls on the PS3.

They're not what I immediately think of when someone says "Dark Souls like", but some metroidvanias might qualify, especially Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Aria of Sorrow.

How important is it that the combat be similar to Dark Souls? Because just from the points you've listed there, a bunch of older RPGs would also qualify. Geneforge comes to mind, and depending on what you mean by "sandbox" and "open terrain", Fallout 1/2 and New Vegas might be what you're after as well.

Combat doesn't have to be similar at all. Simply because I don't think there are many games that focus on the timing and analysis of enemy movesets to the extent that Dark Souls does.

Unfortunately I don't own consoles, so it does have to be on pc... I've played all fallouts except F3. I'll have a look at Geneforge though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alikchi posted:

Looking for a good co-op PC game to play with my bf. Something decently long and story-based. The last game we really played together was Portal 2, I suggested Baldur's Gate but I think that'll be too clunky for him. Thoughts? 2 player campaign, deep story/interesting mechanics, no Diablos.

How long do you want to wait? http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/ is right up your alley, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weUPfejQ7xE

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Divinity 2: Director's Cut is fantastic - lots of things to see, snappy dialogue and possibly the greatest plot twist in the history of plots. For sheer ballsiness, anyway. Enemies are pretty non-cliched as well. Watch some vids.

I enjoyed wandering around in Two Worlds, despite the extreme jank, but your tolerance for the word "taint" and "forsooth", mis-identification of bandits, complaints about rain and extremely bad voice acting might be tested.

Disagree on the first part - an amazing game, sure, but in terms of "greatest plot twist" there's one game that has it beat: Anachronox (Western rpg, Jrpg combat, great humor, visual style, writing. Combat's a bit iffy. Find the skip button for the long animation moves asap. But. It has, bar NONE. the best plot twist in any game ever. And they never made a sequel to resolve that plot. drat you industry).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Two Finger posted:

Funny enough because I'm addicted to GOG's weekend sales I have all of these. I'll have to give them a crack.

I think I need help. At the rate I'm going I'll end up buying GOG's entire library.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

massive spider posted:

Yeah hit me, I want some dragons. Biggest dragons you got.

Divinity 2 - developer's cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzsg_WkSI6s

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

It was kinda a stupid question, because of course there's literally a wikipedia page on star wars video games. Still, that's probably what I'm going to go for, thanks!

IMO Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is superior to Jedi Academy. Better written (although it's still an early 2000s shooter, don't go in expecting Shakespeare) and better pacing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Xarthor posted:

Recently my fiancee has gotten into adventure games. She played Machinarium and Botanicula and liked the art style and music of those but I think she would be open to other adventure/puzzle games as well.

Can you recommend me some adventure games to her she might like? The last one I played was probably Full Throttle or The Monkey Island series, so clearly I'm not in the know when it comes to adventure gaming.

Double fine's broken age (though it's only half-finished. Expect the second half to land sometime late this year). Its currently available first half is relatively easy, but is well written and quite charming.

Other than that, the Planescape Torment of the genre is probably Grim Fandango. Extremely good story, decent puzzles, great worldbuilding.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Monaco? It's a top-down crime simulator that's more of a chaos simulator than a meticulous heist planning sim.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jackie D posted:

Who knows if Dead State will ever be finished, or be good if it does, but its basically that.

Can only control one person at a time, but State of Decay fits the rest of the criteria.

What's the story on Dead State? Is there a topic or something that gives the rundown on current status?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

+1 for this. Any recommendations on games with good character customization?

I assume you mean 3D? Because Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura is an isometric rpg with a TON of customisability - but the spriteset is limited to full suits of armor. Still, you can wear a bullet-repelling top hat, any armor ranging from stripper armor (male and female), generic fantasy robes, 19th century suits, up to steampunk exoskeleton armor, and an electrified sword. Oh, and you can have a spider automaton pet (guns are disappointingly weak though)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Democracy 3?

A turn-based simulatiion game where you press policy buttons and see what (unintended?) effects they have. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a game where you join/support factions and/or backstab them, this is not it. It's more of a "cause & effect" strategic puzzler than anything else.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

al-azad posted:

The Cat Lady. It's about a clinically depressed fourty-something woman who commits suicide and is resurrected to murder some evil beings but it's really about her exploring all the events leading up to her death. It's less about sexism but heavily deals with depression, motherhood, and domestic abuse.

Problem with the cat lady is that it's so drat heavy-handed and its 'main plot' is mostly about over-the-top serial killers that should be in a comedy crime story.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Republic is one of those games that sounds good when you read about it, but is actually terrible when you go to play it. Avoid.

Evil Genius however is wonderful.

*glorious 60s james bond style music*

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The library torture devices were gloriously devious. And the traps were equally devious. Wonderful little piranhas.

SOMEONE MAKE ANOTHER BOND VILLAIN SIMULATOR GODDAMNED!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'll need a new graphics card first though :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There's an exploit you can use. Early on, when you first get access to the world map, there will be no reprisal on the world map. So hire a bunch of goons, stick them on the more profitable regions, and keep the game running for a few hours. Boom, instant billionaire.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I got a few buddies come over and I might persuade them to play some video games. Thing is, they haven't played games in forever and I'm a bit of a loss at what best to prepare. I only have 1 controller, so it'd have to be something that can be played by switching the controller back and forth and/or that's just fun to see someone else play.

I'm thinking of the Yawgh, but for some different more actiony games I'm at a bit of a loss. Maybe dark souls? I'd say saints row 4 but that game takes a bit to get good...

also: third the startopia comment. A great charming game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

My girlfriend absolutely adores survival horror games, but she has generally only played the biggest series. Her favorite is of course Resident Evil 4, and she is also a huge fan of Alone in the Dark, Fatal Frame, and Silent Hill. She also hated Evil Within, plus she's gotten a hand full of random indies off steam for :5bux: and they too have been bad.

So what is a good survival horror or three that's out on ps3/360/pc that she may have missed?

Does she have tolerance for old games? Because if she hasn't played system shock 2 she should (1 is probably too old and janky).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how about crypt of the necrodancer?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm looking for a game that allows me to go "rags to riches", from lone trader/warrior/whatever to CEO/Emperor/God of a massive empire. Preferably with options for both violent and nonviolent means. The problem is that the games with this theme I've played, like Warband and X3, have been very frustrating from a UI point of view. I want easy management options, stats, graphs presented in an accessible way. Basically I don't want to feel like i'm fighting against the user interface.

Can be first person or third person or isometric, can be anything from fantasy over sci-fi to medieval to horror; there can be a large combat part in the mechanics, but there should be a solid economic backbone that I can manipulate. What I don't want is a Civ/eu4 style country manager, I want to build factories/farms, start as a small entity on the payroll of an empire and end up usurping/conquering that empire.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Are there any PC games that are as fun to play as halo? Lot's of weapons, lots of game modes, lots of different sized maps, lots of vehicles. I have crazy fun playing halo with my friends but for my pc all I have are CSS, CSGO, and TF2 none of which are remotely the same.

saints row 4?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

give me an rpg with a lot of potential builds that play very differently from one another. I already own dark souls, Divinity original sin, the deus exes, the fallouts, bloodlines and arcanum.

no bioware allowed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

William Bear posted:

Are there any other games like Mount & Blade where you start off as a nobody with wimpy equipment, then gradually amass an army and skills and take over bases and be a major player in world politics? I've also played an online browser game like this, Feudalism 2.

I hear the X series by Egosoft is like this in space. Which one is best? Any others I should consider?

No idea as to the bolded part, but it intrigues me. As to the other stuff, the Patrician series is an economic sim (so no armies) where you start with a single trade ship and end with a large trade fleet and plantations and/or factories across the baltic port cities.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

William Bear posted:

Mostly I was referring to the endgame in Mount & Blade, where you either swear you support to a kinga nd take over the continent or you declare yourself king and lead your own faction to world domination.

Thanks for mentioning Starsector, it looks good.

Oh, I wasn't asking more info, I'm also very intrigued by the idea of starting as a nobody and ending as the emperor/Ceo of everything.

PrinceRandom posted:

Kinda morbid maybe but are there any games that do the shot analysis thing they do in JFK reloaded? Not just stupid kill cam poo poo but like shot trajectory

err, the original sniper elite, maybe? I never played it though. Alternatively (maybe) one of the arma games w mods?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A while ago I bought all 3 of the old impressions games' City Builders - Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Zeus/Poseidon and Caesar 3.

I only played Pharaoh but never finished its campaign - of these, which would you say is the "best", well-rounded city builder?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

punch drunk posted:

Any suggestions for some good narrative based games that require very little actual gameplay? I'm pretty much looking for visual novels except not anime and well written/emotional. I just got through Firewatch it and I did enjoy it a great deal but the trekking through the woods and tossing pinecones around and poo poo took away something for me. The very beginning where you're just making very simple choices resonated well with me.

I don't really like the telltale games. I did enjoy Kentucky Route Zero immensely.

The Last Express (made in 1997):

Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252710/
GOG link: http://www.gog.com/game/last_express_the

Easily one of the best p&c adventures of all time, you are a stowaway on the Orient express where you are to meet with your friend, but when you open his compartment, you find he has been murdered. Somehow you need to find out who killed him and why, while impersonating your friend to keeping conductors and the police from discovering you. Important detail: the game never pauses. Life on the train goes on, other characters on the train will eat, sleep, chat with each other whether you're there or not. Meaning it is quite possible to miss clues for (sub)plots because you were on the other side of the train when [event] happened.

Also the game is made with beautiful rotoscope animations.

fakeedit: ach drat, here's the GOG description, it's better written:

quote:

about : Paris, 1914. The world is on the brink of war and this train could push it over the edge. You are Robert Cath, a young American urgently summoned by your old friend Tyler Whitney to join him aboard the Paris-Constantinople express, departing from the Gare de l'Est on July 24th. Arriving late, you discover something has gone terribly wrong. Now you must untangle a complex web of political intrigue, suspense, romance, and betrayal. Every move you make could bring you closer to the truth or your own demise. Bon voyage!
*Unique Art Nouveau graphics achieved through rotoscoping.
*One of only a few adventure games played in real-time, among AI-controlled characters with their own goals and means with which to achieve them.
*Incredible playability with many endings thanks to a complex, adaptive storyline.

Pushes Up Roses made a video if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7QBeiIfGGw

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Boz0r posted:

Any tips for a casual, turn-based, hot seat game, that I can play with my girlfriend with controllers from the couch?

err, not really what you're asking but Divinity Original sin is 2-player co-op with controllers & combat is turn-based...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game that goes between X-COM or Fire Emblems's "every soldier is unique" and an RTS where you mass produce cookie cutter units that youdon't care about a single bit by the thousand. Ideally, you'd have a persistent army that keeps getting better, like the old Shadow of the Horned Rat. I've played Panzer General and Mount and Blade to death already.

age of wonders 3? Turn based strategy, armies ("parties" of up to 8 units) can level up to silver & gold after enough kills, and you have hero units that level up for unique abilities and use special items. But none of them are irreplaceable, just a severe blow when you lose them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just finally finished Aquanox after having it sit in my gog account for literally years and it was pretty good. A bit on the janky side for someone used to freespace-style aim assists and craft tended to bump into one another slightly too much but it's overall a fun vehicle combat sim.

Is the second one also good, better or worse?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there any games as explicitly political/philosophical like Deus Ex? I'm talking dialogues with an AI on the merits/dangers of a surveillance state, corruption, free market liberty, propaganda, etc. Note I don't need those specific subjects but I'm really in for a game that tries to be serious about a social topic. No Human Revolution is not a good answer for this.

Also I expect the answer to be "no" but you never know :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

kerbal space program multiplayer? I have never done it so no idea on how many hoops to jump through.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

Are there any good modern PC games about running a business? I've seen several nice old games but, can't tolerate the aged graphics anymore.

football manager?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

My girlfriend really likes games where she can design stuff. Specifically, she loves doing interior design in The Sims. She likes building houses and rooms with themes and cohesive styles. She's burning out on the sims because she says there aren't enough options and all her places are getting samey. I have no experience in this genre and it's the only one she likes, but has never explored outside of the sims. Any ideas? Pc is okay if it's a few years old (her laptop can barely run sims 4) and she also has an iPad.

if she's open up for similar but a bit different experiences, cities: skylines is a very low-entry bar city builder where you can spend hours upon hours building and prettifying roads/railways/...

Alternatively there's space colony

It places you in charge of a small space colony (fancy that) on an isolated planet, where you gather, process, and sell resources, complete missions, keep your colonists happy, and deal with whatever crises get thrown at you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mrfreeze posted:

So anyone have any suggestions for a good short PC game with an interesting plot? I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Beginners Guide" or "Undertale" that can be gotten through in a couple of sittings but has something about it that really stands out and grabs you. An interesting story matters most to me at the moment.

... gone home?

80 days (~ish)
Gemeni Rue
Last Express

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

This and Solium Infernum.

isn't Solium's multiplayer setup incredibly convoluted and annoying to deal with each turn?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Other than Alpha Protocol, are there any good Sterling Archer simulators on the market?

Preferably spy-related, main character definitively a high-functioning smartass jerkface. Must be funny.

I guess Bulletstorm counts, but there's only so many times I can play that heavenly dick-killing rear end in a top hat machine.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 20, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mr. Dragoon posted:

Having just finished Wizardry 8, I was looking for another game where a major feature of it is making your own very customized party. I'm looking for something maybe a bit more modern and not in the vein of the grid based first person crawler like Legend of Grimrock or the older Wizardry games. I'd prefer if it was entirely based on the party with no real "Main" character and the larger the possible party and player made characters the better.

Setting doesn't really matter and real time or turn based I can take either or.

This might be a bit out of left field but - Dungeon Siege 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgsR3qZp3-M&t=9m35s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a game along the lines of Pandemic or Endgame: Singularity, where you play a phenomena (like a sentient disease or a rogue AI) that wants to grow, evolve, and stay hidden. However, I would like something with gameplay that's a little more in-depth and a little less "waiting for meters to fill up."

Any ideas?

you might want to try Uplink? You're a hacker who goes about doing jobs giving or erasing people's criminal/educational/social security history, as well as draining bank accounts for your own fun and profit. Upgrade your hardware and have to make sure to stay undetected by erasing your digital footprints. Eventually you'll be confronted by a supervirus that you can try to destroy or use and spread it to bring down the entire internet.