Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
~Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim
dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst
the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and
the laughter of thirsting gods.~

- Anonymous, sometime in the thirty-ninth millenium

You are a soldier in service ot the God-Emperor of man. For years on end you've been with the Planetary Defense Force of your homeworld, ready to defend it against enemies foreign and domestic: The Heretic, the Mutant, the Traitor, perhaps even the Alien. When the call of duty that all planets are bound to, the transfer of PDF personnel to the holy imperial guard, you answered. The manner in which you answered could be very different from others: Perhaps you leaped at the chance to defend the Imperium with holy zeal, perhaps you were forced at length of a shotgun by determined clerks of the Adeptus Munitorum. It matters not to the Emperor, and whether you want to be or not, you are now ready for your first deployment in a Guard regiment. You are one of billions of soldiers conscripted every year, and no matter how you choose to approach the fact, you must fight the enemies of Man forever, or until the unlikely event that your regiment disbands and you can go home.

Our tale takes place in Sub-Sector Barrenus, located somewhere in the northern Segmentum Ultima in the middle of the Centaurus arm. Barrenus is a grim place, often plagued by war, and some inquisitors have voiced fears that the Immaterium is weak in areas - Soldiers routinely go mad in the warp when transported between deployments! While Barrenites are generally very pious, many say they'd have to be, as enemies of many kinds beset them: Xenos like ork and eldar, rogue governors or tech-priests, and of course the all-pervasive threat of Chaos. War worlds are numerous: Lotarus, UH-69, Salusa Secundus, Corwax, Dinahra.. The list stretches on into eternity, and your fate is with nearly all possible certainty linked to a cold, unmarked grave on one of these battlegrounds.

Mandatory out-of-character information

Welcome to my Dark Heresy CYOA! First things first, the game is set in the Warhammer 40,000 setting. If you do not now what that is, I suggest you check out the following resources:
http://lexicanum.com (a decent wiki, look to the 40K one)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000#Background and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperium_of_Man (a no brainer perhaps, but provides comprehensive information)

Everyone is welcome to post votes, and posting votes in one thread does not commit you in any way to vote in the following updates.

If you don't care too much about the details and want to get on with the character, skip the following and go to the next post!

Also, a great way to know about fluff and flavour, and ask questions, is the
Goon Warhams thread!

I should like to have fresh participants either read and get a feel before posting, or have some prior experience with the setting. I reserve the right to discount votes that run completely against imperial nature, unless some prior influence or corruption has taken place. Also, the game works much like any other CYOA, you vote or make suggestions, I assense what sort of consensus we have and continue writing the story. My style will somewhat resemble that of Chaos Motor and Stop Making Sense, in that I will respect and incorporate suggestions from players, even if it might seem like there is only one course of action in a given situation. It makes for more potent roleplaying/writing, and opens for as much player participation as possible. Players familiar with Dark Heresy rules may also suggest specific combat actions present in the game, such as tactical advance, feints and so on, or the purchase of specific skills as we gain experience - Although I will of course explain things as comprehensively as possible to new players or others who don't have their books nearby.

A Life of War will be the first installment of the game, provided our character survives. The premise here is that I will let you create a Guardsman conscript, and then let him and his battlegroup encounter (chosen from a custom table I made) enemies, challenges and situations that an Imperial guard company can realistically expect to meet. As some of you can guess, this means the odds can (and eventually will) be stacked extremely bad against you. I will give you a fair chance to survive somehow, so keep an open mind and remember that, as in real life, luck, having common sense and remembering your military training will get you back alive (usually in that order, too.). Perhaps, if the game works out and thrives, we can change the setting if our hero somehow escapes military service. I have some things written out in advance, but I won't rule out more open-ended developments like serving the inquisition or going solo!

The setting for the game is Sub-Sector Barrenus, a collaborative writing project between me and the other four players in my gaming group, where we've played fifteen sessions as an imperial guard squad and about ten more with other characters. It is ripe with backstory, interesting worlds, antagonists and custom toys and places.

I will post a sector map of Barrenus soon when I get a chance to scan it.

I will update the thread at least twice a week, and it's sensible minimum, so don't count on more updates if I'm in a busy spot.

Please bold your vote so I have a chance of quickly counting votes in a tight spot.

As you will notice, there are many forge worlds, and many chances will come to play with the heavier toys should you live that long. But make no mistake, the galaxy will punish mistakes harshly, and you will need to do your best to see our hero through!

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Changing this to be a placeholder for our character sheet, so we can keep track of XP, wounds and other exploits!

Quint "Rat" Zetkin, 1st squad, 5th platoon, 11th Nallani Mechanized Infantry Batallion (3rd Company) - 56th Nallani Rifles, Callsign: Swift.

Regiment Type: Mechanized Infantry, Airmobile/Armoured.

Doctrines: Die-Hards, Hardened Fighters.

CO: Major Arnit Artax (Traits: Maverick)

Current Rank: 2nd Lieutenant.

Fifth Platoon layout posted:

1st Squad, HQ - 2nd Lt. Quint Zetkin.
- Special equipment: Vox relay, surgeon kit, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Flamer.

2nd Squad, tactical - Sgt. Etos
- Special equipment: Grenade Launcher, Demolition Charges, 10mm Heavy Stubber.

3rd Squad, recon - Sgt. Kuhn
- Special equipment: Grenade Launcher, Flamer, 2xhandheld Surveyors.

4th Squad, heavy support - Sgt. Mala
- Special equipment: 3x10mm Heavy Stubbers.

5th Squad, mortar - Sgt. Hark
- Special equipment: Vox Relay, 2x40mm Mortars.

Former outfits:
2nd squad, 1st platoon, 6th company - 56th Nallani Rifles, Callsign: Reaper.
5th squad, 1st platoon, 6th company - 56th Nallani Rifles, Callsign: Piety.

Accolades:

Service ribbons - UH-69 pacification campaign, Ara campaign against the Ork.

"The secret days" - A ribbon with Commissar-Colonel Holts livery. Earned for deniable activity in the Imperator Decisive Valley deep in the jungles of Tahm.

Infantryman's Medal, Platoon Leader - awarded for holding the line against an enemy much more numerous than your platoon. Gave an I. Medal Class III citation to all men under you.

Infantryman's Medal Class III - awarded for bravery during the assault on Hive Ortos during the UH-69 campaign.

Triple Skulls - Awarded regiments that lose above 66% of their active strength in a single engagement without breaking formation or fleeing, in this case the 56th Nallani Rifles.

Cross of Valour - For infiltrating a rebel camp and kidnapping two enemy VIPs under enemy fire on the second UH-69 campaign.

Home World:
Nalla is a Hive-class world.

Worlds of the Imperium, abr. By Olavius Rebarius posted:

The sprawling factory/housing constructs known as hives dot the, usually otherwise inhospitable, surface of these planets. Hives hold billions of citizens slaving away behind desks, in packing plants, factories or in the dilapedated, century-old hive under-sections where people eke out an existance among mutants, outlaws and scavvies. They cannot support themselves with food and are wholly dependant on farming worlds for food. Hivers, as hive worlders are known, are: hardy, charismatic, often criminal, extremely agoraphobic and good survivors in urban settings. Well-known hive worlds are Necromunda and of course Holy Terra, the capital world of the Imperium.

Nalla is as densely populated as most hive worlds, and play a vital role in sector trade, as they make most of the bionics exported in the sector, and custom pieces fetch high prices. All Nallani have white or ice- and ash-blond hair by some genetic twist, some tech-priests have advanced the (possibly heretical idea) that long-term exposure to certain technologies have had this effect. They are fair-skinned, though many develop a tan from exposure to forges and factorum units. As a quirk, a great many citizens have cyber-lens for eyes, because the planet also makes and exports isotropic fuel rods, and the process by which elements are handled and assembled can produce blinding flashes that sear the retina away. In part due to this, it is a 'rite of passage' in many Nallani gangs and military regiments to have your retinas or the entire eye removed and replaced with cybernetic lens.

Traits

Accustomed to Crowds
Quint grew up in a society of billions, and can navigate through even the densest masses with ease. This means no penalties or knockdown risks when charging or running through a crowd of people, no matter how thick.

Caves of Steel
In most of the Imperium, no one knows why machinery and technology works, just that it does, and under the tutelage of the Machine-Cult, worship it with great fervour as to not anger the spirits within the machine. As a hiver, Rat is a bit more used to technology than most, and surrounded by it all his life, it is not as much as arcane mystery as something he can relate to. In practice, this means he treats Tech-Use as a basic rather than an advanced skill, a handy knack indeed.

Gift of Loud-Hailing
Quint has received a poor-quality Vocal Implant. It allows Quint to amplify his voice considerably, increasing the chance that his orders are heard over background noise. On occasion it may fritz, blinding or even knocking him out as the feedback punches his inner ear.

Hivebound
Growing up in a hive hab-block, Quint feels only abject terror, bordering on religious dread, when under the open sky or in outdoors terrain. He suffers a penalty to survival tests when outside, and a penalty to intelligence tests when away from "proper habitation", that is, places without electric/plasma power, running water, manufactured goods or solid ceilings.

Wary
With gang shoot-outs, massive riots and hive-quakes more the rule than the exception in his life, Quint is constantly on his toes and alert to the world around him. He is one of the few lucky character types to have a bonus to Initiative rolls.

Current statistics line (advances taken in parantheses)

WS: 47 (+simple increase)
BS: 36 (+simple increase)
S: 36 (+simple increase)
T: 34 (+intermediate increase)
Ag: 44 (+simple increase)
Int: 24
Per: 43
WP: 43 (+simple increase)
Fel: 38 (+simple increase)
Wounds total: 13

Total Fate Points: 2
Insanity Points: 25
Corruption Points: 6
Throne Gelt: 560

Injuries and scars

Left arm amputated from the middle of the elbow out, simple artery stamp with a sewage pump modular bionic underarm joint implanted. Allegedly "too complex" a fracture to economically replace, according to the Adeptus Munitorum.

Vocal Implant (slightly used) replaces part of inner nose and vocal chords.

Enormous, jagged chainsword scar along left bicep, inflicted by the treacherous leader of UH-69's governors personal guard.

Psyker-healed pulse rifle wound from a Kroot rifle in the right thigh.

Blotchy, crushed tissue on chest from a rebel officers bolt pistol on the second campaign of UH-69.

Aptitudes
Defence, Fellowship, Leadership, Perception, Strength, Toughness, Weapon Skill

Skills

Basic: Intimidate, Tech-Use.

Trained: Awareness, Common Lore: Imperial Guard, Dodge+10, Inquiry+10, Operate (Aeronatics), Operate (Surface), Speak Low Gothic (Hive Dialect), Scholastic Lore: Tactica Imperialis, Swim, Survival.

Advanced: Command, Literacy

Talents

Air of Authority, Hardy, Weapons Training (Primitive, Chain, Las, Solid Projectile), Literacy, Rapid Reload, Resistance (Fear), Peer (Imperial Guard), Street Fighting, Sound Constitution(2), Quick Draw.

Equipment, worn, carried and stashed:

Worn and installed
Dark blue fatigues and uniform, dog tags with name and regiment, Barrenus Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, steel-capped boots.

Bionics: Common Quality Cyberlens (both eyes), bionic arm (good quality).

Armour: Flak jacket, flak pants, Carapace helmet (Armour Flak values: Leg 4, Arms 4, Body 4, Head 4). Armaplas shield (Adds +15 to parry checks, can be wedged in front of Quint to provide a bit of cover with a full action).

Weapons
Bayonet knife, Chainsword of unknown manufacture (customized grip upgrade), Minerva-Taranor "Ripper" Short Magazine automatic las-rifle, Nallani-pattern Laspistol, Uvris-pattern "Steel Claw" Imperial Navy officer's sidearm, Decimus-Pattern "Steel-boot" Shotgun. Mk. 9-70 Entrenching tool. 2 Mk. III Decimus-pattern Frag grenades, 4 smoke grenades, bandoleer-belt with 3 jury-rigged Fire grenades. 3 One-use 'Exterminator' weapon attachments.

Odds and ends
Gas Mask with Mk VIII filter,
steel-shod factory boots,
electrical tattoo marking your affiliation with The IIX Block Steelguard, your factory hive gang back on Nalla.
Cloth-bag with collected throne gelt, the Emperors Coin. 6 packs of Lho-sticks, 3 bottles of double-distilled amasec. 2 doses of 'Slaught, Medikit w/5 doses of Stimm, disposable syringes and syrettes. Photo-Visor attached to helmet. Sliver of St. Ivar's bane-sword set in fossilized resin.

..and field gear:

56th Rifles field gear posted:

No rations.

2 sandbags.

Basic toolkit, complete with weapon maintenance kit and generic power pack.

Compass and whistle.

Basic medkit with gauze, antiseptic powder, tweezers, needle and thread, no painkillers.

(You are also in possession of a sleeping sack, a large tarpaulin and grounding spikes, larger mess kit, bedroll, an infantry lamp pack and grooming gear, but are not expected to lug it around in combat zones.)

Achievements
(in order of acquisition)

Worthy of the Name
Quint has killed more than a hundred foes, most in direct combat. While he may not be aware, the subconscious knowledge that he is a good killer makes him confident.

Munitorum Approved
You have killed an enemy using an Entrenching Tool. This makes you a raw fragger.

Right Hand of Angels
You completed a mission given to you by the Adeptus Astartes to the best of your ability. The feeling of confidence instilled by this feat makes Quint a harder warrior.

No Cannon Fodder
You made it to NCO without dying! This is pretty well done..

'Arder Than Thou!
You've defeated an ork boy in single melee combat!

Touch me and Gain a Stump!
You've lost a limb in Imperial service.

Hero of the Regiment!
For valor in combat and honest dedication to his regiment, Quint is considered a pillar of the 56th Rifles. He gains 100XP and the talent Peer(Imperial Guard), and +10% bonus to fellowship tests when interacting with a member of his regiment save Commissars*. Also, Guardsmen and Corporals receive +10% to Fear and Pinning tests when led by him.

Selfless
While self-sufficient, Quint is also somewhat soft-hearted in the face of adversity. He must make a willpower test to NOT aid a fallen squad- or regiment mate.

Worthy To Rest By the Throne
You've been named Veteran Guard. Much honor, and many trials, are attached to the word. This gives Quint 50 XP.

Imperial Toast
You've been set on fire! 25 XP.

Mssionary
You've succesfully built a chapel-trench and converted local citizens of a warzone. 50 XP.

I'm the Ultimate Badass: Lictor
You defeated a Tyranid creature in close combat, in this case a Lictor. This achievement is worth 50 XP.

* This is cumulative with the +10% to interaction with all Guard members gained from the Peer talent, for a total of +20% to other members of the 56th.

Easter Egg Rewards

7 ft Psychotic Tribesmen Can Be Hardcore, Too!

The planet Porão and its glory regiment are both named for noted Brazilian HC/Punk band Ratos de Porão ("Basement Rats"). This achievement is worth 50 XP for Quint.

Halt, I heard that before!

Colonel-Commissar Holt is in fact from Games Workshops fluff, appearing as the player character leading the invasion of Volistad aginst the ork Warlord Skroll in the 40K-Epic computer strategy game Final Liberation - Now he has his eye set on the Barrenus sector, leading an unsuspecting Rat. This achievement is worth 25 XP for Quint.

I have a queer feeling about this..

Through a strange twist of time and space, pursuing battle at the Kroot base camp in the Imperator Decisive valley seems oddly reminiscent of the Battle of Ia Drang between US airmobile and PAVN forces in November 1965. This achievement nets the guessing player 25 XP for Quint's character sheet advances.

He who controls hordes of idiot green hooligans..

Salusa Secundus is inspired by Dune, correctly guessed! This achievement is worth 25 XP.

Experience

Experience Points: 4750
EXP spent: 4700

Trackers

Wounds (Total 13) : 13
Fate points (Total 2) : 2

Ammo:

Ammo for Lasgun, clip size 40 : 40
Ammo for Steel-Claw pistol, clip size 15 : 15
Ammo for Combat Shotgun, clip size 20 : 20

Remaining Loadout:
7 lasgun charge packs: 1 loaded, 6 full
1 laspistol charge pack: one loaded
2 clips for the Steel-Claw: 1 loaded, 1 full
18 Mars-pattern scatter shotgun shells: 6 loaded, 12 in loose weight.
1 Fire bombs, 1 carried.
4 smoke grenades, 2 carried.
3rd Company Banner.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 28, 2015

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Void Born.
The Warp sings to you, and you respond in kind.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Voting Feral World, any sufficiently advanced technology will appear as magic. And thus scary.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Schola Progenium all the way.

CYOA type games with a barbaric, savage protagonist (whether from a feral world or the underhive) are kind of played out. I'd be interested in a game with a different kind of sociopathic antihero: the myopic zealot who would sacrifice himself for the God Emperor as quickly as he would sacrifice any other man (or woman, or infant, or... anything, really).

Edit: And yes, 40k special forces have a lot shittier time of it than their real world equivalents. 40k anything have a lot shittier time of it than their real world equivalents.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Voting Hive World. We should be street-smart and skilled and (wisely) terrified of nature or whatever horrible warp-spawn exists outside of the safety of the citys walls of plascrete.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Character Gallery

Work in progress, sorry.

Squad

In our squad we are currently acquianted with:

Flavia, a nice-looking girl with criminal brands on the cheek, a right hard bastard and our grenade launcher specialist. Quint's one-time lover.

Trantor, brother of the now deceased Intius. He is a competent warrior and former ganger. Good with an axe in hand.

Tilla, our second-in-command who is a fanatical Imperialist (ultra-racist/fascist ecclesiarchal sect) but otherwise a competent man.

Marya, a man apart in that he grew up on the agri/imperial-world Ara, and has never seen a hive. A good point scout, owns a camouflage-pattern cloak and wields a designated marksman loadout: A Decimus-pattern Long Las with magnification scope and a hot-shot overcharge pack.

"Stub" Zane, a man you've known since your first combat drop, good with a pistol, and faster with a smart remark.

Rane, Aran rifleman, wields an autogun instead of a lasgun.

Nicola, Aran rifleman, medic, has medi-kit.

Oleg, Aran specialist. Wields a 10mm Heavy Stub Gun or Heavy Flamer as the situation requires.

Max, Nallani rifleman. Quick thinker, could be a rebel in the making.

The NCOs under Quint, attached specialists and sundry psycho killers

Garal "Ram" Millicent, ordained Tech-Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Allegedly a kind of frontline operator for the AM, but has been demoted to serve as Guard liaison for reasons unknown. Also, he drove your squad through an ork fortification wall. In a train. Weaponsmith and knows his way around cybernetics and all kind of arcane machinery in a pinch.

Father James Kraken. Originally a Catachan jungle fighter, Kraken has seen the light: Inspiring men by way of brutal close combat in the name of the God-Emperor. Physically fearsome, and really good with close quarters weaponry in general.

The Brass

Regis who used to be in our squad, now a captain with staff. Has a mysterious relationship with a storm trooper captain, and used to be our primary friend in high places.

Major Artax is our company commander, and has taken a shine to Quint 'cause he's good at solving military problems.

Staff Captain Jenit Anx is a real hardass, and a top leader of our former gang to boot.

Executive Captain Crates is a storm trooper captain, close with Regis.

Colonel-Commissar Archon Holt, commander-in-chief of army groups the 56th Rifles have served. Extremely proficient, but extremely frightening. Have it your way!

Roll of Honour

Meton - Original heavy gunner, killed during your first combat drop when thrown against the pod hull.
Estas - Former squad leader, killed leading the charge on hive Ortos during the UH-69 campaign.
Intius - Trantor's brother, loyal and good man, shot by a commissar for wrongful reasons while holding Hill 295 in the Aran campaign.
Ox - Heavy Stub gunner, solid if dense young man who died heroically on Hill 295 defending a machine gun site from orks. Nominated post-humously for the Star of Barrenus.
Kayla and Vydas, Aran conscripts killed by orks on Ara.
Tilla - Original squad member, unpleasantly dedicated imperialist who died in a hail of stub gun fire on the second UH-69 campaign.
A string of conscripts who died before you could really know them.

Current Ride

Rusty utility hauler, gotten from the Rebels.
Light armor plating, decent handling, slow speed.

Other Vehicles in Regiment

His Wraths Inescability, Turkey-class Rotorship:

Traits: Troop transport, heavy weapon pintle, nose-mounted Autocannon.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2015

untalented
Sep 3, 2004
no skills to pay the bills
Schola Progenium because our character needs to be put in the roughest situations possible.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Voting Mind-Cleansed , who doesn't want to start with at least a minor insanity ?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Void Born

Do you hear the voices too?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Our character was void born but was raised on a hive world. You know, to be the most sociopathic jackoff there is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Looking exciting already. It's 23:20 CET here in Denmark, so I'll be getting some shuteye, and then doing a final tally and the next update when I get up in the morning.

In the meantime, repent your sins and praise the God-Emperor.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hive World! Never seeing the sun breeds character.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Hive World because agoraphobia speaks to the heart of goons

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Void-born Mind Cleansed. Hello Nameless One.

Sex Reflex
Jul 13, 2003

dendrophile thinks i am swell as hell
I'm gonna have to go with Hive World as well.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

untalented posted:

Schola Progenium because our character needs to be put in the roughest situations possible.

I think I'm going to have to agree on this one. Going with Schola Progenium!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Void Born. This'll be fun.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Schola Progenum
Hate. The Emperor's greatest gift to mankind. This is the source of wrath and the steel behind our will. Amen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

We have a tie. Going to let this roll on for one hour sharp, and then update. Votes are stuck between Hive World and Void-Born, but Schola Progenum is nearly up there (5 votes for HW and VB, 4 for Schola).

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 17, 2009

CaptainHaddock
Oct 19, 2005
THE REASON PROHIBITION DIDN'T WORK WAS BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KILL EVERYONE

PS GO SINGAPORE ^____^

Hive World since the OP seems to want it as well.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Hive World nothing better than a ganger.

Tias
May 25, 2008

CaptainHaddock posted:

Hive World since the OP seems to want it as well.

Just voted that for fun and games. If you want something else more yourself, please go ahead and change your vote.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Leaving voting open for the time it makes me a sandwhich, then closed for update :)

Voting is closed.
Hive World: 7
Void Born: 5
Schola Progenum: 4
Mind-Cleansed: 1
Feral World: 1

Update within the hour.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 17, 2009

CaptainHaddock
Oct 19, 2005
THE REASON PROHIBITION DIDN'T WORK WAS BECAUSE WE DIDN'T KILL EVERYONE

PS GO SINGAPORE ^____^

Tias posted:

Just voted that for fun and games. If you want something else more yourself, please go ahead and change your vote.

Nah, Hive world is good for me. Thanks though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The character so far

Our character is a hiver, therefore possessing a number of traits:

Accustomed to Crowds
The character grew up in a society of billions, and can navigate through even the densest masses with ease. This means no penalties or knockdown risks when charging or running through a crowd of people, no matter how thick.

Caves of Steel
In most of the Imperium, no one knows why machinery and technology works, just that it does, and under the tutelage of the Machine-Cult, worship it with great fervour as to not anger the spirits within the machine. As a hiver, our character is a bit more used to technology than most, and surrounded by it all his life, it is not as much as arcane mystery as something he can relate to. In practice, this means he treats Tech-Use as a basic rather than an advanced skill, a handy knack indeed.

Hivebound
Growing up in a hive hab-block, the character feels only abject terror, bordering on religious dread, when under the open sky or in outdoors terrain. He suffers a penalty to survival tests when outside, and a penalty to intelligence tests when away from "proper habitation", that is, places without electric/plasma power, running water, manufactured goods or solid ceilings.

Wary
With gang shoot-outs, massive riots and hive-quakes more the rule than the exception in his life, our man is constantly on his toes and alert to the world around him. He is one of the few lucky character types to have a bonus to Initiative rolls.

Current stats:

WS: 40
BS: 31
S: 31
T: 24
Ag: 35
Int: 24
Per: 29
WP: 37
Fel: 33
Wounds total: 11

Fate Points: 3
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0
Thrones: 75

Skills:

Basic: Speak Low Gothic (Hive Dialect), Tech-Use, Swim OR Drive Ground Vehicle.

Talents: Melee Weapons Training (Primitive), Basic Weapons Training (Las), Pistol Weapons Training (Las) and Basic Weapons Training (Solid Projectile).

Here's the roll-up. While I principle would allow a reroll if there's sentiment for it, it's one of the best rolls we could end up with. He has maximum possible Weapon Skill, a real asset in a world where hand-to-hand combat can and will happen. Average strength, perception and ballistic skill is as much as could be hoped for, and while his toughness is markedly on the weak side, he has average wounds and strong willpower as well as a whopping 3 fate points, which is uncommonly high for a hiver.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 17, 2009

Tias
May 25, 2008

We now have a number of choices to make. Fluff-wise, the most important is which planet we come from. Barrenus Hive Worlds and their associated regiments are shown here:

"Lexicanum Barrenus; Adeptus Munitorum sub-manual U-B-XG122.5 posted:

Columna IV = 88th Columna Black Devils
Raised in the harsh hive factories or perhaps even the underhive of one of the four great hive worlds that hosts the Sector Government, Columnans are proud and consider themselves a cut above the rest. Funny, that, considering the Columnan hivers are criminal, slightly insane, brutally violent and generally a bunch of scum and villains. Our character will be a real live wire, unhinged and not a little bloodthirsty, and will start with a gang heirloom weapon.

Nalla = The 56th Nallani Rifles
Nallanian soldiers are considered odd even by imperial standards. They are cheeky, secretive and mind their honour - our character will be chalartanesque and with a knack for getting by. Members of the 'Rifles generally have good morale for a specific reason: Nalla produces fine-quality bionics, and a soldier mauled in battle can expect an excellent augmented artificial limb if he is judged worthy of the effort. Our conscript will start with a pair of cybernetic lens for eyes, lens all riflemen in the 56th are implanted with as a rite of entry.

Rodiah = The 34th Rodiah Airborne
Most Rodians are stout manufactorum workers who know their way around technology. The many aerospace craft made on the planet means the planetary IG regiments host a high-number of transport planes, and other guardsmen who meet them consider the Rodians a bit crazy - After all, riding a plane into a warzone is a good way to die before you even get to shoot the enemy! Our character will have a technical knack, and can opt to become a drop trooper if he wants to (not necessarily an advantage in any way).

Then we have to vote on a Guardsman secondary skill. We have to pick either Swim og Drive Ground Vehicle. Both of which are extremely handy, so it could go either way.

And then we have to pick an upgrade pack, of which I've made three to vote on:

All-Round:
+5 Weapon Skill increase
+5 Ballistic Skill increase
Pistol Training (Solid Projectile)
+1 Wound

Assault:
+5 Weapon Skill increase
+5 Strength increase
Awareness
Pistol Training (Solid Projectile)

Practical:
+5 Ballistic Skill increase
Swim or Drive Vehicle (The Guardsman Sec. skill we don't vote in)
Awareness
+1 Wound

tl;dr: Cast three votes:
- one on our home planet and regiment (Columna, Nalla or Rodiah. What you pick decides equipment and talents)
- one on which secondary skill (Swim og Drive Ground) we'll select
- one on which upgrade package we get (All-round, Assault or Practical), their name describes roughly what aspect of military life they make our man better at.

Voting is open for approximately seven or eight hours, so get cracking trooper!

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 17, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
- Catachan II
- Jungle Concealment
- Muscle Pack

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Columna IV = 88th Columna Black Devils
Practical
Drive

Tias
May 25, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

- Catachan II
- Jungle Concealment
- Muscle Pack

Read the post, our character hails from a hive world.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's just his cover story. He's really stuck in hiding.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Rodiah
Swim
Practical

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Rodiah
Swim
Practical

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Rodiah
Drive
All-Around

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
Rodiah
Drive
Practical

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Nalla Because Sean Bean is awesome.
Swim
Assault

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nalla.
Drive.
Assault.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rodiah
Drive
Assault

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005