Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nalla.
Drive.
Assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cain "Rat" Zetkin is my suggestion. Go with given or nickname, both ways sound like some kind of 40's pulp scifi hero.

Also, our trooper comes with an entrenching tool, eh? I smell success.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Alright, I can see why some might object to Cain. (But if you're questioning the good Commissar's worth, be advised the punishment is summary execution.)

How 'bout Quint? Fifth son of a fifth son. :v:

I also stand by Zetkin. Jaghatai is a Primarch's name, after all, and while that doesn't mean it can't be used, it would be strange, I think, for an unassuming grunt guardsman to come from a family apparently named for a Primarch.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Quint "Rat" Zelkin.

Rat Zelkin in the 40th and 3/4s Millenium!

edit: I not gud with time

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My vote is for grabbing the shield and going hand-to-hand. Rat has a goddamn entrenching tool. If it's good enough for Green Berets in good ol' 1989, it's good enough for Imperial Guardsmen in the 40th Millenia. :colbert:

As for the chainsword, well, Commissars tend to carry them, and everyone knows how often the Commissariat loses men in combat conditions. :ese:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Zetkin has a shield. Advance with it, attempting to cover both yourself and Tilla, who seems ready for CC.

Oh, and quickly scrounge for some spare ammo clips from the dead guys around you. They're not using it anymore. The Emperor Provides.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I figure Zetkin goes for the gusto due to a careful, calculated analysis of the situation.

Just crawled out of a crash, narrowly escaping death. A Commissar is gunning down a soldier who is decidedly NOT Rat Zetkin, Emperor be praised. :colbert: Staying in a position under fire is a losing proposition, with almost certain death the result. Storming the fortified position behind a shield, with a teammate to help bust skulls? Likely death, but maybe a chance to get his loving head together in the formerly-occupied charnel house and figure a way out of this insanity.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Assuming his shield is like a modern-day riot shield, I suggest moving into the room using the shield as a cover for your small three-man fireteam. Zetkin is the cover provider, Tilla and Regis behind him and to each side with shotguns or lasrifles. Keep a pistol in hand in case things get hairy, but Zetkin shouldn't have to break defense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I say go artillery hunting. Keep the shield, keep the sword, saw that shotgun off if at all possible ("I like to keep this one handy. For close encounters."), entrenching tool :black101:, and grab some grenades off the assholes we just killed. Nothing quite says "Tag, you're it!" like a frag in the foxhole.

(I option to keep the shield because it's saved Rat's rear end repeatedly in the past half hour. Hockey players won't wash their jock straps in playoffs; would you ditch your lucky shield? :v:)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Three grenades sounds good to me.

I'm assuming you have character rollups for the other soldiers, yeah? Could we, at some point, get to know them a bit? I'd like for Zetkin (and us) to maybe form attachments with his compadres, so it sucks more when they're brutally blown away in a failing of the dice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I have an alternative strategy.

Trantor and Atrix go for the fire team. They can lob a grenade into the enemy's midst, pick off whomever's left with closer weapons. Zetkin and Hax should snipe the artillery crew immediately before the grenade goes off, then aid Trantor and Atrix if needed. Coordination is key!

I mean, it would almost make more sense to have three men go for the fire team, but Rat's done enough Almost Dying in Entertaining and Dangerous Ways lately to go with them. And he can't be the lone gunman, because there's just too much glory in that. So, my compromise. And it was unintentional to put on the assault team the two dudes you mentioned likely to die, Tias.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 24, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Not only can the crewmen give aid to the fireteam in some way, but the guy on top of the Baz has a vox unit. Someone's feeding him coordinates, after all, so he can easily scream back at them about the attack. Silence him, and perhaps the perpetually-disorganized PDF won't notice his lack of talkback until we've blown the battery and disappeared back into the shadows. WE AM THE NIGHT.

Tias posted:

Woah now, I haven't put them in a "kill off category" or anything. They are the most likely if Rat's acquaintances to die right now because they are the only other characters in the current scene, not the other way around. The dice decide whether they actually kick the bucket or not.

True, I just found it funny how I wound up putting the two people you named as potentially die-able on the more personally-lethal of the two missions.

But if Trantor takes a couple dozen bullets for the team, I don't think he'll be missed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hot drat, that went swimmingly. Do they still make Guinness 40,000 years in the future? The boy deserves at least a couple pints.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Look for Vrokvrok, then take a nap. If poo poo's gonna go down, we'll find out eventually, right? No sense worrying til then. And since we're still good from the last patch on the injury, so a nap seems in order.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Even Shaeffer was an ensign once.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The correct answer to this quandry is "Should I be?" but "Nope." is probably less likely to wind up with Quint in the stockade.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Infiltrate.

Also, loot a cardboard box from somewhere. We'll be needing it.

VVVVV For this.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 4, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No man left behind, or the badasses leave US behind.

But, uh, that said. What's the tactical situation with those four dudes we could assault?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sound Constitution and swim, sure.

Since my vote's cast, what's common lore: IG get us?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

East beach. Semper fi, do and/or die.

Ooorah.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My favourite bit of fluff is that Commissars shoot Guardsmen with the idea that, if the soldiers are more terrified of the man in the hat than they are of the actual enemy, they'll readily throw themselves into the charnel maw of battle just to get away from a certain death at the hands of the Commissar.

Commissars got nothing on Psykers.

loving hide.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

We're on the same page here. I just think possibly being the lone survivor is preferable to a horrifying death as our flesh is melted off our SOUL.

I mean, who's to say the Commissar won't abruptly go "Oh gently caress this, I don't do fat chicks Psyker battles!" and run away his own drat self?

I still maintain we should find a hidey-hole. Call it "really good cover" if you'd like, but there's nowhere we can go now to really get away from some Psyk's mindfire anyway. Unless we turn out to be Gunner Jurgen's long-lost brother, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Is not a Guardsman entitled to the sweat of his own brow?

"No!" says the Commissar behind him. "It belongs to the Imperium!"

• Locked thread