Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Cardboard Box A posted:

A local comics shop moved recently and dumped a lot of their stock, I picked up the first four TPBs for a dollar each. Anything I should know that isn't in the character guide in the first post?

If you value your virginal state, tread softly for bare spoilers lavish in every post.

LadyPictureShow posted:

...Then i realized it really seemed to tunnel vision in on Rick, Glenn and Michonne. Now it's Rick, Carl and Abe. I liked the side characters (like those conversations between Hershel and Axel in the prison)...

I hope that the focus will shift away from Rick and Carl and give us a fresh perspective. I think Stumbly Wumbly brought up an interesting point - some members of the group trying to reintegrate into a "normal life" would be interesting. Glenn and Andrea are the only ones I think that could make the jump back to "normal." Maybe Rick could, but Carl is probably very deeply broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I have no idea why, but it has always bothered me that we don't know any of the last names of the characters except the Greene family. Even at Glenn's wedding, nobody dropped a family name!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Walking Dead is a mixed bag to me. At first, I liked it. Then i realized it really seemed to tunnel vision in on Rick, Glenn and Michonne. Now it's Rick, Carl and Abe. I liked the side characters (like those conversations between Hershel and Axel in the prison), but it's not that suspenseful when you can pretty much figure who's zombie bait and who's not.

I agree, Walking Dead is great when it does its ensemble thing. Axel, gimmicky as he was, was probably one of my favorite characters. I remember when he and Dale were walking around the perimeter of the fence, driving nails into zombies and Axel was just being Axel. Crazy Jim was great, too. Maybe I just have a thing for the quirky, one-dimensional characters.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Caufman posted:

I have no idea why, but it has always bothered me that we don't know any of the last names of the characters except the Greene family.
That's not accurate. Rick's last name is Grimes, as is the rest of his family. Abraham's last name is Ford. Rosita's last name is Espinosa. Eugene's last name is Porter. Gabriel's last name is Stokes. Morgan's last name is Jones.

As for the series changing directions, I really hope that Washington DC has been protected. It would be interesting to see the gang living in a relatively small urban area under military control.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I doubt it, he said the prison arc was a mistake because it felt too safe.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Humanity should start to rebuild at some point, tho. Thinking back, there've been 2 winters in Walking Dead? 3?

The Edge
Oct 22, 2005
Honestly, I think the Washington DC arc will shift things in a different direction. I can't find the interview for a source but it's called "Hope" and deals with the gang getting readjusted to living in a protected area. Turns out that DC is actually well defended from the zombie plauge and fresh with supplies.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My suspension of disbelief for zombies really drops off in the long term as far as stories go. Still, this was a pretty good series, but seriously, how long would a human last in the elements without remembering to eat or drink or find shelter? after a couple of years zombies would be pretty sparse, if there were any left at all.

Alright, i'm done nerding out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

My suspension of disbelief for zombies really drops off in the long term as far as stories go. Still, this was a pretty good series, but seriously, how long would a human last in the elements without remembering to eat or drink or find shelter?

I dunno, what if they didn't need to eat or sleep, didn't feel the cold and had something retarding their decay?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I dunno, what if they didn't need to eat or sleep, didn't feel the cold and had something retarding their decay?

poo poo dude that would make them, zombies, or something.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

My suspension of disbelief for zombies really drops off in the long term as far as stories go. Still, this was a pretty good series, but seriously, how long would a human last in the elements without remembering to eat or drink or find shelter? after a couple of years zombies would be pretty sparse, if there were any left at all.

Really depends on what is reanimating the zombies.

If it's a virus, then it's still going to need a food source to produce the energy to keep the muscles working. And eventually they'll break down and rot.

If it's supernatural (Hell is full, aliens, radiation from space, what have you) then anything goes.

That's the best part of writing fiction. You can make poo poo up, and no one can really argue with you about it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Humanity should start to rebuild at some point, tho. Thinking back, there've been 2 winters in Walking Dead? 3?

I'm not 100% sure, but i heard somewhere that the whole series has taken place over less than a year, probably closer to the 9-10 month mark. As far as i can remember, it's only been one winter, although it's probably getting close to another one.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Wa11y posted:

Really depends on what is reanimating the zombies.

If it's a virus, then it's still going to need a food source to produce the energy to keep the muscles working. And eventually they'll break down and rot.

If it's supernatural (Hell is full, aliens, radiation from space, what have you) then anything goes.

That's the best part of writing fiction. You can make poo poo up, and no one can really argue with you about it.

Oh, well I thought it was obvious that nothing stops devil zombies - at that point I'd find a reliable firearm and eat a bullet, cause that poo poo's unstoppable, but there's really no disease on earth that's going to protect you from the freezing point of water. Even if you don't feel the cold (really good weed, opium, general stupidity, zombification) it's gonna have it's effects. Really the best treatment of zombies was 28 days later. I was like, wouldn't they all just be hosed up and starved half to death after a while? Sure enough, at the end of the movie, they're husks that can barely move.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gassire posted:

I doubt it, he said the prison arc was a mistake because it felt too safe.

Maybe he'll take a page from WWZ and have the government actually be holed up in California, forcing our dudes to make another cross country trek.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
I can see Dr. Mullet and the DC situation going in a couple different possible directions:

1) Dr. M is straight up lying, maybe he has family in DC and the only way he could get a group to come with him was to make up an excuse. Maybe he was a fan of Romero/Max Brooks/etc before the apocolypse so he's kinda sorta been not lying on being an "expert".

2) He isn't lying but he gets killed or is too late and DC has collapsed already.

3) Super WTF Kirkman Twist: he isn't lying, they get to dc and it's protected but it's occupied by the British/ Chinese/some country that's gotten it's poo poo together faster than the US and decided to come over and see how we're holding up...and maybe take some territory.

Premeditated Toast fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 25, 2009

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

I really, really, really hate people who complain about "unrealistic zombies". Realism went out the door the minute people started dying and getting back up, and after getting up their bodies are somehow able to function despite any injury aside from a head wound. To me, whining about how zombies would work in real life is like whining about how magic is represented in a certain fantasy movie.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but i heard somewhere that the whole series has taken place over less than a year, probably closer to the 9-10 month mark. As far as i can remember, it's only been one winter, although it's probably getting close to another one.

It must be longer than that though, Rick's wife had time to get pregnant and have the baby. It was alive for a while, and it's been a while since they died too. I'm thinking it's probably 12-15 months.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Premeditated Toast posted:

3) Super WTF Kirkman Twist: he isn't lying, they get to dc and it's protected but it's occupied by the British/ Chinese/some country that's gotten it's poo poo together faster than the US and decided to come over and see how we're holding up...and maybe take some territory.

I think the first part of your twist is going to end up being the case (Eugene is in/was in contact with someone in the DC Safezone), and the second part is more of a "I wish" idea. Though I think it falls into 28 Days/Weeks Later territory and after the opening of the series has an almost identical opening to 28 Days Later (which Kirkman swears up and down he had never seen/heard of at the time he wrote it) I don't think he's willing to go the angle that another superpower rode out the storm successfully and is going to make a run at Colonies 2.0.

Though if we found out that America has had its poo poo together west of the mississippi the entire time that'd be fun.

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
I really love this series. I really liked that they didn't gently caress around and went to town on those cannibals. I like that the main characters in the book for the most part aren't on some moral higher ground.

A friend of mine at work is also reading it, and on more than one occasion has told me that he would totally love it if everyone just died somehow except Carl and he somehow became the chick from the lovely Resident Evil movies - some super zombie killing machine. :wtf: I didn't bother telling him he's retarded because those movies sucked, and this comic would suck too if that ever happened.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

Soulwrangler posted:

Words

You're right, it is mostly just wishful thinking on my part. One of the things I love about the series is how kirkman manages to spring a cliffhanger on the very last page Maggie hanging herself, Dexter telling the gang to leave the prison, etc which was really frustrating when I collected just the trades. It would be another nifty moment if the gang gets near DC, see troops in the distance and start running to them just to find out that the soldiers have their guns pointed at them and are yelling in Mandarin. The west coast scenario makes more sense though, but man would that be a long trip, they've just been going up and down the east coast so far; I dread the thought of them trying to make it through the Rockies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just started reading this series. Trying to catch up for the next issue, I'm on #55 now. I like that he's not afraid to kill established characters and turn everything to poo poo in the course of 1 or 2 issues.

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
That's another thing I really like about it, and I hope that is something that will be in the TV series. Killing off characters in a comic is a lot easier than killing off actors in television where actors more or less become staples in a series and play a big part in marketing. For me the concept of no one being safe is amazing and I would be sold already, but I don't know how well that would fly. Of course I'm no big wig TV producer or anything, so what do I know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

That's another thing I really like about it, and I hope that is something that will be in the TV series. Killing off characters in a comic is a lot easier than killing off actors in television where actors more or less become staples in a series and play a big part in marketing.
ER survived for quite a while with a revolving cast.

I mean, poo poo, one guy had his arm amputated by a chopper blade, had a prosthetic put in,then was crushed by another copter. The rich boy doc was stabbed by a paranoid schizophrenic, got hooked on drugs, went through rehab, had a miscarriage...

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
Wow. I never watched ER, but that's almost cool enough for me to think about considering watching it one day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can't find #63 anywhere. My local comic shop was sold out and ebay wants $15 for it. :(

BOOMAN
Dec 4, 2007

Now I am leaving for no rason

Scarecrow411 posted:

You'll be done with it in one night. Get a box of tissues - you'll use them either way.

What do you mean? Its gets really good or really bad or do I become really horny?

Anyone own the omnibus vol.1? Is it worth buying?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

BOOMAN posted:

What do you mean? Its gets really good or really bad or do I become really horny?

Anyone own the omnibus vol.1? Is it worth buying?

It gets really good, it gets really sad and yes, you will feel funny in your pants.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can't find #63 anywhere. My local comic shop was sold out and ebay wants $15 for it. :(

Why would #63 be in such high demand?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

teekun posted:

Why would #63 be in such high demand?

It was the issue with Chew issue 1 in it. That might be why.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Len posted:

It was the issue with Chew issue 1 in it. That might be why.

That's pretty odd considering it was a B&W preview and Chew #1 was printed stand-alone in color. I know it sold out like three different printings, but I wouldn't expect that would increase the demand of a pack-in preview like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

teekun posted:

That's pretty odd considering it was a B&W preview and Chew #1 was printed stand-alone in color. I know it sold out like three different printings, but I wouldn't expect that would increase the demand of a pack-in preview like that.

It was B&W but still the full issue so for anyone who wasn't able to get one of the color printings it's better than nothing.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Len posted:

It was B&W but still the full issue so for anyone who wasn't able to get one of the color printings it's better than nothing.

Right, but if you're going to pay $15 for a copy of Chew, wouldn't you just get an actual copy of Chew? Are the second and third printings reselling for that much? It's just really strange to me. Unless there's some sort of perceived value that the B&W preview holds over the actual first issue?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

teekun posted:

Unless there's some sort of perceived value that the B&W preview holds over the actual first issue?

I wouldn't put it past people thinking the B&W print is worth more. I stopped trying to understand nerd thought long ago.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You can colour the black and white version yourself.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
So about the zombies:
There are definitely different types of zombie. Every group we've seen has divided the zombies into two categories. They've gone by different names, but I think they're all just zombies that sit around until woken up by someone, and the zombies that wander all the time.

Then, in the last TPB, Dr. Mullet pointed out a zombie that was just sitting around, and too lifeless to even get up.

Zombies seem to tend to herd together, never attack each other, are attracted to noises and seem to have some basic communication. In the first book, Glenn and Rick managed to wander freely in town by making themselves smell like zombies. Michonne did something similar by having two mouthless zombies wander around with her.

Zombie bites are pretty quickly fatal, unless the bitten part is chopped off.

I'm going off memory here, anything I'm missing\wrong on? I don't know if Kirkman has an exact Zombie ecosystem figured out, but I'm pretty sure he's working off some guidelines.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Was that Bill Maher on the last page of Issue 67? I mean, I know it's not, but still, that would be kind of funny.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For those wondering about the timeline, Kirkman addressed it in the letter page. It's been a year. It started in the fall and now it's the fall again.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I caught on to this series a few months back and now own I think 64 issues of it. I love Zombie apocalypse stories and this is some well done story-telling. I'm very excited about the Walking Dead tv series coming to fruition on AMC. Whether it works or not will be dependent on who they cast...it is a drama first and foremost.

I like the Zombies in this. They're relatively soundless and seem to follow scent. There is no wasted space trying to explain them..they're just there.

As I'm getting into the recent issues I'm wondering how the story will continue. It can't get worse for Rick and the gang. We've seen great characters fall pretty regularly. They're all pretty drat thin by now. Can't wait to see what awaits them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Well I guess that answers that about Crazy DC Scientist guy.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Yeah, it was pretty much the most obvious reveal ever. Even I saw it coming and I never see stuff like that coming. Except Beth breaking up with Yorick, I thought that was pretty obvious from early on too.

I guess he might accidentally be right about Washington being safe though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Iggles posted:

I guess he might accidentally be right about Washington being safe though?

I hope not, I'm looking forward to some old fashioned hiding in the ruins.

• Locked thread