Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can't continue to read this thread because I'm afraid I will end up buying the DVDS, which I really can't afford right now.

There are moments in Twin Peaks that are literally the most scared I've ever been watching any form of media. Granted I was 12 or 13 at the time, but I can still see some of those moments vividly in my mind, and it STILL scares me. I had the coolest summer camp counselor ever. Once or twice a week before bedtime we would watch 1 or 2 episodes of Twin Peaks(he had the VHS tapes of the first season).

So yea, imagine watching that show in the middle of the woods after dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was first exposed to Twin Peaks in a pretty interesting way. I was about 12 years old and my counselor at summer camp(it was a sleepaway camp) started showing us 1 or 2 episodes a night as a way to get us into bed and as a reward for not being assholes for a day. So on the one hand, yea the guy was a really cool camp counselor for doing that, but on the other hand wtf was he thinking because when the lights went out I sat there staring at the ceiling for like an hour after each episode.

And don't get me started on Bob, I'm a major horror fan but to this day nothing I've seen has gotten under my skin the way Bob did. The visions of him that a few of the characters have are the most terrifying scenes in any media ever. He's not just creepy(he's that too), he's loving TERRIFYING. I imagine that guy got recognized everywhere during the run of the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching Twin Peaks right now, its the first time I've had a really good grasp of whats happening in the town from the start and I think that knowledge makes everything more disturbing actually. When you know the (capital E) Evil that lives there and feeds off of everyone, you can see the effects all over the place. When you think about it its a cool way to explain all the insane stuff that goes on in your typical Melrose Place/Desperate Housewifes type show. All the cheating, scheming, sexual assaults, and worse are because the whole town is just being used to generate suffering to feed on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hearing about the 25th anniversary of that episode makes me realize its been almost 20 years since my insane summer camp counselor showed his bunkhouse full of 10-11 year olds Twin Peaks. We watched two episodes each night(it was a "reward" for good behavior), and we did get pretty hooked by the end.

My point in telling the story is that we were in the middle of nowhere in the woods with very little light besides flashlights. The guys used the one outlet in his room to run an extension cord for the TV/VCR combo he had. It wasn't unusual to have to take a flashlight and walk in pitch dark to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Needless to say experiencing Twin Peaks in those circumstances made quite an impression on me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Please tell me there were owls in the woods. And that's what gave him the idea.

There were absolutely owls in the woods, the camp is in Maryland so no pine trees but still it was loving dark woods that a kid could theoretically just walk into and disappear. We were like 30 minutes by car from any real civilization.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The movie isn't really covering anything that you don't already know is happening/has happened from the show, but it strips away most of the charm that the town had and shows you the rotten core of the place. I think it really works well as a companion piece to the show because its still Twin Peaks, but you're through the looking glass now, no more pulling any punches. No hilarious Andy scenes to break up the hopelessness that was Laura Palmer's life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always wondered about that. When Bob was inside Leland he didn't have total control all the time, or he at least chose to allow Leland to exercise some control some of the time.

If they had continued with the story I wonder if Cooper would have been aware of Bob's presence, or if Cooper is even in there at all anymore. His soul could have been completely consumed by Bob like he did to Earle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hockeyfrog posted:

Scariest character on television, hands down.
(also seriously why does Quote not like Spoiler tags? Sorry about that.)

I'm trying to think of any character from any form of media that effected me as much as Bob, and I can't come up with anything. I first saw Twin Peaks when I was 12-13 years old and I held back from rewatching it for several years because I didn't want to have to see Bob again. It was like he was doing what the character from the show does, he invaded my mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

In the film when Laura goes into the Lodge during one of her dream sequences Annie is there and says "The good Dale is trapped in the lodge and can't leave. Write it down in your journal." If I'm not mistaken the prevailing theory is that the Dale that is inhabited by Bob is the doppleganger of the actual Dale. The real Dale is being held in the lodge by the spirits there I guess. Presumably he'd have gotten out of there somehow during season three, but I guess we'll never know.

Makes sense. At the very end of the finale Cooper is chased by his doppleganger through the Lodge, presumably it catches him.

The Lodge obviously does some weird stuff with time. Earle tells Annie that "They have an appointment at the end of the world", Cooper looks like an old man in his dream meeting with Laura, and in the finale Laura tells him she'll see him again in 25 years. So maybe Cooper goes into the Lodge and stays there for at least 25 years, and at the end of it Laura tells him who the killer is. He dreams about this future meeting much earlier though which leads to him solving the murder before he actually goes into the Lodge. In fact he's been dreaming about Bob's exploits for a long time, as shown in Fire Walk with Me, so maybe exposure to the Lodge effects your past, present, and future all at once.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I've always taken FWWM as a kind of ripple-effect version of what happened before the series. Not exactly what happened originally, but a new version where BOB has always been a part of Coop in some way.

Without getting too spergy about the time element, I think a better way to describe it is that time is compressed in the Lodge. The past, present, and future are all happening simultaneously when you are in there, so its possible for you to gain knowledge that your past self may be able to use before you were "supposed" to have it. In fact that may be all there is to the "power" that Earle is after.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems like an obvious photoshop to me but that doesn't make it any less creepy. I haven't looked but I assume somewhere on the internet someone has photoshopped Bob into all sorts of various situations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zesty Mordant posted:

Good thoughts, and most of your questions will be answered in time. I totally agree about Leo's house.

About this, though:

I've watched the series twice and I couldn't tell you the specifics of this. It gets more complicated.

I think the main gist of it is that Josie Packard was married to the guy who owned the mill, so she now owns it and doesn't want to sell it or tear it down. Horne wants it because he wants to turn Twin Peaks into the next Aspen or whatever. Various shenanigans ensue from there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Fire Walk with Me last night because I wanted to see if I could pick out some good info about Bob/The Lodge that I had missed. I think it was a mistake because Fire Walk with Me is so goddamn emotionally draining that its not worth it just to nerd out on little details. The final scene, with Laura and Cooper in the Lodge and she's laughing/crying hysterically, is like the heaviest feeling of real hopelessness I've ever had from a film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

I haven't seen that movie in a while, but wasn't the final scene in the lodge meant to be sorta hopeful?

If it was then gently caress, it was a failure.

She sees the angel or whatever it is, and then laughs/cries like she's a character in a Lovecraft story. Incredibly unsettling. I can maybe see what you're saying in that she's finally free of Bob and the angel is I'm sure supposed to signify that, but she's loving dead and you can tell she's really sad about it. Then when she laughs its almost nihilistic. It did not fill me with hope.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

It wasn't a decision, the Network forced Lynch to reveal the killer. He never wanted to.

Personally I'm glad the network made that decision and that things worked out the way they did. I enjoy being able to go back and watch like 16 episodes(or whatever it is) of a complete mystery story with a beginning, middle, and end. I don't think the show would have made as big an impression on me if Leland was never revealed as the killer along with his connection to Bob being more or less explained. I enjoy that the show has a mythology to it that isn't 100% inaccessible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skyscraper posted:

In character in real life, I suppose, but if there's any show that would advocate for its characters having a strange dark side, it would be Twin Peaks.

Well Cooper is the outsider of the show, and all of the locals who live in Twin Peaks lead double and triple lives, so it makes sense that he would be the only one to be 100% straightforward. I think his insistence on being honest when describing his crazy investigative techniques(dreams, Tibetan rock throwing) is to contrast with everybody else on the show who is lying to at least one person in their life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is this real or am I in the Black Lodge?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know its really dumb to try to predict what Lynch of all people will do, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm thinking Twin Peaks starts to experience another run of Bob-like crimes. The dwarf/Mike/the one-armed man will release Cooper from the Lodge after 25 years in order to stop Bob, and Cooper will have to do so while adjusting to the fact that he's been out of the loop for two and a half decades.

I'm interested in finding out what Bob has been up to all this time, I doubt he would have just stayed in the Lodge for 25 years. Too much suffering to collect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Since we can't have the true Bob back, maybe its better if he remains a legend. People in Twin Peaks speak about him in hushed whispers and like to pretend he's not real. The villain(s) can just be doppelgangers, Evil Dale included obviously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want Ray Wise to be involved in this for sure, but if he just plays Bob again that may be too much of a rehash. I'm struggling to think of how he could be both alive and not possessed by Bob.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DominoDancing posted:

You say Harry Goaz, I say Lara Flynn Boyle. I know that she's had a lot of work done, but that photo is really unfortunate.

Several of those photos are really terrible lighting or something. You can see Sheryl Lee in the corner of Grace Zabriskie's picture and they both seem to have this weird greasy, plastic sheen to their face. I assume that's just what makeup looks like when you catch it at exactly the right(wrong) angle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boss Man Bing posted:

I have never seen this show. I have wanted to watch this show for many years. I finally have my hands on season one, season 2, and fire walk with me.

I've been reading this and I just can't believe I've waited this long, but I think in a way it's good because I know I'll really appreciate it now. I can't overstate how excited I am to begin watching it when I get home.

Any suggestions of things to look out for specifically? Or if there's something I should go into it knowing? I'm quite good at following obscure clues and story lines (and finding little tie-together things)

Also, should I watch season one twice before season 2? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything, but my plan was to watch it fully through twice in order.

Its probably better the first time you watch to just go with the flow. If you try to decipher every single mysterious sounding line of dialogue you'll go insane. Save that for the second viewing when you already know the basic framework of the story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

All I know is that it's going to be hard to make a new season of Twin Peaks without Sheriff Truman. So hopefully Michael Ontkean is on board.

I feel the same way about like eight different characters, so I'm thinking watching this will be a very bittersweet experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

Yeah, I just saw that. It's in the first third of season 2 somewhere. It's the episode where the giant dude appears on stage, I believe. Man, those roadhouse music scenes are mesmerizing.

Goddamn, that scene. Everything in that scene; the music, the weird giant appearing, and then the looks on everybody's faces as they realize something is very wrong. I cry every time I watch it.

Bobby especially. The look on Bobby's face is absolutely haunting because he's always putting it on, always acting like the goofball. The despair the characters are feeling in that scene comes through the screen and as a viewer you experience it along with them. I do at least.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 13, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fact that Bobby probably doesn't even know why precisely he's so sad at that moment makes the scene all the more powerful for me.

Its not just that one thing is wrong, the whole town is wrong. Bobby and Donna more than most know how hosed up things have become in Twin Peaks and they just can't do anything about it. Especially when you watch Fire Walk with Me and see what Bobby's life was like leading up to Laura's death; he's knows full well that bad poo poo is happening in Twin Peaks and its going to keep happening.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the whole point of bringing the show back now is that 25 years have passed. It would be weird if the characters didn't look a lot older.

The list of characters I absolutely MUST see in at least one scene are as follows(leaving out BOB and Pete): obviously Cooper, Audrey, Bobby, Ed, Nadine, Dr. Jacoby, Gordon Cole, Lucy, Andy, Leland somehow, Sheriff Truman.

I'm fine with or without Donna. Her character never really did anything for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you take away the fun stuff that was floating around at the surface of Twin Peaks you take away a lot of the story of the show. A big part of it was finding out what the various goofy townsfolk were getting up to behind closed doors. All that stuff is important because this is a town where the prom queen was also a prostitute who was hooked on various drugs and all of it was to numb herself from the fact that she'd been raped by her own father repeatedly. If there's going to be some incredibly dark poo poo underneath the surface you have to actually spend some time on the surface to establish that.

There have been a thousand shows over the years that have been touted as "like Twin Peaks", and this is something they often get wrong. There's always a small town, but its always really foreboding and all the characters constantly look suspicious and it probably rains a lot. You wonder why people don't just move out because it seems like a really depressing place to live. Twin Peaks can seem charming at certain points in Season 1, and the more you learn about it the more you realize its a terrible, terrible place. That slow pulling back of the curtain is critical to what the show is and why people enjoy it so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harley C posted:

Wasn't "super nadine" her being controlled by bob?

Not sure where you're getting that from

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm already excited about the rumblings of a new season of this show, I have no idea how it must be for people that watched this show while it was airing.

There's also a shitload of people like me who were too young to watch it when it aired, but still watched it a looooong time ago at this point so the idea of resolving some of the cliffhangers is mind-blowing.

I saw it for the first time in the late 90's, but that still means I've been waiting more than 15 years for this. I'm not sure if its going to be really aggravating or refreshing to hear all the people talk about how they are watching it on Netflix for the first time to get ready for the new series. It will be weird, that's for sure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I know Lynch didn't want to reveal the killer or at least not do so that early but that reveal sequence is one of the finest segments of TV ever done so I'd say it worked out ok. I watched the series for the first time last year and even at that point I was just absolutely blown away by the show but especially by that episode.

Yea there's the reveal, which is probably the best scene in the whole series, and then there's the final scene with Leland in the jail cell, which is also excellent. I first watched the show, like most people, without any knowledge of the behind the scenes politics or the compromises Lynch was being forced to make and everything that ended up happening felt perfect to me, and still does. I wouldn't change anything about how the mystery played out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Under the vegetable posted:

I always felt really sorry for Nadine. She really has simple needs, and big ed just refuses to give her what she needs. She's insane but she would be better off if he'd gave her closure one way or another. She knows he doesn't love her, he knows he's unhappy and resents her, but they both act the relationship out because they're too scared.

I always really disliked Ed actually, because he tries to have his cake and eat it too, and refuses to be honest with or commit to either Nadine or Norma, but seems to see himself as such a victim.

As crazy as it sounds I felt like the Ed Nadine saga was really a somewhat realistic portrayal of those kind of marriages, and the fact that its tough to take a side one way or the other demonstrates that. I always really liked what they did with Nadine in Season 2, which I know puts me in the minority.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Mog posted:

FWWM was so disturbing. I mean Twin Peaks was creepy at times but it never made my skin crawl like that movie did. Honestly I find TP to be more funny in an off-kilter kind of way than anything else. FWWM, however, was a bit like being trapped in a weird nightmare that doesn't end or make sense and in which you just want to wake up. I can't quite explain just what it is about the film that skeeves me out, it just does. I guess that's why Lynch is such a masterful director.

Watching Lynch is like being inside a dream/nightmare in that you don't know what's literally happening a lot of the time and logic isn't really necessary.

Watching Fire Walk With Me is different. I know too much. I know exactly what's happening and what's going to happen to Laura. Even worse, she does too. Its one of those nightmares that's so real its clarity is frightening. You watch Laura run on the never-ending treadmill that we all do when we're running from the monster in our nightmares, and you want her to get away somehow but the conclusion is inevitable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The ring seems to be some sort of marker that the lodge spirits use to claim people, which is probably why The Man is said "with this ring, I thee wed". Its not clever or anything, he's just being a dick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its true though that for the majority of episodes the supernatural stuff is limited to a few lines here and there, and maybe one truly weird scene every once in a while. In season 2 they at least begin to talk about the weirdness a little more, but really when you think about it everything we know about the lodge is from maybe two or three scenes of exposition. There's one scene where Hawk pretty much lays out the dynamic between the Lodges, but its pretty much the only time they are spoken about so specifically.

If you go into it expecting the X-files with aliens and monsters around every corner, you'll definitely be disappointed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Funny enough I started watching the X-files again, and I got a huge Twin Peaks vibe in the first episode. The opening scene really felt like them finding Laura Palmer's body.

The cases that Cole and Cooper investigate sound a lot like X-files, and the idea for that kind of show may have come from Twin Peaks. Its just that in Twin Peaks the entire run of the show focuses on one specific case, whereas Mulder and Scully take on a new Twin Peaks-like situation every week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For me I don't even think any episodes really suck, only a few specific storylines suck and they happen to be concentrated in one stretch of episodes. Those episodes still have good stuff in them and I don't skip any of them when I rewatch the series.

There's also no true "jump the shark" moment in the series because the finale is one of the top two or three episodes in the whole run.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I definitely ended up developing almost Pavlovian responses to the music because of all the repetition of the themes. Or the roadhouse scene when the giant appears to Cooper; the scene effected me on an emotional level way beyond any other television show, I can't hear that song without the accompanying knife-to-the-heart sensation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You just know they're gonna release a trailer at some point for the return of the show and it will begin with "ITS HAPPPENING AGAIN". I look forward to that, it will be quite a geek-out moment.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering how big a part Bob will even play, it seems a little on the nose for Lynch to bring the series back after all this time and make it a Cooper v. Bob showdown. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bob character is only spoken of and the evil will come from something else, albeit something Lodge-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When Deputy Hawk describes the Lodges he says that at some point in the past the White Lodge was overtaken or absorbed by the Black Lodge, so I think it fits that they kind of occupy the same space.

Its probably better to think of the Lodges as metaphors for the human soul or something like that. An evil person wouldn't normally be able to go into the White Lodge because for them only the Black Lodge exists, and vice versa.

• Locked thread