Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What's funny about this new season to me is that I haven't the slightest idea what I want for it or expect of it. I always thought the ending to Season 2 was such a perfect note to end on, and the idea of anything after is still hard for me to comprehend.

I trust in Lynch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's a David Lynch production. Everything is a ghost from the 1950's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harley C posted:

Wasn't "super nadine" her being controlled by bob?

The timing of her strength and coma, the weird chaotic poo poo she did, the fact she was in a point of weakness beforehand, how she went back to school which is an area bob is obviously interested in and the amnesia of what happened during the time lead me to believe that.

I don't think this quite pans out but it is an interesting idea.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How disappointing.

I was pretty psyched to see Lynch doing something again, especially more TP. Oh well...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Delsaber posted:

This would make me unreasonably happy.

Throw me in this group as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Surlaw posted:

Getting the public angry at Showtime is a pretty obvious bargaining tactic.

Hell some people online are already planning Showtime boycotts, threatening to cancel subscriptions etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not quite sure what the spoiler policy is here, but I still don't understand why Cooper was shot exactly at that point. Was Josie just THAT freaked out by him being an FBI agent because...uh...????

This show often makes much more sense than it is given credit for, but I swear every plotline Josie is involved in is utterly convoluted.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 15, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just finished watching the series for the second time. That last half hour is terrifying. Gonna watch though FWWM again here soon.

I still wonder about where some of these plotlines were going to go (Like with the hand-twitching thing, or Bluebook), but part of me also kind of likes the sense of eternal mystery about this world.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

"Twin Peaks without David Lynch is like Deadly Premonition."

:coffee:

Deadly Premonition is so amazing. Rather than just being the video game version of Twin Peaks, I really do think of it as a kind of response to the show's themes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monagle posted:

Didn't lynch say that Lost Highway takes place in the same universe as twin peaks, and that the mystery man is related to the black lodge?

I believe he did, though that knowledge does little to inform about either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Let's rock!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BubbleGoose posted:

After losing Silent Hills the return of TP is giving me hope again.

You know, a collaboration between del Toro and Lynch would be really neat. Hell let's throw Kojima in there too while we're at it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He died too young, but Satoshi Kon was a surrealist.

Bown posted:

Can Bergman really be called a surrealist? Outside of works like Persona his movies aren't exactly out there.

Persona alone is so hosed up that it might be enough to call him one.

When I watched that film the only thing I knew about it was that it influenced Mulholland Dr. I was not prepared.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

passionate dongs posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Last Year In Marienbad.

I was really hoping there would be a joke about how you couldn't actually remember what happened in Last Year in Marienbad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well yeah, but how would you know? You weren't there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

That's not the way I remember it.

Well luckily I know a spirit medium that can put this to rest!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has anyone seen the FWWM deleted scenes? I haven't watched them yet, but I was thinking of plowing through them in a day or two.

spam

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love the Civil War stuff.

I like to think of all of those weirder sideplots (Like Nadine losing her memory) being induced by BOB in some way, just to screw with everyone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But now the whole 25 years later thing doesn't work!

It's 25 years...after the release of Fire Walk With Me!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a line later in the series where Laura Palmer, on one of her tapes she records for Dr. Jacoby I believe, says James is "sweet...but SO DUMB", so I think that's absolutely the intention with the character.

Frankly I never really hated James myself and found all of the disdain for him hilariously hyperbolic.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love Windam Earle if only because of the scene where he dresses up as a god drat horse in one of the weirdest callbacks the show ever did.

Or at least, I'm assuming it's meant to parallel the scene where Mrs. Palmer sees a vision of a horse.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

I always thought that in addition to the revelations reference it was just a cheap joke to suggest Sarah had been dosed with heroin.

I feel dumb for asking this, but are horses associated with heroin or something?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite Twin Peaks song is still "Dance of the Dream Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKBRyNNW3u0

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yeah I couldn't get psyched about the third season until I knew Badalamenti was on board. He's as important an element as Lynch directing, IMO

Right up there with Hitchcock/Herrman and Leone/Morricone as far as Director/Musician pairings go IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

TBF the show kind of also solves the mystery, despite Lynch's desires to the contrary.

Well...the series finale kind of throws a wrench into the explanation the show gives for the murder, by having the Killer's Doppelganger claim they weren't actually the one that killed Laura, implying that it was purely the Killer themself, and the movie only continues to explore that idea to a degree.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 13, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Which movie are we talking about here?

Mulholland Dr. was initially a television pilot, believe it or not. The last 45 or so minutes were added onto to it so it could become a feature film after the series it would have been wasn't picked up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

esperterra posted:

It was also originally pitched as an Audrey Horne spinoff.

Honestly I don't think Audrey being the lead would have added much to the film. That seems like more the kind of thing Tarantino would have done, and not someone like Lynch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I knew Mulholland Drive was a failed pilot. Thing is, that's not editing several episodes of a TV show into a movie. That's bolting 45 minutes onto the end of the TV show. And while he did use an interesting twist in having all the actors switch places, I don't think that really indicates that he can take 15 hours of film written as a continuous narrative and turn it into 15 episodes of TV in editing.

I'd say you're somewhat underselling what Lynch did with MD, but I agree with your larger point that it's different than turning 15 hours of film into 15 TV episodes or whatever (I think it's 18 episodes now, right?). Hopefully Mark Frost's presence can help structure this thing though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I actually took the film's position on the matter to be that while BOB was definitely the devil on Leland's shoulder, Leland himself was far from blameless in the murder and abuse of his own daughter.

I think it depends on what chunk of the series you're looking at, and who the main creative force was behind it at the time. Lynch certainly takes your view in the finale and FWWM (And the story is better with his interpretation IMO), but I feel like some of the non-Lynch episodes more or less use BOB as a kind of scapegoat for Leland's culpability.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember being sad when I saw that she did random splicer voices in BioShock 2, just thinking what a place to end up after her career start.

Wow, I quite like BioShock 2 but that kind of role is just...not where she should be.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Welcome to soaps.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bet Lara Flynn Boyle doesn't come back.

For some reason I just imagine her spending her life by sitting in a corner somewhere with a permanent scowl on her face.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

I still want Lara Flynn Boyle and Moira Kelly to both come back as Donnas.

One of them should just be Donna's suspiciously similar looking cousin.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

crowoutofcontext posted:

yeah, kinda strange to follow up on that incredibly minor S1 subplot with that business name. It gets me psyched to because I feel no matter how much fans theorize about what S3 Twin Peaks is going to be like its gonna be odd, surprising yet perfectly fitting.

Which S1 subplot is that?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

crowoutofcontext posted:

Minor S3 detail:
Well, if I can call Nadine's struggles to invent silent drapers a "subplot".....a picture of an exterior set for S3 depicts a home decor business with the tagline "run silent, run drapes" so one can assume that S3 Nadine is a successful business owner/ minor inventor.

That is amazing, though I'm kind of surprised to see Lynch do something like that.

regulargonzalez posted:

Prediction: The new BOB is little Nicky

Or it could be Lucy and Andy's child.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One of the clerks at the Great Northern was black too IIRC.

Not a lot of racial diversity in Lynch projects I'm afraid. Twin Peaks is actually better than most of his work in this regard because of Tommy Hawk (That name though) being a cool supporting character that had some weird foreshadowing for the season 3 we didn't get where he probably would have saved Cooper, and there's also Josie who is the most inscrutable character in the series. I still don't understand half of what Josie does in the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 22, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to be honest, I wasn't familiar with that stereotype before. Looking it up now, I can see how Josie fits into it.

I wonder if the "Mr. Tojimura" plotline is supposed to be some kind of weird commentary on the Josie plotline (And the Denise plot too, come to think of it), but that can worms almost isn't worth opening.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought he was dead for some reason. Huh.

He's not allowed to die.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dick Laurent is dead, so I don't think he could be in Twin Peaks S3 anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have seen Lost Highway, yeah. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Trap posted:

Any news on the show? Or are we just going to keep bragging about having GIRLFRIENDS?

Michael Ontkean isn't reprising his role as Truman, but Robert Forster is replacing him so luckily they got an actor that's actually good.

• Locked thread