Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, but we got a trans woman and an Indian so the minority quota was filled. Also a hilariously racist Asian costume.

There was that lady at the Great Northern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One of the clerks at the Great Northern was black too IIRC.

Not a lot of racial diversity in Lynch projects I'm afraid. Twin Peaks is actually better than most of his work in this regard because of Tommy Hawk (That name though) being a cool supporting character that had some weird foreshadowing for the season 3 we didn't get where he probably would have saved Cooper, and there's also Josie who is the most inscrutable character in the series. I still don't understand half of what Josie does in the show.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 22, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

steakmancer posted:

Was there a single black person in the entirety of Twin Peaks?

There was the gym teacher that appeared like twice and he was great and I hope he comes back.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 22, 2015

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Surlaw posted:

There was the gym teacher that appeared like twice and he was great and I hope he comes back.

Unlikely, since Ron Taylor (also known for voicing Bleeding Gums Murphy on The Simpsons) died a couple of years back :(.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Surlaw posted:

just use Huell

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

DominoDancing posted:

Unlikely, since Ron Taylor (also known for voicing Bleeding Gums Murphy on The Simpsons) died a couple of years back :(.

May he and the Major find peace in outer space, then.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There was also the FBI agent who relieved Coop of duty when he was framed by Jean Renault. I'm on my phone so I can't check, but isn't he played by Clarence Williams III?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Raxivace posted:

One of the clerks at the Great Northern was black too IIRC.

Not a lot of racial diversity in Lynch projects I'm afraid. Twin Peaks is actually better than most of his work in this regard because of Tommy Hawk (That name though) being a cool supporting character that had some weird foreshadowing for the season 3 we didn't get where he probably would have saved Cooper, and there's also Josie who is the most inscrutable character in the series. I still don't understand half of what Josie does in the show.

After season 2 Josie kinda fell into the "dragon lady" stereotype/archetype though, albeit with some twists and turns. At least in the intervening years since TP aired that one is not looked upon particularly favorably.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to be honest, I wasn't familiar with that stereotype before. Looking it up now, I can see how Josie fits into it.

I wonder if the "Mr. Tojimura" plotline is supposed to be some kind of weird commentary on the Josie plotline (And the Denise plot too, come to think of it), but that can worms almost isn't worth opening.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 22, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
[quote="Delthalaz" post="450462570"]
I've also read a couple of the last pages of this thread - I do not know the meaning of the doppelganger stuff. My interpretation was Leland killed Laura in part, but not entirely, because of his infestation by Bob - or that Bob had been in him for so long, it was hard to fully separate the two (this was complicated by FWWM). I don't quite know what to make of the evil Dale or the line that I didn't catch watching the episode from the doppelgangers (or originals) saying that they didn't do it. What do y'all think of the doppelgangers?

Not that anyone will be able to give you a point by point explanation of whats going on with the doppelgangers, but there's a pretty important line early on in I believe the second season that's really easy to miss. Deputy Hawk is describing the Black Lodge and he says that people who enter it have to confront their "shadow self", and that if they aren't pure of heart they'll be annihilated by it.

I don't think the characters are supposed to be wholly separate entities from their doppelgangers, just like the Black Lodge probably isn't a completely separate space from the White Lodge. Your doppelganger is your "bad side", and its only inside the Black Lodge that you can actually confront it face to face and destroy it. Bob is above these doppelgangers(or evil spirits or whatever you want to call them) in whatever hierarchy there seems to be in the Lodge, and having him inside you seems to be a whole different problem then just dealing with your shadow self, which Hawk says every person who enters the Lodge has to do.

So based on that, when Leland's doppelganger says that he didn't kill Laura, he's telling the truth because Bob took possession of Leland and made all that happen. Leland's doppelganger has been on the sidelines since Bob took over, and now that Leland is dead and in heaven with Laura there's nothing for the doppelganger to do but hang around the Lodge.

This is all just my interpretation so others probably have a very different one.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Jsor posted:

After season 2 Josie kinda fell into the "dragon lady" stereotype/archetype though, albeit with some twists and turns. At least in the intervening years since TP aired that one is not looked upon particularly favorably.

In the oral history book that actress talks about how she started to get a lot of pressure to leave the show because of that. Josie was a lot better when she was just clumsily trying to assimilate.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.avclub.com/article/amanda-seyfried-have-pivotal-role-twin-peaks-reviv-225610

Amanda Seyfried confirmed to have a major role in season 3.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Not a lot of racial diversity in Lynch projects I'm afraid. Twin Peaks is actually better than most of his work in this regard because of Tommy Hawk (That name though) being a cool supporting character

Some of my best friends are white!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://tvline.com/2015/09/20/twin-peaks-balthazar-getty-cast-revival-showtime/

Balthazar Getty is in season 3.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lynch stuff really touches on 'white american anxiety'

and I don't think that's a bad thing, someone's gotta do it, and there is an awful lot of white american anxiety to go around.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There's definitely not a huge amount of diversity in Lynch's work, but it also seems pretty demographically accurate for the settings his work has taken place in, primarily. Except Dune, I guess, but that movie is just totally inscrutable in a lot of ways.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

WOW. I forgot, completely, about that plotline. What was UP with it? I would love a resolution. Her character was super creepy and then just vanished.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Also Kenneth Welshe is on the IMDB but I hope the plot doesn't revolve around Windom too much.
[/quote]

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 24, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Spoiler, mild one:

Harry. Dean Stanton. on set makes me very happy. Did not expect that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Spoiler, mild one:

Harry. Dean Stanton. on set makes me very happy. Did not expect that.

I thought he was dead for some reason. Huh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I thought he was dead for some reason. Huh.

He's not allowed to die.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm glad David Lynch told people to gently caress off and stop trying to spoil the new season. I hate the constant attempts to spoil poo poo that occurs with everything now. People can't just let alone they have to do everything they can to spoil new seasons of stuff before it even happens.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just saw Alicia Witt as I'm making my way through Person of Interest, and I thought about how she NEEDS to be in Season 3. She actually appeared on Twin Peaks as a very young girl, playing Donna's younger sister. She played some mean boogie woogie on the Haywards' piano. And now she's an adult, absolutely gorgeous, and still an actress, so hopefully there's a part for her... maybe as the town's new doctor?

On that note, Rashida Jones needs to appear as Norma's daughter.

She introduced Ben Folds to David Lynch when they were dating so she's definitely still on his radar.

Also Peggy and Rashida are in a commercial together now but I forget for what.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm doing a rewatch of the series (up to Leland dying, after that the show dips in quality, right?) Wish I could see Fire Walk With Me at some point.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kurtofan posted:

I'm doing a rewatch of the series (up to Leland dying, after that the show dips in quality, right?) Wish I could see Fire Walk With Me at some point.

You can rent it on Amazon Instant for 3 bucks.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Little Donnie is dead

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Apparently, Catherine Coulson, AKA The Log Lady, just died. RIP.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wonder how this will affect shooting.

Have they actually begun filming yet? It would be nice if they have some footage of her as a farewell cameo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or if they work it into the story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

egon_beeblebrox posted:

:smith:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

quote:

"There is a sadness in this world, for we are ignorant of many things. Yes, we are ignorant of many beautiful things - things like the truth. So sadness, in our ignorance, is very real. The tears are real. What is this thing called a tear? There are even tiny ducts - tear ducts - to produce these tears should the sadness occur. Then the day when the sadness comes - then we ask: "Will this sadness which makes me cry - will this sadness that makes my heart cry out - will it ever end?" The answer, of course, is yes. One day the sadness will end."
:smith:

Team Sesh
Oct 1, 2015

by Ralp
So apparently this is being shot as one long movie and will be chopped up and edited into a television format. That should be interesting.

Clouseau posted:

In the oral history book that actress talks about how she started to get a lot of pressure to leave the show because of that. Josie was a lot better when she was just clumsily trying to assimilate.

Yeah I just rewatched the series recently and it's very jarring. She is supposed to be Chinese but they take her and the other Chinese guy and make them into some kind of Yakuza like organization. It's like some bad Van Damme movie.

BG starred in Lost Highway, which according to DL takes place in the same universe as TP. Could be a crossover. Although another site is claiming that he is playing James, since the original actor is sick, can't see Lynch recasting anyone though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone, at some point, looked at Twin Peaks, and thought that the Hong Kong mafia would be a force that would naturally appear in such a show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Team Sesh posted:

So apparently this is being shot as one long movie and will be chopped up and edited into a television format. That should be interesting.

Yeah I just rewatched the series recently and it's very jarring. She is supposed to be Chinese but they take her and the other Chinese guy and make them into some kind of Yakuza like organization. It's like some bad Van Damme movie.

BG starred in Lost Highway, which according to DL takes place in the same universe as TP. Could be a crossover. Although another site is claiming that he is playing James, since the original actor is sick, can't see Lynch recasting anyone though.

Pretty sure it's Mulholland Dr that is in the same universe as TP, not Lost Highway. Though it seems like a rather academic point anyway, can't imagine any crossover continuity between the two.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've never seen the actual Lynch quote where he implies MD and Twin Peaks are in the same universe. I feel like because MD was initially supposed to be about Audrey, people assume that it was written to be a Twin Peaks spinoff. Seems like a pre-script idea that got blown out of proportion by fans.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 2, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Team Sesh posted:

Other than Donna

Mister Lonely
Oct 3, 2015

by Ralp

Baloogan posted:

lynch stuff really touches on 'white american anxiety'

and I don't think that's a bad thing, someone's gotta do it, and there is an awful lot of white american anxiety to go around.

Yeah, I am black and Lynch's all white films have never bothered me. But it is 2015 and the SJW/Feminist movement is bigger than ever. I can see an all white show, with a bunch of helpless young girls being maimed and murdered getting some heat these days. I hope just says gently caress it, and goes out with a bang.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty sure it's Mulholland Dr that is in the same universe as TP, not Lost Highway. Though it seems like a rather academic point anyway, can't imagine any crossover continuity between the two.

Its lost highway because supposedly the creepy guy is supposed to be another member of the black lodge

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Monagle posted:

Its lost highway because supposedly the creepy guy is supposed to be another member of the black lodge

Also Maddy/Laura have merged into one ghost in the form of Patricia Arquette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope Dick comes back for the renewal.

• Locked thread