Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sgt. Politeness posted:

David Lynch returns to Twin Peaks

Came someone better in the know please debunk this bullshit for me so I can get on with my life?

Thanks in advance.
‘Twin Peaks’ co-creator: ‘No plans to revive show’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Captain Mog posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Twin-Peaks-Entire-Mystery-Blu-ray/dp/B00KCTG4PO/?tag=cbcoofsiofcb-20

Holy fucker it looks beautiful. Pre-ordered because why delay the inevitable?

Can't wait! I assume Amazon will be the cheapest preorder, right?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheBizzness posted:

The one thing about the show that everyone seems to love that I don't really care for is the score/soundtrack. While everything else about the show is wonderfully 90s I find the sound to be painfully so.
Personally, I didn't enjoy it much when I first watched the show, but I listened to it on its own outside of the show and really started to love it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want to see Cooper and Chris Isaak's characters chilling in the lodge.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The first part of season 2 is really good, it only gets bad after the mystery ends, and it's not all bad. I can't imagine stopping after season 1.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Vegetable Leo and everything they did to him was perfectly nightmarish, I can't imagine wanting to skip that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Of course that's what happened, it's ghost wood.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

rocket_man38 posted:

Just marathoned the series and FWWM. Very good show! I just don't know how I felt about FWWM though. Pointless new FBI agent, and overall it just didn't capture the spirit of the show.
The show's world is seen more or less seen through Cooper's eyes and is quirky and offbeat in the same manner he is. The movie's world is seen through Laura's and it's as disgusting and upsetting as her life is.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Slugworth posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but I am trying to avoid spoilers for this decades old show and didn't wanna read through the whole thread.

When does this get weird? All cultural references to the show are of a paranormal slant, but I'm 5 episodes in and there's been a dream, and a strangely casual mention of magic in the woods. I'm having a real 'when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?' moment here.

Most of the show's weirdness comes from the screwy soap opera satire of the normal people in town. The truly trippy stuff is great but rare.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rewatching the show now that I've got the blu-ray set: I love the Tonight in Twin Peaks promos and I hadn't seen the Log Lady Intros before. Both are fantastic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm rewatching the show on the blu-ray set and I remembered Audrey's personality changing pretty hard in the second half, but wow, it's so much more abrupt than I'd remembered. Even terrible stuff like James' soap opera plot sort of fits his character, since his thing seems to be naively trying to "save" people, but Audrey's change just doesn't fit her character at all. It's funny how much weirder she was in the pilot too, that got toned down but in a way that worked.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah, and I'm ok with that, but what they do with her instead is just so disappointing. Her friendship with Bobby doesn't fit in any way (aside from the fact that she was drawn to yet another man with slicked back hair and a suit) and the Billy Zane stuff is just horrendous.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I wouldn't be surprised if "Bob" was played by Ray Wise.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The James plot is the only part of season 2 with no redeeming qualities, just skip those scenes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Every person I know who likes this show loves the endless bank scene and the opening of season 2. Doing that sort of thing again would be closer to fan service than "trolling."

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Oh those hipsters.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Finally got to watch The Missing Pieces and really enjoyed it and jotted down some thoughts, I missed any discussion of this stuff previously so let's rock.

-Extended David Bowie scenes: his weird subplot actually works and makes the Evil a more omnipresent threat than something contained to the Twin Peaks area.
-You see nearly every character in the series except for the Hornes
-Truman doesn't feel like the same person at all.
-Pete and Mr. Mibbler arguing about 2x4's is awesome.
-Finally seeing post-Season 2 content is cool but wouldn't have made a good end to the film at all.
-Laura and her mother have a lot of good scenes together, but having them changes the tone from pure horror to more drama.
-Teresa Banks is a real character now.
-Donna and Laura driving from the Roadhouse to the Pink Room in Canada makes the plot more sensible but it's boring.
-There's a Chris Isaac fight scene that goes on forever and isn't very good. It started funny but it was too repetitive to really work, and that's coming from someone who loved the vault scene at the end of season 2.
-I really don't like Cooper talking to Diane in person, even if she's never seen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The original and then The Missing Pieces. The new content fills in some gaps and is almost all good stuff but a lot of it is thematically disconnected from the main story and works better as deleted scenes. I haven't watched any fan edits but if they include everything it will take away from the value of focusing the film almost entirely through Laura / Leland's viewpoint.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Ed and Norma stuff in the cut footage is the worst. I really loved the Pete and Mibbler argument and while it's got nothing to do with the film it works well as a goofy short.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basebf555 posted:

If Lynch backs out of doing this because he's holding out for more money I don't think I'll ever look at him the same way again.

I imagine more creative control matters more to Lynch than more dollars. Making this public is smart because it puts more pressure on Showtime to give him what he wants.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

radlum posted:

The letter is not detailed enough; is he complaining about not being paid as much as he wanted or is he complaining about the budget for the series as a whole?

It absolutely sounds like the budget for the series as a whole was the issue.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Getting the public angry at Showtime is a pretty obvious bargaining tactic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Raxivace posted:

Has anyone seen the FWWM deleted scenes? I haven't watched them yet, but I was thinking of plowing through them in a day or two.

I liked all of them but honestly the film works better and is a lot more focused without most of them. There's a few I would have kept (all of the David Bowie stuff and the Palmer dinner scene)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

James singing is one of my favorite moments in the show. It's a huge shame he got stuck with such a wretched plot in the second part of the show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I involuntarily cringe when that scene starts. How can you like that?

It's wrong and off in the right ways and sums up the show as a whole: Surface appearance contradicting reality, melodramatic relationship trouble, the flimsy nature of identity, ghosts showing up to ruon everything. It draws you in by being funny/overwrought and then Bobs you upside the head.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basebf555 posted:

I really believe his plot in Season 2 where he fixes up a car for that woman was parody. Maybe its just from watching the series a bunch of times but it really comes across as a parody of a typical soap-opera story, just with the main character's stupidity dialed up to 11.

There's definitely satire in it, but it's bad, boring satire.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zoux posted:

I just finished the "Who killed Laura" episode and it was stunning. Also the killing scene at the end is one of the most uncomfortable, chilling scenes of violence I've ever seen in any medium, much less one from network TV in 1991.

My question is, do I stop now? I've heard the rest of the series is a disaster, minus an OK finale. I also heard Lynch was more or less done with the series after this episode. Does the finale have any kind of closure to it? I figure I stop now and I leave on some cliffhangers, but if the show got cancelled abruptly, I'm leaving on cliffhangers anyway. I'd rather stop on a good note than watch a whole bunch of trash for completions sake.

Watch the whole thing and the movie. There's a lot of good stuff in there even if a couple sub plots are terrible. The series ends on a cliffhanger but that's why they're making a new season.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zoux posted:

Alright but if it's a terrible waste of my time I'm coming for y'all irl.

Well, don't watch a show you don't like and if it's boring you completely stop watching.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

No one has sex with Cooper.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

steakmancer posted:

Was there a single black person in the entirety of Twin Peaks?

There was the gym teacher that appeared like twice and he was great and I hope he comes back.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 22, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

DominoDancing posted:

Unlikely, since Ron Taylor (also known for voicing Bleeding Gums Murphy on The Simpsons) died a couple of years back :(.

May he and the Major find peace in outer space, then.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Where are all the Albert lovers?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The rest of the series is good with some unfortunate moments of extreme terrible. It never reaches the heights of the first part of the show but it's got lots of good stuff.

Major Briggs is wonderful in season 2.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love that so much.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Thanks, super glad to hear this!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

His song rules, James is a fun idiot. His plot just becomes unbearable during his roadtrip, in large part due to everyone he meets being a trash character.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Raxivace posted:

I hope the new season is like 70% James riding into new towns each episode on his motorcycle, going through stock noir plotlines.

This would be fine with Lynch directing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love Earle's horse scene and make no apologies.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lynch's intent was to literally leave Laura's death unsolved and bring all the soap opera stuff to the forefront with the investigation as a catalyst for extreme behavior, but s2 really suffers from his lack of involvement.

I'm glad this didn't happen because the reveal and the events surrounding it are perfect and Fire Walk With Me is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Luchadork posted:

Next on my list is FWWM. I've always heard really bad things about it, like even from Peaks fans. Is it really that bad or just the usual "I don't understand Lynch movies thus it is garbage" crowd?

It's great, but the point of view character for most of the film is Laura so there's understandably a hell of a lot more misery than in the show. The first act, set in a different town, is pretty funny.

The deleted scenes bring it more in line with the show but I don't think most of them work well in the movie. Like, the Norma/Ed cut scenes are nice but they're distractions from the film's relentless misery. Watch the movie as it is, then watch the deleted stuff separately.

• Locked thread