Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

No one has posted Mega Man 7 8-bit?

It's freeware, but it plays pretty much exactly like the 8-bit classic series games. I've had a lot of fun with it. Wily is really hard though, I still haven't beaten him.

Also, the same group is working on an 8-bit version of Mega Man 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

D is That Guy posted:

As Far as I know, the general timeline (Including possible non cannon games) goes like this

OG Mega Man 1-10

30 years after the final Megaman vs Wiley Showdown Dr Light Creates X as a robot who can think and make choices for himself. X is sealed away for 30 years of diagnostic testing. Dr. Light dies sometime during this diagnositic period.

The only mentioning of 30 years is in the X1 intro, and refers to how long X needed to be sealed away to complete the diagnostics. There's no 30 year period between the Classic Series final battle(Which still hasn't happened and most likely never will) and X being built. X takes place 100 years or so after Classic according to sourcebooks though.

D is That Guy posted:

3-7 years later the first reploids start going maverick due to the yet unknown Sigma Virus, and the Maverick Hunters are formed with Sigma as their leader. Zero shows up somewhere during this time but nobody knows exactly when or how. At this point X is more of a scientist than a fighter.

Zero being found is shown in an X4 cutscene in which he fights Sigma and kicks his rear end for some time, and he's found in an abandoned lab or factory, it's not really all that clear where exactly this is. Also, Sigma wasn't even built when the first Mavericks started showing up, so there's something else going on besides the Virus. MMZ Complete Works mentions an abandoned, non-canonical plot idea for Zero 1 which involves a chip that's copied from X's original designs but is improperly replicated, causing the virus. This has the fandom's panties in a bunch because they can't read things like "early plot idea" and "non-canonical" when it's the closest thing to an actual explanation, and just roll with that.

D is That Guy posted:

Legends is about 1000 years after ZX.

Legends takes place in the year 8000something or so according to Inafune. Also, Legends and Legends 2 refer to events taking place 3000 years before the games themselves, including the death of the last original human(Master) on Elysium, who had been living there for about 3000 years at this point.

Megaman timelines are a nasty thing though. There's only one actual date ever mentioned in one single sourcebook(Rockman: Perfect Memories), with all other time indications being relative to that point along with being somewhat vague and at risk of being retconned by new titles(X Command Mission apparently taking place in 22XX for example)

Hell, some games in each series don't even seem to be aware of eachother(The GB and NES Classic games are both guilty of this: MM4 on NES mentions 3 prior uprisings, MMV on GB mentions 4 while they're both supposed to take place in the same universe) Along with series never connecting 100% or having some sort of full-on explanation for what happens inbetween, it's almost worse than the Zelda series.

I'm a big Megaman fan, but I gave up on the whole timeline shenanigans a while ago. The sourcebooks are neat though, can't wait until I get my hands on MM Complete Works and MMX Complete Works.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 17, 2009

Orleans
Jun 16, 2009
I can't believe nobody has posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWbgBp5PQg

Some of the most unintenionally hilarious voice acting I've ever heard. More games should cast drunk hobos as the voices for genius scientists.

DAS A GUD KRESHUN

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Swilo posted:

But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise:

This did not stop Tycho from thinking the same thing.

Click here for the full 800x417 image.

Hilariously, after that strip ran, they apparently got deluged with e-mail telling them Gabe was right, leaving this comic a memorial as proof that using a lot of big words in your blog posts doesn't mean you have any sense of logic.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Swilo posted:

But this was wrong fifteen years ago when X2 came out and wasn't XI :raise:
When I was a kid, my parents would make me call rental places and ask if they had a game before they'd take me there (for some stupid reason). Here's one conversation I had with one woman...

Me: "Do you have Mega Man X?"
Clerk: "... What?"
Me: "Mega Man X?"
Clerk: "... ... ... You mean Mega Man 10?"
Me: "Uh, I gue—"
Clerk: "No."
Me: "Well, how about Mega Man X2?"
Clerk: "... ... ... You mean Mega Man 10 to the second power?"
Me: "... Sure, that one. Do you ha—"
Clerk: "No."

EDIT: If there's one good thing to come out of these new neo-8-bit games, it's that people have finally shut up about Rockman & Forte being Mega Man 9.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 17, 2009

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

mathaeis posted:

Something I found interesting somewhat relating to this. I remember an issue of Nintendo Power back when either MM5 or 6 came out, there was a contest to design robots. They had a 4 page spread of all the entrants, and announced the two winners. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I found information pointing out that ALL the robot masters from MM2 on were the result of similar contests in Japan - the two in NP were just the only two American children ever had anything to do with.

So I guess form denotes function, despite how silly that form might be.

I remember reading that too. One of the winners was Knight Man, I think. I also vaguely remember seeing a Spring Man in there too, way before he showed up in MM7.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't know about you man, I want a Mega Man game where he looks like a quarterback and has a chainsaw gun covered in spikes and snorts cocaine off hookers' tits and fights demon guys from warhammer 40k and swims in pools of blood of the mortals! And with lots of metal.

Oh wait, that's for people who are mentally children, never mind.

Here's a piece of fanart that was made prior to Capcom announcing MM9.

Click here for the full 1142x1171 image.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Boxman posted:

This did not stop some loving moron with a thesaurus from thinking the same thing.
I think we all thought it was 10 when it first came out despite the huge gap (5 hadn't even come out here), but reasonable people figured it out eventually.

CloseFriend posted:

When I was a kid, my parents would make me call rental places and ask if they had a game before they'd take me there (for some stupid reason).

EDIT: If there's one good thing to come out of these new neo-8-bit games, it's that people have finally shut up about Rockman & Forte being Mega Man 9.
Back when the only people playing these games were still too young to work so the employees had no clue, oh to not have to dodge a 3 conversation on the merits of your purchase at gamestop :911:

Yeah, now it's 8.5, which is its own kind of ridiculous.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't they call it Megaman 8.5 because theey found the phrase "ROCKMAN 8.5" buried in the SNES ROM somewhere?

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Another thing of note was the version of X3 released for PC had animated cutscenes as well. Also:

Smoke posted:

Zero being found is shown in an X4 cutscene in which he fights Sigma and kicks his rear end for some time, and he's found in an abandoned lab or factory, it's not really all that clear where exactly this is.

I seem to remember that being in the X3 scenes, not X4. Although it's been a while, so I could be wrong. I remember it also had some generic 'past exploit' shots, like X fighting those underwater snake robots and Launch Octopus (the coolest reploid ever).

And just putting this out there: I never once thought Mega Man X was 10. I could see it from the perspective of someone that really didn't follow the series (Gabe and Tycho both admitted they didn't really play anything except maybe a few NES games if I remember right), but I mean, X is his name. If you played the game at all, you know that right off the bat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like to imagine that the original series has no real "end". Dr. Light dies of old age and creates X, that's a given, but Mega Man and Proto Man just go on being robots and not dying horribly. They're simply obsolete.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

I like to imagine that the original series has no real "end". Dr. Light dies of old age and creates X, that's a given, but Mega Man and Proto Man just go on being robots and not dying horribly. They're simply obsolete.

I like to think Wily made Zero, who proceded to kill everyone except Dr. Light, who went into hiding in some secret lab to build X so he would eventually stop Zero.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah but the Mega Man creators have specifically said that that isn't what happened. Also that would be dumb and completely against the light hearted spirit of the original series.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I thought the point was Zero, built by Wily, carried the original virus. Cain finds X undergoing diagnostics and begins mass-producing Reploids. There's a cutscene showing Zero fighting Sigma, a leader of the Maverick Hunters, and being infected while punching the crap out of him. Later, Sigma becomes the new host as a reprogrammed Zero is now a Hunter himself. Cue X1.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't they call it Megaman 8.5 because theey found the phrase "ROCKMAN 8.5" buried in the SNES ROM somewhere?
Yep!
code:
00052940 46 3a 5c 52 4f 43 4b 38 2e 35 5c 42 49 4e 5c 43 F:\ROCK8.5\BIN\C
00052950 4f 4c 4f 52 2e 45 58 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 OLOR.EXE........
Leftovers from development.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Not sure if it's canon or just something I read, but I've always remembered something about Sigma being some high ranking Reploid something or other, and Zero being found going berserk in a cave(?) somewhere. Like I said I'm fuzzy on the details, but it was something like Sigma went to the cave to fight Zero, and the little diamond thing on Zero's head got broken during the fight, and so the "Zero virus" got transmitted to Sigma, making him evil? Maybe the cave and crystal bits are just naughty fanfic being passed off as truth, but that's the story I remember.

Also, wasn't Zero shown being built in one of the secret endings to one of the Power Battle games?

Oh, and was it ever explained why Zero looked so funky in the Megaman Zero games? Or that stuff about that zero not being the real one, with there being some "Omega Zero" in places?

... Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just made it all up on the fly. I feel like we're talking about comic books. :psyduck:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You're pretty much right on the money Chumpy. Here's the fight itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLr19eYoH8

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Chumpy posted:

Not sure if it's canon or just something I read, but I've always remembered something about Sigma being some high ranking Reploid something or other, and Zero being found going berserk in a cave(?) somewhere. Like I said I'm fuzzy on the details, but it was something like Sigma went to the cave to fight Zero, and the little diamond thing on Zero's head got broken during the fight, and so the "Zero virus" got transmitted to Sigma, making him evil? Maybe the cave and crystal bits are just naughty fanfic being passed off as truth, but that's the story I remember.

Also, wasn't Zero shown being built in one of the secret endings to one of the Power Battle games?

Oh, and was it ever explained why Zero looked so funky in the Megaman Zero games? Or that stuff about that zero not being the real one, with there being some "Omega Zero" in places?

... Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just made it all up on the fly. I feel like we're talking about comic books. :psyduck:

You are right on about this, and from the post above, I see I was remembering the movies wrong. I guess ALL the stuff from the X3 PC version was that filler material.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-XZXyB-NH0 here is what I was talking about. Looks like it's more 'remember X 1 and 2? yeah, us too!' than anything else. God, some of those animations are so dopey. It reeks of bad fanart almost, but I still loved them at the time.

edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWrwxn6aNw&NR=1 oh god Blizzard Buffalo's intro. I can't stop laughing. I completely forgot about this.

But yeah, I guess the idea would be that Wily made Zero using the same techniology Light was using to make X, perhaps through some nefarious plot that involved him secretly stealing data or something. When Dr. Cain finds X, he is more advanced than anything currently around, and by a whole hell of a lot. The Reploids are created by copying X, and so when Zero is found later, the fact that they all share the same infrastructure could be exactly what makes Sigma susceptible to the virus in the first place. The fight disables Zero, who ends up being nothing more than a host instead of truly evil from that point forward, but also completely unaware of what he caused to happen.

Aside from a conceptual redesign between X and Zero (the series, not the characters), I guess the reason Zero looks different could be simply due to him having been fixed up or rebuilt after getting partially destroyed. I guess canon is supposed to end with X5, but from what I remember hearing, even that ended up getting a little mixed up, since Capcom basically forced them not only to accept that there would, in fact, be an X6 (and it was already well into being made), but changes had to be made in X5 to make sure certain things worked.

I remember how excited I was, because what Capcom was building up to was so great, and then...disappointment.

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 17, 2009

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

TaurusOxford posted:

You're pretty much right on the money Chumpy. Here's the fight itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLr19eYoH8

You know I'd be a silly nerd and watch a series that looked like this if it had even decent voice acting.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
By the way - http://www.capcom-unity.com/

Live webcast with Inafune for the 22nd Mega man birthday celebration, just started.

e: These American people are very annoying, but hell yes on the live play!

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 17, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

mathaeis posted:

edit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWrwxn6aNw&NR=1 oh god Blizzard Buffalo's intro. I can't stop laughing. I completely forgot about this.
Is it that it's so cheesy, or that they misspelled his name as Bilzzard? Volt Catfish is another good one, smiling his way down a water slide with a cameo from MM 7/8 in the background.

edit:

mathaeis posted:

By the way - http://www.capcom-unity.com/

Live webcast with Inafune for the 22nd Mega man birthday celebration, just started.
:siren: They're playing 10 live, and the producer sucks rear end at it :siren: Sheep Man's stage is like you're inside a computer, there's a mouse cursor drawing blocks that fly at you and electrical stuff!

This is awesome, I hope they put it up in higher quality later.

Inafune is mocking the producer every time he dies, his new nickname is "Fail Man"

The ninja star is back.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2009

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Swilo posted:

The ninja star is back.

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

mathaeis posted:

Where did that first come from? The only game I remember seeing it in was Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and had no idea what it was.
It was an item only seen once in the last Wily stage of Mega Man 1, past a really nasty spike jump off a moving platform with low overhead. It then disappeared for 10 years until 8, but has since been in a few other games as well. It fully refills your health and weapon powers, which was nice because it originally appeared before the boss refights.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Swilo posted:

Is it that it's so cheesy, or that they misspelled his name as Bilzzard? Volt Catfish is another good one, smiling his way down a water slide with a cameo from MM 7/8 in the background.

You forgot to mention that they called Volt Catfish "Electro Namazuros". Some of the animated shorts have weird alternate translations, even though the ending sequence in the video shows them with the names that I remember from the US SNES version.

I think its the brevity of those intros that make them hilarious - every one features a boss doing something mundane/threatening/wacky for ~3 seconds, and then out of nowhere its challenging pose time! Not the mention the cheesy remix of the "duh duh duh duuuuh" tune played at the end of each.

Toxic Seahorse's in particular was pretty hilarious - he nonchalantly oozes through a random grate, and then the music kicks on and he poses for no apparent reason. The unintentional hilarity of these reminds me of the Megaman TV show.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

mathaeis posted:

It's called a Yashichi, and it was Capcom's little trademark logo/item thing that was used in many of their early games. I think it can be found in Commando and Legendary Wings in addition to Mega Man 1 and Bionic Commando. I'm sure it's in a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting as well.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

They just explained the whole point of Sheep Man. They wanted another electricity-based boss, but of course can't just use ElecMan again. So, Electricity... Static electricity. What can make static electricity? Wool! What grows wool? Sheep!

Sheep man!

:v:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The next boss is going to be carpet man. He'll have generic enemies walk on him and they touch you to deliver a static shock.
And then Rageman, Cakeman and Waffleman :psyduck:

I want an E-Tank, too.

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 17, 2009

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Nahxela posted:

And then Rageman, Cakeman and Waffleman :psyduck:

I want an E-Tank, too.
Those are all just jokes :shobon:

E-Tanks will be on sale in the US (a different one, they say it's carbonated and tastes better), but no details about when or how much.

The Q&A has started!

There was a question about Legends 3, but I didn't quite catch it all and what I did sounded like a joke response :(

About the next X game, Inafune says he's really busy right now but thinks he'd like to do something "crazy" first like a movie.

If there's an 11 coming, it may switch to SNES graphics.

Someone asked about making a new game with hand drawn graphics like Odin Sphere or Muramasa, got shot down because "As a game creator I'd hate to be an imitator."

Mega Man Powered Up 2, "We really like Mega Man 2 and it's one of the most popular in the franchise, there is a very strong possibility you will see that."

Interesting bit that wasn't a question: Apparently the first game wasn't so popular and the sequel wasn't officially greenlit, so the crew worked on it in their spare time and just kind of showed up with a near-final product at a meeting. They all loved it and decided to publish.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 17, 2009

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Swilo posted:

Those are all just jokes :shobon:

E-Tanks will be on sale in the US (a different one, they say it's carbonated and tastes better), but no details about when or how much.

The Q&A has started!

There was a question about Legends 3, but I didn't quite catch it all and what I did sounded like a joke response :(

About the next X game, Inafune says he's really busy right now but thinks he'd like to do something "crazy" first like a movie.

If there's a 12 coming, it may switch to SNES graphics.

I saw some of those e-tank drinks at a store today, actually. They were about $1.50 each. Was tempted to snag one, I would have if I had known they weren't awful tasting.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

I saw some of those e-tank drinks at a store today, actually. They were about $1.50 each. Was tempted to snag one, I would have if I had known they weren't awful tasting.

What store? I'd imagine they'd be showing up at Hot Topic.

Here's MegaMan's birthday cake :unsmith:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ohnoitschris posted:

What store? I'd imagine they'd be showing up at Hot Topic.

Local chain of game/music/movie stores called Slackers. I bought Megaman 4 from them a while back actually, they're one of the few places around here that sell NES games for reasonable prices.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ohnoitschris posted:

Here's MegaMan's birthday cake :unsmith:

I think you mean Cake Man!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Local chain of game/music/movie stores called Slackers. I bought Megaman 4 from them a while back actually, they're one of the few places around here that sell NES games for reasonable prices.
Was this the new US version with Mega Man on the label and a larger can, or an import of the E-Can from Japan?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Gives us silhouettes and brief glimpses at the 8 robot masters' stages. One of them clearly has A SWORD FOR A HEAD. Betting that's blade man, or something.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Gotta love that Easy Mode preview. Also, no clues as to who the mystery third playable character is yet?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Kelp Plankton posted:

That wouldn't happen to be in Missouri, would it? If so, that place is awesome! Assuming the E Tanks are the same ones they sold in Japan last year, they don't taste all that bad, assuming you like energy drinks. I've tasted far, far worse.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Smoke posted:

Gotta love that Easy Mode preview. Also, no clues as to who the mystery third playable character is yet?
Well since Bass was mentioned as DLC, it's either Roll or I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Zero. :toot:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Liquid Penguins posted:

How did you NOT post this in the OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEO9Mfmn4M

That was loving awesome.

Why does it seem like all these videos are based on Megaman 2 though? Is that like the one most people get nostalgic about? It seems like even Megaman 9 has shades of #2 more than any of the others. It was my least favorite when I was a kid, of course I only played up to #4 until years later.

Also it seems like everyone uses Metal Blades against Wood Man, but one charged up Atomic Fire kills him instantly. Am I the only one that figured that out as a kid?

Cabbagepots posted:

It pisses me off that MM10 is just going to be another NES-style game. It seems that Capcom has found an easy-to-produce cash cow that they're going to milk dry.

And by the way, the charge shot rules, why the gently caress are they leaving it out AGAIN? :argh:

I liked the improvement in the SNES graphics for Megaman 7 while staying true to the original sprites, and I think it's a better game overall than most of the first 6 games. Apparently appealing to the "gay for retro" set wins out though.

As for the charge shot, to be fair it does make it hilariously easy to take down all the bosses with the Mega Buster.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 17, 2009

duckfist
May 27, 2006

buster science

Panic Restaurant posted:

:siren:Mega Man 10 Official Trailer!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dv3X8Z6fCk

Oh man, I can't wait for this. Soundtrack sounds pretty rockin'.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ohnoitschris posted:

They just explained the whole point of Sheep Man. They wanted another electricity-based boss, but of course can't just use ElecMan again. So, Electricity... Static electricity. What can make static electricity? Wool! What grows wool? Sheep!

Sheep man!

:v:

They look for an animal that makes electricity and sheep are the first thing they think of? This could've been Eelman?
And it's not like they couldn't have looked for a synonym or something, hasn't stopped them from making an ice man and a fire man every drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer

Orgophlax posted:

Well since Bass was mentioned as DLC, it's either Roll or I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Zero. :toot:

It's not likely to be Zero. I'll bet it would be Duo before it would be Zero. Unfortunately it's even more likely that it would be Roll. I'm still hoping that it's a comedy Servbot option though.