Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willkill4food posted:

As a Millwall fan you are probably just pissed about everything.

"exploiting the natural resources of entire region" - wouldn't that be anyone ever who made their money in oil, metals, timber, real estate, etc?

"stealing billions and billions from the people of a country" - you could easily include Bill Gates, Carlos Slim, the Walmart family, etc in that group.

"living the high life via the help of corrupt friends" - Like I said, corruption and bribes are a way of life in Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. You can be the most upright and moral person there and still need to grease government wheels or have a friend help you out to even open a business.

I am not trying to argue that Roman is a saint, but in my mind you cannot judge the man without understanding the situation, and I don't think many of you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Abramovic#Alleged_crimes_and_wrongdoing

wikipedia posted:

The Times said that Abramovich "famously emerged triumphant after the “aluminum wars”, in which more than 100 people are believed to have been killed in gangland feuds over control of the lucrative smelters. He avoided the fate of a rival oligarch who annoyed the Kremlin and ended up being transported to jail in Siberia for ten years," and "Numerous officials and executives are said to have lost their lives".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4272509.ece

Shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Hicks posted:

Cardiff stuff

That was great. My ex father in law is a Cardiff supporter now living in Lincolnshire so I'm sure he's suffering through all of this.

Incidentally I was listening to a 90's dance mix playlist and right as I was reading that last paragraph Children by Robert Miles came up and seemed to fit it perfectly.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mickolution posted:

When is that likely to come in? Also, aren't Sky/Espn just going to fight it every step of the way?

Don't forget how much most people hate to watch stuff on their computer, especially if they have to pay for it. The only way I can see this making any money at all (and not nearly enough to cover any sort of loss) is if they can have live streaming of the Saturday 3PM matches within the UK. If those matches are indeed included I can see the Football League fighting it as well because the whole reason those games aren't broadcast now is the thinking that if people can watch Manchester United on TV every Saturday at 3 no one will go see Macclesfield live. If the video streaming is meant to be a world-wide thing I can see few people paying for it with all of the free illegal streams currently out there increasing in quality every week. I guess the pirate streams may improve even more after legal streaming is implemented (much like the illegal NFL streams improved dramatically after NFL Sunday Ticket was made available online)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 14, 2010

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pissflaps posted:

USWNT fans?

:golfclap:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

calcio posted:

Has there been any talk about the implications of the NFL strike in terms of United's financial situation? The Glazers make about $65/£41 million from their NFL team which I am assuming is helping go towards the interest payments on the United loans.

If the owners have a lockout or the players go on strike that would be a serious hurt on their financial situation with United. Unless the rumored 100m in the bank from Ronaldo, etc. would be used to help that and no transfers this summer or maybe the proceeds from selling Rooney.

Who knows if it will have any legitimate repercussions but I'm drat sure they will use it as an excuse.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

greazeball posted:

The most plausible outcome is that the PL will sell their rights on a Europe-wide basis so then everybody in Greece who wants to watch Arsenal will have to buy it off Sky (presumably).

I'm not so sure this would happen either. The Premier League already sells their international broadcast rights to another company (IMG I believe) and they are the ones that negotiate with each country. It's why all of the premier league coverage in the whole world has the same graphics and english announcers, because they produce and distribute all of them. One of the many reasons that the pubs go for these foreign providers is not only the expense but also the access to the Saturday 3PM matches that are only broadcast outside the UK. As it is right now Sky doesn't have live broadcast rights to those games so they will either have to obtain the rights to those games (their own rights fee would likely go up) to sell to all the countries in the EU except the UK, or they would finally need to change the system that doesn't allow them to broadcast the Saturday 3PM matches.

I am very interested in seeing how this shakes up. When I lived in the UK I had a dish that was subscribed to an Albanian service called DigitALB. I had access to every game live every weekend and it was fairly cheap, I think I remember the system being about 200 pounds (the dish and the box) and the card being another 130 pounds for the entire season.

An example from the US and Canada. Canadian TV is a bit lacking in quality but they have access to the Boston and Seattle feeds of the main American TV networks. Most of the prime time shows aired in Canada are actually American shows. Canada's main TV networks will buy canadian rights to these shows and a lot of times will show them at the same time as the American network is showing the same show. When these kinds of simulcasts occur the canadian provider (be it the cable company or satellite company) will actually switch the feed on the american channel on their cable system to the feed of the canadian channel to ensure that the canadian rightsholder gets their proper ad exposures because after all, they bought the canadian rights to the program so they could sell commercial time during it. It would suck if a canadian viewer who wanted to watch House just switched over to the Boston feed of FOX instead of watching it on CTV. They'd still get to see the show but they'd be exposed to irrelevant Boston ads and the canadian rights holder would be stiffed. I imagine this is one of the big roadblocks to having a continent-wide rights agreement. In europe there really isn't much of the whole "network affiliate" thing the way there is in the US. The main TV networks run mostly the same stuff, but allow the local broadcaster a little bit of local programming like the news and the ability to sell a portion of ad-time to local businesses. In europe it's different because there aren't really many channels that encompass the entire continent. I can only think of Eurosport which even remotely follows this model and it's not really the same thing. There are 2 versions of Eurosport. There's Eurosport and British Eurosport.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 4, 2011

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mickolution posted:

I assume by pay-per-view he means subscription channels like the way the Premier League is on Sky/ESPN rather than a pay by the game set-up?

I am not so sure. I remember hearing a few years ago that all spanish games were televised there but they were all but one on a pay per view basis. I would assume that it's still the same.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Big Black Sock posted:

Any idea on how much the games cost? Depending on the price this sounds like either the best or worst case scenario for a fan.

Some very old info (2001) I found on the web says that back then all games were pay per view, save for one on broadcast TV, and all games were about €5 except Real Madrid or Barcelona games which were €10.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Johnny Mnemonic posted:

cheaper than some of the lovely packages americans have to pay for to see eggball out of market (directv) or even cable sports plans

Off topic a little bit but I would gladly pay per game for NFL sunday ticket. It sucks spending $300 per year so I can watch 13 games (broncos are usually nationally televised like, 3 times a year so those 3 are exempt from the package) games per season.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Masonity posted:

I get the impression that Stan's a more traditional form of "in it for the money". He brings expertise in getting Americans to cough up money for sporting teams. Arsenal are WAY under utilised as a global brand. The guy could make us richer, and himself richer, at the same time. Buying up shares will be partly to block Usamov and partly because a richer Arsenal, fully exploiting their commercial markets are worth more than the shares currently trade at.

When Kroenke bought the Colorado Rapids of MLS he was seen as something of a savior of the team because at the time the team was owned by AEG, an entertainment conglomerate that back then owned like 6 MLS teams (in a 10 team league). I think they owned the Metrostars (Now owned by Red Bull and renamed to the New York Red Bulls), San Jose Earthquakes (who moved to Houston and became the Houston Dynamo and are still owned by AEG. A new ownership group now owns a new incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes), Los Angeles Galaxy (Still owned by AEG), Colorado Rapids, DC United (Sold to DC United Holdings), and Chicago Fire (Sold to Andell Holdings). Also at the time the Dallas Burn (Renamed to FC Dallas), Columbus Crew, and Kansas City Wizards (sold to OnGoal, and recently rebranded to Sporting Kansas City) were owned by Lamar Hunt, so owners owning multiple teams was not unheard of. Colorado were definitely on the bottom of AEG's priority list and were getting shafted with TV broadcasts of away games, horribly oppressive security, and no stadium plans (they paid rent to play in the Denver Broncos american football stadium). In comes Stan Kroenke with his wife's Wal-Mart billions to save the day... but he really didn't. Costs were cut, ticket prices increased, they brought in cheerleaders, they changed the team colors and crest (to align with the other Denver sports teams that Kroenke owned, the Denver Nuggets of the NBA and the Colorado Avalanche of the NHL), there was a management shakeup that ended up being for the worse. There was talk of renaming the team (to coincide with the new color and crest) to Arsenal Colorado because of his link with Arsenal but Nike owns the rights to the Arsenal trademark in the US when related to soccer and were not willing to let an Adidas sponsored league field a team called Arsenal. Fan-favorite players were sold off, the broadcasting situation became even worse. One season only 6 (of 16) away games were available on TV, and while they did fire the worst coach the Rapids had ever seen up to that point they hired one that would do even worse, and they kept him for 3 miserable seasons before he finally resigned over some spur of the moment tiff with the ownership. They are doing a lot better now, but that's mostly due to luck and the extreme parity of MLS. The Rapids actually won the championship last season (the champion is crowned in a post-season knockout tournament based on where teams placed in the table for the regular season). The Rapids barely made it into the playoffs after being denied entry the 2 previous seasons and were able to get a good run of form during the playoffs and won the title.

It was a sobering reality though to see the team being treated like dirt by it's savior by basically taking what little AEG was doing to keep the team competitive and downsizing on that after making so many promises to the contrary.

Admittedly they did build the Rapids a pretty nice stadium but there was a point last season before they did well in the playoffs that the stadium seemed like nothing more than the shiny part of the polished turd that the Rapids had become over the time that Kroenke took over.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 28, 2011

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MoPZiG posted:

Honestly don't understand why the TV money in the football league would need to be dropped quite so drastically. Surely there's enough demand in the foreign markets to show more English football than is currently being broadcast. I know the quality isnt anywhere near the premier league but there really are very few sporting options that can broadcast live concurrently in both Asia and Europe. I'm in Hong Kong and there is literally nothing to watch on Thursday and Friday evenings, Championship football would get decent ratings even if it were only shown in the back of pubs.

I think for international companies to be interested in championship games the time slots would have to improve. Thursday and Friday evening games won't work in the rest of the world because these games would either be on during work hours during the week west of the UK, and very late at night east of the UK. The other games are of course at 3PM on saturday when the Premier League is already king and anyone with sense would broadcast a Premier League game over a Championship game in the same time slot.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening games work for the Champions League and Europa League because you're talking about elite teams in international competition rather than Cardiff, Norwich, and Scunthorpe.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Couch posted:

Someone post that write up about how Kroenke took over the MLS team and promised heaps but didn't really deliver.

GutBomb posted:

When Kroenke bought the Colorado Rapids of MLS he was seen as something of a savior of the team because at the time the team was owned by AEG, an entertainment conglomerate that back then owned like 6 MLS teams (in a 10 team league). I think they owned the Metrostars (Now owned by Red Bull and renamed to the New York Red Bulls), San Jose Earthquakes (who moved to Houston and became the Houston Dynamo and are still owned by AEG. A new ownership group now owns a new incarnation of the San Jose Earthquakes), Los Angeles Galaxy (Still owned by AEG), Colorado Rapids, DC United (Sold to DC United Holdings), and Chicago Fire (Sold to Andell Holdings). Also at the time the Dallas Burn (Renamed to FC Dallas), Columbus Crew, and Kansas City Wizards (sold to OnGoal, and recently rebranded to Sporting Kansas City) were owned by Lamar Hunt, so owners owning multiple teams was not unheard of. Colorado were definitely on the bottom of AEG's priority list and were getting shafted with TV broadcasts of away games, horribly oppressive security, and no stadium plans (they paid rent to play in the Denver Broncos american football stadium). In comes Stan Kroenke with his wife's Wal-Mart billions to save the day... but he really didn't. Costs were cut, ticket prices increased, they brought in cheerleaders, they changed the team colors and crest (to align with the other Denver sports teams that Kroenke owned, the Denver Nuggets of the NBA and the Colorado Avalanche of the NHL), there was a management shakeup that ended up being for the worse. There was talk of renaming the team (to coincide with the new color and crest) to Arsenal Colorado because of his link with Arsenal but Nike owns the rights to the Arsenal trademark in the US when related to soccer and were not willing to let an Adidas sponsored league field a team called Arsenal. Fan-favorite players were sold off, the broadcasting situation became even worse. One season only 6 (of 16) away games were available on TV, and while they did fire the worst coach the Rapids had ever seen up to that point they hired one that would do even worse, and they kept him for 3 miserable seasons before he finally resigned over some spur of the moment tiff with the ownership. They are doing a lot better now, but that's mostly due to luck and the extreme parity of MLS. The Rapids actually won the championship last season (the champion is crowned in a post-season knockout tournament based on where teams placed in the table for the regular season). The Rapids barely made it into the playoffs after being denied entry the 2 previous seasons and were able to get a good run of form during the playoffs and won the title.

It was a sobering reality though to see the team being treated like dirt by it's savior by basically taking what little AEG was doing to keep the team competitive and downsizing on that after making so many promises to the contrary.

Admittedly they did build the Rapids a pretty nice stadium but there was a point last season before they did well in the playoffs that the stadium seemed like nothing more than the shiny part of the polished turd that the Rapids had become over the time that Kroenke took over.

To expand on this a little bit, the coach that was brought in by KSE was Fernando Clavijo who played for the US and also played a bit of indoor soccer, as well as most recently before that being the head coach of the Haiti national team. He was brought in for two reasons. Tim Hankinson, the guy he was replacing was awful, and he would be cheaper. Clavijo was an MLS retread, he'd coached (and been fired from) the New England Revolution to a losing record in 2002. His entire run as Rapids head coach he was paid a salary of $50,000 per year. I imagine many of you made more than that. He was terrible, had a losing record every season, and was a very inconsistent tactician. (well he was consistent at losing)

He was kept on for 3 years because KSE knew that any replacement would cost more and having a losing team was ok if they didn't have to pay (the mls version of) top dollar for a decent coach. When he finally did resign (It was probably a forced resignation) he was replaced by the assistant, who was most likely on even less money. I don't know what his pay is now because I haven't kept up with it.

Coaching is not the only place where KSE scrimped. MLS has a salary cap which is fairly low ($2.3ish million per year for the entire team) and colorado has been consistently under that cap. When the cap is so low many teams struggle to stay under. Colorado has been different. They've consistently stayed under since KSE came in.

I'll admit with big money operations like the Premier League, Champions League and Arsenal themselves KSE might handle it differently. I don't see a lot of Avalanche, Nuggets, or Rams fans bitching about Kroenke. It may be that MLS really is a minor league sport and he's treating it as such. It may be that he personally is really hands off and leaves the operation to underlings (the GM of the rapids is a douchebag named Jeff Plush). These concerns may all be unfounded and not apply to this takeover in any way shape or form.

NattyBo posted:

Except he got them a brand new, great looking soccer specific stadium and they won MLS cup last year? :confused:

Aside from lifting the trophy did the rapids ever look like champions last season to you? And the stadium is a multi-purpose venue for many KSE vehicles. Lacrosse, football, soccer, concerts, etc... There's also a reason it says colorado and not rapids on the seats. It's a KSE stadium, not a Rapids stadium.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 12, 2011

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wicka posted:

He doesn't even own the stadium.

Right, it's owned by the city of Commerce City (a suburb of Denver) but KSE does have a pretty sweet lease deal.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crazy Ted posted:

The fun part about that is that, if I remember correctly, Al Jazeera has yet to negotiate and deals with the major cable carriers, DirecTV, or Dish to carry their new sports network that would be carrying games from Serie A or La Liga. And reportedly all the would-be carriers are really skittish about having a third football-heavy channel.

It's as if Al Jazeera didn't just put the cart before the horse, they don't even have a pony let alone a horse.

Yeah the Al Jazeera stuff is going to set soccer on TV in the states back 10 years. No carriers, buying up tons of rights for insane amounts of money, and it seems as if they are operating under the assumption that holding these rights will have networks banging their door down to carry their network, and so far, that's not panning out. And they aren't going to make any of their money back by sublicensing the games out to other networks because no one is going to pay anything near enough.

So basically they hold the rights hostage and the fans suffer. Next season is only going to be the start (La Liga and Serie A). Some industry insiders believe they are going to be bidding huge amounts of money on the 2013-2016 English Premier League rights next. They certainly have the means to outbid anything ESPN and Fox can muster.

Even if they do get on the major carriers you can bet money that it will only be available in standard definition on most of the providers that just don't have capacity for adding more HD (pretty much all of the terrestrial cable providers like Comcast or Verizon)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DickEmery posted:

Yeah I don't think Al Jazeera needs to make any money from these rights.

But they certainly aren't buying them to give them away. My bet is that if the premier league rights do indeed go to them that the return of pay per view soccer in the united states will be in full effect.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bobby Digital posted:

Hmm yes let's get our customer base used to getting something for free. They will certainly be eager to pay for it later.

The customer base won't be paying for it later. Cable and Satellite providers will. I suppose the customer base might technically be paying a few cents for it once it's added to packages, but that's not really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jose posted:

Chesterfield held a raffle to earn some money and take a supporter on their pre-season tour of hungary and 5 people bought a ticket

https://twitter.com/jonnot/status/755436867055673344

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jul/19/chesterfield-issue-apology-fans-faked-winning-raffle-entry

The article is kind of hard to follow because it doesn't make it clear who falsified the winning entry. Did the club falsify it or did some guy give a fake name and bullshit story when submitting his entry?

I don't really get it. Only 4 people entered the raffle so instead of awarding the prize to one of them the club made up a fake winner so they didn't have to pay to fly someone out to Hungary and put them up? I guess they were planning on paying for the whole thing with proceeds from selling raffle tickets and £80 wasn't enough?

• Locked thread