Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Ktm is gone, time to start shopping for a CBX.

When you sell the CBX I totally want to fly'n'drive for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When you sell the CBX I totally want to fly'n'drive for it

I just missed a lot of 3 cbxes for 8500 :(

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Are you looking for the six cyl CBX z3n or is there a modern model you mean?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ya, the 6 cylinder. I'd also consider something like a Kawasaki Voyager, or there's a few other funny 6 cyls to play with, but the CBX seems to be the one that has held up the best.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
[ASK] Sir Cornelius about carb servicing on the CBX!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also willing to purchase crashed K1600s.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Might have a line on a K1600.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Benelli Sei

:frogsiren:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Completely unobtanium out here. There's also the Kawasaki KZ1300/Voyager, but I already blew up one of those on a test ride so I'm a little leery.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get that 6-cylinder KZ1300

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Completely unobtanium out here. There's also the Kawasaki KZ1300/Voyager, but I already blew up one of those on a test ride so I'm a little leery.

How did that conversation go?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

BlackMK4 posted:

How did that conversation go?

"I'm unimpressed."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Benelli Sei

Was going to do this post, though the better of it. Now thinking, CBX motor into K16GT frame. AND vice versa. :science:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Was going to do this post, though the better of it. Now thinking, CBX motor into K16GT frame. AND vice versa. :science:

Let's not be ridiculous now. We do things for reasons in this garage :colbert:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The internet needs better sounds of the CBX, so I think I'll need to ride down there, mic up the bike, and rip up and down the street a few times for the greater good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

When I find one, you should come visit.

Pulling bike purchasing chat from the chat thread:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yup I'd be up for that, sounds like a fun/stupid idea. CA to TN would be a long haul and buying something reasonable for distance doesn't seem fun...hmm cross country supermoto or streetfighter?

Well, I just passed on a $2100 749 - salvage title, 19k miles, busted ignition, but would have probably otherwise been fine. You could easily cross country on a street fighter or the right sumo, but sumos are a bit more questionable for obvious reasons - the ones youd want arent really available significantly cheaper.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

Well, I just passed on a $2100 749 - salvage title, 19k miles, busted ignition, but would have probably otherwise been fine. You could easily cross country on a street fighter or the right sumo, but sumos are a bit more questionable for obvious reasons - the ones youd want arent really available significantly cheaper.

Thought about posting here instead of the chat thread. If I can ever decide on what I want my next bike to be and get rid of a couple I'll be getting in touch with you to see if you can find anything. I'm a big fan of fly and drive/ride and I'm out that way a few times a year with work so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thought about posting here instead of the chat thread. If I can ever decide on what I want my next bike to be and get rid of a couple I'll be getting in touch with you to see if you can find anything. I'm a big fan of fly and drive/ride and I'm out that way a few times a year with work so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Cool that sounds like fun - we'll figure it out as it comes :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Goodbye CB1.
Goodbye 929.
Hello Aprilia Falco.
Hello Bandit 400 with ducati 748 front end and TZ250 rear end. It will probably also get the RC211V replica plastics I have.

Also the RS125/450 is driving me to rage at the moment. The clearances are not reasonable at all. While I can get clearance under full static compression, I am concerned that when the forks flex under braking load, I'm going to have a serious problem.

Also, this was linked to me:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4448657149.html

Because I've always wanted one and an RC51 for 1500 bucks and...

No, I'm going to be good, and fix that bandit 400, have a nice track and play bike, and I'm going to finish that drat RS450.

Oh and I started making fiberglass molds to make CF parts.

Triumph is also for sale, although I'm sort of already regretting that because of how wonderfully narrow the bike is and how good it is for lane splitting.

But I have a line on both a crashed Empulse and a blown up SXV550, so...off you go Triumph. Be replaced by another non-running project that I will never complete.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
No buy it, fix it up, then sell it to me for little profit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Goodbye CB1.
Goodbye 929.
Hello Aprilia Falco.
Hello Bandit 400 with ducati 748 front end and TZ250 rear end. It will probably also get the RC211V replica plastics I have.

Also the RS125/450 is driving me to rage at the moment. The clearances are not reasonable at all. While I can get clearance under full static compression, I am concerned that when the forks flex under braking load, I'm going to have a serious problem.

Also, this was linked to me:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4448657149.html

Because I've always wanted one and an RC51 for 1500 bucks and...

No, I'm going to be good, and fix that bandit 400, have a nice track and play bike, and I'm going to finish that drat RS450.

Oh and I started making fiberglass molds to make CF parts.

Triumph is also for sale, although I'm sort of already regretting that because of how wonderfully narrow the bike is and how good it is for lane splitting.

But I have a line on both a crashed Empulse and a blown up SXV550, so...off you go Triumph. Be replaced by another non-running project that I will never complete.

Wait, what :psyduck:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You know. It's as common a configuration as taking an SV650, installing Harley Davidson Fat Boy Dyna Bob forks, the swingarm off of a Busa, shocks off of a mid-80s GS750, and clubman bars. Standard stuff.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 1, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's so weird about that?

Need to find some kawaski parts to put on it. Then I can have a suzuki honda yamaha kawasaki ducati.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

No buy it, fix it up, then sell it to me for little profit.

I just traded money for time, I'm not in a place to do the opposite again.

Safety Dance posted:

You know. It's as common a configuration as taking an SV650, installing Harley Davidson Fat Boy Dyna Bob forks, the swingarm off of a Busa, shocks off of a mid-80s GS750, and clubman bars. Standard stuff.

Exactly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How does power get to the rear wheel?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

How does power get to the rear wheel?

Oh poo poo I've been sold a non-complete project?!?!?!?!?!

Fuuuuuuuck

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkk

Time to find a kawasaki chain and sprockets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Do a belt drive conversion. That frankenbike could be slightly franken-er.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There will be no clutchpucking in this house!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

There will be no clutchpucking in this house!

That sounds like something very dirty with very unfortunate accompanying sounds.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

...off you go Triumph.

Tell me more

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Out of curiosity, how many bikes you think have been through your garage?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Tell me more

TarzansPuma already has first dibs on it...he's going to come up and ride it in a week or 2 and if he likes it, he'll come up for the trackday and then ride it home, i think. But if not...

M42 posted:

Out of curiosity, how many bikes you think have been through your garage?

Through this garage or total?

I'd been meaning to make a list...

Bikes I've owned:
03 Ninja 250
93 ZX63
02 SV650
01 CBR929
GL500
XR400
Daytona T595
SV650 (first racebike)
Ninja 250
ZZR1200
05 ZX6R
ZX9R
CBRF2
DRZ400S/M
GSXR600 (Race)
CBRF2
GL500
KTM690SMC
SV650
SV500 (ex-racebike)
GSX-R600
GL500
CB550
YZF250
WR250
VFR800
Speed Triple
ZX6E
Daytona 675
ZX6E
Daytona 675
SV650
GSX-R600 (track)
RS125
CRF450
CB1
RVF400
929 (in parts)
Bandit 400

The wife's bikes over the years:
02 SV650
Z1000
DRZ400S/M
Ducati 999
KTM 690 SMC

Family and friends bikes that have lived in the garage or I did significant work on/had possession of for an extended period:
75 CB200
Ninja 250
SV650
SV650
KTM Duke 2
SR500
GSX-R600/GS500 hybrid
SV650
SV650
R1
Triumph Thruxton (swapped for ZZR1200 for a few months)

Goon bikes:
Bandit 1200 (Xovaan)
GSX-R750 (krapskis/housemate's)
ZX10 (FuzzyWuzzyBear)
749S (Spiffness)
KLR650 (motomind's)
Aprilia Falco (GrizzledMelkeba)

Housemate's bikes:
Brammo
Multi 620
GS650L

And random bikes I've brought back to working over the years that were in my garage for an extended period:
CB400 (rescued bike + 70 year old owner off the side of the road, fixed bike)
Shadow 500 (friends)

This obviously isn't counting the bikes that only lived in the garage for a short period of time - I can't remember those. I also am pretty sure I'm missing a few off this list too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 1, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At this rate, by 2035, every motorcycle on the planet will have been owned by Z3n at some point. Let me know if you ever get my old dirt bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, I was gonna say, that's approaching small bike shop levels. Which is :krad:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At this rate, by 2035, every motorcycle on the planet will have been owned by Z3n at some point. Let me know if you ever get my old dirt bike.

I try to make sure they leave the garage in better shape than they came in. :buddy:

Usually only works if they're non-running when they show up. If they're running when they show up...:madmax:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Seeing a dataset like that makes me want to extrapolate poo poo across the different makers, see who I prefer, price range breakdowns, etc.

Bandit shows up in 2 hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Much like every molecule of water you drink has passed through Oliver Cromwell, every bike has passed through z3n's garage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Much like every molecule of water you drink has passed through Oliver Cromwell, every bike has passed through z3n's garage.

So z3n is the rear end in a top hat who put Rockstar stickers on my drz? :argh:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah when I bought my DRZ it had one of these on the tail:

Thanks z3n :argh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

THANKS OBAMA Z3N :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU