Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I am every PO.

Also:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

I am every PO.

Also:

The Vincent Z3n Black Shadow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I am every PO.

Also:

My brain just sort of slows down and stops every time I look at it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This bike seems to have some potential :)

Need to get the wheel spacers made, make the rear brake caliper mounts, tank and seat mounts, fairing mounts, figure out the exhaust and radiator, reassemble the carbs, fill with oil, install wiring harness, and it should be ready to go!

Which means the bike might be ready by the trackday, which was the whole goal in the first place...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A Story Where I End Up with a SuperDuke 1290

After watching my friend drop to the ground after being launched into the back of a car thanks to those no look lane changes that bay area drivers love, I decided it was time to buy a bike with ABS and traction control. I'd been thinking about it for a long time, but having a normal commute turn into a bad day in about a quarter second really drove home that it was time to welcome the new electronic overlords into my life. After all, a new bike is cheaper and more fun than an ER visit. My friend avoided the ambulance ride, but the bike - well, you know what they say about GSX-R frames, you pitch them into the back of a car at a mere 25mph and they snap right in half. Typical.

Now, some will say, bikes with no electronic controls are amazing, electronics are the devil, and that you feel more alive when you’re shaving your balls with a straight razor. And those people are idiots, but that'll become clear later. First, we start with me. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years. Fast ones, slow ones, and while I tended to only love them for a short period of time, I usually never bought them with the intention of selling them. I enjoyed seeing the old bikes rise again, the beaters come back to life to carry a new rider, the trackbikes, dripping with sliders and beautiful suspension at rock bottom prices, and the salvage titles, pulled from the market for far less than they were functionally worth. Eventually, people would just send me cash, and I would build bikes for them that they would fly out and ride home on. All in all, coming up on 10 years of riding and working on bikes, I'd owned or had extended possession of about 65 bikes. I had gotten accustomed to the endless stream of bikes rolling through my garage, and figured I would simply count the bikes through my garage, rather than the grains of sand through the hourglass.

Then I bought a Daytona 675, and I put a handlebar kit on it. And it was good. Really drat good. And then it was stolen. And then it was recovered, but never rideable on the street again. So I bought a second one, and it was stolen, and recovered again, but not before I bought a ZX10. But I loved the 675, so I sold the ZX10 to a friend, and made the 675 pretty and beautiful. Here’s a picture, because let me tell you, there’s a lot of words coming, and you’re gonna need it.

This is the point where you're wondering: What about the loving Super Duke already? It's like an old fogey reliving the glory days up in here. And I say, well, you get to suffer through it if you want to hear about the Super Duke. Besides, everything's meaningless without context anyways, if you wanted to hear another story like the rest, go grab any motorcycle magazine, and some guy with a hipster haircut will tell you all about the company line and the figures, and if you close your eyes, you can imagine them all chanting in harmony from the same book of tired catchphrases.

So, the hunt began. It was rather hard to find bikes with good traction control and ABS systems in my usual bargain basement price range, so I began recounting the test rides I'd conned out of assorted dealerships. The Multistrada 1200 was the bike that I'd always said I'd own if I could only own one bike, but the reality is that I didn't need to own only one bike. The Duke 690 was a drat good bike, but it lacked TC and was small. There was the Tuono V4, and while uncompromising and fast, the hilarious fuel range and overall race feel wasn't exactly what I was looking for. And besides, it looks like an RSV4 was involved in a tragic extreme yoga stretching accident, and the surgeon only got it halfway back together before loving off to ride a KTM around. On the other hand, there was the KTM 1190 Adventure, but it was struck down by it’s looks. Looking at it was like seeing a dating site profile picture through a funhouse mirror, sometimes it looked great, sometimes it was just...confusing. I had ridden it recently, and loved the crap out of it, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to wake up to that in my garage every day. Given the choice between yoga victim and funhouse mirror, I wasn't super stoked to throw down enough cash to buy half a dozen other bikes.

But since the day KTM had decided to release the SuperDuke 1290, I knew it was going to be something special. I have owned 2 690 SMCs. They say ready to race in the promo videos and they loving mean it, like no other motorcycles out there. Fueling issues at steady throttle? Ready to race means always rolling on. Exhaust burns off turn signals? It's just saving you the trouble of track prepping the bike. I sold both because I was a man too weak to resist the whispers of "just one more balance point wheelie". If a motorcycle demands you ride the hell out of it, well, clearly, you just have to ride the hell out of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7syR-joOU

The problem with the SuperDuke was availability. No one had one. Test rides? You can test ride it all you want once you buy it. I was at Scuderia and it was mentioned that they were taking deposits, and slots were going quickly. I figured credit exists for a reason, and that reason is to put deposits on fast bikes. But I was up front with the terms: I'm going to buy a bike from you guys. I just don't know what it is yet.

So they turned me loose on the test fleet. I test rode the 1190 Adventure again. It was definitely too soft, but it was different from the rest of the KTMs - this one was well behaved. It was restrained. It wasn't the devilish child of a 690 SMC, it was a young professional, with the surface veneer of civilization, but still holding a lot of spunk below the belt. Frankly, at the end of the day, the rest of the bikes were good, but all had problems. The Multistrada felt like a luxury SUV, all the toys and all the potential repair bills in the world, and I didn't feel I'd make a particularly fetching MILF. The TuonoV4 was knocked off the list for it’s lack of fuel range, not because of anything wrong with the bike.

So that left the responsible choice as the Super Duke. Fuel economy numbers were leaking out and people were saying upwards of 50mpg with sedate riding, putting effective range at approaching 200 miles a tank. The riding position was a neat emulation of my 675, but slightly more spacious. Traction control and ABS were related to the excellent systems on the 1190. Engine was a bore out of a proven design, something KTM has been doing forever, and knows well. And now you're crying about some bullshit about how a Super Duke could never be "the responsible choice". And you're wrong, and if you'd just let me loving finish, I'll tell you why.

Anyways, now we were at the point where Scuderia was just waiting on my bike to come in. I had a trackday on June 2nd that I wanted to take the bike to, and they moved heaven and earth to make that happen. I got a call 6 days before the trackday that said "Bad news, that might be good news, that might be bad news". That's always what you want to hear when you're buying a new, difficult to get motorcycle from a European brand. As it turns out, my bike was damaged in shipping, but they would have it in the shop before the trackday, and if it ran, I could take it and they would handle the replacement of the damaged parts when they came in, as many of them were not even available yet.

Well, it came in. Damaged tank, damaged side fairings, damaged gauges, damaged gauge mounts. But it started and ran, and sure enough, they let me take it home. While I wasn't sold on the looks in photos, in person it looked like a block of rage had been worked over with a cheesegrater until something sufficiently aggressive fell out the bottom, the damaged parts just added to the appeal.

At this point, I'm going to give a huge shout out to the guys at Scuderia for making everything go easy and smoothly. Not only did they get me a bike in crazy time, they're also handling the insurance claim and the rest of it in a way that lets me put in as much time on my new bike as possible. Highly recommended, tell them you're a fan of the Aerostitch Mafia and they'll know who you're talking about. Anyways: On to the Super Duke, which is why you started reading all this bullshit in the first place.

As with all KTMs, you could pretty much pick the list of parts out of the upgrade catalog for every supersport squid. Brembo monoblocks, brembo master cylinder, magura clutch, slipper clutch, stainless steel lines, LED running lights, on, and on, and on. KTM never spares the expense on their parts.

The First Ride
The first thing you see when you sit on the bike is the gauges:

You can see the digital readout on the right - a nice touch is the "favorites" menu, which allow you to customize all of the lines of data on the screen. Mine is set with heated grips, fuel range, air temp, battery voltage, and oil temp. Then you've got 2 trips, each with distance, remaining range, fuel consumption, average speed, and trip time. Then there's the electronic controls, and the other settings. You can change the drive mode on the fly, but I don't see any reason to ever take it out of sport, it's beautiful as is. For ABS and MTC, you have to be stopped to switch settings.

Turn it on, and you can hear the annoyed screech of the fuel pump, followed by the Hoth transmission whine of the throttle bodies. Apparently all of the 1190 and 1290 engines do this, but it's a hell of surprise when you turn the bike on for the first time. Twist the throttle and pretend you're a HAM radio operator - you get about the same meaning out of the yowls on the line.

Fire the bike up and it settles into a quick, regular idle. It revs cleanly, and I kick the bike into gear and roll off with a warning to "be careful" from the guys at the dealership. Of course, with all my care and caution, my first encounter with the MTC takes place about .5 miles into my ride. A stoplight goes green, I give it a little gas as I make a left, the new tire spins up, and the bike makes me look like a MotoGP rider slumming it on the streets of San Francisco as it perfectly controls the slide through the intersection. It helpfully notifies me that I’m a fuckup with the TC light on the dash, while holding my hand and recovering the situation with the grace of an alcoholic slamming a shot.

Usually after doing an impromptu drift exhibition on a bike you've never ridden before, that you technically don't even own yet, you'd be quietly pulling over, fumbling with the killswitch, and reminiscing on the wisdom of Hunter S. Thompson's "The Song of the Sausage Creature". But I was far too deep down the rabbit hole. But everything was so smooth and easy, my first thought was "Holy gently caress, this bike has a whole new rad way to break in tires!"

I figured at about that point I should probably turn around, head back to the dealership, and buy the bike. I've ridden enough bikes to know when it's right, and let me tell you, less than a mile into ownership, doing a sweet drift through a SF intersection and not having to change my pants immediately afterwards is pretty much as good as bikes get.

I go back to the dealership, sign the paperwork (76.2% APR? Look, man, whatever it takes, ok?), then take off for home.

My second encounter with the MTC is in the tunnel through Treasure Island. I open up the throttle in 3rd gear at 45mph, because a new bike deserves a tunnel to see how it sounds. The bike immediately gains 15mph, begins to wheelie, spins the shiny new rear tire, TC light comes on and gently sets the wheelie down while still gaining speed. I stay pinned, and it repeats the whole thing over again, wheelie, rear tire spins up, TC fixes all the problems while maximizing acceleration. I roll off because I’m laughing too hard to upshift. This is the stuff of dreams.

The bike is dangerous because everything is so simple. You don’t have to try, you simply decide to go somewhere, and the bike neatly packages everything up for you and sends you on your way in a completely confident, drama free way. If I had to sum the 1290 up in a single word, it would be “easy”. The claim for supersports without traction control for years was that “the fueling is so good, you don’t need traction control”, and the reality is that’s bullshit. The KTM’s fueling is good enough that you can click the MTC off, get up to 3k in first gear, gently punt the throttle, and you can ride a first gear balance point wheelie down the street if you want. But the TC makes things even easier, because the fear of taming 95 foot pounds of torque with your right hand goes away completely. You can get hilarious with the throttle off a corner, and the bike will step out enough but never too much, and pull adorable power wheelies as it accelerates in direct relation to how much traction the rear wheel has.

The engine is typical KTM, feeling chunky and somewhat vibey down low, but smoothing out through the midrange and moving into a screaming top end. You can tell it's a 1301cc engine, with 2 giant pistons, but it has a magical sort of smoothness from 4.5-6k, which means you find yourself cruising on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear unless you're really scooting along. It has a nice, quiet thumpy sound that builds to a even smooth beat at the high end. It has the usual chug and low speed thumpy vibrations, smooths through 4.5-6k, 6k to redline has some higher frequency vibes like you'd associate with an inline 4, but nothing bad enough to cause numbness or other issues, even during long track sessions.

I spend the next few days putting as many miles as I can on the bike. My experiences riding the bike in the meantime can be summed up as some sort of crazed happiness. It's so easy to ride at normal speeds, nothing like the uncompromising KTMs of yore, just a doddle to ride however you want. My friends who rode it who have owned KTMs in the past found it sort of disappointing, but after riding the 1190 for the first time, I had a hope that this would be a new leaf for KTM - a bike that is easy to ride both fast and slow.

Let's Bring Something Good to the Yardsale
I will admit to a certain level of trepidation about taking a brand new bike to the track. No one wants to throw away their brand new motorcycle, after all, and god knows I’ve seen that enough in my years of track riding, a sad kid standing next to the twisted heap of what used to be a GSXR, and visions of another 5 years of interest only payments dancing through his head. But I figured the KTM would be ok, after all, I didn’t have to ride it fast if I didn’t want to, and I know what I was getting into.

As Thunderhill goes live, I roll out, and remind myself that I don't want to be shopping at my own yardsale that day. Keep it slow, keep it simple, make your time on the throttle, don't worry too much about brakes and cornerspeed, and let's have a great time and go home safely. Knowing that the traction control is there to reign in any insanity, it’s 2 laps before I’m greedy and aggressive with the throttle, using the 95 foot pounds of torque to break the rear wheel loose and get it sliding out of the corners. It squirts off the corners with authority, and I immediately forget every year I spent carefully learning to maximize cornerspeed on my SV650 and GSX-R600 and became the literbike rider everyone hates, with the bonus of picking the bike up and absolutely thrashing other bikes on corner exit due to the confidence to use the entire engine as soon as I started lifting the bike up.

Only you can stop unsafe inside passes

A couple of quick adjustments at the hands of Dave Moss, and the bike is handling wonderfully, better than many supersports I have ridden on the track. It's composed, it goes where you want it to, and it gives incredible feedback front and rear. Even on the OEM tires, it is trivial to put in a quick A group pace, simply using the corners to maximize exit speed and keeping it comfortable on the brakes and at the apex. The Brembo monoblocks stop the bike with authority, the engine gives you the choice of monster drive in any of the 4 gears you could use for a corner, and the slipper clutch keeps the sliding controlled and entertaining.

Now, let's chat about the quirks of the bike, though. There are 2 major things that anyone should know about the Super Duke. The first is that the ABS in it's normal configuration is linked. It will do it's damnedest to keep the wheels in line, meaning it will slack the front if you slam downshifts and back it in while hard on the front brake. The easy fix to that is to kick it into Super Moto mode before you go out. That gives you just front ABS, and lets you go as nuts as you'd like with getting the rear tire sideways. The other quirk is with wheelies. It took me a good chunk of the day to figure out that the biggest issue with the OEM tires was that if you were leaned over a little bit, the rear wheel would start to spin when you're lifting the front, and the traction control would put the front end down for you, as it doesn't particularly care for both wheelies and spinning the rear wheel simultaneously. You'd still fire out of turn 9 like you were coming out of a cannon, but sometimes it would allow these beautiful, 2 foot power wheelies, and other times it'd just put the front end back down for you. I eventually learned the best way to handle it was to pin the throttle, ride the rear brake slightly, and that kept everything where I wanted it.

I had 4 major moments on the bike. 3 were near highsides - 2 out of turn 2 and 1 out of turn 6, where the bike got really sideways before the TC reigned me back in. Once it kicked me out of the seat as it caught traction, but that's pretty standard when you're riding fast, and was likely related to having an hour long session where the tire into just barely started to hot tear due to the change in temperature. The other moment happened late in the day, where the brakes finally started to fade a touch, I got a bit too hard into 14, and the ABS managed a stoppie for me. The rear lifted slightly, the front lever went dull for a moment, and then I was back at max braking. Didn't blow my line, didn't change my corner entrance, just a quick, unobtrusive fix to a momentary lapse in attention.

And that brings us to the end - this is a radically different KTM. KTM's motto has been "Ready to Race" for years. The older KTMs are firebreathers, and their riders love the aggression that implies. And believing in that is why I took it to the track less than a week after I picked it up. I’ve ridden a few of the other KTMs on the track, and they all tend to be out of the vein of a proper racebike. The 1290 comes from the other side of the table. It’s a streetbike, through and through, but it’s born from a stable of racebikes, and it hasn’t forgotten how to play on the fast stuff. It’s just as quick around a track as your typical supersport, but it’s about a thousand times easier to ride. The big bar gives confidence turning at speed, the suspension provides copious amounts of feedback, the rearsets are high enough to avoid scraping until you get deep into A pace, the brakes didn’t fade even with the stock pads and brake fluid until the very end of the day, even the OEM tires, set with proper pressures are up to the task. It's no longer the uncompromising, aggressive race machine that we saw them crank out year after year. It's refined and it makes going faster than you could imagine easy and fun. The bike had 280 miles go on in a single trackday, the vast majority of those miles were mine. The bike is so undemanding when ridden fast that I had one session where I filled the bike up and didn't come in until it was nearly out of gas, without any of the mental strain typically associated with riding a bike at A pace for an hour plus. But on top of that, it was clear was that you didn’t need to try to ride the bike fast. It was your willing partner in arms in everything you did, be that cruise slowly up the street or drift the rear at the exit of turn 2. Everyone else who rode the bike came back with the same commentary - the bike was just stupid easy to extract speed from. It didn't demand anything, it was a willing partner in whatever shenanigans you wanted to get up to, while making sure that things didn't get so far out of control that we all ended up in a bad place. The only downsides are that I wish the electronics had more granular adjustment. I'd love to have TC with no wheelie control, and ABS that let you roll stoppies, but these are minor concerns - it's easy enough to simply disable one or the other if you want to play.

But the best part of it all is that I woke up the next day, threw the mirrors on, and commuted to work on it. It was a little stiff on the track settings, but I dialed that back and it was beautiful across the road as well. And that’s pretty much the story as it has gone thus far. The future for me and the bike? Well, at this point it's pretty much cosmetic work, and continue to ride the bike every day, rain or shine. I'm looking forward to doing some 800 mile days. The seat is comfortable, but requires a longer trip to really determine if it's just right or not. The wheels are gorgeous, and will get pulled for a replica paint job of the KTM prototype wheels as soon as I change the tires for the first time. It’s funny, because usually when someone says a bike is better than the sum of it’s parts, it’s because the parts are poo poo but it works out anyways (I’m looking at you, SV650). But in this case, KTM started with the best parts and managed to make something that is even better than all of those parts would usually say, and that is something beautiful.

As they say, if you have the means...I highly recommend picking one up.

Some other amusing/general notes about the bike:
It does have a massive, 60mm nut that holds the rear rim on, and takes an incredible 160 foot pounds of torque to install. Not for the weak of heart or arm.

The seating position is upright, slightly canted forward, with adjustable distance on the pegs, levers, and handlebars. Rearsets are available, but the natural seating position is an excellent compromise between cornering clearance and all day comfort. It could easily be ridden for an Ironbutt if the rider was so inclined.

The overall size of the bike is large and tall, but it's not a weighty largeness, just a sense of imposing presence, with plenty of space for the rider and passenger. It splits traffic with ease, steering stops are generous and allow for easy low speed maneuvers.

There’s also the sweet LED running light, which is claimed to be 4x more visible than the headlight. When it’s daytime, the bike detects that and uses the LED running lights rather than the headlight, once the sun goes down, it kicks on the headlight.

I never take the bike out of sport mode, so I can't speak to the other modes.

Working on it is a doddle - everything is easy to access, the toolkit is great, chain adjustments are dead simple, and it has a cool design where you pull up on the chain against a few marks on the chain guard to determine slack. The headlight folds down if you remove 2 bolts, and allows easy access to turn signals, headlight connector and bulb, running lights/connector, and the heated grip plug (available from the factory!).

I hope you've enjoyed my story about how I ended up with the 1290. See you guys out there :)

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Z3n posted:

<Wall of Words>

Dammit. How am I supposed to not buy one of those things now?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

tarzanspuma posted:

Nice writeup Z3n. Christ, I want one even more if that's possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Nice writeup Z3n. Christ, I want one even more if that's possible.

It's so good.

tarzanspuma posted:

That's easy, just renounce all your worldly possessions and move to a remote mountaintop where you contemplate the meaning of life and our place in the universe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why are the little rear reflectors still on it what is wrong with you

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

It's so good.

That's easy, just renounce all your worldly possessions and move to a remote mountaintop where you contemplate the meaning of life and our place in the universe.

Our place in the universe is on top of real cool bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^^ Word.

Slavvy posted:

Why are the little rear reflectors still on it what is wrong with you

Too busy riding a sweet bike to care about that bullshit!

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
And you kept telling me you were getting a V-Strom like mine. Color me surprised.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Excellent review Z3n!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pimping Giraffe posted:

And you kept telling me you were getting a V-Strom like mine. Color me surprised.

It's pretty much a vstrom, except like, not poo poo.

Ola posted:

Excellent review Z3n!

Thanks, means a lot coming from the foreign wordsmith. :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
People were paging you, Z3n, on SVRider regarding your 1290. In case you didn't see it already.

Edit: Here: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266929

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Oh, you found it.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 13, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MetaJew posted:

People were paging you, Z3n, on SVRider regarding your 1290. In case you didn't see it already.

Oh, cool, thanks. I hadn't seen that, I don't hang around on SVrider much anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sorta crappy pics, but the first mockup for a fender eliminator, front turn signals relocated to the radiator guards, rear signals relocated to passenger pegs, passenger peg relocator plates for a bit more legroom for my wife, KTM PHDS system installed, first mockup for the gauge mount/relocator, folding/adjustable levers installed. Also cut down the OEM bar weights to work with the lever guards. I need to order the green elastomers for the PHDS system, hopefully that'll knock out the remaining vibes.

Then it's make everything look pretty, hopefully by the time I'm done I'll have burned through the OEM tires, and everything + the rims go off for powdercoating.

Then I start on the molds for the carbon fiber parts...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are those ebay lights on the RC and 675 there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Brammo lights - you can pick them up for around 70 bucks from any brammo dealer. Same as used on the new vmax, expensive lsl kits, etc. The RC51 one is actually from an lsl kit the PO bought.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does it come with mounting brackets or is it just the straight up lighting fixture? I was looking at the LSL kit but there is no way in hell I'd spend that kind of money on a light... may as well find my plastics for that price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Does it come with mounting brackets or is it just the straight up lighting fixture? I was looking at the LSL kit but there is no way in hell I'd spend that kind of money on a light... may as well find my plastics for that price.

Just the light itself, no mounting stuff. A bit of bent aluminum and a hoseclamp does just fine for securing it though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Guess I should save this from archives cause one day I'll build an RS125/450.

Also I rode my KTM at the track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SmFJrsC38

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Strange that they would pair you with the 125cc bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There is figuratively nothing more amazing than monstering an RSV4 on corner exit, before it becomes a horsepower contest. I ended up chatting with a guy during a red flag on an RSV4 who figured that he'd just be able to motor on past the guy on the naked bike, he was very amused by my antics of leaving giant black streaks out of every corner while walking away from him. When we finished the session off, he definitely pulled harder once we hit the longer straights and aero started being a thing, but anything up to about 110, he didn't have a thing on the 1290.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What track is that (I am an east coaster)? What's the red light mean? What tires are you running? :confused: :hb:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

There is figuratively nothing more amazing than monstering an RSV4 on corner exit, before it becomes a horsepower contest. I ended up chatting with a guy during a red flag on an RSV4 who figured that he'd just be able to motor on past the guy on the naked bike, he was very amused by my antics of leaving giant black streaks out of every corner while walking away from him. When we finished the session off, he definitely pulled harder once we hit the longer straights and aero started being a thing, but anything up to about 110, he didn't have a thing on the 1290.

Interesting that you say this because I would've figured an RSV4 would have a ludicrous first gear that would let him reel you in regardless. V-twin manytorques supremacy I guess.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So the red light is the shift light, what indicates TC?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Little yellow {!} Down on the bottom.

Shift light we figured out was always on over 6k while it was... Uh... Being broken in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

What track is that (I am an east coaster)? What's the red light mean? What tires are you running? :confused: :hb:

Thunderhill, red light is the "don't rev over this cause you're in break in light" and the tires are the OEM ones - bike is pretty much straight off the showroom floor.

Slavvy posted:

Interesting that you say this because I would've figured an RSV4 would have a ludicrous first gear that would let him reel you in regardless. V-twin manytorques supremacy I guess.

No replacement for displacement etc

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
What's up with the cracks in the display? :shobon: That's too much breaking in imho.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ohh that makes sense, it looked like it was coming on too often to be a shift light. I need to move to california.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

What's up with the cracks in the display? :shobon: That's too much breaking in imho.

It got pre-broken in in the shipping from the factory. Apparently it's a common problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So the 1290 is at the dealership cause the real wheel has some side to side play. It seems to be consistent across all 1290s, as a brand new bike on the showroom floor had roughly the same amount of play. It gets worse when it's been ridden for a while.

If the bike is in the shop for more than 30 days, I'm going to lemon law it cause gently caress paying that much money for a bike I can't ride.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
What's Cali's lemon law timeframe? Thirty days in the shop over what period of time?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

So the 1290 is at the dealership cause the real wheel has some side to side play. It seems to be consistent across all 1290s, as a brand new bike on the showroom floor had roughly the same amount of play. It gets worse when it's been ridden for a while.

If the bike is in the shop for more than 30 days, I'm going to lemon law it cause gently caress paying that much money for a bike I can't ride.

Why would it take that long to fix a wheel?

also, "The lemon law does not cover any portion of a motor home designed, used or maintained
primarily for human habitation; a motorcycle; or a motor vehicle that is not registered under
the Vehicle Code because it is to be operated or used exclusively off the highways. "

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

More than 30 days of downtime within the warranty period is the timeframe.

I've bought bikes with lemon law buyback titles and have a buddy who's a lawyer that has handled this sort of buyback in the past, so I know a bike can be lemon lawed in CA.

The reason its probably not going to be fixed in 30 days is because I'm pretty sure the problem isnt a wheel problem, it's a machining problem with the sssa axle that causes side to side play, so fixing it requires complete replacement of the axle and all bearings.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

My SD's got the same problem with play in the rear axle. Discussed it with the dealer/service guy, he told me that most of the bikes they've sold have it. It can't be fixed by replacing the relevant bits, as it's just going to reappear after a short while.

However, he was of the opinion that since KTM already knows about it and hasn't issued a service notice or recall it shouldn't be a safety problem (ie. the rear's not going to seize up on you). Expect a service notice for new rear bearings at some point. He certainly didn't counsel leaving it in the shop to rot...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

rmdx posted:

My SD's got the same problem with play in the rear axle. Discussed it with the dealer/service guy, he told me that most of the bikes they've sold have it. It can't be fixed by replacing the relevant bits, as it's just going to reappear after a short while.

However, he was of the opinion that since KTM already knows about it and hasn't issued a service notice or recall it shouldn't be a safety problem (ie. the rear's not going to seize up on you). Expect a service notice for new rear bearings at some point. He certainly didn't counsel leaving it in the shop to rot...

Honestly, my hope is that they'll do the same for me - say "KTM doesn't consider it critical unless play is over amount x", and I'll get the bike back, can ride it until then, keep them posted until it hits that point, and then bring it in and have them fix it under warranty as the issue was present early on. This is half CYA for me to establish the problem, but we'll see what happens.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it noticeable when you ride the bike? I'm having difficulty picturing which direction the play is in. Does the wheel just move back and forth along the axis of the 'axle'? By how much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Z3n didn't you say you were looking for a cbx at one point? I know you're a bit over projects at the moment but there's one on Craig's List in Walnut Creek at the moment. It's priced at $4,500 which seems laughably high.

• Locked thread