Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Bleusilences posted:

No it's a core 2 quad. I tried it before in may last year but the dev said there was no quad core support back then, only dual. The games where running from full speed to about 66%.

If overclocking is an option, 3ghz should be cake to get to. You can probably just crank it straight to there without even worrying about voltage. I'd be surprised actually if there was a core2 chip that can't hit 3ghz...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Gyoru posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention performance has went down since they went to DX11 on the GSdx plugin so use DX9 to get good performance.

Huh, I'm sure they'll get it back up. DX10 used to be faster than DX9 for me.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Hung Yuri posted:

I too notice a huge performance boost on dx9 compared to dx10 (can't do dx11, don't have a 5x card, only 4x) in that generally it was too slow but dx9 actually ran at an acceptable fps.

Terpfen posted:

What's the purpose of abandoning DX10 in the first place? I'm a little disappointed: my 4850X2 won't do DX11, so I've got to downgrade to DX9 now? :(

The DX11 runtime has support for all the way down to DX9 hardware.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Rothgil posted:

You need a 57 series card to use DX 11

No you don't. The DX11 runtime supports hardware (via feature levels) all the way back to DX9 stuff. You don't need DX11 hardware to actually use the API. It's up to the developers to add support for the fall-backs though.

You need at least Vista SP2 or Windows 7 to actually even install DX11 though.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

TehGherkin posted:

Hola PS2 Emulation thread; some of you may (probably don't) remember my post way, way back asking if my piece of poo poo computer could emulate all those PS2 games up on the shelf that I never get to play anymore. I've recently upgraded my system and while I think I should be okay, I could do with another, more educated opinion.

It's an Intel Quadcore Q6600 @2.40GHZ, 2GB of RAM with an Nvidia 9600 GSO, I've currently been enjoying a fair few PC games I bought that I found myself never able to play due to my poor PC, and it'd be great to do this with some old PS2 classics as well (I'd really like The Warriors to come out to play.)

TIA

3ghz is basically free on Q6600s.

Mine never saw stock speeds, it went straight to 3.0 undervolted. I can almost guarantee it will ~* just work *~ if you roll up and set your FSB to 333. If you have trouble, try it out. There's a million overclocking guides all over.

slovach fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 28, 2010

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Golbez posted:

:monocle: And I assume, Dreamcast? :holy:

What about XBox?

Dreamcast emulators exist and work, pretty sure I remember playing Sonic Adventure before. I think it was fine, but it's a pretty major title so I'm not sure how compatibility fares elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

VDay posted:

Yeah it's not really a huge issue or anything, I just always found it weird that some emulators decided that they didn't want to use F3/F5 or whatever but instead would have F2/F4. I figured this would've all been standardized by now.

Anyway FFT: War of the lions looks like it works great so far. Runs at a smooth framerate and looks fantastic considering that I'm playing it in an 3x resolution. Game slows down to 15 fps during huge spell effects, but seems fine otherwise. Opening FMV/cutscene played in a window that looked like it was probably the native resolution, but the church cutscene was fine and looked great.

Oh and it has the feature that I look forward to most on any emulator: it detects controller input even when the emulator window isn't the main focus, meaning I can skip through dialogue/cutscenes while dicking around on the internet on my other monitor.

FFT seems to gently caress up after the first real fight with your crew. It seems to crash under JIT and shits itself (but stays alive) under the interpreter. I patched the disc image with something I found on FFHacktics to fix the framerate halving during spells, and it works fine -- but the game itself really isn't playable since it starts vomiting all over itself after battles once it puts you on your own.

Latest SVN's still do it.

edit: I don't know how the gently caress I missed your next post, aka the one right above me. Oops.

slovach fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 26, 2013

• Locked thread