Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lots of bugs flying around my flowers, so I decided to try getting some macro shots of them, as best as I good with my 18-55mm lens.

DSC_0517.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Not sure which of these works better.

DSC_0526.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0544.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll get a new lens soon that'll work better for macro so that I can real up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

FLX posted:

I prefer this one, but I would maybe crop it closer around the wasp to direct the attention towards it and to get rid of the scratches(?) in the lower half of the image.

Pretty sure it's little bits of spider web. There have been a lot of little orb weavers making webs that inevitably get blown apart from the wind and storms, so the flowers were just covered in the stuff if you looked close.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0580.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The bees at my house are a nightmare to try getting a good picture of.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

A little easier to get shots of the bee's in my yard with this 70-300. Much nicer taking the shots from 3 feet away instead of 3 inches.

DSC_0114.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This ant I spotted while bee hunted stole the show though.

DSC_0135.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spiders are awesome.

DSC_0375.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0362.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Didn't even see this guy until I looked at my pictures later.

DSC_0413.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And he was just floating in the air.

DSC_0408.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm going to have to get some tubes soon, maybe a flash as well.

DSC_0606.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0474.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Rovasti posted:

Bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lens and some cheap extension tubes. I do not yet have an external flash, but i really need to buy one as soon as possible.

Just bought a reverse ring for my old 50mm Pentax lenses too! Need to figure out whether the f2 or the f1.4 I have works better with it, but the ring hasn't come in yet.

I did get a free uv filter with my nikon 35mm f1.8 though, I might make a homemade reverse mount to mess with in the meantime.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Reverse ring showed up :neckbeard:

DSC_0037.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0040.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0042.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Really need to figure out a good lighting system. Or at least to buy a lamp. Wound up just using my phone as a flash light for these shots, which worked surprisingly well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

A5H posted:

Woah what lens?

Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm reverse mounted to a nikon 35mm 1.18g. I've also got a 1:2 50mm pentax lens and my 18-55VR nikon lens that I use with this reversing ring, so I'm going to be spending a while figuring out what combo works best.

e. I don't know if the 18-55 will get as sharp of a picture, but my big problem with the 35mm lens is that you wind up seeing the barrel of the 50mm lens that's attached to it, so you wind up with only the very center of the frame usable.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 20, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man I love this reversed lens, although lighting is a bitch. The thing focuses about a centimeter or two away from the subject, so my pop-up flash is generally useless. I had some good luck using my hat to bounce the flash back at the subject for some of these though.

Science is pretty Rock and Roll. by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0048.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0034.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

:3:

I love this reversed pentax lens setup, but I think the reversing ring is stuck to my 18-55. As in literally stuck, I can't get it off. :geno:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Anti_Social posted:

Press it up against the bottom of a sneaker and twist. It's how I've gotten some stuck filters off before.

:aaaaa: That worked perfectly, thanks!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

It's a Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket

It's pretty good, feels very solid and well-made - comes with two arms, I took one off though. I'm also going to add a cheap little ballhead to make it more flexible.

That is awesome, I think I'm going to have to pick one of those up along with a flash of some sort.

Would be nice being able to get a quick shot instead of needing a 2.5 second exposure like I did with this one.

DSC_0500.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Anyone have good tips for lighting with a reverse lens setup? When the lens is a few cm away from the subject it seems tricky to get good lighting.

Also I really need to go back and clean up the background in that picture still.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I was trying to get some video too. Plus, they were really small spiders!

Ughhh video of jumping spiders is a real pain. I spent about 5 minutes trying that and I got about 30 seconds of footage that I felt was good enough to post in the critterquest thread, and by that I meant "hey you can tell it's a spider".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQQ7IC2PmjI

Handheld macro video just doesn't work very well for me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Lens reversal does let me get closer, all the macro shots I've posted were done with a reversed lens. Don't see any reason why using a reversed lens and extension tubes at the same time wouldn't work.

Would it get you closer than what you're already doing? I dunno about that, but it's a fairly cheap option. I use a pentax 50mm f/1.4 reverse mounted my 18-55mm nikon, with the pentax set wide open and the nikon stepped down as far as possible, and I think it gives me good results. I do have to do some cropping in the end though, some of the reverse mounted lens winds up in the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdespair/6261310673/ if you look at original size version of that picture I think you'll get a good idea of the results I get, you can make out the individual rgb parts of the pixels of the lcd screen.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Spent the night with a 50mm reverse mounted on my camera.

Started out with some pictures of a pocket knife. Carbon fiber looks pretty cool.

DSC_1183.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1182.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Then I started taking shots of my old camera.

DSC_1178.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Been there, done that. by MrDespair, on Flickr

Hard Life by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1172.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Are these stacked shots or individual? Either way, great detail! I like the gritty texture these shots have.

Individual shots, I just had the aperture stopped as far down as possible with the camera on a tripod. Pretty sure some of them are 15-25 second exposures (I really need to get better lighting).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Took pictures of bubbles and then tried a bunch of different things in lightroom to see what looked good and what didn't.

DSC_1171.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1170.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1165.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1162.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_1161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I really want to get some extension rings or something instead of reverse mounting, it's just so tricky getting this close to a bug without accidentally poking him.

Mayfly by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Picked up a Yongnuo 560II speedlite, and a 52mm to nikon mount so that I can stick my pentax 50mm f/1.4 directly onto the body, and I love this combo.

DSC_0236.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0225.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0217.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0290.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0206.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Wish I could get a little more DoF with it, but hard to beat the cost.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0540.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Pentile screen, shot taken with a microscope.

ZOOM, ENHANCE

DSC_0541.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

A laptop screen taken at the same magnification.

DSC_0542.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And this was a test slide with some dust on it.

DSC_0532.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 6, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Made an attempt at focus stacking. I've got some issues with my setup (notably that the fact that I'm using a 50mm prime reversed onto my 18-55 leaves me with such close focus distance that the lens gets in the way of the flash). Made shooting this rock trickier than I wanted. Still, the controlmynikon software made it really easy to setup a series of pictures for the stack, and helicon focus stacked it up pretty painlessly as well. Going to figure out some better subjects to shoot tomorrow hopefully.

12-08-30_202119_M=B_R=8_S=4.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

For reference this is roughly what the DoF was on the unstacked shots

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0151-2.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

dakana posted:

I'm not sure exactly what this is or where it is, but I like it. It's creepy.

It's a small moth photographed through a dirty window.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The best thing I find when trying to manually focus on moving subjects is to just go out and practice a lot. leave your lens at one position, and just move the camera until it looks sharp and take the shot (fire off a few in continuous mode if you want).

It'll get easier.

VVVVVV Don't use a tripod, don't use live view. Just get your face right up into it and snap the pic when you have the shot.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 22, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

slardel posted:

I was reading about using a reversed lens for macro today and decided to play around with it.

so I made this boring little video, it's my first time doing the reverse lens thing and also the first video I've shot with my 60d

https://vimeo.com/49955389

I couldn't find a way to manually adjust the aperture on my canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, which is the one I had reversed, so it was stuck open wide, so the depth of field is really shallow. also it was really hard to hold anything steady in the frame.

sorry if this should go in the video thread, I feel like it's appropriate in both.

If you're going to reverse mount just go find a cheap manual lens to use. You should be able to find a pentax 50mm of some kind for very cheap if you'e patient (I've seen UG ones go for under 5 bucks on KEH).

And if you're shooting video, use a tripod or something, or at least try to be a little steady. You just aren't going to get good long video clips without a tripod reliably though.

This is what I normally use for shooting bugs (generally without the ghetto extension tube made out of step up/step down rings though).

Can get pretty good DoF if you stop down to f/16 or so, and you can generally still get enough light to see when shooting bugs. shooting indoors or something I'd recommend taping a flashlight to your camera or something.

DSC_0159.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0161.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0206.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Doesn't hurt to take a lot of pics if you have a moving subject. Sometimes you'll get a good sharp shot right away, but sometimes you might not get everything lined up for 30 or 40 shots, especially if it's windy outside or something. I think I took more than 50 shots of this bug while it was there. Of course, sometimes you'll get to the computer and realize that your first shot was the best anyways, but hey, digital is cheap that way.

DSC_0236.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

What I'm really saying though is go buy a pentax 50mm prime lens and reverse mount it asap. What you get for teh cost is great (and then you'll have a lens handy when you buy an ME Super).

e. Vallium works great too.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 22, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0195.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0199.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0200.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's actually just freshly stirred hot chocolate. Water does weird things when you mix stuff in.

e. also it was delicious.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I forgot my reversing ring at home, so I had to handhold the lens to the camera for this. Worked surprisingly well.

DSC_0409.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

New favorite macro setup. 75mm f/4.5 pentax 67 lens reverse mounted via a stack of step down rings. Seems to give a real nice magnification ratio while still having a good ~6 " focus distance.

Some quick test shots using some unwilling subjects (all uncropped).

e. just shot a ruler, it's almost exactly 1:1 magnification.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 3, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0307.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

That's not pi...

it's close enough for most things

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

you ever look at a flame and go "man, i should macro that poo poo"

DSC_0686.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0688.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0675.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I got some extension tubes in today, and I realized that I could get ok macro shots from ~4 feet away now with this setup

My fish are less than amused about this (not pictured: the flash that sits on top of everything).

DSC_0091.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0092.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0093.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Same thing with a p67 lens on the end instead and I can get some greater than 1:! magnification

Magically Delicious by MrDespair, on Flickr

English Muffin by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You guys have issues, spiders rule.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The critterquest thread in gbs is a good place for all critter shots.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I bought my 75mm p67 lens for about $110, reverse mounted it'll do around 1:1.

So what I'm saying is that it's a great excuse to buy a pentax 67.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Testing a reversed takumar 35/3.5 on my om-d.

P4070409.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cotton Glove.

P4150694.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Ashex posted:

I failed pretty hard at doing proper research when I was shopping. Bought a reversing ring for my 50mm only to realize when it arrived that it's for attaching two lenses together so it's useless (52-52).

Looking into it again, I'm thinking I should be getting extension tubes? Does anyone have a recommendation on what size I should get for a 50mm? I'll probably try using it with my 70-200 lens so I'm assuming I shouldn't be getting a crazy long one.

This is for a Nikon body and I'm cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Filt...+reversing+ring is the reversing ring you'd want.

As far as tubes go, any set you buy will generally come in 3 pieces, you can either use them all or just use part for how much extension you need. If you need automatic aperture look for the kenko tubes, they work a lot better than the other options. Which is why they cost a lot.

So hopefully it's a manual lens!