Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This thread is tempting me to buy some tubes to attatch to my 50mm 1.8, but I really don't know much about them. What results do the different lengths of tube give? What would you suggest to a beginner who wants to snap the occasional picture of some insects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Gambl0r posted:

Go with a Kenko set... you get three different lengths that you can use individually or together for less money than a single 1st-party extension tube. Since the tubes contain no glass elements, you will see no difference in image quality or anything like that. The more recent Kenko sets work with EF and EF-S lenses (assuming you're on Canon - they make Nikon sets too) and maintain autofocus (up to a point... the longer the tubes you use, the less likely autofocus is to work).

I went into my local camera store and I ordered a cheap reversing ring and I'm gonna see how much use I get out of it before going with the tubes. I have a feeling I'm going to end up them regardless though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those first four are hot as gently caress.