Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

flux_core posted:

Is there any actual R&D done by the military itself anymore?
You mean besides field modifications/jury-rigs? Not much. Military/DoD Civilians may write the specs and manage contracts, but there's very little organic R&D anymore. There are a few actual R&D jobs at NRL and I think AFRL, but even those are mostly civilians.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MonkeyFit posted:

Relating to that, the recruiter told me my training would get me within about 15 credit hours of a bachelors degree. Is there any truth to that, and if so, exactly which degree is it?
A better choice may be to go ROTC and get a degree for real, coming in as an officer.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Giudecca posted:

Northrop Grumman shipyard in Newport News is a fantastic environment with lots of great things to do within walking distance. Very low crime rate, no litter, no one ever asks for change. I love the area. Have a great time. :)
:backtowork: Every single word in this post is objectively true.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'm bumping this thread to ask the fine gentlemen of this thread, re, meltdowns, I know we don't have them, but apparently Japan is undergoing one, and can any of you explain what happened/how it happened/potentials to how it could be prevented etc? More or less your observations/knowledge on this sort of thing.
Fukushima Daiichi I is a boiling water reactor (BWR), which is a little bit different from pressurized water reactor (PWR) naval reactors and most of the reactors in the US (TMI is PWR), but BWR and PWR both work on the same operating principals, just at different pressures.

There's no Chernobyl-esque meltdown, that's for sure. If the core ever did melt, the nuclear reaction would instantly halt because it's been designed to require neutron moderators in the cooling water, and the absence of those moderators will cause it to lose criticality. A partial melt-down is the worst-case scenario (and would cause an economic loss of the plant from the cost of the repair), but rather moot as the plant has already been damaged beyond economic repair by the tsunami and saltwater.

There was an initial supposed japanese-to-english mistranslation stating that there was a meltdown and a pipe burst at reactor 1, but the Japanese Prime Minister quickly clarified that there was no meltdown and the coolant system was intact. An increase in levels of cesium and iodine in the building are pretty good indications of damage to the core and a leak in the primary system, though; unsurprising, considering pressures were about 2.1x the design limit after loss of cooling water prevented removal of waste heat. This leak released high-pressure steam into the secondary containment building, which is hardened to withstand significantly increased pressures from such a release.

It's not clear yet from reports whether this was a pure steam explosion, from pressures exceeding the capacity of the secondary containment building, or from hydrogen gas released when zirconium alloyed into the the core is exposed during a melt-down and reacts with the oxygen in the cooling water.

The radiation levels are far exaggerated in the press; the refinery fires released far more radiation into the atmosphere from trace radioactive elements in the oil than the hydrogen/steam explosion did. If I'm not mistaken, most of the radiation flux in steam from a BWR is N16, which has a half-life measured in seconds and would only release measurable radiation for a minute or so after leaving the reactor vessel. The Cesium and Iodine isotopes released in a core explosion would be more dangerous, but only VERY small amounts of these have so far been detected- hence why reports are that only a tiny % of the core is suspected to have melted in the "meltdown" scenario.

grover posted:

To combat people's fear of radiation and lack of basis for comparison for the danger between different levels of radiation, I created an initiative to calculate radiation exposure, and, in every radiation thread, present the radiation numbers in terms of SWWs, the exposure you get from natural radiation in the human body while spooning with your wife for an 8 hour night.

The human body contains 13.8Bq (0.37nCi), mostly from K40 (gamma) and C14 (beta). I'll try to do some rough calcs. Even spooning naked, C14's beta won't be much of a risk so I decided to run the calcs for K40 alone. Someone saved me the work, though! The equivilent dose of radiation from the human body is 40 mrem/yr- about 1/3 the natural background radiation we recieve every year, and 1/6 total radiation we recieve. How that compared to other radiation sources is readily noted at this link.

Calcs:
code:
Human Body Radiation: 40mrem/year
Time spent spooning: 8 hours/night (1/3t)
Percent exposure: appx 25% of circumference
1 SWW (Spooning with Wife) = 40 * 1/3 * 1/4 = 2.5mrem/year
  • Spooning with wife 8 hours a night for a year: 1 SWW (baseline)
  • Annual US average background radiation = 144 SWW
  • Radiation you get from natural radioisotopes in your own body (like the carbon-14 used in carbon dating): 16 SWW
  • 1 Dental X-Ray = 4 SWW
  • 1 Mammogram = 28 SWW
  • EPA unreasonably tight 15mrem radiation limit for Yucca Mountain = 6 SWW, BECAUSE 7 SWW WILL KILL YOU!!!! ATOMZZZ!!!! oh, wait...
  • Chaining yourself to the fence of a nuclear plant for 1 year to protest ATOMZ by self-sacrificing yourself: 0.1 SWW
  • Amount of radiation the tank commander of a DU-armored M1A2 tank recieves per hour, despite being literally surrounded by tons upon tons of depleted uranium: 0.000004 SWWs
  • Annual Bikini Atoll background radiation = 116 SWW for the most highly irradiated place on earth. Yeah, that's right: no radon, so it's actually below the US average, and perfectly safe to visit and live. Just don't eat too much locally grown food, as there's a lot of Cs137 in the soil.
  • Eating nothing but locally grown Bikini Island food: 1.6 SWW per day.

Worth noting:
  • A single dose of roughly 40,000SWWs is the lower limit of toxicity to humans if received at once
  • 400,000SWWs is almost invariably fatal. Protip: limit your spooning to just a few wives at once.

Peak hourly radiation levels at Fukushima I immediately after the explosion were reported as 101.5 mrem/hr. Roughly equivalent to spooning with your wife every night for a month, and less than you'd get from normal background radiation over the course of a year. Considering these were peak levels right at the plant and the gasses dissipated quickly, it's highly unlikely to hurt anyone.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 13, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sectoidman posted:

What about Anatoli Bugorski, the guy who got a ~3000 Sv dose to the brain from sticking his head in a running particle accelerator? As I understand it, the brain isn't terribly sensitive to radiation, but he didn't die or even get the normal symptoms of radiation sickness, and indeed went on to complete his PhD (though he does still occasionally have seizures).
He sticks he head in a particle accelerator and survives ~ 300x a normally lethal dose of radiation, yet wants us to believe his only superpowers are seizures and tinnitus?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

We only have a limited number of prototype instructors. Also, the prototypes are approaching 60 years old so they break all the time. As an instructor, I spend far more time making the submarine work than I do teaching.
You probably can't elaborate, but I often wonder why they don't use an excess sub as a trainer instead, one that would otherwise be decommissioned and sold for scrap.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Third World Reggin posted:

I don't know why you think he couldn't elaborate on that.

They are using an excess sub as a trainer, two of them in fact.
Yes, that much is public knowledge. Anything even remotely related to nuclear propulsion that's not mentioned on USN press releases is usually pretty sensitive and not to be commented on publicly.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Please don't even joke about classified material, Third World Reggin.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

DarkSol posted:

You mean like my idea of making the Big E a floating prototype? :v:
Exactly! 8 reactors to scavenge parts from :D

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Got to tour Surry Nuclear Power Plant today, which was pretty fuckin' awesome. I was actually rather surprised how small 800MW turbines and generators are; I expected everything would be way bigger. Even the containment building was smaller than I'd pictured it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ChewedFood posted:

All this talk about snow worries me. I've never seen snow. I drive a newer Accord, should I trade it for a truck?

How long does it take to get an apartment in Ballston Spa? Do I just shack up with friends already there while I look or something?

And now the most important question: should I ask for grad hold in Goose Creek or New York? What is the difference?
Nealy any car is fine for snow; the most important thing is tires! Snow tires beat the crap off allseasons, and summer tires are outright dangerous. Lazy people (and those in temperate area) use all seasons year round, but in really snowy regions, they'll switch tires spring and fall.

When the snow gets deep enough that ground clearance makes a difference, you probably shouldn't be driving anyhow. Fortunately, areas that routinely get a lot of snow know how to deal with it and keep most roads clear. Remember: all cars have 4 wheel braking! AWD/4WD just help you get into trouble faster. (I've found most people who talk about their giant 4WD SUV saving their rear end are talking about getting unstuck after doing something stupid, as any fwd/rwd with good tires would have performed just as well.). The exception is steel hilly icy secondaries that don't get plo wed.

Driving on snow and ice is a bit different than you're probably used to, so read up on tips and tricks and practice in an empty parking lot and you'll pick it up quick.
Just remember: do not brake, steer or accellerate on ice (VERY light inputs to keep you on the road) and, and just coast and maintain control and then fix your speed/direction when yoyou get to good pavement again.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 1, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
What's the optimal slip angle on ice, 90 degrees?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You are not seriously suggesting that there is not technical superiority in adverse driving conditions with 4WD/AWD.

Yes, people get to comfortable behind their little 4WD badge, but come on now.
They are technically superior accelerating in low-grip conditions, making it up icy hills, etc. My point, though, is that if it's so bad than you can't drive a FWD safely, you shouldn't be driving an AWD either.

Snowdens Secret posted:

These are generally true statements that no longer apply when you're in the military, especially the nuclear Navy, and you might get cut slack for being a little late if it's a serious blizzard, but calling in and saying "sorry my car can't make it" means one of your schmuck shipmates is going to be dispatched to go get you. Remember, if you don't plan to leave early to account for the weather, it's your fault.
Your command should never be telling you to drive in unsafe conditions; traffic accidents remain the #1 killer of sailors and your CO/XO might have something to say if your chief or LPO tells you to drive in a blizzard. That said, there is such a thing as weather forecasting and pre-planning and you absolutely should be leaving earlier during lighter snowstorms to ensure you get to work in time. If you routinely can't get in because your mustang has bald summer tires, that's entirely your fault though.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Stationed in Groton there were at least two occasions that the boat demanded everyone come in in the morning only to tell us at muster that road conditions weren't safe enough to come to work and send everyone but the duty section home. The one time I got my lifted truck stuck was one of these days, where I had parked in what I thought I remembered was a parking lot, but had no visual cues to confirm.
Yeah, that's just a failure of your chain of command.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 2, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
5 days to respond, and this is the best y'all could come up with?

Tell me again how your CO would rather you die than be late for muster.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Ryand-Smith posted:

grover please concede the point bro, I mean i don't seem to have a hatred/dislike like some posters, but yeah this is a funtime military thing.
Well, right or wrong, seems to be pervasive.

Still, stupid as hell to muster everyone then send them home because it's too dangerous to drive, etc.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 7, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

monkeyboy posted:

I enjoyed my limited time in Guam, took advantage of the excellent diving and played a lot of golf (mostly at Anderson AFB). I'd rather be stationed there than at Pearl, where there are seemingly hundreds of flag officers, staff officers, and shore duty/squadron senior ncos who's entire life is patrolling the waterfront and reporting everything they see to your CO. Constant bell ringing, saluting, and all that Navy stuff. Reminded me of Norfolk, but with better weather.
My previous sea tour was in Groton, and the atmosphere/tempo were better. Professional but relaxed, and the attitude was that the boats and missions were more important than squadron. The other way around in Pearl.

Then again, that's speaking as a chief. When I was a younger sailor, I'm sure I'd hate it.
I've only been to Guam on TDY, but I do like the island; the diving is great and even the near-dead coral right off the hotels is fantastic to snorkel. If I got back from work with a half hour of sunlight left, I'd grab my fins & snorkel and go hit the water. I think I've visted every WWII site on the island, too. I'm sure the novelty of it would wear off pretty quick and the reality of island life would drag on, but I've enjoyed every TDY.

I'd describe Guam as a minature Hawaii; the climate and whole tropical atmosphere is very similar, and Tumon Bay is like a scaled-down Waikiki (but with even more Japanese tourists.) The worst thing about Guam are the flights to get there. drat, the flight out sucks.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cerekk posted:

At least you can roam the base by yourself, though! Wait, no, you can't, because Polaris Point is like five goddamn miles from all the base facilities. Have fun waiting an hour for a duty van to take you to the NEX. At least you can wait at the only place close enough to walk to--a tiny building with four vending machines and 50 people all trying to use a $30 Netgear router simultaneously.
Right here, this is your problem. What you REALLY needed was a car. You'd have a miserably loving experience on nearly any base in the world if you spent the entire tour/port visit/whatever within a short walking distance of your boat, letalone as far out as Polaris Point. Buy a car, seriously. Or if it's just a short visit, split a rental car with your buddies or something.

The good strip clubs in the tourist district import hot girls from CONUS and asia because that's what the japanese businessmen come to Guam for- they want to play golf, shoot guns, and watch hot western girls strip completely nude, because they can't shoot guns or see western girls strip or any girls strip nude in Japan, and they fly to Guam for the weekend and do this all for about what it costs for a single round of golf in Tokyo. Meanwhile, their wives and daughters spend them poor in all the high-end shopping. You can- and should- be enjoying this all instead of taking a bus to the NEX, jesus christ.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, typically people don't have the ability to rent a car in Guam. Your shuttles are your only choice.
Well, that really sucks :( Everything worth seeing/doing is too far for a reasonable cab ride. I'll give y'all a ride next time I'm in Guam.

There's some great diving out near the ammo piers, but you need scuba gear for that, and the rental place is a long damned walk. If you charter a guide, good chance they'll pick you up. I can PM you contact info if anyone's interested.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
There's a nuke thread in A/T some of y'all might be interested in:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514210

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Ryand-Smith posted:

Why are so many goons nukes, this is a mystery, I mean drat, we have enough people here for a division.
Unique combination of smart yet so stupid that's the prevailing demographic on these forums, I suspect.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

Urinalysis cost the government about 1$ per person when you include all of the logistics according to the guy that ran the program on my ship.
They clearly didn't. Burdened labor rate for a sailor is a real number that I don't have the table handly for offhand, but it's higher than civilian labor.

Though they can freely ignore that because they can make you work unpaid overtime!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
You might want to delete most of that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KetTarma posted:

It was also a little depressing learning that DDR2 RAM isnt forward compatible, the AGP port doesn't exist in modern motherboards, and pretty much everything I used to know about computer parts picking is worthless. It was a fun little project at least even though I couldn't reuse most of what was left over from my old desktop from 2008.
It's OK, that's all obsolete old crap anyhow. New computers are stupid easy to build. Remember when you had to manually assign IRQs and DMA with jumpers and dip switches on ISA cards, and if you had a conflict, the computer wouldn't boot? Ah, those were the days...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

camino posted:

Only in the Navy would having your heart explode be considered the good deal.
I think the Marines would, too.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Blackbird Fly posted:

No, sorry. I don't like massive debt.
If you're facing massive student loan debt with no reasonable prospect to pay it off, you're either at the wrong school or in the wrong major. There is a difference between a career and a hobby; don't confuse them.

If you really want to go Navy, remember that Navy hires a shitload of civilians and contractors, too. Last numbers I saw, the Navy workforce was actually about 1/3 military, 1/3 civilian and 1/3 contractor. Signing away many years of your life is not a very good option. Also, DO NOT NOT NOT NOT ENLIST WITH A DEGREE!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:psyduck: lol

grover fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 21, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Actually working in a shipyard tends to be pretty awful. Especially if you're military because the civilians will take 'sick days' every holiday or whenever there's ugly work to do.

I got made shipyard 'advance crew' which involved a few days of cleaning up the barge and arranging some offices, then loving off for weeks while the boat was still at sea, that was the best deal the Navy ever gave me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Nukes go to Edison because it's literally "Show mil paperwork, fork over cash, get diploma." Which is also why the paper is worthless.

When I looked, Old Dominion had the most credible program that gave a lot of nuke credit. RPI is another serious school with a program but I don't think they gave much credit. Remember you don't want to burn your GI Bill on a 'nuclear engineering technologies' degree, you want to go for full-fledged engineering.
ODU also has a good distance learning program for a masters in engineering management, that sailors can even take while underway on a deployed sub; as heavily internet-integrated as things are these days, a couple of my profs have complained how difficult it is designing accredited coursework that can also be done entirely offline.

Though, I have to wonder... if you're in a position to be working on an engineering masters degree... what the gently caress are you doing on a deployed submarine?

grover fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread