Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Silentgoldfish posted:

...The Heroes is one battle from many different perspectives.

When I started reading this and saw just how many characters he was introducing, I nearly gave up there and then. I hate those overlong fantasy novels where you need a goddamn flow chart to keep up with who everyone is. But I persevered and ended up being very impressed by the skill with which Abercrombie handles the frequent changes of perspective in the novel. As the story unfolds, you can always understand what's going on and how the fighting is progressing; at the same time, you develop a interest in each character and what's happening in their own little part of the battlefield. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chamberk posted:

I'm getting into Half the World and it's reminding me a lot of Frans Bengtsson's book The Long Ships, which is a badass book about vikings in 990 AD traveling all over Europe and raiding and such. One scene in particular seemed pretty similar, and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe had read it.

Just read The Long Ships after hearing about it here and, yep, it was certainly a 'heavy influence' on Half The World! i.e. Abercrombie massively ripped it off in the course of writing the book

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fader Movitz posted:

There's a really awesome comic adaptation of The Long Ships (Röde Orm) made by Charlie Christensen, I don't know if it's been translated into English though. But if you can read Swedish (Or Danish or Norwegian) you should definitely check it out.

I thought the Long Ships was pretty comic as it was?

Or was i reading it wrong

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Finally read Sharp Ends, and have to say that it's a disappointment. Namely because the stories amounted mostly to unsatisfying vignettes, and because it kind of breaks the setting. Javre is just too over-the-top for the world of the story, to the point where the whole principles of the overarching narratives start to falter. The whole point is that heroes are people like Logen NInefingers, Whirrun, and Bremer dan Gorst - monsters and failures. And the dialogue goes from tongue-in-cheek to straight up bad a lot of times.

Yeah, I found it pretty disappointing myself. Abercrombie's thing has always been flawed characters making impossible decisions in a brutal and uncaring world. Take out the character development and plot that you get from a novel-length story and all you're left with is the brutality. As I was reading it, my reaction became: Oh look: it's ANOTHER short slice of life piece where a bunch of nasty, self-serving people double-cross and murder each other. Didn't I just read the same thing ten minutes ago?