Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

up tha wurld

Major, let me know if this posting style is obnoxious or distracting and I can just go back to regular text. It was fun in the Aminal Warz thread and I'll try to keep it both appropriate to the setting and on topic.

for purposes of tallying, ##Brut-05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
on the RP front (just my own opinions):

characters should be the means to an end, not an end in themselves. They should spice up and add flavour to discussion of which animal would win and why, and that should be all they do. If you're going to make a post with no mention of the two contestants, then what is it adding for the people reading the thread? not a lot. Remember the purpose of the posts here that are not by the zoofights team is to provide fodder for the main event, the fights.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The first couple of zoofights threads were just that, and they worked pretty well

Again, this is just my personal take, not official dictation etc etc. And like I said, I LIKE a bit of RP, but when there are five posts in a row consisting of fictional characters basically chatting about off topic stuff and NOT discussing who would win in a fight between a cyborg warthog and an antigravity squid with kinetic weaponary, then it gets a bit tiresome for the people not actually involved in the conversation.

To me, the best bits of the threads (other than the teams posts of course) are the deadpan arguments about the contestants. So it's great when a Victorian big game hunter persona discusses the minutae of warthog behaviour and how it would kill a squid with its tusks viewed through the lens of his experience, but when that same persona makes a rambling post about how he doesn't like some robot character and what drink he is ordering with nary a mention of the actual creatures, 99% of the people in the thread simply do not read it.

There are very rare exceptions, such as Lily Limbcakes, but these are unusual (and remember lily most definitely sprung from on topic roleplay, she was a member of one of the fighting teams originally if I recall correctly). The settings are there to add a bit of flavour and background to the actual fights, not form some freeform RP setting

God, I sound like such a killjoy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

##Snake Preview

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TwingeCrag posted:

Awesome, but X and Y should be totals rather than averages

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Ever since the Ryugyong Love of the Glorious Leader Floating Ziggurat was revealed to be made of papier mache and held up on perspex rods by an army of 40,000 political prisoners, there have been serious doubts about the honesty and reliability of North Korean tech. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out the weaponary and armour of Great Leap Forward is indeed made out of melted down pots and pans, and so full of impurities and bits of burnt food that it just shatters as soon as it makes contact with anything harder than loam.

Even if the weaponary works, there's a very high likelihood the genetic and behavioural modifications to the grasshopper underneath all that tech won't have taken properly. Grasshoppers are prey animals, not predators, and are naturally flighty and nervous. Great Leap Forward is used to attacking enemies no more dangerous than mud and sticks, he's just not prepared to take on a vicious, armoured foe with the strength of his convictions. Instinct will take over and he will attempt to escape, not attack

There's a small chance than the Party has managed to kidnap and threaten enough gifted scientists and engineers that their monstrosity will actually work as intended. This will still mean nothing. ##THE SNAPTURE is a goddamn truck sized Snapping Turtle. Even a regular snapper has the strength and resilience to scare off an alligator, how could a drat INSECT beat one 100 times that size? Add to that the fact the armour on his back is going to be a good 8 inches thick, not to mention that even his "soft" parts are going to be like goddamn granite compared to the thin crunchy coating on the grasshopper. A NORMAL snapping turtle has a bite pressure of 1500 psi, and The Snapture is no ordinary snapping turtle. If he can get a hold on the bug, it doesn't stand a chance

Speed may of course be an issue. But contrary to popular conception, grasshoppers are not speedy animals. Sure their jump has a great deal of power behind it, but everyone forgets the jump is a flight response, not a fight response. It's a retreat, not a charge, and is wildly inaccurate. When actually trying to aim and bring his substandard weapons to bear, Great Leap Forward will be forced to use his forelimbs, not the powerful but uncontrollable hind, and will be reduced to a shambling slowpoke.

Finally, there's the issue of actually harming The Snapture. As previously said, the shell of the beast is probably 8 inches thick, and unlike brittle stone, has enough flex and malleability not to shatter under pressure. That covers the vast majority of the biting behemoth, with just the tail, limbs and head exposed. But it would do Great Leap Forward little to no good to go for the tail or legs, the armour there may not be of the calibur of the shell, but iron hard scales will still be 2 inches thick, and would require sustained attack in a single spot, something Snapture will never allow. The same goes for the head. The only way the insect stands a chance of hurting Snapture is to go for the soft tissues; the eyes, and the inside of the mouth. And if anyone gets close enough to attack the inside of a mouth capable of exerting thousands of psi on the end of a neck than can snake to 3 times its resting length and under the control of a mind which volunteered for the zoofights, I wouldn't rate their chances.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
MEMEME!

wait, I don't have a character

um...here's a GIS'ed picture of a kraken?

Click here for the full 550x831 image.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

tentacles are a weapon right?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Oh No!

Oh well, no Gorillian dollars today. And I really wanted those 15 votes too. Maybe next time

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
holy poo poo the art is AMAZING, Snapture is now my new desktop

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
OH GOD YES

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Hey guys, what does this look like to you?

'Cause to me

It looks like

A Boat

##Commodore Croctopus

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Fantastic ending

I'd be fine with a ##longer season,

however, I'm still a bit less keen on the (heavy) RP posts than the people making them seem to be. Even though many of them (Gezora, Lily Limbcakes from last year, fight yer mates) add to the tournament, I think too often they can drive people away from the thread when they get too involved, and drift too far from disscussing which ridiculous fictional beast would win in a fight to the death. Doing this in character? great. Chaos emeralds and endless background? not gonna read 'em, would rather not have to skim 50 posts of RP for every reasoned argument. The RP also creates a much bigger divide between the threads and the site, and fragments the thread itself.

I'm just worried that if there's too long between fights, people in the thread will get bored and there'll be even more off topic RP. So maybe either closing threads in downtime, or a new thread for each fight would be best.

For merch: I would buy a print of Snapture (that really good painted pic). There's been some AMAZING artwork. There are online services that will print on demand, so you don't have to worry about stock. Obviously you'd need to discuss it with the individual artists, but as you say all the money is being ploughed back into the tournament. Or maybe let each artist set up a zoofights-specific account on Deviantart or whatever (they offer a print service) and link it from the main site.

A card game would be sweet, but to really capture that zoofights feel you'd need to find a mechanic that allowed the knockout tournament system to remain, and upgraded each winning critter between battles. Also, lots of cards to reverse your fortunes, including a special card called "random factor, like a tractor". The Zoofights magic is lots of fakeouts and surprises, not just shaving off each others hit points until attrition finishes one of you off. If you can capture the unpredictability and excitement of your writing style, a card game could be amazing. Also making it expandable, so you can add new creatures without re buying the core game

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

quote:

If by no existing characters, you mean "no-one plays Snapture" or something similar, then I agree. If Major Failure or a close team member wants to do something with them, that's cool, but no-one should just pick up and play a character.

I'd go one further and say I would personally prefer no preexisting characters. Dr Who, Dr Robotnik, all that (no offence to you guys, just plucked you out of the air and I skipped the vast bulk of your posts anyway, I'm sure the writing was fine). Gezora is the only one who gets a free pass because lets face it, the character he plays isn't exactly the Gezora of film fame, and obviously commentary characters controlled by the team like Al Swerengen are fine. Like I said, I like IC posting if you stick to the topic, and I did it myself in Aminal Warz and the first couple of rounds with a whole scrawled replies on cardboard gimmic. But when you basically make your own narrative that only you and 2-3 other people are participating in, it clutters the thread.

I know I harp on about this, but it really does make it harder to participate when a couple of dozen people are making 3000 word posts where they argue *with themselves*. Also, the description of actions in posts (like "hi I'm Bob" Bob waves at you) are really really really annoying, they literally make me cringe. It changes it from "these guys are giving their verbal input to an argument" and turns it into some Gaia online bullshit.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Also, dropping the griping, I'd love to help out next year. I can't really draw all that well, but I can do plasticene/mixed media models. Once I get my poo poo together, I'm tempted to try and make a rubber animation puppet of croctopus with a wire skeleton (not that I'll have time to animate him, but he'd be a neat monitor buddy)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PoapSoap posted:

I think RP is one of the main reasons ZF thread is so successful. If someone was turned off by the RPing they could just click the link that showed only the Major's posts. I did this for much of the main events, and found that it worked quite well. the website is also a good resource for people who don't like the RP. I do vote that we tone the rp down a little next year though. I found the rp between the doctors, and Lesko/Robotnik, hard to follow. There was an unusual amount of demons this year too. If a post was more than a couple sentences I probably just skipped it (Unless it had pictures). We should keep the RP along the lines of the ZF storyline next year, and avoid creating storylines that take attention away from the main storyline. It's not the RPer's story that's important, but the ZF storyline is the main event. We should keep that in mind, and make sure our personal stories play along with that of the main event.

Yeah, going back on some of my more extreme statements, this seems a happy medium. Don't RP to interact with each other and create your own stories, RP to interact with Zoofights and enrich the zoofights storyline.

man, I need to ## take myself less seriously

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Mad Hatter posted:

Therefore, I propose the idea Good arguments get votes. I imagine a thing like voting going on as it is, but the staff announcing at the end of the vote; "And because of good points raised for fighter B, B gets +5 votes". Of course, the balancing depending on how good the arguments were.

I'm not sure if this would work or not, but I'd like to put it out for consideration. It would put more power into the staff, but I feel that's no problem. It would just be a good way to reward good arguing and a fighter that has an obvious advantage. The underdog should always have a chance, though, that's one of the most awesome aspects of zoofights too.

from the OP of this actual thread

Major Failure posted:

The outcome of the fight will be decided by your arguments, your conviction and your anger. Make clear which contender you think will win the brawl, and if possible shout down and rubbish anyone who disagrees with you.

Generally, there will be 48 hours between the announcement of a fight and the fight itself, to allow time for it to be drawn, coloured and possibly animated. In that time, we will monitor the strength of arguments here and on the website via a scoring system, and then feed that into a random number generator to get a result.

Basically, one word votes don't count, and every word said in support of an underdog increases the chances of a surprise victory against the odds.

So yeah, your idea has been in effect from the word go, the only difference is they don't actually announce the outcome (which wouldn't be practical anyway, given the sheer number of posts, it would just bee unnecessary clutter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Major Failure and The crew do highlight what they thought were really good posts from time to time, and while not actually awarding points in public, it was very clear to me that these posts were being used to bump the scores of the competitors. I think a couple of times someone outright said a particular post made a big difference