Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
My mom collects kangaroos, so I made these for her last Christmas:

The pattern I used was McCall's 6400, and I gave them bows also but never got a good picture with those on. They were handstitched and took forever, then I ended up getting a sewing machine for Christmas myself :haw:

Also, just made:

From nolen's :frogout: pattern. The small one is 1/3 size and was for practice, that's why he looks a bit off (pulled the dimple string too hard, now he's a buttchin.) If there's still any interest in frogs, I'd really like to make and sell more of both sizes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I've got a question, what's the best craft glue for felt/fleece? I used krazy glue for the pupils and nostrils on my frogs but I'm sure there's something more appropriate I could be using.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I'm not worried about the krazy glue as far as strength is concerned, it just annoys me how it makes the felt stiffen up after it's applied. I've got a bottle of Aleene's tacky glue lying around, but I bought that for papercrafts and I think it's really water soluble... though they make fabric glues too, maybe those are good?

I'm terrible at pricing things, looking at the previous frog thread I was thinking around $50 for fullsize ones might work? Something like $20-30 for the small frogs probably, I've also got pieces printed for a half-scale version. I'm hoping at least the cheaper ones will garner some interest, they can be desk buddies and stuff! Just waiting on a replacement camera cable so I can get better pictures before I try starting a SA-Mart thread.

Also I forgot to add this one to my last post, it was a prototype for a giant tarantula pattern I've been trying to figure out for ages:

I got tired of sewing the legs so it's missing its pedipalps (and spinnerets cause I got lazy.) The weird fabrics are cause I was literally using whatever scraps I could find, the ideal finished version would be faux fur, as anatomically correct as possible, and 2.5-3' long :3:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Ironically, I think the small ones are going to take me longer - I shrunk the seam allowances with the rest of the pattern, and trying to sew them that close on the machine was making me throw pattern pieces at the wall after the fifth time redoing them. They'll have to be handsewn :smithicide:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
What I'd really like to make, as a personal project, is a giant tarantula~ I suck at figuring out patterns though, why the hell is there no affordable plushmaking software available? I've just been considering making papercraft patterns and then trying to derive fabric pieces from those.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

Awful picture because I only have a crappy dumbphone but cross-posting from tumblr

I made a sheep from Catherine. The stitches are actually really clean, but he's covered in fuzz so it looks like they're not.. the material wasn't so friendly. I still managed to get the FIGHTING POSE I wanted tho.

The horns are knit!! :3:
Ohhh man, that's cute as all hell, the buttons are perfect for sheep eyes too :swoon:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
A question for anybody who's mailed a :frog:, what was the shipping like / what kind of packaging did you use? Whenever I usually mail things out, it's jewelry or other small stuff :ohdear:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Nolen, I'm curious, do you do sewing etc as a job or (really expensive) hobby? I'm just completely envious of your setup, is all :( I especially want a copy of that plush pattern making software, holy crap I could never justify it for the price though.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Funhilde posted:

My next project is going to be a very simple cat shape so that I can use it for my Cat Tie photos.
Have you seen this pattern? http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/cat/ragdoll.html It's a super cute one I've been wanting to try for a while but I haven't had the materials.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I just finished my first plush commission :kimchi: I'm okay at sewing stuff from premade patterns but I'd never made my own pattern before. Furret is basically a stripey tube though so I was like poo poo HOW HARD COULD THAT BE (famous last words maybe but surprisingly I was right)

He's 3'3" / 1m long and made of flannel, with fleece pawpads and plastic safety eyes. He’s stuffed to be very floppy and flexible, and makes an excellent shoulder buddy.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

flutterbyblue posted:

Oh man, that's absolutely adorable! :swoon: I've done my own patterns before and I'm impressed with how well it came out for a first time. All my first time original pattern critters look a little wonky.
What I did was reference a bunch of official art to get him as on-model as possible, doodled out a profile view, and traced that onto a paper towel. I used the tiny paper towel pattern to figure out the belly gusset etc and some attempt at figuring out how the face would go, then scanned it and resized it to the proper huge size in Photoshop to test the patten pieces with muslin. I'm surprised the body pattern went so well considering the initial one was only a few inches long! Anyway then I stuffed the muslin body and figured out the neck/forehead/face in better detail with more paper towels before I used the real fabric.

Flannel was interesting to work with, not too bad though. I took a bunch of photos of different material I had available in the right colors and the commissioner chose it, so that's why I went with it. I hope someone else wants one so I can use minky and make it lifesized :haw:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Comrade Quack posted:

Those look cool. I've been interested to check out the molding casting stuff but haven't found anything in want to cast yet.

I made some "improvements" to the Get Out Frog. This one has a zippered mouth which can be opened and closed.

That rules, I'd wanted to try something like that but didn't have any confidence in altering the pattern past making 1/3 and 1/2 size frogs. I really oughta try it sometime, it looks great!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Probably some of you are familiar with Squishables, those enormous spherical stuffed animals? Well, they have a biweekly design contest called Open Squish where people can send in their concepts which then fight to the death in two-week rounds, with the winners becoming produced as actual plush.

Noticing a distinct lack of bugs in their lineup and spurred by boredom I started throwing designs in recently, and got several of them entered in the ongoing bug-only rounds! Here's my concepts for this round:

Mexican Redknee Tarantula (Brachypelma smithi)

This was the first one I submit, I think it's pretty good but it's just been doing middling in voting, probably not cuted up enough for the general audience (spiders are already cute though, dammit.)

Rainbow Jumping Spider (Maratus robinsoni)

This one I submit when I heard they were gonna do bug-only rounds, I didn't expect both of my spiders to get added together but they were so :woop: This has actually been doing incredibly well in voting and has roughly maintained the required 3.9 average score to win. Every time it hits 3.9 or higher though it keeps slipping back just under, it's kinda nerve-wracking!

Has anybody else in here participated in Open Squish? It's pretty simple to do if you have a good idea for making an animal really really round, and the prizes are pretty great!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I haven't tried making actual patterns for either of them (if one wins then I won't have to either :v:) but I did roughly model the jumpy in Sculptris and slapped on a paint job to get the angles right for when I drew it:

Also, here's my luna moth which was in round 1 of the bug contest (the winner of that one was a super super cute bee, I had no chance!)

First version I sent in, honestly I like this one better

Second version with some revisions that they asked for, this was the one that was up for voting

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I'm tempted to make a big normal-shaped moth pattern, it'd be way easier than the 3' tarantula pattern I was working on a while back at least. Also if it was big enough you could use the wings like a blanket :3:

I've been posting doodles of the spiders doing Activities each day on my tumblr to encourage reblogs / votes, it seems to be working to the extent that I'll wake up with a 3.90 for the jumpy and then it inexplicably drops .02 points again during the day :arghfist::cry:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

TOO CUTE.

(Do you mind if I give one of these a shot?)
Sure, that would rule to see (plus I might have to bum the pattern off you if I don't win :v:)

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

!!!

Thanks a ton. I'm sorta making a pattern now. I might give it a shot tomorrow. If it goes well, I will take some photos of the pattern. Warning, I tend to make the pattern out of cardboard with terrible instructions, but I will try :3
v :) v I draw my patterns on paper towels and tape them together to guesstimate how the finished product will look, then take them apart again to stick in the scanner so I can trace a "nice" version.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Fiddling with it. Gotta do details and limbs and mandibles.
Holy poo poo :swoon:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Not perfect, quite a bit of a rush job but I just wanted to finish it while I still had the inspiration. She's not as spherical as I wish, but still a cutie. Will prolly end up as a gift to someone.

If I were to do it again professionally, I'd embroider the eyes on to get them to look 200% nicer. The mustache and the pseudopods would be made with microfur to make them fluufier as well.
Haaaaa, you did a great job, that is too adorable to stand :allears:

Also a friend with a much larger audience than me shared my link last night and it's gotten a massive amount of attention, it's looking really likely that my jumper will be professionally produced..!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Those cats are ultra cute, I wanna grab the pattern sometime and make all of my cats as dolls and make/find little clothes for them and stuff :3: I think I already favorited it on etsy so I can get it later.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
:woop: it's happening :woop:

http://www.squishable.com/pc/opensquish_jumping_spider_35211/prototypes/Squishable+Rainbow+Jumping+Spider

Now I'm really hype to make some patterns for moths or something, can't afford fabric at the moment but I think I have enough scrap materials left over from other projects that I could put something together.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I keep wanting to try making a giant squid, I bet it'd make a great body pillow cause of the shape.

Also, I suggested that they could try rainbow tiedye fabric for the spots so they made a poll on facebook about it :v: https://www.facebook.com/squishabledotcom/photos/a.152032510379.155711.82290115379/10152494318110380/?type=1 Honestly I dunno which looks better myself!! I am pretty in love with the rainbow fabric they have, but I did design the solid colors to look nice together.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I wish I'd used a zipper when I shipped that meter-long Furret to Wales, but by god I was determined to cram it into a 1' envelope (and actually managed to with a ton of plastic wrap.)

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The third and final bug round of Open Squish just started, and I've got another arachnid design in it -

Please meet my Scorpion, I based its design on the Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) cause I figured that'd be a pretty good choice for an enormous fluffy ball. If the design is cool and you think it should be a thing, please vote 5~

It'd be way too awesome if it could win after my jumping spider, but I foresee a much more difficult contest this time around since scorpions aren't traditionally seen as cute :(

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Your stuff is soooooo cute :3

I wish I remembered how to properly make spheres. Would make sewing them easier.

I know at least two methods to make spheres, one being the fat round diamonds way, and the other being the baseball way.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
There's a sneak peek now of the first prototype of my jumping spider~

I guess I can understand moving the legs to the abdomen for ease-of-manufacture reasons but I wish they'd kept his moustache and made his pedipalps fuzzy. I do like that it appears they used a very light lavender in place of the white, looks classy!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Brainbread posted:

Does this mean I should make another one? xD
Any excuse for MORE SPIDERS is always a good one! I'm very curious to see what changes in the second prototype though, sounds like it only needed minor tweaking so it might show up in ~2 months if previous designs are anything to go by.

Also I didn't mention it here before because it was a bit too 2D, but I also have a winning pillow design that should be out sometime in December :3:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
If anyone remembers that Squishable ice dragon pillow I designed in September, it finally became available yesterday and the first batch sold out in less than an hour

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
You may remember my ~beautiful spider son~ who won a round of OpenSquish last year -

(still in prototype limbo due to tiedye fabric shortage, apparently. I have been told either they'll solve this or make him with solid spots)

Well, I've got a new design in the current round which has been yoyo-ing between a winning score and a not winning score! This is greatly complicated by the fact that the score requirement has been increased to 4.15, meaning any votes besides 5 only serve to dunk the average and are just deliberate dream-killers.

Please take a look at my nautilus and give him a 5 if you agree that he's cute and good and deserves to exist in this world! I even wrote a stupid poem for his description, which I am proud of.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Silver Alicorn posted:

:f5h::five:

I love nautiluses
Thanks! I've been trying to encourage voting / sharing with RAD PRIZES, so here is a tiling nautilus wallpaper I made for that purpose.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Silver Alicorn posted:

Did this get anywhere? I tried to signal boost it on my tumblr but it didn't get a single updoot.
I got nearly 1000 votes (like twice that of the jumping spider) but the average score was still far too low in the end :( Speaking of my jumping spider though, I've been told that they finally solved their tiedye fabric supply problem, and spiders will be released early? this year!!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Guys, Squishable made a very special post during lunch today...

SOON.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
yEAH I was at work when I got that email and the coworker I was training at the time was very understanding about my mad flailing.

(look at this perfect creature)

Also, as luck would have it, I currently have another spider in OpenSquish right now, this time a pinktoe tarantula. The score is fairly good but not quiiiite the required 4.15, so if you like that one too please throw a 5 at it! More Spiders = Better Than

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Tardigrade posted:

Update: rainbow jumping spider confirmed for best squishable. Look at this image of perfection.

thank you for loving jumpkin

• Locked thread