Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

A former coworker of mine was supposed to start a trial in Maricopa County today. The defendant is Latino. The entire panel was racist and had to be dismissed. The prosecutor didn't even try to defend any of them it was so bad. They are trying with a fresh 60 tomorrow. Oh the joys of criminal defense work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

All I can think about when someone says Chile Relleno is the episode of Top Chef where the neck tattoo lady made one stuffed with seitan.

That was the most disgusting thing ever produced on that show.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

It's not that uncommon at good schools. Pre-2009 25% of the class would get them. Now...probably more like 10%.

I was just about to post pretty much this. As an '08 graduate I think pretty much everyone in my class who wanted a big firm summer associate their 1L year got one. Of course now several of those people don't have jobs at all so...yeah, times have changed.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm so glad I went to law school before youtubes and law revues

I thought my law school was filled with douchebags but holy cow none of them were youtube bad.

HiddenReplaced posted:

The MPRE is a joke, and if you can't figure out how to pass it on your own you shouldn't be allowed to be a lawyer.

Agreeing with this. I took it cold during my 3L year long after I'd forgotten everything I read if I ever read anything relevant for it. Passed with flying colors.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

In case it didn't register when the dozen people above me said it - unless you don't care where you go and just are looking for the most convenient place to get a law degree so you can keep your job, or you have some other really compelling geographic reason to stay in Texas, there's no other reason whatsoever to take Texas over Michigan.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ani posted:

I don't know if I'm stealing this from this thread, or somewhere else, but if you want to know if you should be a lawyer, do the following easy self-test:

Take two retail financial products that you use (two credit cards, or two bank accounts, or two student loans, or whatever), and for each, gather all the relevant documentation - the agreement, the terms and conditions, the various terms of service for each feature, like the agreement they make you read when you pay your bill. Now, read through them all and summarize them, without omitting anything. Then, compare the two accounts to each other, and produce a short summary of the differences in the accounts.

If you graduate from law school and are very lucky, the above is what you will get to do for 12 hours a day while being screamed at.

This is what happens to people who go to law school for the money.

Don't go to law school for the money.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

God, I can only imagine the incredibly chaotic effect this has on sentencing, or how this could be seen as a positive thing for any party involved in the criminal justice process. What state is this?

I know Texas does this. I wish Arizona did.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There has been a little bit of movement in government jobs too. Not much, but certainly more than there was a year ago.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nm posted:

The best part about my practice is that I don't need to care if the client pays.

I was just thinking that! :cool::hf::cool:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

That's one more thing they don't tell you in law school: regardless of your specialty or practice area, you will be dealing with crazy people on a daily basis.

In some cases literally.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Louisiana uses "State v. Criminal" so the prosecutors sound like totalitarians.

Does anyone else's bailiff say something dumb when the judge takes the bench, like "oyez oyez oyez" or "god save the state of Louisiana and this honorable court"?

Nope. Just "all rise." Sometimes not even that.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

entris posted:

This breaks my heart.

I hate that sort of stuff. It's just so filled of half truths that nobody can ever tell what actually happened.

Not to be that guy but failure to advise of collateral consequences is IAC in most jurisdictions. She has legal remedies assuming time hasn't lapsed...which it almost certainly has. This is assuming she wasn't advised that all of those things would happen. There's no mention there whether she was or not.

On the other hand, if she was looking at mandatory prison if convicted she would have lost her kids for that reason if she lost at trial. That she "maintained her innocence" tells us nothing about the weight of the evidence against her. For all we know reading that article her attorney did the best he could for her by advising her to plead and saving her freedom if not her parental rights. I could go on a side rant about how maintaining your innocence and pleading guilty are the exact opposite but I'll spare everyone that for the time being.

The real problem here is that courts hold people in jail because the judges know it results in the case pleading out. A woman caught in a drug sweep whose case was so low profile that the state offered probation on it probably shouldn't have been held in the first place. But then the courts and the state would have to do their jobs and lord knows we can't have that.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Dagda posted:

Erma Faye Stewart's story was also told in that documentary The Plea - they interviewed her attorney too. It was a pretty clear from the interviews with her and her attorney that she was a deeply uneducated woman who had no idea what the ramifications of her decision were, and he was a busy appointed counsel who basically decided for her and couldn't remember who she was later. The documentarians also did some independent digging which suggested that she probably could have won. So while this after the fact stuff is always a little iffy, her story has been more robustly investigated than an ordinary newspaper anecdote.

I know that the problem is structural and it's not just that one attorney's fault that the system is this way, but he also fell down on the job of advising his client.

Edit: Yeah, she was caught in a drug sweep with 27 others, and everyone else who went to trial won - it turned out the CI lied.

Oh god that's awful. Thanks for clarifying that.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lilosh posted:

I'm wondering what's to prevent shrewd defense attorneys from withholding a borderline/ok plea from their client, letting their client go to trial, and if they lose, claiming "Oh my god, whoops, I accidentally forgot to forward this plea to my client, guess the state has to reoffer it!"

The Ethical Duty of Candor to the Court.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nm posted:

I don't know this case, but if I had a penny for ever in custody who took a terrible deal on a defensable case (or even factully innocent case) for CTS (getting out today) no matter how hard I urged them not to who then called me two weeks later or came to a probation violation hearing wanting to recall the plea saying I or another attorneyI know and trust didn't tell him/her about everything, I'd be retired.

I'm a PD too man, I know how it is. :)

One of the reasons I love representing old homeless people is they often will say "well gently caress it I'll just sit in here I got nowhere better to be let's fight it." I love that.

quote:

4. From now on, before trial begins, Courts will have counsel put all the pertinent plea bargain offer history on the record and will verify that the Defendant doesn't want the deal and/or did not accept an offer before it expired. (We already have a state ruling similar to Missouri v. Frye so we've been doing this for a while)

In Arizona we have Donald hearings that exist exactly for this reason.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

joat mon posted:

I have had DA's use the Liar Liar "Because it's devastating to my case" line. Twice. "But Judge, it's our theory of the case" They were successful both times.

The line I really hate is the "But that's how we always do it!" argument from the state as if pointing out that doing something illegally and systemically is some kind of justification.

My office and the prosecutors are paid on the same government scale, but if you do the math on workload we get paid the same amount to do a lot more work than any of the prosecutors. The only person I've ever heard of switching sides here was because they hated their supervisor.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

3.) I know you are a CUT BRO and all instead of a flabby piece of poo poo like myself but I found hand exercises with one of those dumb squeezy things + a very nice wide-grip pen = PATHWAY TO SUCCESS on churning out 3 hours of handwritten nonsense (srsly why can't we use laptops gently caress this state forever)

Welp scratch Michigan off the list of bars I'd ever take. Holy god. Handwritten? What is this the Dark Ages? Even Arizona has caught up to laptop use. You're behind Arizona, Michigan. Jesus.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

State drafts stipulated plea agreement.

Defense/defendant signs it & all the forms.

Clerk fills out the sentencing order.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Having taken a fair number of these and being a CRT person, I'd have to say that the only way you could get in trouble in those classes is by being a racist or misogynistic douchebag so uh good luck with that.

I'm not sure if this is what he meant but many professors who teach such courses are notorious for grading based on a "how much do you agree with me about everything" scale.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If it seems like you guys are talking about different things, I think its because you are.

CRT type classes are still fairly new and taught in extremely different ways depending on where you go to school and even which professor you take the course from. A lot of schools put more emphasis into bragging that they have the course than making sure its being taught right which leads to hiring professors who do things like treat the topic as a fortress of moral absolutism that anyone who questions deserves to be given poor grades for failing to understand. This is why people seriously think that the topic boils down to "whitey is bad" because its actually taught that way some places.

I took like, three of these sort of courses my 3L year and two of them were incredible, the final was an infuriating course on the prison system where I went in hoping to learn solutions, i.e. how do I use all the problems with the prison system to get my client out of it, rather than just endlessly going around in circles "well I think prisons are bad because." I finally caved and wrote a final paper about all the reasons prisons are bad, all of which I was well aware of before taking the class, and just didn't include how me being aware of these things didn't help anyone get out. And I got an A and all sorts of patronizing comments about how I really understood it all. So loving useless.

So basically unless you know that the professor you are taking it from really knows their stuff its probably better to just get the reading list and do it on your own because the materials are often more interesting than the class itself.

Or if its taught badly you could just sign up, write a paper summarizing all the things any third grader could tell you about how whitey is bad, and coast by with an A while learning nothing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

J Miracle posted:

I take your point about lovely professors that want their views pandered to, but I'm not convinced that "everybody knows" that the prison system is bad or that privilege informs the creation of law. I think plenty of people aren't aware of systemic biases so even if you, in particular, are that doesn't make the class worthless. And even if the class didn't help you learn how to combat things you were already aware of, it may have helped other people at least be aware of these things, if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense but at the professional level a course should do more than raise basic awareness.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So to change the subject, Andrew Thomas, former Maricopa County Attorney (that's Phoenix, AZ for those who don't know) and one of the most evil Americans alive, was disbarred recently. The Opinion and Order Imposing Sanctions from the Arizona Supremes is pretty dramatic.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Feces Starship posted:

im literally going on IBR and praying for student debt relief legislation or waiting out the 25 year period. i figure that by the time the current college grads are in their 40s we'll have enough political clout to gently caress over those younger than us by making them pay for our debt, continuing the cycle that put us in this trouble to begin with

That's so beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

JohnnyTreachery posted:

http://usa-the-republic.com/jurisprudentia/bar%20card.htm

sovereign citizens own

It's not a vehicle! It's property! They can't tell me what I can do with my property! So what if my BAC was .4!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Cross posting this from the schadenfreude thread. A sovereign citizen discovers that his citizen of the several states real flesh not of admiralty and not joined by showing his ID self is bound by the laws of electricity after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU

Edit: The guy was in jail for a month for this, he was there for a bike reflector ticket.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 19, 2014

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

To me the funniest part of all that is that in the end he waived his right to trial. The one right that actually existed.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

ThirdPartyView posted:

Gold fringe on the flag, of course.

Goddamn jolly roger. :argh:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Every family law client intake--

"I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. DRUGS? That we can use. Are you on drugs too? Ahhhhh gently caress."

woozle wuzzle posted:

But he gave them to me!

Everything wrong with me is his/her fault! Everything wrong with him/her is his/her fault! Everything wrong with everything is his/her fault! I deserve free money!!!

I'll take a murder suspect over an average family law client any day.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jesus Christ.

Things might soon be only as bad as when going to law school was a terrible idea. Enroll now!!!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Alaemon posted:

Okay, so we remand back down to the lower court. Please enter these two orders and return to us for appeal. THREE MONTHS PASS. And the orders we get? "For the reasons stated on the record, motion is denied."

What were you expecting?

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Every time I think that I hate my job, I come back to this thread and remember that I'm one of the lucky ones.

I love my job. But still don't go to law school goon reading this because odds are good you aren't me and also I already have this job.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 2, 2014

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Torpor posted:

Did they actually take him to jail? Because I am pretty sure that simply taking him to the front of the court house and dumping him there would have been the ace move.

Yes, and he spent nearly a month there.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If I ever found myself in the position that I thought calling a law clerk and asking for strategic or legal advice was a good move I'd turn in my bar card.

In other news, hooray another hung jury. :suicide:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

e: bonus, your student loans would probably be dischargeable in bankruptcy if you lost your legs!

Preserving the quote for the investigation.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

RFX posted:

The thing that didn't click for me before law school: I went because I was miserable with my job and making no money. I went to law school on a half-tuition scholarship and overall don't have that much debt. I am now making four times what I was earning before law school! But the money doesn't matter - I am more miserable now than I was before. This is not a job that in any way improves your life, even if you have no debt and get lucky and get a NY-scale job.

So hey that actually worked out better for you than most law students, hooray! :toot:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

One day, in doc review, our computers got locked down so they would only run MS Office and the doc review software. The only reason they even allowed Office was because the doc review software needed it for some documents. Our collective nerdom couldn't crack the lock. Like the Swiss Family Robinson, we started scavenging what we could from our surroundings.

In Excel, you can make the cell size like 1 pixel and fiddle with the display settings and end up with a paint program. You highlight empty cells with various colors. Then with OCD use of formulas and buttons to hide/highlight cells, you can make crude animations (crude in both style and substance).

In Powerpoint, you can apply timers to objects so that they automatically appear and disappear at a given interval. With thousands of objects timed in succession you can make animated movies. We had some feature length ones that were funny to us, but to outsiders would appear like pathetic ravings scribbled onto toilet paper before death.

So, middle school computer class?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Bro Enlai posted:

Beautiful opinion from the 6th Cir. this week:

Bonus points for showing his naked chest to his bailiff a couple months prior and telling the media that, "Hot dog, yep that's me . . . I've got no shame in my game. I ain't talked to nobody else's wife … there's nothing nude about it. I'm in no more clothes than I'll be at the Y this afternoon when I swim my mile."

I love these, thank you.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

woozle wuzzle posted:

I met an honest to God sovereign citizen today. Things I learned, from a serious as a heart attack client:

You used to get a "registry of birth" at birth, but after the federal reserve was created they changed it to a birth CERTIFICATE! Look up certificate in Black's law dictionary, and it says certificates denote ownership. QED They literally own you.

The federal reserve created social security, specifically, to hide the truth of our true creditors. <ominous pause>

On every birth certificate there is a hidden bank name, sometimes scratched out, sometimes by anagram, that denotes which bank purchased you.

The entire taxation system is illegal because there is no law or constitutional right to tax labor. Income is defined as profits from business, but profits from labor are exempt from all collections. The Supreme Court has denied cert on every attempt since the federal reserve was created to cover up the truth.

I did not bring up my lack of experience with admiralty maritime law.

Every time I talk to one of these nuts I have the urge to fan the flames and tell them about secret un-depublished acts of congress or some poo poo, just keep making stuff up and see if they ever realize I'm bullshitting them. Since apparently they never realized whoever told them all of that other nonsense was bullshitting them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oyak posted:

Does anybody ITT have experience working at a mental hygiene court or with a mental hygiene legal service? It always seemed like a pretty unique form of law to me, I'm curious to hear what it's like.

Is this different than involuntary mental health commitments?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Is this the same thing as mental health court/law? I deal with it just about every day since we have a lot of mentally ill clients. I have literally no idea what it's like in the States, but generally it involves a lot of handholding, informal resolutions, discussions with doctors/health officials, and dealing with family. Pretty similar to low-tier criminal law generally, but a bit more involved and closer to being a social worker and less of a lawyer.

That's a pretty apt description of how it works here too, at least in my state, except usually there's no family or may as well be no family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Smoke a corncob pipe and make note of that in your filing, and assert the sov citizen did not and therefore has waived standing.