Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

NY just added a 50 hours of pro bono service requirement for admission to the bar, effective next year. I'm not immune to the problems with access to the justice system, but, reeeeaaalllyyyy?

Can it be doing anything, such as volunteer tax preparation/representation before the IRS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

entris posted:

That's a good strategy - what's the ratio of blowjobs to client referrals?

So is this based on real life...? :stare:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A quick question: if you have another graduate degree before you apply to law school, do they look at the graduate GPA only, undergraduate GPA only or some weighted formula of undergraduate and graduate GPA? I actually did well in both, just was wondering as a general matter.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 20, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lote posted:

Dewey just formally filed for Chapter 11 on Monday night.

Any other firm on the chopping block?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Linguica posted:

Alaemon, you're forgetting the vast intricate conspiracy that all us lawyers and judges have designed and implemented to keep ordinary citizens from finding out about their inalienable rights and sovereign freeman status. If they were to discover the truth, our laws would have no power over th- but I've said too much already...

So it's basically some convoluted Allegory of the Cave? :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Agesilaus posted:

Hmm, there's this one sovereign citizen that has been in court lately and he comes with his own fez-wearing entourage, I think they're all middle eastern, but I haven't been paying too much attention. I just sit back and watch the judge deal with it.

Are they Shriners, maybe?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I read an article a few weeks ago (after Dewey & LeBoeuf filed for bankruptcy) saying that the traditional partnership model for law firms is antiquated and that they need to change. Is there a legitimate basis for the gripe or is it :derp:?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bro Enlai posted:

Take something with Dershowitz if you want 1 hour 20 minutes of Unca Dersh's Story Time about the OJ Simpson trial, or the Mike Tyson trial, or the time he punched a dude once

Did someone bring up Norman Finkelstein and let the fireworks go off? :allears:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I won't have any problems paying off my student loans and all it took was being the beneficiary of my mother's life insurance policy.

The system works, go to law school!

Speaking of that...

I love how sleazy all these law school Deans are when it comes to defending spending over $100,000 on law school tuition with such terrible results (besides maybe if you go to a T-14 school), ignoring that interest accrues even if you're unemployed. Truly, role models to be proud of... :downs:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Not sure how other public law schools are like, but CUNY law school is pretty dirt cheap (~$12,000/year) and even though it's not a ranked school, at least you wouldn't end up in (much, if any) debt going there for a J.D. Kinda weird that people are willing to pay 2-4x as much for a program that gives equivalent benefits, work opportunity wise...

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 26, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

nm posted:

UCs cost a small fortune. Out of state at UCLA is more than at USC.

Isn't UC Berkeley a T-14 school? Also, hasn't CA been slashing the poo poo out of University funding (moreso than NY has with the SUNY and CUNY systems)?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

entris posted:

Wait, what? He used his power of attorney to rob his client, and you are saying he only got a public reprimand? Not disbarment?

I'm assuming he was reprimanded by the bar on a different situation.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

entris posted:

You know how sometimes you read about a successful lawyer, and you go "drat, that person is ridiculous and better than me in every way"? (For law students, you do this, you know you do, every time you read about the newest SCOTUS law clerks, or in my case, whenever I talk to Green Crayons)

Anyway so clearly this guy Adam Chodorow is the best tax lawyer on the planet:

Yeah, that's right, this motherfucker has the top tax paper on SSRN right now with a paper that has the keywords "income tax, tax policy, estate tax, trusts and estates, zombies, undead, vampires, ghosts".

I will never be this cool. :(

Yeah, so why should it matter whether the undead are considered dead or alive, since you are subject to the gift tax when you're alive and the estate tax when you're dead with the $5 million Unified Tax/Estate Credit (unless, of course, he's arguing that those scheming undead scumbags want to gift everything when they're 'alive' in order to get the somewhat better tax position than leaving their assets in the estate... drat YOU, ZOMBIE BASTARDS! :argh:)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kalman posted:

Whether you'd want to is a totally different question. (They may get paid a third more, but they also owe an extra ton of money compared to you, not to mention the 3 years opportunity cost you'd pay just to do the same work.)

Surprisingly (or perhaps not), a lot of firms in both private industry and in public accounting have CFOs/Controllers/Tax Managers/Partners that are tax attorneys (often with both a J.D. (and possibly also LLM in Tax Law) and a CPA). Not sure if it's for prestige or for in-house memos like covered opinions that could hold more weight than 'just' a CPA writing it.

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 3, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Paramour posted:

Most US UG schools don't give an A+ either.

I know my Undergraduate school gave A+ grades, but they counted the same as an A- (IE: all A-level grades are 4.0, B-level are 3.0, etc) whereas my Graduate school had A as the highest grade (4.0) with A- being 3.7, etc. I think my Undergraduate alma mater is changing towards the latter policy going forward, however.

Also, I met my brother's trainer at the gym and he was a former law school admissions officer and attorney. His advice: DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL (although he said he enjoying the program itself, he said the law firm work was an unsatisfying pain in the rear end whereas he enjoys being a personal trainer).

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Can you believe the attorney didn't return the funds today like he promised?! I'm Shocked I tell you, Shocked!

Lie, cheat, steal: the American dream! :patriot: (Also the late Eddie Guerrero's catchphrase)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why would you want 2 doctorates in law? :confused:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Adar posted:

e: I look forward to a modern legal theorist trying to argue a case in front of a 7-2 conservative Supreme Court. "Social science surveys have repeatedly stated" *Thomas snores*

So, in other words, it'll be exactly the same since Thomas already is asleep/in his own universe 99% of the time anyway? :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

meiram posted:

LITC is pretty awesome. It's what I'm doing this summer and I'll be continuing into the fall. The IRS hold music gets tiresome though.

It's better than the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance's, though, and at least most of the IRS agents/reps I've dealt with are competent (albeit more of them tend to be assholes vs. the NYS people).

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

I recently had a similar experience.

Order of the Coif? More like Order of the Uncouth. :smug:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

I seriously cannot stand Commercial Paper, Creditor's Rights, and Secured Transactions.

I remember have all 3 (as well as a bunch of order vs bearer check/note questions) when I took the Regulation part of the CPA exam (for the 20% legal portion) - there really aren't too many variations on the legal concepts from what I recall.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I think they were busy taking the test...

Liar! We know you exited to "Ain't no stopping us now", now be forthright with us. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Martin Random posted:

Good for you. Of all the folks in corporate law, I have found that the tax people have been the nerdiest and most awesome to hang out with. Also, the easiest workload.

Not in Tax Law, though I do deal (amongst other things) with tax stuff at my firm. I tend to enjoy the tax-related work the most out of all my duties. I even have a copy of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and the Treasury Regulations (which I'm glancing at right now). Good times. :getin:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Schitzo posted:

Mix of planning and litigation at this stage, not sure which way I'll end up going right now, still too new to have much of an opinion either way.

Do you get to write covered opinions? I'm sure they're just fantastic to write up... :allears:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

wacko_- posted:

You're going to need to drink.

Better listen to him, Omerta, he's in pre-med. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Napoleon I posted:

We keep our contract attorneys literally in the basement. :smugdog:

Do they work in conditions reminiscent of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory? If not, that's disappointing. :getin:

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm tempted to apply to that with my cover letter saying "go gently caress yourself"

Do it and post the response (if you get any)! :sun:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Boxman posted:

Seriously 2012 sucks.

2016 is worse. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

I liked the part of his answer where he wants to promote manufacturing, because it's super encouraging to me as an upcoming law grad.

You can help set up entities that can help shelter income from taxation (or, alternatively, be allowed to qualify for the repatriation waiver)! :downs:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

quote:

In conclusion, I think this type of post has become more prevalent, and is in very poor taste. I would suggest that if such negative, disparaging bullshit needs to be posted at all, it should not be in /r/lawschool.

"Let's ignore the real world because we (tentatively) get to live in a magical world of legal wonder for (up to) 3 years, accruing ~$150,000 in tuition (plus room/board/etc) on the hope that we'll get a nice paycheck to pay down our ridiculously oversized debts at the end of said 3 years! What can possibly go wrong with that? :downs:"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

Can't really dive too much into specifics currently, but suffice to say, while he's no sovereign citizen, the various tax-related client stories you've read in here are fairly indicative of (a) how cooky his scheme was, and; (b) how adamant he was that we just didn't care/didn't know what we were doing/various other allegations about not trying to vindicate his rights and the reason why he's been entangled in this for two years is totally because all lawyers are lazy and out to get him and not because his proposed plan won't fly.

Did you hit him in the face with Circular 230 and order him to read it?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

A pay cut to make partner? How does that work?

Most of the compensation is in the form of partnership income and business isn't exactly booming, I'm guessing ("Feast or famine"). I have a friend who is a partner in a CPA tax practice where that's pretty much the case.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

"I don't even want to be a lawyer - I'm in a bluegrass band." - Pretty spot-on. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

quote:

At one point in the June 8 hearing Mr. Meads said that Mr. Meads (all capitals) was a “corporate entity” attached to his birth certificate.

Couldn't the judge have just said "OK, then we're piercing the corporate veil and holding the main shareholder liable since its clearly a facade for its alter ego - that's you, moron"?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

A double bar! :getin:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Grisham does appear to have a "Must kill off at least one judge per book" policy going on.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Truly, the embodiment of :911: - congrats!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

nm posted:

That poo poo is funny.

Best thing (IMO) is that Ron Paul thing in the random pile of Americana.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

insanityv2 posted:

Look at this stupid loving 0l

Isn't that pretty much all 0Ls, though? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I thought in a lot of towns and cities you get disqualified from some police academies by being overqualified in terms of education?